Diamondback Apex XC Hardtail

4.67/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Lanvillas

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    Fast, solid, good handling

Weaknesses:    A little heavy

Bottom Line:
My Apex is 10 years old and going STRONG. The XT/LX derailleur/shifter combo holds up--still shifting like the day I brought it home from the bike shop. I have even put slicks on it before and taken it on a 30 mile ride and stayed at the front of the pack.

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Riva Mtn saddle, Specialized locking grips and bar ends.

Submitted by Russell Clum a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2008

Strengths:    Great value, solid bike, great geometry. Hard to find a bike with this level of components for the price. DB and Raleigh really know what they are doing to get people into the sport and to keep them happy with quality machines with quality parts. Definitely would buy this bike over again.

Weaknesses:    Like someone else said, the paint did scratch pretty easy, but I'm not sure that is avoidable since this is mountain biking...ya know...rocks, dirt, trees, water?!

Bottom Line:
Been riding this bike for over three years now...I'm and XC geek and I love putting miles on my stuff. Regular upkeep has kept it in top running shape. If you can get your hands on this bike, do it! A great investment especially if you are looking to get into the world of mountain biking and want a solid bike that won't break the bank. If you are in Idaho, check out Reed's Cycle in Eagle...great shop that has always done me right. Just bought a full suspension and everything from my Apex is going on it. Sad to see it go cause it just works so stinkin' well.

Favorite Trail:   Three Bears

Purchased At:   Reed's Cycle, Eagle, ID

Bike Setup:   XT front and rear, LX shifters, V-Brakes, Mavic xc221 wheelset with XT hubs, Rock Shock Pilot fork

Submitted by Joe Naughton a Downhiller from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike for a person just getting into mountain biking. It can do dirtjumps,trials and is a good way to figure out which style you want to take to the next level. Good strong,light frame and great value. Great forks and good standard gears.

Weaknesses:    No good at freeride or downhill.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price. Great way to start and learn the basics. Recommended if you are just getting into the sport or want a cheap cross country bike.

Favorite Trail:   Travis at Woddhill!

Purchased At:   RnR

Similar Products Used:   GT Avalanche 2.0, Giant Rincon

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Kris a Cross Country Rider from michigan

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    This review is for the 06 dbr axis,this is the best cross country bike for the money.......

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
There is no review on this bike as of yet this bike should be considered for your next crosscountry bike its very lite with a solid parts pick.dollar for dollar giant specialized trek and all others cant compete.the axis performs well in all catagories,climbs,spins up fast,handels great on the down hills,tracks very well,stiff butt not to stiff.

Favorite Trail:   any where thers dirt

Similar Products Used:   tested,specialized stumpjumper,gary fisher big sur,giant xtc 2,dbr axis.All 06

Bike Setup:   stock manitou skareb elite w/lock out/sram x9/xt drive train,avid s/d 5-7 brakes,truvativ stylo gpx crankset,wtb dual duty wheelset,lx disc hubs,wtb exiwolf tires,truvativ cock pit.

Submitted by John Nagy a Weekend Warrior from Elkridge, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    Price was good, strong, reliable, frame, good overall component mix of Shimano LX and XT

Weaknesses:    weight, disc brakes are finicky

Bottom Line:
Its a good bike and rides well. I'm a bit disappointed with the weight but at least its not so light that it will fold underneath me when I jump something.

Comfortable ride even on long rides. I've ridden it many times 30+ miles and even done a Metric Century with slick tires.

Favorite Trail:   Rockburn Loop and Patapsco

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   Barracuda A2V, older mt. bike

Bike Setup:   no changes right out of the box, new brake pads this year

Submitted by Al a Cross Country Rider from Topeka, KS USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    Geometry, relative weight, overall frame performance. Rides as well as many hardtails several hundred dollars more. If you change out components for a little bit better level, it rides as well as any hardtail around $2000. The frame is the surprise in the package. Components are components; buy this because DB did a great job on the frame.

Weaknesses:    The Diamondback name. Unfortunately in the recent cycling world, Diamondback has gone the Schwinn and GT route. Although a smart move on DB's part (they are doing much better now), you can find DB's in major sporting goods retailers, and some larger retailers as well. On the trail you may not get the double look of a Dean or Litespeed, but the joke is on them. Real MtBkrs know about the quality of the Apex. Everyone else thinks it's just another Sporting Goods Store special.

