Devinci Cameleon XC Hardtail

4.62/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Edmonton, Alberta,

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    DeVinci Cammilion 3 is; Sooth ride, effortless hill climber, great brakes. Dart 2's are awesome, I am 6'4" 230 and not yet bottomed out.

Weaknesses:    Peddals are week. Tires are a litle slick when rippin on wet ground. But the brakes are very capable even in the wet stuff.

Bottom Line:
I shopped around a lot and test rode a lot and when I took my first rip on this red beauty i was sold! This bike has a longer stretch than a Rocky Mountian which is what makes it fit my body type. Value! Value! Value! All major components (Wheel Sets, Shifters, etc) are all top notch!

Favorite Trail:   Devon River Valley. ALL OF IT!

Purchased At:   Red Bike

Similar Products Used:   Just got into it, was playing hockey for many years and cannot bellive it took me this long!

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Numa a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    Look! Breaks, Sram X7, Frame, etc.

Bottom Line:
Wow! Looks great, ride great! A solid bike, nice Rock Shoks (could be harder so...). I like it.

Favorite Trail:   Laurentides

Purchased At:   Anjou Sport

Similar Products Used:   Scott aspect 20, 45 ? 55

Bike Setup:   Stock. Except pedals...larger ones.

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from Montreal

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    Very smooth and very durable.The position of the shifters is great.

Weaknesses:    Grips lost all there grip after 2 weeks and the pedals craped out on me.

Bottom Line:
A very nice bike but while u are a the store get a set of handle bar grips. A great bike for beginners to intermediat riders. Also good for long rides on pavement.

Favorite Trail:   #7

Purchased At:   Le Suroit (Canada)

Similar Products Used:   1000$ marin was cheap compared to the devinci!

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by George from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Strengths:    Good components on the bike, some SRAM X-7 derailleurs, shifters and other good quality shimano Deore parts.

I bought the 2005 edition, I love the color.

Weaknesses:    Pricy for what it does. It's not enough of a mountain bike for you to use it hard on mountain and it's not racy enough for it to be a good road bike. So you can't use it to a full potential on road nor on mountain, it's too much in between for that price.

* PS: I don't do mountain biking at all, but I used to do A LOT of wheelies. My back wheel's spokes gave in not even a year after i bought it. It broke down again later and i had to get it fixed 3 times. ( for the spokes ) I got a flat for no reason one time ( I rolled over a sidewalk, but going slowly all the same, so I don't understand how it flatted )

Bottom Line:
Good parts, nice bike. ( broke easily with wear and tear ) ( Fine ! I admit I did do hours and hours of just wheelieing, but still, it's a darn mountain bike, it's supposed to take the beating for more than one year.)

Pricy for what it is. Either go hybrid at 350$ less, or go heavy mountain with Norco Sasquatch or the Bigfoot and save a few bucks.

It's too much in the middle, for what it is.

OVERALL grade : 65 % or B- (for the price)

Purchased At:   Yeti

Similar Products Used:   Bigfoot

Submitted by jeff from victoria,bc

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    very light, Excwelent climbing. Very good turning. nice frame hand made in canada.

Weaknesses:    cheap peadals and funny chain type

Bottom Line:
excellent all roung mountain bike. have uesed over a long period of time and have had very little problems. I would recommend this bike to anyone learning to ride. This bike has been excellent.

Favorite Trail:   south ridge

Similar Products Used:   kona blast, kona kula

Bike Setup:   kenda kinetics rear tire shimano clipless peadals

Submitted by David from Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Strengths:    good strong and nice frame, good Sram X-7 stock, smooth exr-pro coil, light bike

Weaknesses:    got a little problem with my back wheel

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike for two years now and believe it or not i have never had one flat or anything broken on it. This bike gives me a smooth all around riding with big control and precision. Devinci makes real quality bikes and for around 900$ US you can't find better bike than this one for an intermediate rider. This bike climbs well, drops well, everything is smooth, precise, strong and light!

Purchased At:   lessard Bicycles

Bike Setup:   initial one, nothing changed

Submitted by Rtichero a Weekend Warrior from Quebec,Quebec'Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    The frame is really strong and the rims(wtb) are also very good quality. Some people have a Manitou Splice on it but when I bought mine it had a Marzocchi EXR-Pro, wich works perfectly!

