Chromag Bikes Sakura XC Hardtail

Weight : 3.75lbs

New for 06’ the Sakura is our lightest frame. A sleek race-ready tubeset, paired with a slightly relaxed geometry makes it more stable than the twitchy racers of the past.

Features:
  • Classic lightweight construction Butted/tapered tubes throughout
  • Chromag “trail” oriented geometry

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by pooka a Weekend Warrior from germany

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2011

Strengths:    perfectly crafted and prepared traditinal steel frame, classic looks and modern geometrie, light, stiff and with that subtle steel ride characteristic, a true bear in sheep´s clothing or how does that saying goes ;-),

Weaknesses:    havent´t identified a weakness yet, but sometimes, I think I may chose not my favorite color. And yes, it is really pricey for a non custom steel frame, but worth the money

Bottom Line:
    The Sakura is a great allrounder for true singletrack riding. Don´t bore yourself or the bike with fireroads. I never expected a hardtail would give me so much confidence on rough or steep downhill sections and yet feels so completly right all day long. It is a ripping machine, it is a neutral trail bike and a great climber. I couldn´t have asked for more with any custom frame, because I simply didn´t know what was possible with the right numbers and frame design. It was the best decision to trust some folks with years of experience in riding whistlers trails. And it was a pleasure to deal with the folks at Chromag.
    Yes, it took me two years to write a review, because it is to much fun, to ride this bike instead of write about it. Every time I come home from a ride with this bike, I feel like I could part with every other bike.

Favorite Trail:   uetzgi

Purchased At:   directly

Similar Products Used:   a lot of high quality and not so high quality hartails (Stowe, Rocky Mountain, On-One) Some were a little faster uphill, none came close down the hill

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla RLC, X9, Formula ORO brakes, lightish Sun Ringle wheelset, beefy Kenda tires, some Raceface stuff and Chromag OSX bars

Submitted by Romain a Weekend Warrior from FRANCE

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2008

Strengths:    geometry is spot on, light, steel-made, did I say it's light, accomodates any fork from 3 to 5"
    the quality of the finish is out of this world
    you can pick from a few billion colours

an absolute joy to ride

the guys from chromag are the best

Weaknesses:    Pricey (in a way but nothing compared to a full-sus of equal quality)
    makes you want to get more chromag frames

Bottom Line:
    Well I had been riding HT's and full sus and even fully rigid for some time now. I kept changing bikes, because they would not exactly fit.

First thing to do was to give some thinking : I needed a steel HT that could be ridden on longer rides (up to 50 miles if I had to), that could accomodate a pair of 5" forks (I like to have some travel, with the saddle down it is a blast on the downhill).

I strated doing my usual research, keeping in mind that I wanted a "one a kind" bike. Chromag was the deal for me.

The only drawback was prior to purchasing the bike : I could not get to test it to find out the right size. I have exchanged quite a few emails with Ian (the boss from chromag). Everything was sorted out over the ocean (Frenchy inside).

The bottom line : this bike does what I wanted it to do : it pedals very well, you can feel the steel doing its job : my back does not hurt. I can't wait to have a cance to try that baby in the Alps or somewhere else. Defenitely a bike I will NOT sell.
    Maybe I'll get another chromag frame, as I don't like full sus anymore.

I can't believe I am the first giving a review on this frame. The only explanation is that ALL the other riders are riding their bike and enjoying themselves.

Purchased At:   straight from the guys @ chromag

Similar Products Used:   I was riding a on one inbred vert drop out... so OK it's a steel HT but it is not quite similar

Bike Setup:   rvl 426, CK headset, truvativ/thomson parts, the average XT/XTR/LX mix, wheesl are hope pro 2, mavic XM 317 disc and 2.0 spokes (should have gone a little lighter... but better safe than sorry) 2.1 tires (geax and hutch)

All in all it makes the perfect longer rides bike

Chromag Sakura 650B

Hi Anyone allready tried if a Chromag Sakura frame is 650b compatible? Before I buy a new 650B wheelset.. I would like to know if it's going to fit. In my area you need to custom build a 650B wheelset.. so no options for me give it a try first ThanksRead More »

Chromag Sakura vs. Cotic Soul

First post, so big hello to everybody! I`m looking for input concerning the two bikes mentioned in the title. Searched the net but haven`t made up my mind yet, other, then it boils down to Sakura or Soul. Anybody got experience with both frames? There isn`t a chance to testride these bikes for me ... Read More »

SPAM Chromag Sakura For Sale

Selling my Chromag Sakura, come and get it! Mods please lock this. [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=50770&cat=[/url]Read More »

Chromag Sakura or Samurai?

I'd like to buy a Chromag frame this summer and I'm looking for advice from Chromag owners to decide on which one. I've read that the Sakura is more for XC and the Samurai more all mountain. I weigh 210 lbs. and do mostly XC rides up to 25 miles but also do jumps and drops up to 3 foot. My current b ... Read More »

Hardtail anyone? Chomag Sakura build

I built this one up at the end of last season and never got around to taking pics. I've been on a handful of rides on it now, love it. Steel frame, very compliant, quite light, and relaxed All Mountain geometry. This thing just devours single track. I took it on a 35 mile epic in the fall with m ... Read More »