Diamondback Outlook XC Hardtail

3.69/5 (16 Reviews)

Submitted by sion66689 a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn,NY

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2010

Strengths:    Can take a beating, works great on my commutes to work and school and just general riding around. Can go quite fast.

Weaknesses:    I got either the 08 or 09 model and it has a steel frame weighing in at around 32 lbs so its a bit heavy for some but at least it will help you build up your leg muscles.

Bottom Line:
It was the cheapest mountain bike at the cycle shop where i bought it and in my opinion rode better then the Treks and other similar under 300 bikes. Felt more comfortable then other aluminum bikes and feels better than a friends $1000 hybrid bike

Favorite Trail:   Belt parkway path

Purchased At:   Roy's Sheepshead Cyc

Similar Products Used:   Walmart $80 mongoose mountain bike from 2002

Bike Setup:   water bottle with cage, bike computer, front and bike lights

Submitted by Maxx134 a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, quality feel, beautiful frame, good ride.

Weaknesses:    Compared to $350 and under price range models and amount of quality name components, I would say none.

Bottom Line:
Bought the one not pictured, which is the black version.
It has the smoothest quality ride in the "sports authority" store I was in.

It is also much smoother than the past two Schwinn mountain-bike models I returned at other stores(Sidewinder & Mirada models).

They also had another one selling at "Sports Auth" store, which is same name modal, but a light beige color and different frame.
It did not ride nearly as smooth and is not the same as the black one.
The salesman said the beige model here is the newest version.

To me the black model was much better, as the gear pedaling felt like straight pushing power and gears are much smoother and unit is lighter as the frame is different.

My guess is in the model change is due to a demand for more ruggedness, but now it doesn't feel as good as the black version.
So that beige color version only feels as good, but not better than the cheaper Schwinn Sidewinder or Mirada models I had,
though I would assume the frame better and stronger, useful for hard trails.

Bottom line is black version 6061 "BM MTN" is the best in $350 price range and a keeper for me.

Favorite Trail:   bike hill

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Avenue
Schwinn Mirada
Schwinn Sidewinder
Schwinn traverse
Garbage

Bike Setup:   6061 "BM MTN" version, "T6Heat Treated AL" frame
"Trail XC" suspension fork, Shimano "RevoShift" shifters, Shimano front and back Tourney gear gear shifting, Shimano freewheel. Promax brakes.

Submitted by Clones123 a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2010

Strengths:    I have two of these; a 1998 Outlook DX bought new and a 2006 Outlook bought used. The DX (made only in 1998 & 1999) is the minimum spec bike that I'd recommend to anyone - Shimano AceraX EZ-Fire shifters and Altus rear deraileur and an overall decent build.

Weaknesses:    The non-DX Outlook models are barely above a Walmart bike. Junk steel pogo fork, steel seat post, Shimano MPX twist-grip shifters and Tourney rear deraileur. The 6061 Aluminum frake is okay though a little heavy but the rest of this bikes isn't worth owning.

Bottom Line:
You can buy a cheap bike like this, hate it and decide you're not a bike person. Next time you'll buy an even cheaper bike at hate that one too. Alternatively, you can spend more for a decent bike (even used is fine) and enjoy it. After that, maybe you'll spend $600-$1,000 or more for a good bike and love it.

Favorite Trail:   Blanket's Creek

Purchased At:   LBS and used

Similar Products Used:   1994 Raleigh M50
1998 Outlook DX
2006 Outlook
2010 Access XCL 9r 9.5

Bike Setup:   1998 - stock
2006 - aluminum seat post and new saddle. I wish I had $130 in my budget for Shimano ST-EF50 EZ-Fire shifters, Altus M310 rear deraileur, M151 crankset and a rigid Cro-Mo fork.

Submitted by Chidori a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Strengths:    Tough,Fast,Light,And Very Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap Components, Breaks Squeaks , And Poor Shifting When Biking Up Hill

Bottom Line:
This is a great entry level bike. Since I like bumpy rides the little suspension on this bike doesn't bother me one bit. The breaks are alright and shifting are horrible.Its also very light as well. Sometimes when I"m biking I would ride faster than most of the people on road bikes. This bike is more like a hybrid than a mountain bike. Overall this is a great bike that should last you for years to come.

Purchased At:   Fast Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Trek 3500

Submitted by mpoutlook a Weekend Warrior from Corvallis, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2009

Strengths:    Nice looks, durable

Weaknesses:    Breaks squeak! They also cause the bike to skid. I don't know if that's what they're supposed to do, but I have literally rear-ended other people on bikes on this thing. I guess they don't make ABS for bikes though.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for riding around campus to get to and from class. So far nothing has broken and it is easy to switch between gears. Ride is a little bumpy but again, that's all you can expect from a bike. Overall I like this bike a lot.

Purchased At:   G.I. Joes

Similar Products Used:   A green Magna from Wal-Mart I had about five years ago.

Bike Setup:   Fenders, headlight and taillight.

Submitted by keith7747 a Weekend Warrior from hagerstown, maryland, usa

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2009

Strengths:    nice looking bike

Weaknesses:    THE SEAT !!!!!

Bottom Line:
After riding the bike on the Tow Path in my area, I rode it for 6 miles, my butt is still sore (burning) from riding on that seat. PLEASE GET ANOTHER SEAT BEFORE YOU RIDE!!
Dick's Sporting did a lousy job in tuning it up. They didn't even check the tires and there were almost flat going out of the store. Derailer still needs to be adjusted.
I think I should have saved a little more money to get another brand.

