Devinci Cactus XC Hardtail

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by wutang a Weekend Warrior from canada quebec

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2008

Strengths:    solid bike, good adjustable front shock , good rims, good quality/price ratio, good all around bike

Weaknesses:    heavy, medium component, disc brake could be better but are ok,

Bottom Line:
good for someone who doesnt want to invest too much in a bike but still have a good bike. wish it came with shimano deore at least. wish it was a bit lighter. frame is too strong for what i do so i guess i cant complain for weight. brakes are noisy.

Favorite Trail:   mount-royal in montreal

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   tires: maxxis detonator (no thread)

Submitted by Layne a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    Tough tough tough frame. Handled all the punishment this 6'7" 250lbs rider could dish out.

Weaknesses:    Component set is entry level; I upgraded the fork, disc brakes etc. when I bought it.
8 speed shifters/derailleur

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2004 Cactus as a XC ride, and proceeded to put thousands of kilometers on it, riding the roughest terrain BC's west coast has and it just keeps on trucking! The frame is certainly worth the $$, even if the component set is a little weak. I upgraded and then wore-out several full sets of components (drive-train, derailleurs, brakes) and the frame is still solid.
Bottom line: The frame is a great buy for a strong hardtail, but the component set is entry level. Upgrade to disc brakes, and a sweeter fork and this is a smokin bike!

Submitted by Stu a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, On, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light, strong frame, nice feel, good components.

Weaknesses:    FORK! not very adjustable, not much feel, and too hard.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for the price overall, but needs a better fork.

Favorite Trail:   don valley

Purchased At:   Cycle Path, Toronto

Bike Setup:   Stock with avid bb7s and 50/50 by pedals by crank brothers

Submitted by Darroch White a Cross Country Rider from Fredericton,NB

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Strengths:    2005 Cactus model
1. Good improvement overall over last bike (Giant Yukon)in terms of braking and down hill control. Price was right.
2. Easier to loft front wheel but still not too wheelie prone on climbs
3. 2.3 Weirwolf tires have a lot of bite in the wet/muck. roll pretty smooth
4. Frame feels indestructible. Very smooth bike overall with good steering and control.

Weaknesses:    1. A bit on the heavy side compared to last bike
2. raked out front end great downhill but can occasionally be a bit odd in the woods
3. Remember to adjust spring in both fork legs. No fork lockout (Have to move up to Cameleon for that feature)
3. brakes are strong but can be squeaky

Bottom Line:
Good value, strong bike. 2005 colour in dark green looks good.

Favorite Trail:   woolastook

Purchased At:   Key Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Morgen a Cross Country Rider from Burnaby, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    I tip the scales on the 270lb side so having a beefy frame was a real plus. I was going to go with the Comeleon, but they didn't have it in my size, but I had them port over the Hayes MX-1 brakes, SRAM X.7 shifters and rear deralieur, and Shimano hubs and wheel sets. All told it is a great commuter bike as I ride up a mountain to work and then take the trails home (when it isn't too rainy!).

Weaknesses:    The shock is Ok for the type of riding I do, but when it starts to go I'll upgrade to something more aggressive for more fun on the trails.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for commuting and lite trail riding. (Or some urban stair riding!) It's a great climber being a hardtail and with the beefy frame it is ideal for larger guys (6'+).

Purchased At:   Cap's Cycles

BRAKES
Hayes HMX-1 XC 6 Mechanical

Submitted by Daniel Gore a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2004

Strengths:    Really, really nice to ride - pretty light, GREAT brakes (these V-brakes worked better or as good as the bikes with disk brakes I tried), there are times I swear I should have popped the tire, but didn't.

Weaknesses:    One of the chain links was stiff, making the whole drivetrain skip. Fixed it with oil and a flathead. Heavier than some, but because it has an oversized, reinforced frame. Medium-end components that don't really suit it. The wide handlebars get me stuck sometimes, but I can cut those down.

Bottom Line:
I hit the ceiling on what I could do with my 8-year old Norco Bigfoot many years ago - this new bike means much more playtime. I'm doing stuff I can't imagine doing on my old bike. I can't wait to take this thing to the north shore! The shocks, although spring coil, definitely have life in them. Overall, this is a really great bike, however if you want to spend a little more go for the Kona Cindercone or the Devinci Cameleon. All I need now is a chainring guard.

Purchased At:   Steed Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cindercone (REALLY nice bike, but too expensive for me), Norco Bushpilot, Norco Kokanee, Rocky Mountain Fusion, Miele TT550.

Bike Setup:   stock. Once the stuff on it wears out I'll replace it with XT's.

Submitted by Calum Dullaard a Weekend Warrior from Enderby

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    It is nice and light. The fork is nice. It has a nice crank set and rear derailleur.

Weaknesses:    The only real weakness I can think of is the front derailleur which is the only thingon my bike that has messed up so far.

Bottom Line:
It is a great bike for XC riding and anything I like to do around town. It's not bad for jumps or drops. A great bike for trail riding. I love this bike!!! I like most of the parts on it. It suits my riding well. It keeps me from geting bored in the summer too.

Favorite Trail:   i love em all

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Experience

Similar Products Used:   Norco Sasquatch and the Trek 4300.

Bike Setup:   Nothing new (yet).

Painful Cactus Injury (and why not to ride clipless in Arizona)

Here is what remained of my glove following after falling on a cactus in Arizona. I was unable to clip out in time when my wheel fell out from under me. Just pulling my glove off was excrutiating. And, yes, the needles hurt worse coming out than going in.Read More »

Cactus Passion

Since someone else had to go and post a Log Ride Passion and we dont have them here I was feeling left out. Figured I could share in some pointy bush passion instead and also send warm wishes to everyone who's riding season is about to be over. You can eat from them. [IMG]https://lh5.googleuse ... Read More »

I have a cactus...

It likes to go for rides with me. Anyone else do this? BRAAAAAAAA HAAAA HAAAA!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D Yeah, ok, maybe I have been working too long....... :D:eekster::DRead More »

Lost Garmin - McDowell Mt Cactus Cup parking lot

Managed to do the post ride space out and left my Garmin Edge 500 on my bumper yesterday afternoon. Was parked in the first lot of McDowell Mt park. Must have fallen off between the bathrooms and the exit because there's no way it could have hung on long. Went back this morning and no sign of it no ... Read More »

So Cactus is gone??

Went to Safeway today and noticed Cactus was emptied out? Did they move or just gone?Read More »