Cannondale Trail SL 2 XC Hardtail

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Get on the Trail. Your journey begins here. Welcome to the world of two wheels and fat tires. Your Trail awaits. Where it takes you is entirely up to you.

• Frame: Trail SL, Optimized 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1.5" headtube
  • Fork: RockShox Recon Silver TK, 100mm, Solo Air, lockout, rebound, 1.5"
  • Spokes: Stainless Black
  • Tires: Kenda Small Block 8, 26x2.1"
  • Pedals: V Platform w/steel cage
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by terrasonic05 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, Headstock and Bars, Brakes, and excellent design geometry.

Weaknesses:    Drivetrain, Forks, Rims.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great 29er design that is unfortunately hamstrung by low end, and some junk, drivetrain componants and not very good wheels. For the high price Cannondale could have at least keep everything within Shimano's prefered groupo classes. Low end Deore parts are throughout, except for a few spots where even Deore was forsaken for Shimano componants typically used on WALMART bikes. The Forks are ok, but seriously cheap and only good for not so serious riding.

Surprisingly, although cheap, the Shimano hydraulic brakes work very well, not that much below my other XT brakes.

Bottom line- excellent design with very cheap componants. Cannondale is looking greedier and greedier to me every year, which is disheartening as they have been my mainstay for a decade and a half.

Purchased At:   Bikelane Conroe Texa

Bike Setup:   Replaced items- Fox Talas 32 Fork, Shimano 2013 XT complete drivetrain and cranks, except for an SLX Shadow-Plus rear mech.

Submitted by paeltz a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    Frame, groupset, price

Weaknesses:    Fork, wheelset, tires

Bottom Line:
    For the price you can't beat it. The CAAD frame is top of the line with great response and agility. Being 245 pounds I was shocked how quick and nimble this bike feels as compared to comparable trek and specialized models. The reacon silver fork is trash and the wheelset is very heavy. If you want to go tubeless you will need another set of tires- these can't cut it. Overall I still give a top notch rating, I have upgraded the fork, wheelset, crank, and rear derailleur and have a great bike.

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX crank, X7 groupset, hope evo II hubs with stans flowex rims, fox float 32 120mm fork, on-one mary handlebar.

Submitted by mevadus a All Mountain Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2012

Strengths:    I purchased this bike to replace an older GT Avalanche FS. It is a really great bike. The components that come with it are... But I bought it so cheap that I ended up swapping them out for a full xt group. What a world of difference. I am thinking about putting a lefty fork on it, because it has the 1.5" headtube and I can. This bike is responsive, and with the xt group it is probably a bike that I won't replace until after my back is killing me and I need to sell-out to another FS.

Weaknesses:    Components are okay, seat is ehh, and handlebars were too wide for me.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great bike, and if you are willing to upgrade the components, wheelset, and other parts over time, you will more than likely keep it forever.

Favorite Trail:   Balm Boyette: Ridgeline

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Wjenkins a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Handles amazing, nice gearing, smotth ride

Weaknesses:    Saddle sucks without padded shorts.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome bike... Use it for my daily commute and trails, it handles them all very nicely. On trails it like riding on rails. It's fun riding it on the street as well, passing people on their little 26"ers, hehehe... Very well built bike, and if your just looking for a 29er to try, these Cannondales are best for your buck.

Favorite Trail:   Whittier park

Purchased At:   Olymipia

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by BlueCannon a Weekend Warrior from Fort Worth, Texas, United States

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Light, nimble, smooth, and fast. Shimano Hydraulic disc brakes and Rockshox Recon Silver TK air 100mm fork with lockout and rebound adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Cornering fast can get a bit sketchy with the Kenda Small Block tires, but that's an easy fix.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is solid. I love the fork and the brakes. Deore drive train is great as well. I have only had it about a month, but have been out on the trails with it quite a bit and even use it a couple days a week to commute to work (10 miles one way). It feels light, nimble, and climbs like a champ. Components seem to be among the best on any bike in that price range. Great all mountain hard tail and with the lockout feature on the fork, it tears up the streets as well.

Favorite Trail:   Sansom Park