Cannondale M500 XC Hardtail

4.5/5 (16 Reviews)

Cannondale M500

Submitted by willhouse207 a Weekend Warrior from Gray Maine

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    very light, good geo, 1-1/8 headset

Bottom Line:
Pretty awesome bike. Very very light since its fully ridged AL. I bought it on a trip to NC, wanted to bike while i was down there and it was cheaper to buy this than fly my ellsworth down and back. This bike brought me back, 21 speed, pedal cages, no suspension. I had a blast on the bike. I still have it, and although I don't ride it often, I doubt I will ever give it up

Favorite Trail:   ragan

Purchased At:   CL

Similar Products Used:   raleigh m60

Submitted by love2mtnbike8888 a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    Very lightweight, responsive, rigid and durable frame. Easily climbs mountain trails. Paint work is fantastic. I've had this bike for 16 years and have had absolutely no problems! Will never give this bike up!

Weaknesses:    Components were so-so. I've upgraded to XTRs, Avids 7, Mavics tires and it is fantastic now!

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line: I have owned this bike for 16 years and have do not regret getting this bike. Everyone I meet knows about this bike and yearns to own one. Met a man with his $5,000 carbon Cannondale and he told me he wish he could get his M500 back and sell his carbon bike. If you want a quality XC bike, this is one of the best as far as a number of my friends say.

Favorite Trail:   Any single tracks! Hard to find tho

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   mid-level KHS, mid-level Diamondback, and cheap-level Skykomish (I think right spelling)

Bike Setup:   XTRs drive components including crankset, both derailleurs and 8-speed free wheels, Avids 7 V-brakes, SRAM speed shifters, Carbon JudyRox Shocks suspension forks, Velociraptor tires, working on changing seat and seat post.

Submitted by rcloud a Cross Country Rider from Troon, Ayrshire, Scotland

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    Superb lightweight, responsive, rigid and durable frame. Climbs like a mountain goat.

Weaknesses:    The paintwork chips relatively easily. I was led to believe that the Cannondale paintwork was almost bomb proof but perhaps I was just unlucky or perhaps 1993 was not a good year

Bottom Line:
I have owned this bike for almost 16 years and although I have bought other MTBs since I keep coming back to this one as it seems to suit me much better. When equiped with the Big Apple tyres and pannier rack it is a superb touring bike that still handles well even when laden with my tent and other equipment.

Purchased At:   Edinburgh Bicycle Co

Similar Products Used:   M900

Bike Setup:   Original Shimano Altus groupset but replaced saddle as frame is very rigid and I needed something that was a bit more comfortable. For road and light trail use I also utilize the superb Schwalbe Big Apple replaced tyres, which are fast, great for cornering and almost puncture proof

Submitted by Eitan Avner a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2006

Strengths:    Great rigid frame, light and durable. Great finish.

Weaknesses:    Parts. Frame can be too stiff for long ridings.

Bottom Line:
I have used my bikes in the past 13 years since I bought them on most of riding style: City, Cross Country, All Mountain, tried some Urban (had to change the seat post due to no experience though ;-)
Most of my riding were ~30-40 km (~18-25 miles) with some exceptions of ~75-80 miles.
Great frame (Sometimes too stiff ;-), very good on climbing, fast and responsive.
Finish is great no paint chip (I guess if I kept it for 13 years I keep it forever ;-)
I am planning to replace the gearing to Speed-hub system.
If you are looking for an all purpose bikes, give Cannondale a chance, this bike can handle almost any terrain, and I have tried some rough terrains.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Cannondale dealer Israel

Bike Setup:   Original 1993 setup + rear Cannondale carrier. I changed the chain and the shifters once.

Submitted by Dano a Cross Country Rider from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    fantastic frame, durability, frame stiffness, climbing, and smooth as silk cruising

Weaknesses:    stock wheels and hubs, deraileurs both front and rear especially the front

Bottom Line:
this bike is an awesome ride, fully rigid frame is really responsive and precise. The caad 2 frame is bulletproof, upgrade the components and this bike is the most reliable off road machine made. the high quality ride of this bike will last forever.

Favorite Trail:   power lines

Purchased At:   Cycle Therapy Burnt Hills, NY

Bike Setup:   shimano m system brake pads on STX canti's, STX rc front deraileur, STX rear deraileur, turbocat qr 25 lighting system (kicks ass) and m 520 shimano clipless pedals

Submitted by PAUL WITT a Cross Country Rider from MINNEAPOLIS, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2004

Strengths:    SUPER LIGHT, ULTRA DURABLE (4 DIGGERS AND NO DENTS IN THE FRAME)EASY TO FIND ACCESSORIES FOR...

