Diamondback Topanga Comp XC Hardtail

4.38/5 (24 Reviews)

Submitted by John Hash

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2013

Strengths:    Strong frame. Nice trail rider.

Weaknesses:    Stock components are a bit chintzy.

Bottom Line:
I got it used for 180 dollars or so. The components it had were either frankensteined on to it, or just rigged to get it off the yard sale. Needless to say, i put in some money on it and it handles like a really nice top of the line hard tail. Rock Shox in the front, avid brake and new disc for front wheel. Had to get new rims due to the ones that it had come with were already damaged or on the verge of not making it any further.

I spent 500 bucks on it and for my low budget, it is a great bike. I use it for everything. From riding to the store to doing some trails nearby my house. If you are a beginner rider with a limited budget, this bike has really good opportunities as far as upgrading it. The original shocks are very heavy. The upgrade made a HUGE difference, especially on the trails. Adjusting the brakes is extremely easy, a youtube search, a allen wrench and a bit of time is all you need. I put a new chain on it, new cassette, new crank and a lizard skin for the chain slap on the frame. A new WTB saddle. All in all, the bike cost me close to 650 dollars and i am happy with it. Put some platform pedals with nice pegs on them, but will be upgrading to something a little more thinner in the platform design.

I recommend it to people who don't mind tossing in a few bucks to upgrade certain parts, especially if you are getting in to trail riding. It is fun riding it through trails, it handles well on technical rides, sturdy enough for the downhill, rugged enough for climbing, amazing momentum. Outside of trail riding, it's used for errands, ranging from small parcel delivery to grocery getting. Dropped a few times after locking up the brakes and i think i took the most damage out of the 2 of us. Even if i do ever get a soft tail, i will still keep this one as a back up as i have invested so much in to it and it has been well worth it.

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, durability, stable, frame has good stance for climbing

Weaknesses:    seat, tires

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 2000. I think I paid about $400 at CMT Sports in Roanoke, VA for the Topanga. I bought it because it seemed like a good value, and my first dirt bike as a kid was a DiamondBack Viper. It was an incredibly solid little bike. I've done everything from advanced mountain trail riding to casual long distance rides. I like it's light weight, and durability. It also seems very stable on fast/steep decents. I get good traction on steep climbs also. So far, I've only had to change the seat, cables, and brake pads a couple of times. It has shimano components and I've only had trouble with one of the Deore shifters. The front suspension has held up well, and I've never cleaned it. My only problem has been a lot of flat tires - not sure if it's due to the tubes I've used or the tires. This is a solid bike for any rider in my opinion.

Submitted by Jonny in Greenville

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2012

Strengths:    -Very good price (got mine for $350 on sale)
Love the gear selections. Has a nice fast top gear, and the low gears will pull you up any hill you can get traction on
-Shifts effortlessly
-Frame is sturdy as all get out
-Stock handlebar grips are very soft, cushy rubber, extremely comfortable
-Tires can handle anything from street to dirt.

Weaknesses:    -After 45 minutes of road riding sitting down the whole time, the stock seat starts to feel hard
-After 18 months of hard riding, front suspension is starting to lock up (not bottom out, it just won't travel down because it's gummed up)
-Sometimes wish the brakes would stop you faster. It's hard to stop on a dime.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike on clearance from Sports Authority early in 2011 (it's a 2010 model) to get me around town with, and I love it. Since then, I've also started to use it on trail rides.

I bought this model when I needed to replace my old Outlook; I went in to buy an Outlook, and discovered that in the 10 years since mine was made, they got a lot cheaper. So I upgraded to this bike. The frame is light for how large it is, and the range of gear selections lets me keep up with traffic on roads (I've maxed it out at about 40 going down hills) or crank yourself up steep trails.

My only two (very minor) gripes are the brakes and the front suspension.

The disc brakes don't stop me as fast as I remember caliper brakes doing. I've only noticed it once or twice when I really had to slam them on to miss a person/car/other bike that wasn't watching where he/it was going.

When I ride a bike around town, I ride it hard and give the suspension a lot of abuse. I will take shortcuts over curbs, etc, and I'm always going fast, After about 18 months of that, one of the seals in the front suspension broke, and let the oil inside dry out. I didn't notice it until it was too late and the suspension is now gummed up. Of course, you can't open the suspension up and clean it; you have to buy a new front fork if there's something wrong with the suspension. After cleaning it up as best the shop could, it's started to work better now, but still isn't perfect. I'd give it 4.75 out of 5, just because of the lower quality/not repairable suspension.

