Diamondback Response XC Hardtail

3.91/5 (35 Reviews)

The Response is a solid, reliable all-around mountain bike designed for lightTrail riding or dirt jumping. The Hardtail frame ensures efficiency, whileThe suspension fork provides comfort onThose roughTrails or hard landings. The Response is great wayTo get into suspension mountain biking and also makes a good city commuter. Frame: Response 6061-T6 Aluminum, FormedTopTube, Formed DownTube, machined headtube, with disc mounts, forged drop outs w/replaceable hanger Fork: SR Suntour XCT 100mmTrav

Submitted by DK723 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Price, Look, Durability

Weaknesses:    Pedals, Crankset, Brakes

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike a few months ago and I really am liking it quite a bit. I have upgraded most of the parts (especially the Tektro brakes, the Suntour cranks and the plastic pedals) But the bottom line is, if you are looking for a bike that is rugged and wont break the bank you cannot really go wrong. And if you want to upgrade the bike, it does not take much to make this a serious hardtail (The frame is really the best aspect of the bike)

Submitted by Steve a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    Strong frame, nice forks, good wheels and tires, good brakes.

Weaknesses:    Plastic petals, f. derailleur.

Bottom Line:
Great starter bike. My friend has a Voodoo and I'm always right on his tail. I had to completely remove and reinstall the f. derailleur because it was setup wrong. I also installed a thudbuster and riding really rooty trails is no problem.

Favorite Trail:   Santos

Submitted by Rocky_Urban a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2011

Strengths:    Simple, reliable and fun to ride

Weaknesses:    Paint quality

Bottom Line:
My bike is a 2000 model. Its 12 years old now, over 14,000km, ridden in 4 different countries with it. Survives daily torture of downtown Toronto riding, rocky trails, ride across France, and a month as a bike courier in London, England. This bike is starting to feel its age now. Considering this is a "cheap" bike, it out lived many of my friends more premium bikes. I'm on my second set of brakes, 3rd pair of tires, second chain, crank and cassette. The RST forks still work fine, not the best performing shocks but definitely durable and for me that counts.

Favorite Trail:   Glen Eden

Purchased At:   Cycle Path

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Fusion

Bike Setup:   Hutchinson Python Tires, Selle Italia Seat, Better quality Shimano Crank

Submitted by BrodPee a Cross Country Rider from Middle River, MD., USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    Frame, Disc Brakes

Weaknesses:    Most components that came with it are heavy except the derailleurs.

Bottom Line:
I like the frame geometry that it makes me climb faster and easier even on higher gears. It is easy to maneuver on tight single tracks and even better over obstacles. For the price I paid and the upgrades I spent, it is well worth. I'll be keeping this rig until I can afford to buy a real full suspension mountain frame.

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Valley State Park Avalon Area

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4900, GT Tequesta, Giant Iguana

Bike Setup:   New Deore LX 9 speed shifters, Shimano servo-wave action brake levers, new Deore SGS rear derailleur, SRAM 9 speed cassette, SRAM X7 front derailleur, Forte carbon riser handlebar, Forte wheelset, Shimano Alivio crankset with RaceFace bashguard, DB Sound alloy pedals, WTB Velociraptor tires, suspension seatpost, and everything else is stock. I plan to change the fork if ever it gives up on me but I doubt it since I already give it the beating on very technical trails and it just keeps going. Well maybe because I am 155 lbs.

Submitted by Fuzzy rider a Weekend Warrior from Richland Center, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2010

Strengths:    FRAME!!! This thing STRONG!
Other than that I am glad that the shifters and brake components is split up.
Sizing is a huge 22" which seems perfect but would like to sometime ride something bigger.
Price?! This bike was crazy on sale @ Dicks on Black Friday

