Devinci Desperado XC Hardtail

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by geoff parkyn a Weekend Warrior from VANCOUVER CANADA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2008

Strengths:    frame design/quality, good specs for dollar, even has those awesome Maxxis larsen TTi tires

Weaknesses:    front shock, saddle, crank

Bottom Line:
Devinci makes a great bike for the price..be prepared to upgrade basics like shocks or smaller items like saddles but once you do so, you have a great bike which rivals others costing hundreds more..besides a CDN product, ehh!

Favorite Trail:   TBD

Purchased At:   sampsons bike shop

Similar Products Used:   none really, use as light XC trail rider

Bike Setup:   swapped front shock for marzocchi marathon XC, all XT now, crank is next, now has mavic crossride wheelset, mythos XC tires, new WTB saddle

Submitted by Rob K a Cross Country Rider from Cape Breton Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    Desperado 0.1
----------------
Weight - 27.1 with pedals
Price - 13xx.00
Solid Drive Train
Remote Lockout Shock
Very Good Frame
Flashy Paint Job

Weaknesses:    Flashy paint job is _very_ thick. Be sure have rear brake mounts and rear dropout resurfaced.
0.1 Desperado with Rock Shox Tora 302 Coil shock is meant for a lighter rider - 150-200lbs not doing any drops larger than 3 feet.

Bottom Line:
Resurfacing rear brake mount and rear drop out is a must for correct alignment of roter and wheel.

The bottom bracket alignment is positioned to be on more on the fast side of things, nice for paved/long gravel roads.

Keep on flowy or tight trails. No drops.

Favorite Trail:   Carmichael

SADDLE Selle Italia FK trans am
SEATPOST V2 Pro 27.2mm

Submitted by Rob Halpin from Durham Ont

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    Amazing race bike. Climbs great light and fast. It even tracks great. XT groupo with the dual control levers are really nice.

Weaknesses:    The comp s light tires aren't the greatest but don't let that stop you from getting the best xc race bike ever.

Bottom Line:
A great race bike. for fast flowing races to the narlyest races. This bike is the perfect bike for someone you needs a good race bike but does not want to fork out the money for a $4000 bike. XT is does the job just as well as XTR.

Favorite Trail:   three stage

Purchased At:   2000 Cdn

Bike Setup:   Full XT with dual control levers and disc brakes, sid race fork, crossland wheel set, Easton ea50 seat post and stem, V2 flat bar, Selle Itial gel flow seat.

Submitted by DAVE a Weekend Warrior from EASTON MD USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely Light, very controlable, Climbs like a monkey. This bike is a racer, weight weenies will love it. Seems pretty tough for it's light weight, but built strictly for XC racing- light and fast. Geometry is set to race, keeping you leaned forward. Devinci built this frame up with some of the best components-ready to ride.

Weaknesses:    Selle Italia seat creaks loudly under hard (seated) pedaling, though very light and comfortable.

Bottom Line:
Bike is quick and light as hell. It's so light, that if you're not paying attention it's easy to lose control, and the bike gets a little whippy. That said, I have'nt ridden anything else that actually makes riding and climbing easy and fast. It's definitely not built for knocking around and any kind of jumping, which is becoming more and more popular these days. For those that enjoy hardtails, this bike is a blast to ride, built to race out of the box. Not made for jumping or knocking around, those that enjoy fast smooth single track will appreciate it's light weight and awesome climbing ability at speeds full suspensions cant touch.

Favorite Trail:   any

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Silent Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized RockHopper, Iron Horse DS SE Warrior,

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox SID RACE fork, Deore XT Components, MAvic Crossland Rims, Hydraulic Deore XT Disc Brakes,Michelin Comp S light Tires, Crank Bros. Eggbeaters, Easton EA 50 stem and seatpost, V2 Gyro Flatbar (great handlebar)

Submitted by Louis a Cross Country Rider from Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    -Weight
-Price
-Frame
-Setup

Weaknesses:    The Rock Shox sid in front.

Bottom Line:
This is the greatest hardtail I ever ride. Geometry is very aggressive for a racing XC and the setup is the best value on the market.
I hope this product will soon release in the Usa because of the quality of this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mont Ste Anne

Similar Products Used:   Specialized stompjumpert 2003, gary fisher supercaliber, trek 6500

Bike Setup:   All is stock but I changed the sid race for a skareb platinum.

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2004

Strengths:    Quality build (check-out Devinci's web site)
Best frame geometry I found
Well equipped out of the box
11 kg (24 lbs)

Weaknesses:    Rockshox SID Race shocks "clunk" like the reviews say (found that out after I bought the bike).
N/A in the US (You Americans are missing something here)

Bottom Line:
This is the 2003 model, purchased just as the 2004's came out. A few different features but the frame is the same.

When I went to replace my Rock Hopper, I researched theses bikes and drove the lbs owners crazy. Each bike I looked at had an improvement I would make if I bought it, so I settled on the Santa Cruz because of the geometry.

Went to the Santa Cruz dealer and explained what I wanted with the changes (Full XT/XTR, Hayes etc.) He looked at me sideways and said why would I want to do that when the Desperado had what I wanted. All the features I was looking for with the right geometry. Only change was the Monkey Bar riser (good change).

Since you can add whatever components you want to a bike, the frame is what counts, and Devinci seems to have taken the best of the best from everyone, and built a solid frame around the components.

When I ride this bike (I'm 6'3", 210#) my chest is right above the BB, and my head lines up BEHIND the front tire. When I am standing, my chest lines up over the front hub. This configuration always puts my centre of gravity in the best place for power transfer to the tires and the ground. I am more stable on this bike than any of the others I tried.

I live 20 minutes from the Giant and Rocky Mtn factories and the lbs could get anything I wanted in 2 days from the factory, but I settled on the Devinci (made in Quebec). Welds, paint, craftsmanship are on par with Santa Cruz and Gary Fisher.

I checked them all out and settled on Devinci. Worth a serious look if you are shopping.

Four flamin turds overall because of the Rockshox SID Race.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Steed Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant XTC2, Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, Santa Cruz Chameleon, Cannondale F600

Bike Setup:   XT & XTR Shifters, Hayes Hydraulics, Mavic Cross Crossroc wheels, Michelin Wild Gripper UST, Monkey Bar

Airborne marauder VS ironhorse desperado ds

debating on getting something new ( [url=http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/95-marauder.aspx]Airborne Bicycles. Marauder[/url] ) or used ( [url=http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2698062658.html]Ironhorse Desperado Ds[/url] ). also i cant find much info on the ironhorse desperado full susp ... Read More »

Beware of the Desperado

I employed Jalon Hawk (real name Laurence B. Gust) of Desperado Cycles in Deerbrook Wisconsin to create a custom bicycle for me. 22 months and over $14,500 later (yes, I'm an idiot) all I've received are excuses, demands for more money and verbal lashings for being unwilling to pay more for the wor ... Read More »

paid spam: 09 devinci Desperado

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=63985&cat=4[/url]Read More »

Desperado Tequila Beer Anyone?

Maybe it's just me but I absolutely love this beer. Made in France I think and they used to sell it in our Nova Scotia liquor stores. They stopped around last year and I miss it :sad: I haven't tried it yet but I might have to order it online uhhgggg Any other fans out there?Read More »

Devinci Desperado 1

I just recently bought a 2007 devinci desperado 1. Everything is pretty much stock..but I'm trying to build it for free riding, since there's no Devinci Huckers anywhere!! The frame seems strong enough for jumps plus its fairly light. Do you think I should pursue this route with this bike or give ... Read More »