Gary Fisher Big Sur XC Hardtail

• Bontrager Select Disc wheelsystem
  • Manitou Skareb Super fork
  • Shimano M-750 XT rear derailleur
  • Shimano M520 ATB clipless pedals
  • Internally and externally butted aluminum frame

Submitted by Grzegorzek a Racer from Opole

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2011

Strengths:    wyscigówka, której nie czuc pod nogami, w zakretach szybki i precyzyjny, dwa pociagniecia korba rozpedzaja go dosc mocno, lekki w podjazdach.

Weaknesses:    lakier podatny na zarysowania i matowienia

Bottom Line:
z

Submitted by d_cuillin a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Weight, colour(!), forks

Weaknesses:    cheap cranks, no quick release seat clamp

Bottom Line:
Great h/tail. Very responsive. Great look. Just what I was looking for - need to change my riding after being used to a full suss!

Favorite Trail:   Golspie

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Alpine Bikes

Similar Products Used:   TRek 6500

Bike Setup:   as stock but DXM647 pedals instead of the candys

Submitted by drew a Weekend Warrior from cincinnati ohio

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    i think this bike is a great XC starter bike for someone that wants great componentry right out of the box

Weaknesses:    no pedals, doesnt come with a shock pump. the tires arnt that great and the saddle is terrible.

Bottom Line:
this bike is great for someone getting back into cycling and they have some change in their pocket.

Purchased At:   paradise bicycles in florida

Bike Setup:   stock w/ a easton carbon riser bar and oury large grips and a cloud 9 seat

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Northern Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight, decent grouppo and parts, very responsive...Did I say lightweight? I'm sold on the Genesis Geometry.

Weaknesses:    The fact that it came with a "Made in Taiwan" sticker in the head tube area.

Bottom Line:
The best climbing bike I've ever had. I am getting back into MTB after a 6 yr break and wanted to ride a familiar trail. So, I took it on it's maiden voyage on a trail I used to ride regularly in the past. Granted the hardtails I used to have were old technology and geometry, but this bike just climbed without much effort. Stay in saddle and grind and your at the peak before you know it. It's also real light and goes where you want it to. I didn't really try to bomb on the downhills, but was a little more conservative trying to feel the bike out and get my biking skills and timing back. It was definitely a great ride for my second ride of the year.

Similar Products Used:   '97 Klein Pulse, '99 Specialized Stumpjumper, '00 Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock '08 Gary Fisher Big Sur (Chi Red color) except for Shimano XTR pedals...

Submitted by Zack Geyer a Racer from Green Bay, WI, US

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is sweet. Carbon rear end softens up ride a ton. Great value and it is just fast in races.

Weaknesses:    Saddle (as with all newer trek bikes), Manitou forks (ride great but ive had to send mine in for repair 3 times), and wheels (i race a ton and the wheels just arent light enough for me)

Bottom Line:
The best it gets for a hardtail if you dont want to spend the extra cash on a full carbon frame. After a lot of severe abuse I seperated the frame but trek was cool about it and are giving me a new frame. With a few upgrades this is one of the best xc racing machines out there.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock

Purchased At:   Stadium Bike

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher tassara (old), GT zaskar pro, and turner sultan

Bike Setup:   Bike Setup: I replaced the saddle after one ride, I hate riser handlebars(personal preference) so i upgraded those, FSA 140 stem, bontrager x-light wheels, michelin xcr dry tubless tires

Submitted by Sebastian from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Strengths:    Superb frame...excellent geometry

Weaknesses:    none so far..components have taken a beaten over the years, just keep upgrading.

Bottom Line:
One of the best hard tails out there, solid and faithfull.

Favorite Trail:   Cox Hill

Purchased At:   Single Track

Similar Products Used:   Giant ATX, Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   complete xt, with lots of carbon all around. 23 Lbs.

Submitted by Vince a Weekend Warrior from Cerritos, CA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light. Good components. Handles and climbs great. Carbon seatstays.

Weaknesses:    Purple frame.

Bottom Line:
Excellent XC bike. I was shopping for a full suspension, but the ones in my price range ($1500) were heavy as a tank. I love my purple machine now. This thing really climbs like a billy goat. For a high end hardtail, I'd wished it would have came with XTR parts.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Oaks

Purchased At:   Jax

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the seat.

Submitted by eric sockness a Cross Country Rider from eau claire, wi

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    AC/DC carbon rear stays, Genisis Geometry, Double butted top and down tube
Balanced very well, climbs like a goat, decends sweet, Skareb fork is plush but responsive, the carbor rear stays have just enough give to soak up the gnarls, made in the USA, and well, it's a Fisher.

Weaknesses:    The stock Bontrager Select wheels were a concern of mine and they have not proved that concern wrong: the rear wheel is fading color in spots and the front hub is making a clinking noise. The wheels are up for warranty review. This is not to refflect on the whole bike though - just the wheels. The Skareb lockout feels a little Fisher Price-ish, hut I have not had any problems whith it.

Bottom Line:
This is the best riding bike I have had the honor of riding. It handles the trail unbeliveably. With the flat bar, it is cross country in its truest hard tail form. I sold my Jamis Dakar in hopes to spend a stupid amount money on a bmx bike and then I found this one. It rekindled the xc rider in me and I am hooked. Gary Fisher truly is the first and last name in mountain bikes (I have the Fisher emblem tatooed on my leg even), which makes sense, he basically invented the things (the Clunker I think he called it). Bottom line: if you want a hardtail xc bike, BUY THIS BIKE! Put on a new set of rims and set it up like mine and you have a race ready bike.

Favorite Trail:   Lowes Creek