Weaknesses:    Alright here is goes: go by rule replace with better as it breaks
(why spend money unless it is broken?)
Crankset lasted me about 10 months and i admit i beat the ever-living sh*t out of it.
----I could get angry about weight but it comes in at about 32 pounds after my mods, get over weight peeps, it makes for a challenge.
----PEDALS! but hey get over it the damn bike was cheap! Buy some nice platforms and you are set. Actually wiped and skidded on fresh concrete grinding the pedal to the point it broke on next jump i made.
----Handlebars seem to be odd but i am no expert... my next upgrade
----Disk brakes are hard to get to stop squeaking, resurfaced them once... considering getting some different pads and yes they go out of alignment just get handy and use your hand to straighten them out to darn near perfect, it's how i have got by
----Rims are strong(positive) but the darn aluminum nipples are like small *ahem*, they work for awhile but they could be beefier
----Tires, just ordered a new rear, the front is still decent, besides that the original has heavy rolling resistance but hell i am part redneck so i like hearing the tires, so what if the damn thing pedals harder your woman will love those strong legs :-D the only time i have wiped is on fresh concrete and that was just a bad situation so oh well, i got up dusted off and rode on... its life people you crash and burn only to get up and keep on going
----grips: work for now... but lock ons are in the mix
----front fork, complain as you may at least it has some sort of lock out, in the cold it seems to get stiffer than heck, idk wish i had the money for a FOX, or Bomber fork... but life goes on and some shock is better than nothing
----oh almost forgot derailers(can't seem to get red squiggly to go away darn spelling): yeah the front one bit the big one never wanted to shift decently after a few months of ownership and i tried my damnedest to fix the issue and had a lbs look at it(hopeless). So i fixed it by taking the damn thing off getting a much needed crankset that i made SS front, whammy no damn front derailer. plus it removed some grams, not like i care, and i love the challenge of a SS front, who the hell uses the top gear? get a darn road bike if you want speed! rear derailer is making me mad also(so damn tempted to get a new XT derailer or something else with more tension and better overall quality

Bottom Line:
Beginners and particularly budget minded intermediates get this bike and love it!
I may have listed a gazillion weaknesses but they are nitpicky, save some cash get this bike and as components wear out get new, better ones.
I am 6'5" and started riding this bike at about 260lbs and now I am about 230, I resumed biking at 300+ lbs on my parents Ironman Huffy and for Christmas 2009 I was given this bike.
What I do with it: name it: jumps from hoping curbs to 3 foot or better drops to ramping it off any natural feature I can find,
I also ride at a BMX park with it for fun: drop the seat and away I go,
I ride with this thing for darn near 20 mile rides,
IT DOES IT ALL!

Take some time to become your own mechanic, it saves money,
Buy last year’s new after-market parts, it saves money
buy online JensonUSA, Amazon, etc, it saves money
By this bike, it saves initial investment cost
Ride on! it saves money
I ride every day: rain, shine snow or sleet and yes this is my ride and true love haha

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   "first real mountain bike"
i have dropped 70 plus pounds mtn biking, it is a passion and exercise for me that is my blurb

Bike Setup:   ever changing
1x7 gearing setup (love it)
right now everything is stock except the list here:
$89----crankset: Race Face Evolve DH Crankset '08, took of granny gear and ground off mounts, yes it is heavy but the darn thing can take a beating and still keep going
$60----Pedals: Azonic Accelerator Bicycle Pedals (Black)
$62----Chain guide: Race Face Diabolus D2 DH Chainguide, 36T, Grey I'05, heck pops even custom made me the ISCG '05 mount for it
$24----In shipping: new rear tire: WTB Weirwolf Race Tire '09: heard it to be good all-purpose tire
~$235---- investment in parts but heck everybody needs somewhere to spend some cash... if i had about that much more i would get everything else i wanted for the bike except a fork. so guessing the parents paid about $300 for the bike 535 is not a bad price for this thing, even if i were to drop $500 on a fork (not happening any time soon) this bike is still worth every penny
Wants: (when money allows): basically make everything different except the frame. Oh i might leave the break levers and wheels :-P they are alright

Submitted by raliegher a Racer from vermont

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2010

Strengths:    hi in my opinion the diamondback response is the worst mountain bike i have ever owned. I bought this bike wanting reliability and durability. i got neither. I got an old western flyer bike for free and it was 10 times more reliable than my brand new diamondback response. So basically this bike in my opinnion is a total peice of crap.

Weaknesses:    Does not stay in gear. wheels bend very easily. paint and plastic falls off and scratches off very easily. chain falls off a lot switches gear without command.

Bottom Line:
this bike isnt reliable or tough basically its a P.O.S!!!!

Favorite Trail:   burke mountain

Purchased At:   a bike shop

Bike Setup:   hard tail 24 speed click shift

Submitted by Miguel4u2 a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, good shifting, tough frame.

Weaknesses:    No lockout on fork

Bottom Line:
Bike is great, not meant for heavy trails unless your are willing to upgrade. I will upgrade as i go because it is worth it. Anyways if you are looking for a bike to ride some trails and ride on the street then this is it. This is a lightweight bike, only 25 pounds.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Walmart Crap

Bike Setup:   All stock except shimano spd clipless pedals

Submitted by thewarrior a Cross Country Rider from new jersey

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2010

Strengths:    frame is great on the diamondback response sport. the only thing now stock on mine is the seat post and headset and bars everything i changed including breaks which are now hydraulic hayes sole with a 6.75 inch rotor instead of the stock 6 inch 27 speeds now road tires rock shox dart 3 with remote lockout aftermarket wheels and tires and shimano deore lx shifters now have 1000 dollars in this bike also changed the crank and crank arms as well