Weaknesses:    The grips are really crapy because they broke after 3 weeks of use. The frame is strong, but its shape should be more like the one of a hardtail bike.

Bottom Line:
It's a great bike for the price, but if I'd have to go back in time, I'd buy a Norco Bigfoot.

Purchased At:   Lessards Bikes

Similar Products Used:   kona stuff, kona scrap, norco rival, specialized hardrock sport

Bike Setup:   New Ritchey grips, new seat because mine blew up when I landed a jump on some rocks.

Submitted by Colin Busby a Weekend Warrior from Sackville, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    Great looking, strong frame. Quality SRAM x7 components, decent Hayes HMX-1 Mech Discs. The Manitou Splice forks are surprisingly nice and plush. Crank seems strong so far.

Weaknesses:    Cheap pedals, not a great set of rims.

Bottom Line:
I read a lot of reviews and shopped around a lot before i spent the money for this beast, but it was worth it. It was by far the best value around, and it has lived up to expectations. Make no mistake, this is not a cross-country bike (forks are much too plush for racing), but it is not a downhiller either. I use it for a mix of XC and freeriding around town, and it serves me perfectly. I would like a stronger set of rims, and some upgraded brakes, but apart from that the bike is great. I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone who rides the streets or trails.

Purchased At:   Mikes Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Norco Big Foot

Bike Setup:   Stock so far, which is a good thing. Nothing broken yet.

Submitted by Raymond Poon a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2005

Strengths:    Devinci is a very reliable brand with quality, hand-built frames. The components on the 2005 Devinci Cameleon are high quality ranging from SRAM X 7.0 rear derailleur and shifters, Shimano Deore front derailleur, Manitou Splice Comp front fork, WTB tires and saddle, etc. The shifts are responsive and accurate. The ride quality is superb.

Weaknesses:    Pedals are unattractive and look very cheap.

Bottom Line:
I've done a lot of research before spending the money. This bike is the top-of-the-line hardtail sport mountain bike offered by Devinci. The components and ride quality are second to none.

Favorite Trail:   Nickle Back

Purchased At:   The Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Trailhead, Devinci Coyote, Devinci Cactus

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Marco Gallina a Cross Country Rider from Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent in all respects. This bike came equiped with SRAM X.7 components (trigger shifts) which I feel are better than Deore XT. The Devinci buit frame is reinforced where it needs to be.

Weaknesses:    Front fork spring kit was too light. Okay for someone who is 140-160 lbs but I weigh 200lbs.

Bottom Line:
The bike rides well. I use it mostly in an "all mountain" setting covering flats, climbs, downhills, small drops (1-2 ft), rock, roots etc. and it seems to be holding its own. It is extremely responsive with respect to steering. It climbs very well and is quite stable on the downhills. DeVinci makes a very nice frame and thier attention to detail is excellent. The SRAM components work flawlessly. The price I paid was more than average because of the upgraded components. If you are looking for a hardtail in an "all mountain" category I suggest you test ride this bike. You will be glad that you did.

Favorite Trail:   Comfortably Numb - Whistler

Purchased At:   Bits & Bikes

Bike Setup:   Heavier spring kit was installed. Large front chain ring was removed and replaced with a bash guard. Where I ride, a large front chain ring is useless. The original 3" rise handle bar was replaced with a 1" riser bar. I thought the original bar had too much rise.

Submitted by frank a Cross Country Rider from mississauga

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2004

Strengths:    great frame, very good components work well, looks great

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
awesome all around bike for tough mountain biking, cross country riding and short road trips less than(less than 30km. great bike to start with or for intermediate riders, handles well with wide tires and a very good fork. deore and deore lx work great, only 1 problem on a climb but it was easily fixed.

Bike Setup:   stock with clipless pedals

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from saskatoon

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    everything, for the price. Great brakes, hand-made canadian frame, decent wheels and deore all the way.

Weaknesses:    Don't like truvative but have had no problems, cheap pedals

Bottom Line:
Of course there is better, but not for 1000.00cdn. This bike is the best deal going and rides and handles like any hand mae frame would. Smooth cross country. Comparable to 1400 dollar bikes easily.

Favorite Trail:   moose packers