Fezzari Kings Peak XC Hardtail

4.55/5 (11 Reviews)

The Fezzari Kings Peak mountain bike. It’s great for all-around riding – trails, bike paths, anywhere you want to go. It’s completely efficient with the hard tail rear and lockout fork. We start with the Fezzari Racing Design H4A frame that has the following features:

• Diamond-shaped tubing for more lateral stiffness and strength.
  • Extra-low top tube for low standover height.
  • Redesigned geometry that climbs better, corners better, and is more comfortable with a more upright sitting position.
  • The rear triangle has square tubing to give added strength and stiffness to the frame.
  • Reinforced gussets in the right places to give it superior lateral stiffness
  • Butting (thinning the tubing walls in the right places) to lower weight. The frame weighs just 3.7 lbs.
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty on the frame - the best in the business.

Submitted by AJAM

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2012

Strengths:    i'm working on my 5th year running this bike, still think it is one of the best deals i ever found on a bike.
my first review i posted was a explosion of love at first sight. this is an updated version
the frame is awesome a 5yr old bike with sub 4lb frame is amazing and now that my skills are improving I am looking forward to being able to upgrade componants.
the Fezzari 23 point custom setup has proved magnifcent

Weaknesses:    yeah unfortunately my fears about the rockshox j3 was well grounded had to replace the rebound adjust twice and the lockout went (thankfully without the violent repercussions some reviewers experienced) it just froze. so that just means its time for foxosity! in hindsight it proved to be a good fork but with no blow-off it was destined to fail eventually. i got almost 4 full seasons with it so its not a big deal...
other then the fork i've only had to replace a derailleur hanger once ($20) and break-pads 5 or 6 times ($10 a pop) and so many bloody tubes... but for the mileage it has served me well.

Bottom Line:
the company is awesome, with my personal experience with them i would recommend them to you for any bike in their lineup. their customer service is amazing... it rivals having personal friends at your local bike shop they take care of there own! everything from tuning tips to what websites to buy aftermarket parts on. they ROCK!

Submitted by kingspeak93 a Cross Country Rider from Gurnee IL

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2011

Strengths:    Perfect size and feel (custom fit), tires are very tractable, shifts really smooth, brakes are awesome, and perfectly set up right out of the box. AMAZING CUSTOMER SERVICE

Bottom Line:
3 hours, and 30 miles after I pulled this bike out of the box, Im hooked. The only thing keeping me from continuously riding is sleeping. First of all, I weigh 295... which is a big part of the reason for all the different parts. tora is a thicker fork, shimano brakes are hydraulic, Mavics are a little thicker, and the Firex crank should withstand my weight. I told the guys at Fezzari I really wanted my bike by friday (ordered last friday), and it came as promised.They had to order my parts, recieve them on monday, do a ground up build, and have it shipped out to me on monday.. and they did it, with no complaints. I havent done any super technical riding. All iv done was the Des Plaines River Trail (loose gravel over hard pack). But I did do quite a few miles and it did not dissapoint. I will do a follow up on this review in a couple months.

Favorite Trail:   dpr trail

Purchased At:   Fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 3.0, Specialized Rockhopper Pro.

Bike Setup:   Mavic XM117 rims, Rockshox tora tk fork (100mm), Shimano Hydraulic Disk brakes, maxxis larsen tt, Firex Team GPX crank, 21 inch 2010 frame (same as 2011 different graphics)

Submitted by carlos4dgr a Weekend Warrior from Hacienda Heights, CA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Great frame - solid and stiff. Great components. A fantastic bike for the money.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Kings Peak from Fezzari and have loved it for a year now. I've been meaning to write a review here but have been riding too much! I looked here before buying it, so I figured I'd pay back by writing my own review to others. I did a lot of research. I'm an engineer by day, so details mean a lot to me. This frame is better than anything else in it's class. The weld quality, hydroformed tubing, and finish are unmatched. The components have been great, too. I like the Avid BB-5 brakes and the shifting. The stock tires have been great for me. They're a fast-rolling tire which is perfect for the usual drypack trails that I ride on. In summary, don't hesitate if you're looking at this bike. It's a great deal!