Weaknesses:    gearing isnt that bad stock an upgrade to a better set is suggested though especially if you ride as much as i do. other wise an amazingly great bike

Bottom Line:
i love diamondback always have will continue to always buy diamondback bikes

Favorite Trail:   none road only

Purchased At:   private seller

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   custom

Submitted by Bigmoe a Cross Country Rider from Grand Terrace, Ca

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2010

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Fork so far

Bottom Line:
Frame seems very strong, disc brakes are awesome. The Spinner Edge fork 100mm is the worst, weakest fork ever. One of the top seals was "gone" after the first ride (in a paved bike path).
I guess I can't complain for 300 bucks, but after a few off road rides and jumps I realized a full suspension bike is what I need.

Purchased At:   Sportchalet

Similar Products Used:   Atala

Submitted by Blksocks a Cross Country Rider from PA. USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Strengths:    Everything!

Weaknesses:    Probably the shifters.

Bottom Line:
I took this bike on a fire road I use for off roading in my z71. The trail was nearly 3 hours of up hill battle!!! The ground was wet from month old snow but it was all slowly melting. I didn't expect tons of mud but I decided to fight the battle with my 09' Response and it took it like a pro. I was really happy with the beating it took. I am now upgrading each part slowly and it will most likely be better than the Response Sport and Comp.

Expect to get new drive chain after a beating but when it's all said and done you will just be amazed on how this bike can take a beating!! I love it!

Purchased At:   http://www.sportsaut

Submitted by I have a kool bike a Cross Country Rider from Danville

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Has a nice seat. Kenda tires okay( for 2 months at most). Grips.

Weaknesses:    The components. The worst fork on the planet

Bottom Line:
This bike is strictly for having your kids ride to school. The cranks have broken twice, seat post broke, gears mess up fast( won't let me go in the third chainring), brake pads wore down fast, both rims broke 1st crash. Never use it offroad.

The bike is probably like that because I ride trails every day.

If you buy this buy it at a bike shop. Because they will build it right and will know how to fix it and will be glad to do so.

Favorite Trail:   Juniper. Mt. Diablo

Purchased At:   Sport chalet

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3700

Bike Setup:   Stock w/ new seat post and grips and rims and tubes

Submitted by Oldradioguy2 a Weekend Warrior from Severna Park, MD

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2009

Strengths:    Super rigid frame, decent components (except the fork and pedals), solid construction, disc brakes (my son's version is the Response with disc brakes: I think it's called the SE or XE), super price when on sale.

Weaknesses:    The Spinner Edge fork. On the very first ride, one of the dust seals popped out of place. If this seal is not put back, dust will get between the shaft and the seal on the inner oil seal, and ruin the shock in short order. Dick's response was to say they couldn't handle that simple repair, so they wanted to ship it back to the factory! I used to work on Mercruiser Outdrives, so I put the seal back myself. But the stock fork on my son's bike rattles, and it already appears to be leaking oil after 4 or 5 rides.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike that is hampered by the fact that it's sold at sporting goods stores with worthless bike service departments. I suspect they sell factory seconds, also. I looked at the Response Sport in black, but one of two bikes had a defect, and one of the locking fork mechanisms on another was broken in the store. So unless you can get this bike at a bike shop, you may want to pass or plan to service it yourself. This is great for newcomers or teenagers, but serious riders will have to change that fork immediately, which ruins the price to value ratio.

Favorite Trail:   Round Bay (for now)

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Good

Similar Products Used:   1983 Ross Mount Hood, 1985 Cannondale Aluminum, 2009 Fisher Marlin Disc.

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by ridefreeride a Downhiller from riverside CA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    frame is built like a tank. It has lasted me this long with all the abuse i put it through

Weaknesses:    I destroyed the wheels Pretty quick. Stock brakes suck. buy the sport version it has discs.

Bottom Line:
perfect beginners bike(worked for me)I rode this bike all over the west coast. get the sport you will be better for it.

Favorite Trail:   sycamore canyon

Similar Products Used:   not to simular but I have a haro x7 and a styer cluban road bike

Bike Setup:   stock exept: wtb weirwolf grips(awsome), Generic rear tire,X rims rear wheel, Shimano Deore rear hub

Submitted by redarm1 a Weekend Warrior from Mead, WA 99021

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2009

Strengths:    Solid frame, good components, great value.

Weaknesses:    head tends to rattle

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for me and my type of folks.
It is strong and durable (Im fit but fat) and it can take some heavyweight thrashing.
Being a larger fella, i tend to hike a bike alot, not a problem here, the response is quite light. compared to the mongoose blackcomb i stupidly bought at wallyworld.

Favorite Trail:   The Rattlesnake in Spokane