Cannondale Trail XC Hardtail

4.31/5 (32 Reviews)

Get on the Trail. Your journey begins here. Welcome to the world of two wheels and fat tires. Your Trail awaits. Where it takes you is entirely up to you.

• Frame: Trail, double butted 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1-1/8” headtube
  • Fork: RST Gila Pro TNL, 100mm, coil/elastomer, lockout, 1-1/8"
  • Spokes: Stainless Black
  • Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 26x2.1", wire
  • Pedals: FPD Platform w/ steel cage
  • Shifters: Shimano Alivio

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2014

Strengths:    Good light and strong frame. That's it !!!!

Weaknesses:    The parts on this bike are made of chocolate !! I bought this bike 6 months ago and now only have 3 original parts left standing . All other parts have been upgraded due to how poor the original ones were.

Bottom Line:
    People keep saying " a good entry level " bike .... Entry level to what ??? Riding along a canel bank or up a few hills . The only thing on this bike I think is worth mentioning is the frame. , the rest is very poor. Do yourself a favour and save up an extra few hundred and buy a better bike.

Submitted by carlos MR

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2013

Strengths:    Bullet proof frame. S.A.V.E system is great for soaking up bumps and hits. Frame can take 650b tires I converted mine and its great. Very light frame Im a a Clydesdale rider and this frame has no problem going through very tech trails has taken abuse and kept going with out any problems.

Weaknesses:    paint is thin and very easy to scratch off.

Bottom Line:
    i purchased SL3 frame very cheap NEW. I built it up using components i choose as a 26 inch I took this bike out on some really rough trails and frame held up with flying colors. I recently updated this bike to 27.5 wheels and its now faster and even more fun to ride. great frame from cannondale.

Submitted by Willow Constantine

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    The geometry of the frame is perfect for an intermediate rider, as it allows you to stay upright and comfortable. The components are really excellent for an entry level bike. The gears shift very smoothly and it's a nice cosy ride. I love the adjustments on the suspension. The bike is fairly lightweight and really easy to handle. It feels solid and very top quality, considering the price.

Weaknesses:    You should definitely change the tires. The factory tires are really pretty lame, so I went tubeless and very happy now. I also had to change the grips as the factory grips were causing blisters. Other than that, the bike is pretty ideal.

Bottom Line:
    This is a top choice if you are looking for an entry level bike that you can ride until you have surpassed the intermediate phase of riding. Cannondale has always been my top choice for bikes, now I can see why.

Submitted by terrasonic05 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, Headstock and Bars, Brakes, and excellent design geometry.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain, Forks, Rims.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great 29er design that is unfortunately hamstrung by low end, and some junk, drivetrain componants and not very good wheels. For the high price Cannondale could have at least keep everything within Shimano's prefered groupo classes. Low end Deore parts are throughout, except for a few spots where even Deore was forsaken for Shimano componants typically used on WALMART bikes. The Forks are ok, but seriously cheap and only good for not so serious riding.

Surprisingly, although cheap, the Shimano hydraulic brakes work very well, not that much below my other XT brakes.

Bottom line- excellent design with very cheap componants. Cannondale is looking greedier and greedier to me every year, which is disheartening as they have been my mainstay for a decade and a half.

Purchased At:   Bikelane Conroe Texa

Bike Setup:   Replaced items- Fox Talas 32 Fork, Shimano 2013 XT complete drivetrain and cranks, except for an SLX Shadow-Plus rear mech.

Submitted by ROB MULL

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2013

Strengths:    Good frame. rides great

Weaknesses:    headset.

Bottom Line:
    have cannondale sl4 2012 model for 18 months now, replaced bottom bracket worn .heads set replaced with sealed ones..rear wheel replaced spokes snapped.got to bleed brakes every 3months or so.hand grip replaced with lockons.other than that great bike. have done 3k miles on it in all weathers,check head set bearing are greased. ring bearing type.not much grease in there from new.

Submitted by Travis Speck

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Bar with and cranks

Weaknesses:    wheels are really heavy and need to be trued constantly, this bike cannot take any AM riding at all the forks are horrible. When I looked online to see how much my forks retail for I was disappointed to find out they are work 80 dollars. I broke my rear shifter on my 5th ride. It also handles horrible on jumps you feel very unstable in air. I also broke my wheel set in one bad crash I dislike this bike

Bottom Line:
    Overall this bike was fine a beginner but as you progress you will be disappointed to find out that this bike will not stay with you as you progress, components will start to break suspension will start to wear out and then you are going to start to replace this is coming from a amateur rider who likes to have fun and do jumps and drops and AM riding if you are like me i strongly advise you not to buy this bike

Submitted by paeltz a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, groupset, price

Weaknesses:    Fork, wheelset, tires

Bottom Line:
    For the price you can't beat it. The CAAD frame is top of the line with great response and agility. Being 245 pounds I was shocked how quick and nimble this bike feels as compared to comparable trek and specialized models. The reacon silver fork is trash and the wheelset is very heavy. If you want to go tubeless you will need another set of tires- these can't cut it. Overall I still give a top notch rating, I have upgraded the fork, wheelset, crank, and rear derailleur and have a great bike.

