Cannondale Trail 6 XC Hardtail

4.13/5 (8 Reviews)

Get on the Trail. Your journey begins here. Welcome to the world of two wheels and fat tires. Your Trail awaits. Where it takes you is entirely up to you.

• Frame: Trail, double butted 6061 alloy, SAVE, 1-1/8” headtube
  • Fork: RST Gila T, 100mm, coil w/ elastomer, 1-1/8"
  • Spokes: Stainless Black
  • Tires: Kenda Small Block 8 26x2.1", wire
  • Pedals: FPD Platform w/ steel cage
  • Shifters: Shimano Acera

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Weekender92

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    frame, controls, seat

Weaknesses:    pedals, fork, brakes

Bottom Line:
    This is my first mountain bike, over the year that I have had this, I have also ridden a heavily modified Specilalized Hardrock and a full suspension Kona to compare it to. The Trail 6 has great handling, as long as the tires are kept around 45psi. Below that, the bike is not as stable and is unpredictable. The wheels are strong and have not bent, even after some hard hits. The fork works well, but it does not seem ideal for any high-speed downhill segments, I think a lower end RockShox fork will cure this. The brakes were worthless, I upgraded to Avid BB7's and they made a world of difference. Past these, all of the controls have worked great, handlebar is a little narrow, the grips are good and the bike is comfortable. This is a great handling, durable and fast bike to either learn with, upgrade to, or just add to your collection.

Submitted by Jason a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, Wheels, Rear Derailer, Cranks. Seat post, Stem, Bars.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, Seat, Front Derailer, Brakes. Tires.

Bottom Line:
    So Ill cut straight to the point. Review based on one very long day of all around riding and abuse, downhill, climbing, jumping, in town/pavement.

Strengths-Wheels and main components of frame feel solid and function well. Fork, although a cheap brand, functions very well. Rear derailer gave me no issues at all. Cranks feel very solid no play or noise what so ever.

Weakness-Pedals are plastic, and have very small studs I found myself readjusting way too often. Brakes are terrible, although they will slow you down they make horrible noise wet and dry when applied hard and are very uneven and gummy. Front rotor began rubbing occasionally after some very light use. Seat extremely uncomfortable and not durable, ripped very easily. Front derailer is no good, functions good but occasionally has issues and jumped the chain once. Contemplaying removing it completely for now. Frame gemoetry good all around for me (5'10) but stem slightly too long for me. Feels a little off when going down steep hills and larger jumps, enough so that I will be looking into a different frame more suited for downhill and jumping.

All around Im happy with this bike. Good for all around and XC. If you ride it nicely and stay up on maitenence should last you a very long time with all stock parts. If I did it again I would have saved for another month or two and gotten a more exspensive main brand, probably full suspension.

Submitted by juren

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Very good frame. Very sturdy, lightweight, and has a good value for the money. Good wheelset, seatpost, stem, handlebar for the price. Good workmanship on d frame. Nice saddle btw.

Weaknesses:    crankset, fd, rd, chain, brakeset as well as the fork can be improved.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, this the best bike in its price range. I have thisike for 4 mos now and it. Already has miles and miles of trail in its belt. It can handle 3ft jumps and still works great. I have upgraded mine to address weaknesses mentioned above and it feels great.

Submitted by rocstar

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Strenght of frame. Overall comfort of ride. Price! I ride 3 times a week on a difficult double diamond single track Im 6" and 230 taking 4ft jumps and drops, there isnt a hardtail out there that can compare with this bike, components may not be top of line but test ride this bike and others and youll see why i give the trail six a 5!

Weaknesses:    Cannondale did not equip this bike with the proper tire Kenda small block 8 replaced with Kenda nevagal

Bottom Line:
    Great Bike!!!

Submitted by breuxkev a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Frame, price

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
    I had a low budget and this looked like the best bike in the price range and it fit me the best. I purchased with the intent of slowly but surely upgrading the components. The lower end Shimano components work well except for the brakes. I've had to replace the rear pads after about 6 weeks of riding and have to adjust them every time I remove a wheel. They will be the first thing upgraded.Overall I am very happy with purchase and enjoy riding it.

Purchased At:   Youngblood, Ashevill

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by richard

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2012

Strengths:    brakes tires frame

Weaknesses:    pedals

Bottom Line:
    purcharsed the bike 3 weeks ago i ride everyday both pedals broke took it back and they replaced the pedals with some alloy ones for free. for the price i dont think you will find a better bike. wish there was lockout tho

Submitted by Migz

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Alloy frame

Weaknesses:    Everything else on this bike sucks.
    I replaced the brake set including disc rotor, crankset and chain, casette and shifters, the derailleurs, handlebar, stem, seatpost, saddle and fork.

Bottom Line:
    the frame is the only thing worth appreciating

Submitted by Guaro a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2012

Strengths:    Very good entry level bike Solid frame on this bike I've taken a couple of falls on it already and the bike has no problem.Really good brakes they have saved me quite a few times from taking some nasty spills.

Weaknesses:    Tires might be a little to slippery on sandy trails. Pedals suck they broke after the first time went ahead and replaced them with some aluminum Wellgo pedals.

Bottom Line:
    This is my second mountain bike , my first one was a cheap mongoose model and it was terrible the suspension would bottom out. I'm 6'1" 215 lbs and I returned it and got the Trail 6 and I love this bike. Suspension feels really good this was after adjusting the front shock, I take jumps with it with no problem. Overall very good product

Favorite Trail:   Cunningham Park

Purchased At:   Bellitte's Bike Shop

TRAIL 29ER 6 First Upgrades

Just got back into mountain biking..I got a hardtrail 29er. I wanted some advice on what my first upgrades should be. I know I want to get new pedals and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on which ones to get. Thanks!Read More »

Peak 6 Construction Effect on Peaks Trail?

Anyone have any idea if the Peak 6 construction closure affects Peaks Trail use? From the press release "As part of the construction process, the USFS has issued an official Forest Supervisor Closure for the Peak 6 construction area closing all roads and trails within the area for the duration ... Read More »

My 6.5lb steel trail frame

This is my first single pivot frame, so far working out sweet. Was thinking steel single pivot like this would be kinda flexi in the rear but it's solid as. even been down some DH trails and handled them with ease well for a trail bike. Frame weight without shock is 6.5lbs [IMG]http://images ... Read More »

Impromptu Stephens Trail Maintenance 7-6-13

Hi all. We are going to have a late hour, impromptu, preliminary, trail maintenance - ride, get together, for those who feel like coming out. When: July 6, 9:00 am Where: North end of the Pink trail head. (Where pink trail comes out on Waterloo valley rd by the rail road crossing) aka ... Read More »

Gunsight Ridge trail beta 6/13

Anyone know if Gunsight is snowfree? and cleared? or if not, when it might be?Read More »