Bottom Line:
For the money, NOTHING on the market has this kind of frame for this price. The components are solid. The only problem is the explaining that you'll have to do to the guy riding the Seven, or the Dean. After you pass him, wait for him at the top of the hill and smile...then he'll get it. DB's actually kick ass.

Similar Products Used:   I'm a mechanic, so there are too many bikes to list here. I will say that for what you get on the DB, you can't get on say Trek, or Specialized. Although I love Trek's and Specialized...you CANNOT beat what you get from the DB.

Bike Setup:   I got the bike as a frame only. I have an X.0 on the rear, with XT and XTR stuff throughout. Manitou Black up front, Hayes stopping me. With the stock components though, this bike still rocks. LX and XT stuff is time proven and solid. The Pilot up front is great for most people.

Submitted by Ryan Hansen a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2005

Strengths:    Great components. Shimano Deore XT, LX. Super solid frame. Great value even at $950. Great quality frame!

Weaknesses:    Stock wirebead tires. Maybe could of had a little better fork.

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a high end hardtail bike thats great right out of the box then this is it! I highly recomend this bike to anyone looking for a good hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Added an Azonic CF-1 carbonfiber handlebar. Will upgrade to Fox Talas RLC fork.

Submitted by Allan Hall a Weekend Warrior from Huntsville, Tx

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome components for the price, Deore LX shifters, XT derailleurs and Hayes XC Mech Disc brakes. Kinesis Super Light / Vectra 7005 Series Aluminum frame (still a bit heavy).

Weaknesses:    One color, awesome one, but still only one.

Bottom Line:
When money counts, this bike delivers. No other bike I tested or saw had this level of components anywhere near this price. I really wanted to like the Trek because of the style and the shop that carried them but I just couldnt spend that much more money and get that much less bike.

Favorite Trail:   Anything I dont die on!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Trek, other DiamondBacks.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the RockShox seatpost.

Submitted by D. C. a Weekend Warrior from Bronx, New York USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2004

Strengths:    Great components. Color was not my first choice, but it's still awesome. Solid frame. Excellent brakes. Good frame geometry. Diamondback quality.

Weaknesses:    Bike scratches very easily. Within the first two days of purchasing, I counted about 12 minor scratches. And, I've pretty much babied the bike since I got it. Also, the seat was very hard on my tail bone at first. Now, it's "toughened up" to the point where I don't feel anything. The bike's a bit heavy, but not too much. So, I could care less.

Bottom Line:
I'm probably the only one in my immediate area with this bike, much less a brand new DB. Everywhere I go, people give me compliments. Anyone I pass who's on a bike "themselves" actually gives me respect as I pass. Two guys in a jeep were stopped at a red light one day, and were staring down the bike. Then, gave me 2 thumbs up. They didn't seem to even know about bikes, but they could tell that this Apex was something special. Speaking of cars, some drivers actually try to race me, because they get jealous when they see me on my Apex! But, that's New York for ya. This bike, however? It stops on a DIME. So, I'll consider Hayes for my next purchase. I haven't had the bike for a long time, but it rides pretty smooth. I did have to take it back to the shop the 2nd day after I bought it, however. I just needed some minor adjustments. Overall, this bike looks cool, it gets me around, and it seems to be a better value than similarly-priced bikes out there. That's why "value-wise" I gave it 4 flamin' chilis. I originally put a deposit on a 2004 Topanga Comp. But, the next day the dealer told me that DB said they were all sold out. So I got the Apex, instead. And, it's a much better bike anyways. Everything else that the dealer had in this price range was a joke, I thought. Other bikes were lighter, but had mediocre components and the nerve to have a higher price tag! The Apex is a little bit advanced for what I was looking to do, initially. But, I am improving my riding skills every time I go out for a spin. I think I got myself a very nice bike for the price and I'm sure you will be happy with the DB Apex, as well. Believe me, I didn't want to spend a grand on a friggin' bike, but I can't see myself with anything less than this Apex, now. A top-quality front suspension hardtail goes for major bucks, today. But, the Apex is a well-balanced compromise that will surely please. You don't believe me? Just go into a good bike shop and price any high quality, name-brand hardtail. And, then you'll see that the Apex is a bargain. I would write more, but right now I'm about to head out for a spin on my Apex! See ya!

Favorite Trail:   Still looking for a good one