Purchased At:   Fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek, Giant

Submitted by mahoneygod a Cross Country Rider from las vegas nv

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Great looking bike good components best bang for the buck ride mostly cross country but great down hill ability and great climbing ability also great commuter, strong good frame

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike to get back into biking. From the NE so its been different riding out here but the kings peak made the transition great. I ride the bike everyday either to work or on the trail and i love it. it handles great takes a beating and you cant beat the price. I get a lot of compliments on the paint job and the bike overall. the custom set up fezzari offers was damn close to perfect out of the box. I would def recommend this bike to anyone looking to get into the sport.

Favorite Trail:   bootleg canyon

Similar Products Used:   trek,harro,gary fisher

Bike Setup:   stock(replaced rear derailleur after it broke eating it on some down hill stuff a little to advanced for me)

Submitted by FrankMD a Cross Country Rider from Bowie, MD

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2008

Strengths:    Relatively light at 27 pounds. Disc brakes, custom fitted.The blue paint is fantastic!

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review from March 15, 2007.
I have had no problems with this bike at all. I did two adjustments due to silght cable stretching. I ride the B&A trail 6 days a week. It's a hard surface trail (old railroad grade) so I've worn the tread off the back tire. The middle of the tire. I've gone in the woods several times and love this bike. I'd rencommend it.

Favorite Trail:   B@A Trail

Purchased At:   Factory Direct

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tassajara

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Mack Tobias a Cross Country Rider from brevard, nc

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2008

Strengths:    PRICE PRICE PRICE. the value of the bike is great. i looked and looked on-line, and all and all, this was the best bang for my buck.

Weaknesses:    no 1 year of service from the local bike shop. having to wait on replacement parts

Bottom Line:
I am more than satisfied with this bike. i am a novice biker, but i have some friends who are fairly hardcore and helped guide me in my research. for the price, it is great. i have yet to see anything close to what i got for the money i spent. my derailer hanger did break off on my 3rd/4th ride, the wait for the part was annoying, but they replaced it free of charge. after my first ride i got a tune up just to see how everything had settled and to make any adjustments that may have been needed after shipping, and very little had to be done. The customer service at fezzari is excellent. to compare, my wife recently bought a bike from REI and paid more than i did for mine, and has had far many more problems. her components are not as nice and the pre-shipping tune up was horrible. luckily, they replaced the cost to get it tuned up. her breaks consistantly rub no matter how many adjustments are made, and her front shock is not as complete as mine. she is not nearly as satisfied with her bike as i am with mine!

bottom line....great bioke for the money. I would not hesitate to reccomend this bike to anyone wanting to get started rideing. if i ever upgrade, i will by another fezzari.

Favorite Trail:   dupont state forest

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from Boulder

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2008

Strengths:    Great fit, great components for the price. I love the clearance on the top tube. I can't believe the value for the money.

Bottom Line:
Ohh man - love this bike! Honestly, I was worried about buying this sight unseen, but the setup was spot on. I don't have one complaint about this bike (well, maybe one - my brother keeps borrowing it). Fezzari did their custom setup on it and it couldn't be more perfect. They will get all your measurements and set it up for you. It came perfect.

No question, the best value bike under $700. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Behind my house

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500

Submitted by sasha marceau a Weekend Warrior from ny

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    awesome, best looking bike I have seen in ages! Great range of high quality components including, rockshox, shimono, cane creek, alex rims, WTB.

Weaknesses:    It would be like finding fault with a lambo or porsche!

Bottom Line:
The best bike you will find for under $600. the only thing is when the rockshox J3 wears out I would like to upgrade to a Fox Talas RLC. But as a whole In My opinion the deal is the same as getting $350 off a an already awesome bike package. GOING ONCE, GOING TWICE, GOING THREE TIMES, I AM SOLD ON MY FEZZARI!!

Favorite Trail:   old railroad bed

Purchased At:   fezzari hotline-

Similar Products Used:   Kona Blast, Trek 4500, lotus pegesus

Submitted by Scott from Apple Valley

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am updating my post after 300 hard off road miles. I ride a road bike during the week. And I take the ski lift up at Snow Summit in Big Bear,CA, for some nice climbs and decents.

