Cannondale Trail SL 4 XC Hardtail

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Get on the Trail. Your journey begins here. Welcome to the world of two wheels and fat tires. Your Trail awaits. Where it takes you is entirely up to you.

• Frame: Trail SL, Optimized 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1.5" headtube
  • Fork: RST Deuce TNL, 100mm, coil/elastomer, lockout, 1.5"
  • Spokes: Stainless Black
  • Tires: Kenda Small Block 8, 26x2.1"
  • Pedals: V Platform w/steel cage
  • Shifters: Shimano Alivio

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ROB MULL

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2013

Strengths:    Good frame. rides great

Weaknesses:    headset.

Bottom Line:
    have cannondale sl4 2012 model for 18 months now, replaced bottom bracket worn .heads set replaced with sealed ones..rear wheel replaced spokes snapped.got to bleed brakes every 3months or so.hand grip replaced with lockons.other than that great bike. have done 3k miles on it in all weathers,check head set bearing are greased. ring bearing type.not much grease in there from new.

Submitted by Jason Stewart a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    Bike rides smooth and comfortable on a variety of terrain. Frame is solid. The Helix hydraulic discs have worked flawlessly and stop on a dime every time. Also the bike just looks great.

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any major weaknesses. I do plan to upgrade seat & grips but stock they aren't too shabby with gloves & padded riding shorts. Tires are good for all around riding but a tad slick in softer terrain or mud.

Bottom Line:
    I love this bike. The sharp look-matte gray/orange color scheme immediately caught my eye. When I took it for a test run at the shop I instantly fell in love with it. I've now been riding it for 6 months on trails from Texas all the way to California. I haven't had a single problem with it. It shifts well and the suspension handles the bumps/small drops & jumps well also. The bike feels great when you're either on or off road. For me this bike was a slight step up from my former Trek hard tail ($400.00-$500.00 price range). The tires are a bit mellow in my opinion, but they ride extremely smooth on hard pack trails. When you hit the softer stuff like mud or loose dirt they are a little less grippy, but I'm also used to having more aggressive tires. If your looking for a solid all mountain bike I'd highly recommend this one. I ride frequently and I got to say this bike's been worth every penny I paid for it so far.

Favorite Trail:   Jedi- @ Hulda Crooks Park- Loma Linda, CA

Duration Product Used:   6 Months

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles, Ho

Submitted by Ph141t

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Very smooth ride. Looks great. Brakes stop on a dime. Seat is comfortable. Tires grip well on the trail. Fork handles obstacles beautifully in technical areas.

Weaknesses:    Handle bar grips are sliding off handlebars. No other weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
    I commute to work every other day with this bicycle (round-trip 16 miles) and mountain bike nearly every weekend on the trails (it wouldnt be a mountain bike ride without the technical parts). This bicycle is extremely smooth on and off road. The seat is comfortable and that is how you feel when you ride. I had the opportunity to ride this bike prior to purchase; and was impressed as soon as I started riding. I rode a Specialized in the same price range and it was not near as comfortable as this Cannondale. In comparison to my previous hardtails Ive owned ($400 - 550 pricerange), it is well worth the cost. The brakes are phenominal with immediate reaction. The lock-out fork has a smooth transition as well (unlike others I have switched...very stiff in comparison). The fork shocks handle extremely well in technical areas on the trail. The tires grip very well on the trail and suprisingly dont require alot of extra effort to move on pavement. I bought a low end Dawes road bike to commute ($400); I have ditched the road bike simply because this is the most smooth and comfortable bike I have ever rode. I also previously bought the 2012 Dawes Haymaker 1200 hardtail mountain bike; I ditched it too. There is no comparison between the two bikes; this Cannondale is far superior....spend the extra money. I personally like the "big platform peddles", much easier to keep my feet on the peddles when on the trail. In my opinion, this is one of the best looking bikes out there. It seems a bit of pride was put into this bike through its paint. (I own the orange/grey). What else can I say except I am thoroughly impressed and happy with this bicycle.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park Colorado Springs

Purchased At:   Criterium

Similar Products Used:   2000 Trek 4500 hardtail
    2012 Dawes Haymaker 1200 Hardtail
    2012 Dawes Lightning DT road bike

Submitted by Terry

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2012

Strengths:    beautifully made frame, fantastic looks, very very light. all-in-all i struggle to find fault with the bike. my local bike shop upgraded my rear mech to an XT item which im sure has made all the difference.

Weaknesses:    if i was to split hairs i"d say white grips.

