Flyte Aresti XC Hardtail

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

3Al/2.5V titanium

Submitted by wellen a Racer from edinburg,texas

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2007

Strengths:    craftmanship and build quality,price.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
confidence inspiring bike,fast climber,corners with authority,absorbs small chatter bumps(comfy compared to the aluminum and carbon bikes)and no noticeable flex;simply great!!!

Favorite Trail:   warda

Purchased At:   flyte online

Similar Products Used:   trek 9.0 carbon hardtail

Bike Setup:   manitou black spv,spinergy wheels,xtr cranks,xo shifters and deraillers,etch.

Submitted by Alex Waid a Cross Country Rider from Mystic, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    Climbing ability, clean welds, power transfer, handling, support personnel, sweet looks,

Weaknesses:    Not many. Maybe the easily scratched-off decals under the clear-coat finish.

Bottom Line:
After a pretty long wait (b/c my frame was backordered, most people report receiving their flyte bikes in about 3 days to a week), my Aresti arrived a couple of weeks ago and my road bike is languishing in the garage. I got it XT all around w/ tubeless Bontrager racelite wheels. What a ride! This was an upgrade from a late 90's aluminum GT-Zaskar (which is a great bike too). The weight difference is minimal, but the ti frame on the Aresti is so forgiving on my rear and back. I've been riding at least once a day (and up to three times a day!) since I got it. The build was done well, shipping was superb and Dan "the man" Tille was a great help throughout the process. The only changes I'd recommend are adding bosses for a second water bottle cage on the seat tube and raise the bosses on the down-tube a few centimeters. I suspect that the lack of bosses for a second water bottle cage are due to my size "small" frame b/c the pics online show room for two. So, that said, amazing ride, great climber, smooth and grippy on slick singletrack descents. I'd give it two thumbs-up and would recommend it to anyone who is thinking of moving up to a ti frame and to anyone thinking of racing XC: this bike is fast and responsive.

cheers,
Alex

Favorite Trail:   Bluff Point-Haley Farm

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   199x GT-Zaskar (LX/XT/XTR combo)

Bike Setup:   XT all-around (hydraulic disc), Bontrager race-lite wheelset (tubeless), Hutchinson Scorpion tires.

Submitted by zeek soriano a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2006

Strengths:    To be tested

Weaknesses:    Airborne Lancaster with new head badge and stickers, Too expensive for a china made frame. Welds not of the highest quality.

Bottom Line:

Nothing on performance yet, but I find it too expensive for a china made frame. Thats why on my email they cant answer me where it was made. Buy it if your ok with china made stuff.

Favorite Trail:   bt

Purchased At:   www.flyte1.com

Similar Products Used:   DEAN colonel, salsa caballero, KHS alite 4000, santa cruz superlight

Bike Setup:   CK headset and hubs, thomson stem and seatpost, extralite cranks, sid team fork, magura brakes, sram x.o

Submitted by Ian Getzler a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    This product is all strengths. The Aresti is more legit than all the other bikes I was testing. I went out on a limb with Flyte, but I feel like I made off with the better deal!

Weaknesses:    I don't think Flyte understands the term weakness. They prove to be a very consistent road and mountain bike company.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that Flyte is the up and coming star of mountain biking. Buying online may seem somewhat "untraditional" but they have incredible customer service and an awesome website. If the bike doesn't fit, they have stem swap available and a 10day full moneyback gurantee. I have recommended this bike and all other Flyte bikes to everyone who rides and especially those who want a crazy good bike for a awesome price.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere hilly

Purchased At:   http://www.Flyte1.com

Similar Products Used:   KHS, Cannondale Scalpel, Specialize Hardrock

Bike Setup:   XTR crankset, all XT otherwise, disc, Manitou R7 Elite.

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Hanover, PA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    Well built titanium frame with clean welds and nice graphics. A good mixture of stiffness and forgiveness as a well built TI frame should be. I upgraded to a Manitou R7 100mm fork and it seems to be at home on this bike. Bike was assembled and adjusted perfectly, all I had to do was put the seatpost and seat in place and bolt on the bars. This is a great value for a titanium frame with XT disc set-up. This is the first I've used the XT disc brakes (I've used Hayes and Avids) and they're strong.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is the first time I have done a mail order bike. The guys at Flyte did a great job. The company sent me emails letting me know exactly when my bike would arrive. If you want a high quality titanium bike and don't want to go into debt forever this is the way to go. You can outfit the frame with a lot of different build options depending on what you are looking for and how much you want to spend.Check out the Flyte1.com website. I'll be using mine for both trail riding and racing.

Favorite Trail:   Grave's Ridge-Michaux Forest

Purchased At:   Flyte1.com

Similar Products Used:   a variety of xc bikes (Trek Fuel 98, Trek 8000, Trek 8500, Surly Karate Monkey, Cannondale m 2000)

Bike Setup:   Manitou R7; XT disc complete group with dual control levers; Bontrager bars, stem, seatpost; Cane Creek integrated headset; Hutchinson scorpion tires; Bontrager rims/hubs