Submitted by Reece tudor-jones a Downhiller from cobble hill

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    it has great gears, and the brakes are just amazing. the tires are really nice, they are good for trails, and road.
the suspension is really nice, and it is aluminum so that makes it really light for when you are moveing around.

Weaknesses:    it just dose'nt have a bash guard, but thats not the biggest deal.

Bottom Line:
is that the bike is great for almost anything, and it can get you around to places.

this bike is GREAT!!!!!!

Purchased At:   usedvictoria

Similar Products Used:   norco bigfoot, norco wolverine.

Submitted by Mr.joestreet a Racer from arizona

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2009

Strengths:    great bike

Weaknesses:    setup way it was built

Bottom Line:
the bike is great but the way it was setup was poor the company didn't Evan put on the wright shocks i am going to talk to them about it

Favorite Trail:   fire trail south mountain

Purchased At:   sports authority

Similar Products Used:   diamond back response

Bike Setup:   poor

Submitted by crossclimber a Weekend Warrior from Halifax, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Great Componetry for the price. Most excellent Geometry, fits tall guys. Low price allows lots of upgrades!

Weaknesses:    Heavy front fork. Cheap crank. I bought it at Dicks and felt like such a cheapskate. Support your local bikeshops!!!

Bottom Line:
I've had this bike for a while now and even tho there isn't much left of my original bike other than the frame that is what really sold me anyway. Its super light, crazy durable, and fits a tall guy like me. It climbs like a goat and nimble enough to flow down technical terrain. Wonderful for those wanting an entry bike into XC riding and it won't hold more advanced riders back (after a few upgrades).

Favorite Trail:   Rattling Creek

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon, Raliegh M50, Fisher Marlin, Trek (hardtail but forget number)

Bike Setup:   LX Derailuers and Crank, Deore Shifters & Cassette, XTR Chain, R7 Fork w/Lockout, Flatbar, Shadow V seat, Avid BB7 Breaks, WTB Speeddisc wheels, IRC Mythos II Tires, Crankbothers pedals

Submitted by clash9898 a Weekend Warrior from richmond

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2008

Strengths:    exxelent frame, love the tires, exellent disk

Weaknesses:    calipers, pedals, fork is for beginers, back deraler is annoying, short seat post

Bottom Line:
exelent for 350$ just replace the calipers and fork and u hav an awsomely nifty bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   dicks sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   trek mtb, walmart bike(my 2nd bike form when i was 7)

Bike Setup:   changed fork for a rst titan air with remote lock out, front kenda klaw rear panaracer fire xc

Submitted by Noh 937 a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame, and decent fork and components for the money.
the best bang for the buck. the orange that comes on the frame is absolutely awesome. but it chips easy so becareful. the kenda klaw tires that it comes with are real good on the wet dirt and mud. as well as hardpack. but can be alittle loud on the concrete, but still a good high roller. another good aspect of the bike is that its a really good hill climber. much better then fullys. also, taking it off some jumps in the dirt park at DON, it works pretty well considering its not really built for it. if you put on slicks, it could be a real road warrior as well. DISC brakes needed adjusting but that was easy, and it worked beautifully.

Weaknesses:    the forks heavy, but that can be changed. and the chain really can eat up your frame. tape it up or put the cover on that part of the frame, or your gonna get white marks all over it. pain chips easy, and the big Kenda Klaw tires are really good on dirt....not for getting back home.

Bottom Line:
pretty much the most bike you can get out of your dollars.
one of the best value quality bikes you can get, and recommended to anyone.
pretty much anyone who is looking to ride in the dirt of anykind, (downhill, XC, DJ, FR, Shore) you can do it all on this bike. if your looking for efficiency and personal upgrades to really customize your bike to perform like a 4000 dollar bike, this is your bike. just don't buy it if your going to do cross country marathons...and just make sure you keep your baby clean, taped on the chainstays, and away from things that could chip the paint.
having a good lock is a good idea too;)

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   Sportchek

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo, GaryFisher Mullet, Toyrus bikes. (woot!)

Bike Setup:   Complete stock DiamondBack Topanga 08. (NOT COMP OR EX, JUST TOPANGA)

Submitted by Mickey Tilman a Weekend Warrior from Orlando Fl, 32812

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Strengths:    Thier is a whole lote strength out this rig. The parts that Diamond Back pick out for Tanpango are so kick ass!