This bike handles excellent and I am 230lbs. I am mostly impressed with the forks. I ride Motocross and I am very knowledgable about suspension and have used many other brands and models of forks and this one is sweet. Nice smooth action. The rebound is the perfect speed for control and predictability. The tires are awesome for a lot of conditions. I stick in terrain that my weight would otherwise prevent.

The only thing I may consider changing are the bars. I could use an inch more on either side. Also I have my bike set up great as I said before. But the brakes were not set up correctly at all. These Mechanical disc brakes are awesome. But the way they came from Fezzari was horrible. I was trying to figure out why my bro in laws were so much easier to pull. I realized that my pads were adjusted so that they pushed (bent) the rotors almost 11MM's. The rotors are designed to be bent up to 2mm's according to the manual. I adjusted them correctly with almost no bend and they now are easy to pull and offer one finger, controlled lock up even at high speeds.

I love the bike. But I am still disappointed with how poorly the bike was set up by Fezzari.

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear

Purchased At:   www.fezzari.com

Bike Setup:   Stock bike with Maverick Speedball seat post. Shimano 324 pedals

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Apple Valley,CA

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2007

Strengths:    Custom Fit, best value for overall package for the money

Weaknesses:    No local bike support

Bottom Line:
I got the Green and Black and it is sweet looking. The bike is exactly what I hoped it would be as far as performance in that price range. I have spent more money in years past and these components stack up to my older LX or XT. The mechanical discs (better than most mechanical and better than v brakes) are great but at my heavier weight I probably should have looked for hydraulic. The custom fit is excellent; I am very comfortable on the bike. The fork so far is great, I have done some light downhill and it has a confidence inspiring action even with my weighing 230. The lockout is nice; it still leaves a small cushion for comfort, but helps climbing and sprints. I do prefer chromoly for the hard tail, the aluminum is a bit stiff, but as good or better than other aluminum frames I have ridden. I would definitely buy the bike again and recommend to others looking for a bike in this price range despite the small negatives I am about to talk about.

The pedals are better than any bike in this price range, but the reflectors all fell off in the first few rides and after close inspection it is pointless to put them back on they wont stay. Also Fezzari says they tune up the bike before shipment. They may have, but I don’t think my bike got the love I would have liked. In fairness the derailleurs can get bumped in shipping or something like that. But the bike did not shift correctly at all. Both derailleurs did not have the proper stop limits set and rear would not shift into 8th at all. I know from riding motorcycles and bikes for many years that the front brakes have more stopping power, but my rear brake would not stop the wheel completely at all.

I did use the excellent links on the Fezzari site to help correct these issues and the bike now performs great. I was not worried about local bike shop support for two reasons. The bike shops here are not very customer friendly anyway and I wanted to refine my skills in tuning my own bike. I had done it before and tuning your own bike is easy and fun once you get good at it.

I now am able to tune my own bike better than ever. During the buying process Fezzari rarely answered the phone right way, but would call back quickly. Their hours are not posted online so I am not sure when exactly they are open but I called on a Monday morning and Tuesday for help tuning my bike never ended up talking to anyone. I left a message Monday and I did receive calls on Tuesday and Wednesday that I missed while at work and they were from 1-877 numbers that came up when they called before. But they didn’t leave any messages and the numbers do not allow callbacks so I cannot be sure it as them, but I assume it was.

The people at Fezzari are nice and professional. I believe they strive for the excellence they describe on their web site. I did have some frustrating times trying to get my bike to shift right and could not get a hold of anyone. The only reason I was in a hurry was because a friend of mine who was looking to buy one was coming up to check it out and he was not going to be impressed if it didn’t shift. So I told him not to come.

Anyway I have now had it for a few weeks and have ridden it everyday about 10-15 miles. It is better than any bike I have priced and tested even up $650 and I am loving it more and more. I would buy direct, not from Costco to get the custom fit. I will probably be buying the same bike for my wife with a custom fit since she is very small.

Favorite Trail:   Hodge Lake San Diego