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX crank, X7 groupset, hope evo II hubs with stans flowex rims, fox float 32 120mm fork, on-one mary handlebar.

Submitted by Jason Stewart a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    Bike rides smooth and comfortable on a variety of terrain. Frame is solid. The Helix hydraulic discs have worked flawlessly and stop on a dime every time. Also the bike just looks great.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any major weaknesses. I do plan to upgrade seat & grips but stock they aren't too shabby with gloves & padded riding shorts. Tires are good for all around riding but a tad slick in softer terrain or mud.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. The sharp look-matte gray/orange color scheme immediately caught my eye. When I took it for a test run at the shop I instantly fell in love with it. I've now been riding it for 6 months on trails from Texas all the way to California. I haven't had a single problem with it. It shifts well and the suspension handles the bumps/small drops & jumps well also. The bike feels great when you're either on or off road. For me this bike was a slight step up from my former Trek hard tail ($400.00-$500.00 price range). The tires are a bit mellow in my opinion, but they ride extremely smooth on hard pack trails. When you hit the softer stuff like mud or loose dirt they are a little less grippy, but I'm also used to having more aggressive tires. If your looking for a solid all mountain bike I'd highly recommend this one. I ride frequently and I got to say this bike's been worth every penny I paid for it so far.

Favorite Trail:   Jedi- @ Hulda Crooks Park- Loma Linda, CA

Duration Product Used:   6 Months

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles, Ho

Submitted by Weekender92

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    frame, controls, seat

Weaknesses:    pedals, fork, brakes

Bottom Line:
    This is my first mountain bike, over the year that I have had this, I have also ridden a heavily modified Specilalized Hardrock and a full suspension Kona to compare it to. The Trail 6 has great handling, as long as the tires are kept around 45psi. Below that, the bike is not as stable and is unpredictable. The wheels are strong and have not bent, even after some hard hits. The fork works well, but it does not seem ideal for any high-speed downhill segments, I think a lower end RockShox fork will cure this. The brakes were worthless, I upgraded to Avid BB7's and they made a world of difference. Past these, all of the controls have worked great, handlebar is a little narrow, the grips are good and the bike is comfortable. This is a great handling, durable and fast bike to either learn with, upgrade to, or just add to your collection.

Submitted by Jason a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, Wheels, Rear Derailer, Cranks. Seat post, Stem, Bars.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, Seat, Front Derailer, Brakes. Tires.

Bottom Line:
    So Ill cut straight to the point. Review based on one very long day of all around riding and abuse, downhill, climbing, jumping, in town/pavement.

Strengths-Wheels and main components of frame feel solid and function well. Fork, although a cheap brand, functions very well. Rear derailer gave me no issues at all. Cranks feel very solid no play or noise what so ever.

Weakness-Pedals are plastic, and have very small studs I found myself readjusting way too often. Brakes are terrible, although they will slow you down they make horrible noise wet and dry when applied hard and are very uneven and gummy. Front rotor began rubbing occasionally after some very light use. Seat extremely uncomfortable and not durable, ripped very easily. Front derailer is no good, functions good but occasionally has issues and jumped the chain once. Contemplaying removing it completely for now. Frame gemoetry good all around for me (5'10) but stem slightly too long for me. Feels a little off when going down steep hills and larger jumps, enough so that I will be looking into a different frame more suited for downhill and jumping.

All around Im happy with this bike. Good for all around and XC. If you ride it nicely and stay up on maitenence should last you a very long time with all stock parts. If I did it again I would have saved for another month or two and gotten a more exspensive main brand, probably full suspension.

Submitted by Ph141t

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Very smooth ride. Looks great. Brakes stop on a dime. Seat is comfortable. Tires grip well on the trail. Fork handles obstacles beautifully in technical areas.

Weaknesses:    Handle bar grips are sliding off handlebars. No other weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
    I commute to work every other day with this bicycle (round-trip 16 miles) and mountain bike nearly every weekend on the trails (it wouldnt be a mountain bike ride without the technical parts). This bicycle is extremely smooth on and off road. The seat is comfortable and that is how you feel when you ride. I had the opportunity to ride this bike prior to purchase; and was impressed as soon as I started riding. I rode a Specialized in the same price range and it was not near as comfortable as this Cannondale. In comparison to my previous hardtails Ive owned ($400 - 550 pricerange), it is well worth the cost. The brakes are phenominal with immediate reaction. The lock-out fork has a smooth transition as well (unlike others I have switched...very stiff in comparison). The fork shocks handle extremely well in technical areas on the trail. The tires grip very well on the trail and suprisingly dont require alot of extra effort to move on pavement. I bought a low end Dawes road bike to commute ($400); I have ditched the road bike simply because this is the most smooth and comfortable bike I have ever rode. I also previously bought the 2012 Dawes Haymaker 1200 hardtail mountain bike; I ditched it too. There is no comparison between the two bikes; this Cannondale is far superior....spend the extra money. I personally like the "big platform peddles", much easier to keep my feet on the peddles when on the trail. In my opinion, this is one of the best looking bikes out there. It seems a bit of pride was put into this bike through its paint. (I own the orange/grey). What else can I say except I am thoroughly impressed and happy with this bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park Colorado Springs