Weaknesses:    A little bit on the heavy side. I think it needs Fox forks, that will be the cherry on top of it!!!

Bottom Line:
To tell the truth this is one good bike out on the market and for $400.00 bucks I get my bang for for my buck!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   none so far???

Purchased At:   Sports of Authority

Similar Products Used:   Gaint bikes,Trek bikes

Bike Setup:   I have change the stock Kenda tires to Maxxis Holly Rollers and always I change stock crappy plastic pedales to Kore plateform

Submitted by Justice Mack a Cross Country Rider from Ballantine,MT,USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2007

Strengths:    great disc brakes.shocks absorb the trail niciely.very light.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
this bike is a purfect bike for me because i like rough trails. it is an excellent starter bike.

Favorite Trail:   two moon park

Purchased At:   sports authority

Submitted by Chris P a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne,Vic,Australia

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Strengths:    Mine is a Topanga Sport not comp. Only difference is sport has shimano mech disks and Truvativ fiveD cranks. Great value 4 money. Good stoppers. Shocks work well for me. Good cassete and rear derailleur(xt).

Weaknesses:    Seat, but this changes for everyone. Stem can rattle when landing a big jump. Chain eats at paint unless frame is taped.

Bottom Line:
Great value for money. ( i got mine for half price Au$524). Good strong xc bike that handles well around town. Tyres could be changed to better suit riding style. All components function properly after two years.(only had the bearings in the hub replaced due to myself not tightening the quick release properly).

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield

Purchased At:   Lawrencia Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Vectra Sport, Giant Alias

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MZ comp(82mm). Alex ace-18 rims. Tektro levers with shimano mech disks. Sram cassete. Xt front and rear derailleurs with deore shifters. Truvativ fiveD cranksets. Adura seat. Diamondback frame, hubs, stem, handlebars and seat post.

Submitted by Matt Martin a Cross Country Rider from Caribou, Maine, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    This bike is great for just about any cross country rider that is on a bike at least three times a week. I ride my bike to school almost every day and it is great for in town use. I also use it for aggressive biking on the trails and it is great for any tree roots and loose dirt.

Weaknesses:    The Rockshox Judy TT is only good for about 500 miles. After that the oils inside start to come out on the stanchions and it freezes right up. The Truvativ FiveD Crankset could also use some changing after a while.

Bottom Line:
Get this bike. It has great components on it and the bike looks sharp. And you can get it all for a very low price. Just don't let anyone named TIM ride it.

Favorite Trail:   Nordic Heritage Center

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Trek 6700 Disc

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Judy TT Fork, Shimano Deore Levers, shifters and front derailleur, LX rear, Hayes HMX2 Disc Brakes, Truvativ FiveD crankset, Alexrims DM21, WTB Weirwolf Tires and Sram cassette and chain.

Submitted by Cam a Weekend Warrior from Wollongong, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2005

Strengths:    Great front and rear derailer (Shimano Deore XT), trusty forks, solid frame, awsome brakes.Does everything from uphills to steep downhill and even jumps. A great bike but time for me to move onto a dualy.

Weaknesses:    Weight, uncomfortable seat, grips seemed to wear out pretty quickley, short stem.

Bottom Line:
Top bike for a top price, Does anything you want it to, anything from downhill to dirt jumps, this bike has lasted me in various enduro races and rides at downhill tracks. This is a perfect bike for a beginner.Great colour too.
Cheers

Favorite Trail:   Possums

Purchased At:   CPC

Similar Products Used:   Giant Ricon

Bike Setup:   Marzohci EXR 100mm,27 speed, Deore hydrolic brakes,Truvati cranks

Submitted by Ted Marks a Cross Country Rider from Carlinville, IL

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Strengths:    The whole bike is just such a solid setup for the money and while taking it on a wide variety of trails it performed like a dream.

Weaknesses:    The shock just doesn't do it for me on rough trails. I hate the wellgo pedals because my foot keeps slipping. Cranks suck because they creek. The seat sucks it just doesn't feel right.

Bottom Line:
For the money this bike really rocks and it feels like a bike that you might spend more money on. I think this bike would really be sick with a Rocksox Reba fork, and different seat and clipless pedals. Over all value I give it an A.

Purchased At:   Bikes and Boards