Bottom Line:
    its striking looks first drew me to this bike. the frame is a masterpiece , very smooth and well finished , to me at least a proper headturner.im quite shocked at how light the bike is, allegedlly 28.5 lbs. it feels a lot lighter.
    fast rolling rapid rob tires on black rims again look very purposeful and do the job well, grippy and also fast clearing, though not recommended for proper sloppy mud. brakes are good, and look great in anodised green, levers and calliper housing. saddle looks sleek and is very very comfortable. a friend kept on at me about this bike and really talked me into it. glad he did have yet to do any epic journey but judging by what i have ridden it"ll be more than up to it an comfortable. the shifters work very well , the only non-stock item on my bike is the rear mech which the shop let me upgrade to an XT item for £30.............happy days!

Submitted by Doug

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike I live in the desert and sometimes ride on the trails then cutting across open areas of the Mojave desert and then back on pavement love the brakes stops on a dime and give you 9 cents change back

Weaknesses:    handle bar grips are questionable but my gel padded gloves took care of that

Bottom Line:
    Im glad I got it Very nice riding bike built tough rock solid had the bike for 2 weeks and put about 250 miles on it can't say enough good about it. it's awesome. It's the best investment I have made for my health and recreation I ride 20 to 25 miles every day I can do it in under 2 hours'

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2012

Strengths:    - Overall a very solid and smooth feeling
    - Good brakes, I was surprised of their stopping power
    - Frame is awesome, smooth welds.
    - The RST Omega TNL (is Deuce the same thing?) fork does it's job fine, some say it's easy to bottom it out (haven't managed that yet), but you can easily regulate that with preload and hydraulic damping.

Weaknesses:    -They could equip it a bit better. Don't get me wrong, Shimano Alivio/Acera derailleur/crank set works just fine, but there could be something better.
    -There is another thing you have to be aware regarding the Cannondale/Bengal Helix 6 brakes (if you are in EU you probably get those). Almost surely you will find it unable to get any brake pads for this set. So what you wanna do is get pads for Hayes Sole, since those are the only ones that fit. They are easy to get but a bit harder to insert since they are a bit fatter than the original pads.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this 26" SL4 2012 a week ago and it met all the expectations. In this price range it's definitely worth the money.
    Rides perfectly.

Submitted by cauter a Downhiller from Amherst New York USA

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2011

Strengths:    TIGHT....smooth ride....Great seat and riding position. I have put in 3 50 mile days on this bike and simply love it. I got the Cannondale team green...looks as awesome as it handles.

Weaknesses:    assembled in taiwan now....bike is still awesome and is truely the the best 29er HT frame you can get (I like it better then the Niner Air frame) but Cannondale should keep making all of the bikes in PA USA.

Better comps would be nice but that would raise the price considerably

Bottom Line:
    One word.

AWESOME

Favorite Trail:   Hunter Creek NY

Cannondale Trail SL 4 29er

Just picked up a 2013 cannondale trail sl 4 29er. I've been out of the biking scene for quite awhile, I'm just wondering what kind of upgrades would you all do this bike and why. Things I already know i'm getting Clipless pedals, (I want the carbon SAVE seatpost, don't know if it fits this ... Read More »

2012 Trail SL 4 Forks jammed.

Bought my son a brand new '12 Trail SL 4 this past Tuesday. We rode a total of about forty-five miles until his forks jammed in the locked position. When they're in the (Normal, unjammed) locked position there is still a little bit of travel, but being jammed they are as stiff as rigid forks :conf ... Read More »

Do You Have Pics Of Your Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 NEW Fork ??

I'm just looking to see which fork you guys went for. We all know that the fork that comes stock on our Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 isn't the greatest for us. So I'm curious to what you went with and how it looks on your bike. Thx!Read More »

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 fork questions.

Hi guys so I am going to look at a Cannondale Trail SL 29er 4 2012 model later this week as my first bike. It seems to have a decent component set, I am wondering a bit about the Cannondale Helix 3 disc brakes and how good they are so if anyone has any input that would be appreciated and also the fr ... Read More »

12 Cannondale Trail SL 29r 4 vs 11 Focus Black Forest 3.0 29r vs Fuji Outland 29r 3.0

So I'm moving to the SF Bay Area from Italy and given the huge amount of awesome trails there I really want to get back in the action. I'm currently commuting to work with a hybrid walmart-level Schwinn. I'm in the process of getting a new 29er MTB considering: - I'll be commuting with it m ... Read More »