Purchased At:   Criterium

Similar Products Used:   2000 Trek 4500 hardtail
    2012 Dawes Haymaker 1200 Hardtail
    2012 Dawes Lightning DT road bike

Submitted by Terry

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    beautifully made frame, fantastic looks, very very light. all-in-all i struggle to find fault with the bike. my local bike shop upgraded my rear mech to an XT item which im sure has made all the difference.

Weaknesses:    if i was to split hairs i"d say white grips.

Bottom Line:
    its striking looks first drew me to this bike. the frame is a masterpiece , very smooth and well finished , to me at least a proper headturner.im quite shocked at how light the bike is, allegedlly 28.5 lbs. it feels a lot lighter.
    fast rolling rapid rob tires on black rims again look very purposeful and do the job well, grippy and also fast clearing, though not recommended for proper sloppy mud. brakes are good, and look great in anodised green, levers and calliper housing. saddle looks sleek and is very very comfortable. a friend kept on at me about this bike and really talked me into it. glad he did have yet to do any epic journey but judging by what i have ridden it"ll be more than up to it an comfortable. the shifters work very well , the only non-stock item on my bike is the rear mech which the shop let me upgrade to an XT item for £30.............happy days!

Submitted by Doug

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike I live in the desert and sometimes ride on the trails then cutting across open areas of the Mojave desert and then back on pavement love the brakes stops on a dime and give you 9 cents change back

Weaknesses:    handle bar grips are questionable but my gel padded gloves took care of that

Bottom Line:
    Im glad I got it Very nice riding bike built tough rock solid had the bike for 2 weeks and put about 250 miles on it can't say enough good about it. it's awesome. It's the best investment I have made for my health and recreation I ride 20 to 25 miles every day I can do it in under 2 hours'

Submitted by juren

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Very good frame. Very sturdy, lightweight, and has a good value for the money. Good wheelset, seatpost, stem, handlebar for the price. Good workmanship on d frame. Nice saddle btw.

Weaknesses:    crankset, fd, rd, chain, brakeset as well as the fork can be improved.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, this the best bike in its price range. I have thisike for 4 mos now and it. Already has miles and miles of trail in its belt. It can handle 3ft jumps and still works great. I have upgraded mine to address weaknesses mentioned above and it feels great.

Submitted by rocstar

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Strenght of frame. Overall comfort of ride. Price! I ride 3 times a week on a difficult double diamond single track Im 6" and 230 taking 4ft jumps and drops, there isnt a hardtail out there that can compare with this bike, components may not be top of line but test ride this bike and others and youll see why i give the trail six a 5!

Weaknesses:    Cannondale did not equip this bike with the proper tire Kenda small block 8 replaced with Kenda nevagal

Bottom Line:
    Great Bike!!!

GWNF - New Trail Locations

I'm looking at riding the GWNF outside of Harrisonburg/Staunton in the coming weeks. Besides a few quick rides when passing through on I-81, it's been a while (2011) since I last heavily rode there. I've read of some new trails. One at Narrowback, and the other on Lookout. I'd like to check out ... Read More »

Pics from White Salmon hospital trail?

Anybody post any pics of Hospital trail in White Salmon? I have family that lives up ubove Jewit creek not far from the hospital. Where does it start and end? How long of a ride is it? Is it far from the shooting range? I know, to many questions. My Uncle has lived there for probably 43 years now. I ... Read More »

08-03-13 North Umpqua Trail...Dread and Terror Section Ride

A slide show can be found here. [url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/junfan/slideshow/Facebook/080313%20North%20Umpqua%20Trail]080313 North Umpqua Trail Slideshow by junfan | Photobucket[/url] For those that have never ridden the North Umpqua trail....you are missing out. The trail is technic ... Read More »

Busselton to Flinders Bay Rail Trail Community Consultation

[img]http://i0.wp.com/aushiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/ShireAMR.jpg?resize=529%2C454[/img] The Shire of Augusta-Margaret River, City of Busselton and the National Trust of Australia (WA) have worked in partnership to develop a master-plan for a world-class recreational, tourism and education ... Read More »

Dome trail

A few of us have been up on the dome trail knocking down grass/cow parsnip, and cutting back alder overgrowth. We'll be up today finishing the top half. Trail still has some potholes from the Knoya Ridge Race, but it should ride well after the work today.Read More »