Gary Fisher Advance Disc XC Hardtail

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum, G2 Geometry, butted and hydroformed tubing, cold-forged dropouts & BB
  • Wheels: Alloy DC20, Shimano M475 hubs, Bontrager 550 rims, Bontrager LT3 tires
  • Componentry: Shimano FD-C050 front derailleur, Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, Shimano ST-EF50 8spd shifters, Shimano FC-M151 crank, Promax TKB-320 mechanical disc brakes
  • Suspension: SR SF10-XCT-V2 100, 100mm travel, custom G2 Geometry 46mm offset crown

Submitted by Stumpy12 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2012

Strengths:    Looks: That is the best quality I think. Beginner Bike: It is a good beginner bike or casual rider bike for someone who will not use it a whole lot. Weight: It is heavy.

Weaknesses:    Components: If not used as a casual rider, the components will be lacking and do not hold up. I used mine for a year and a half and had to upgrade/fix quite a bit. I did get into XC racing and rode mine a lot and aggressively.

Bottom Line:
Overall I think this is a great beginner bike or kids bike for a casual rider. In that setting I think the components are adequate. I does look great and for a young rider should last quite some time. For someone who thinks they are going to be a serious rider like I ended up being, this is not the bike for you. It would much better to spend twice as much to get something that will hold up and perform better.

Would I recommend this bike? Yes and no, As stated above, I would recommend in to a beginner/youth casual rider.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River, NE

Duration Product Used:   1 1/2 years

Purchased At:   Thurman's Bike & Spo

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4300

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris676 a Weekend Warrior from Indy

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    Great looking frame; Decent value; Comfy saddle

Weaknesses:    Low-end drive-train components, such as Tourney crankset.

Bottom Line:
This bike looks good, true of all the current GF line. The build kit on this bike is pretty basic stuff. It's probably great for general use as a short commuter/weekend bikepath bike. I've only put 10 miles or so on it. I'm a "re-beginner" so I didn't want to (yes I did) spend 1000+ on a hardtail xc bike. I did pick up a set of Deore Hollowtech II cranks with external BB and Deore FD for $50 from Jenson that I haven't installed yet. The stockers are Tourney or below, blah. The brakes are Promax mech. discs which are my first set of discs. At this point they're not broken in and I haven't ridden them much but they seem sufficient for my needs. I intend to put some Rock Shox Tora forks eventually and perhaps upgrade the brakes/wheels but maybe not.

Favorite Trail:   The Oregon Trail

Purchased At:   Matthews Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kilauea, Schwinn Moab 3, etc...

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ added computer, lights

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!