Purchased At:   dick's sporting

Submitted by simon a Weekend Warrior from los angeles

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    seems solid so far. cheap. and doesnt look so bad. rides pretty smooth. not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    break already started squeaking!!! seat was bit uncomfortable. gear changes slow and loud but not too bad.

Bottom Line:
i think for the price this is as good as it gets. looks not too bad either. but very annoyed about break squeak. when i took it back to sports authority to complain, it stopped. haha... of course. break had to be re-adjusted.

Favorite Trail:   marina del rey

Purchased At:   sports authority

Similar Products Used:   had some cheapo costco hybrid bike 10 years ago.

Bike Setup:   stock + new seat and lights.

Submitted by csltrlryder a Weekend Warrior from west covina, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2008

Strengths:    easy and smooth ride, brakes take very well, solid frame, good response, lightweight, hybrid tires are good for both street and light trail riding, rides well at high speed

Weaknesses:    makes some noise and is hard to adjust between gears, shocks will bottom out when hitting potholes or doing small jumps, tends to pop up when taking on steeper inclines,

Bottom Line:
i have the 2008 outlook and the bike is good for entry level trail riding, and an overall great bike for the money paid. if you want to try out trail riding and get a feel for it, this is a great bike to do that with. works best as a commuter bike.

Favorite Trail:   marshall canyon

Purchased At:   sports authority

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Orlando

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame, smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    Shifters

Bottom Line:
After destroying many a department store bike, I decided I would spend a few more dollars and try to get something that would last a little longer. It has held up well on the rough trails and the only knock I have against it is that when your hands begin to sweat the shifting gets a little tricky...it's a great entry level bike for the occasional rider.

Bike Setup:   Computer

Submitted by Bryan from Miami, Florida US

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2007

Strengths:    Durability, reliability, price, good manners.

Weaknesses:    Suspension. Came with Suntour SR fork with 2" travel. Actually worked OK, a little soft which was nice for minor stuff, but the fork can only take so much. An hour of riding over roots feels like doing push ups.

Bottom Line:
First off-road bike, took me from trails to intermediate paths some "expert". The bike has taken 2 years (weekends) of progressively greater abuse (I'm 6'3 195lbs), more I'm sure than it was designed for, and nothing has ever broken. It also handled well, stable at speed and pretty well mannered over rougher terrain.

Good bike for someone interested in trying off road riding without making a huge price committment.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta

Purchased At:   Sports Authority

Bike Setup:   Extended seat and stem, saddle, bar ends.

Submitted by Josh Craven from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    Very sturdy. After the initial cable stretching from the first week, no problems at all. Good price for somthing with front discs.

Weaknesses:    Shocks leave somthing to be desired, they're HPS (I can't find anything on this brand on the internet) and only get 2 inches of travel, max. Frame is kind of heavy, but makes up for it by being solid.

Bottom Line:
this is a great getting around bike, and good for some stints in slightly rocky stuff. I wouldn't recomend it for anyone serious about biking because of the weight, but for commuting, I couldn't have somthing that holds up better.

Favorite Trail:   fish creek

Purchased At:   Sport Swap

Similar Products Used:   Walmart/Canadian tire crap

Bike Setup:   added a bike computer, sometimes I have on slicks for longer trips

Submitted by Wyatt a Cross Country Rider from Okemos, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    Frame Is Strong, Its taken some serious abuse. Handelbars. Brakes havnt failed.

Weaknesses:    Well, the fork has about 10mm of travel and it is really crappy. The shimano tourneys take about 5 seconds of racketing noise to shift into the next gear you want. The front derailieur worked at first with clatter and now it wont shift up with out stopping the bike and fixing it.

Bottom Line:
This is a good beginner bike but if your going to actually take it off road you will definitly need to upgrade the fork and drivetrain. The frames is ok. This is a great bike for getting to work or getting to school.

Purchased At:   Dicks

Similar Products Used:   My new trek 6500 :).

Bike Setup:   I added a bike computer and gel seat.

Submitted by Zeljko Boban a Weekend Warrior from Croatia

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    Easy and comfortable to ride. Very nice looking (red-black '05)

Weaknesses:    After 300 km brakes are squeeking, iritating sound of air coming up from suspension when pressed, and unpleasant 'klang' sound when depressed. Poor rim welding on connection, which is probably cause of the brakes failure. 4th speed on the freewheel is making noise (already?!)

Bottom Line:
Considering the price, I'm very satisfied with this bike, and most of the weaknesses mentioned, will be hopefully solved with a little effort and some money for the pads.

Purchased At:   Extreme Sport

Similar Products Used:   This is my first MTN bike.

Bike Setup:   Original tyres changed with Kenda Kross Plus XC 26x1.95"

Submitted by Brad Warren a Cross Country Rider from Mons Belgium

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    VERY comfortable riding bike. Good gear selection. Very upgradable. good braking (after fine tuning)

Weaknesses:    no disc brakes, wheels untrue fairly easy with hard riding, but hey for the price!

Bottom Line:
I absolutely love this bike. had always ridden full suspensions, but ditched them due to the added weight and parts breaking. I ride this bike hard, time after time, and it doesnt break! I have had to reture the wheels, but hey come on... I ride usually 40K rides in the woods, and I am not sore at all after the ride. This bike is awesome for the price, and will certainly suit the average rider well for a long time to come. I wish it had disc brakes, but for the price, what can you expect...

Favorite Trail:   any back roads Belgium trails