Commencal Bicycles Supernormal XC Hardtail

• Weight: 11.1 Kg

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Titus Racer X a Weekend Warrior from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff bike, climbs like a goat, tracks very well, fairly light at 3.5 lbs.

Weaknesses:    Effective top tube a bit short, but I fixed that be getting a Thomson Masterpiece set back seatpost and now it's perfect.

Bottom Line:
    This bike has been the best climbing bike I have ever ridden. It is very stiff, but not too stiff that it hurts to ride. I like to try new bikes (as you can see from other bikes I've owned), and for XC trails this has been the best. It's good enough for trail riding and can be turned into a racing rig. I actually bought the frame from a racer and the frame got him placed on the podium.

The frame's actual weight is 3.5 lbs (medium), just like Trek's ZR900 medium frame (which they claim is 3.33 lbs). Compared to the Trek ZR9000, the Supernormal doesn't seem to absorb shock as well. This is most noticible after a jump. They are both great frames, but I give the edge to the Trek ZR9000 for shock absorption and climbing prowess to the Supernormal. Bottom Line: You won't be disappointed and your wallet (or purse) won't be either.

Favorite Trail:   Dry Creek

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X, Trek 4500/8500, Trek Liquid, and KHS Alite

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Stan's Tubeless, Chris King, all high end parts

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Favorite Trail:   Dry Creek

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Stan's Tubeless, Chris King, all high end parts

Submitted by Cristián Valenzuela a Cross Country Rider from Santiago, R.M., Chile (flaming country)

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Very light, stiff hardtail, nice details, "made with love" product.

Weaknesses:    color (I bought its Kinesis version finished in a strange and weird aquous green).

Bottom Line:
    I just bought the frame; after that, I've move some components from my last bike to it, as rims and stuff. When I saw finally those XT components around the frame, and tried a trail, then I discovered the ease to ride with a lightweight bike. A week ago I bought a replacement for its agonic XCR fork. The answer to all my questions was moving around a "worth risk" of money (FOX RLC 08) or a cheap deal with the best of a taiwanese brand, and I don't regret my decission. The Axon gave to me that sensation of light that I've looking for all this time, and is very easy to maintain and to make adjusts on it.

All that gave to me the same sensations as Commencal put on the Supernormal model, and I have to say that it is like flying...

Favorite Trail:   Cajon del Maipo

Purchased At:   EVOBIKES.cl

Similar Products Used:   only steel bikes and a Nakamura (awful bike). Nothing to compare with this anyway.

Bike Setup:   Alex Rims SX, Novatec 2007 hubs, syntace f99 stem, specialized fast trak threated w/ home-made tubeless, XT shadow rear d., xt freewheel, chain, and dual controls... tektro IO MECH w/ Alligator Serration rotors... they're not so bad! Suntour AXON RLD 2008 fork.

Submitted by Graham a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    The supernormal is: Very light and fast, has great drivechain components including sramx9.0, has a nice fork with perfect travel for XC, brakes are great and pretty powerful, perfect choice of tyres, enough grip on the roughest of trails yet smooth enough for speed on tarmac. Geometry is super, I felt 100% comfortable riding it for the first time, I didn't have to change my position at all. Wheels are strong and extremely light. The fact that it haas V brakes also reduces weight, along with a hollow bottom bracket system from truvativ.

Weaknesses:    I'd have liked to have seen a comfier seat with it and possible the cable routing is a bit 'dodgy', it goes down under the down tube and under the BB shell. I think it might get caught up in mud and dust leading to me having to lube the cables regularly. These are not major problems thankfully.

Bottom Line:
    After coming off a 42lb DH bike (and this is quite light for a DH bike) the agility and lightness of my supernormal really stands out. I am amazed how light the bike is, and the moment I put power through cranks the bike just flies! I love it's ability to be quick and also very stiff at the same time. The detailing on the frame, especially the seat stays and the rear dropouts is awsome. Don't be put off by the v-brakes either. I use 8in hydros for downhilling and thought I wouldn't be comfortable with the power a cable V-brake could offer, but I was wrong - they are great!(And light too!). All other components are great too making this an awsome XC bike. I'm sure I will have loads of fun on mine even though I don't race XC.

Similar Products Used:   Im a downhiller so this is my first XC bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, I don't plan to change anything.