Weaknesses:    WEAK COMPONENTS, THEY ALL PROBABLY NEED TO BE REPLACED

Bottom Line:
FOR THE PRICE I PAID AND HAVE USED, THIS BIKE IS WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD, ULTRA DURABLE, NO MAJOR REPAIRS HAVE EVER BEEN NEEDED, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BIKE TO A FIRST TIME BUYER, I WILL NEVER BUY ANYTHING BUT CANNONDALE, GO USA!

Favorite Trail:   RED CEDAR, MENOMONIE WI

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   CANNONDALE M300

Bike Setup:   ROCK SHOX, CODA SEAT, KALITE POST, FACTORY SHIFTING,

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, WV

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Strengths:    Withstood the test of time. Super stiff frame.

Weaknesses:    Super stiff frame.

Bottom Line:
Bike purchased new in 1996. It is showing its age now, but I could not have asked any more from it over the years. I plan on my next mountain bike being a Cannondale.

Purchased At:   Charleston Bicycle Center

Bike Setup:   Marz Bomber Z2 Fork

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Virginia Beach, VA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Light
Durable
Built to last

Weaknesses:    Stand-over height
Components

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike used for $140. I don't think I'll ever find a better deal. The frame is outstanding and strong. When I bought it I weighted 225 lbs and it handled the weight very well. It has taken York River and Waller Mill in Williamsburg with no problems. The components are being replaced as fast as my wife and checkbook will allow. Great frame to build on. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   York River

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox, LX

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Winston-Salem, NC

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Strengths:    durable, light, and FAST.

Weaknesses:    components

Bottom Line:
a great value when i got it in 1995 - i have ridden mine HARD for the past 5 years, and it still rides well. the components suck, and are outdated, but the frame is rock solid. handles tight corners well, fast downhill. a good starter hardtail...point it and hang on.

Favorite Trail:   anything in pisgah

Similar Products Used:   specialized stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   STX front and rear, manitou x-vert front fork,
rolf satellites w/conti tires
7 speed grip shift

Submitted by Donovan a Cross Country Rider from Bedford, VA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2000

Strengths:    Good Paint
Strong
Durable

Weaknesses:    Not as light as you'd think

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this bike for two years offroad. Check out the trails around Lynchburg/Roanoke VA to see what terrain this bike has survived. The Imron paint has held up well. Cannondale makes a great bike- too bad they're so into these wacky front shock and full suspension concepts, otherwise I'd buy another when I eventually retire the M500, which won't be anytime soon.

Favorite Trail:   Pedlar ATVs

Similar Products Used:   OLD Raleigh Mtn Bike

Bike Setup:   Sun Rims, Marzocchi Front Shock, STX/LX components, Wellgo Clipless

Submitted by Lisa a Weekend Warrior from Holliston, MA USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2000

Strengths:    Sturdy frame, lightweight. The 14" frame is a perfect fit for a petite rider (under 5') like me!

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
I was worried about paying so much for this bike, but my worries were unfounded. This bike is nice and lightweight, making it easy for me to travel with it. It has stood the test of two hard years biking in Vietnam (check the reviews of this trail!) and hasn't broke yet!

Favorite Trail:   Vietnam

Similar Products Used:   None, had a cheapo Walmart version previously

Bike Setup:   Just the standard M500

Submitted by cdale a Cross-Country Rider from pittsburgh,Pa

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Strengths:
strong
lightweight
good price

Weaknesses:
not the greatest stand over hight
coda parts suck

Bottom Line:
This bike has a great frame light and Incredibly strong. It is a bit flexy but I don't care. I broke all the coda parts and I weigh 125. Its a good frame to build on.

1 Year

Submitted by Rus a Cross-Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1999

Strengths:
Well-balanced, visually appealing, durability. High-quality finishes/coats. Canny's blow the competition away. My '94 model still looks new!

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Nice frame for the money. Cannondale is pricey, but, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. All Canny's are well-built and ride like Cadillacs.

more than 3 years

Specialized Rockhopper, Cannondale F-400.

Upgraded to XT, 24-speed, Ritchey rims.

Submitted by Green 13 a Cross-Country Rider from San Jo

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1999

Strengths:
solid frame, big ass AMERICAN FLAG

Weaknesses:
rear end tends to wash out. cheap parts, expensive brand name

Bottom Line:
This is a light frame and very strong, it can take the abuse without sharing it to your arms. The back tire tends to wash, but if your conscience of this it is not a problem. With the right upgrades this can be a fine XC bike. Don't pay the money for shotty coda products,coda sucks like a sorority bimbo out for love.

your park yard

more than 3 years

your bike and your brothers

M500, w/LX and XT, Sid XL,

Submitted by James Flower a Cross-Country Rider from Chepstow

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1999

Strengths:
Brilliant quailty frame
light and responsive
Good basis for building up

Weaknesses:
none as yet...

Bottom Line:
A good solid bike with a winning frame design. For the money a solid buy which is unrivalled in terms of quality and value.

less than 1 month

Trek 6000

riser bars and off road tyres - smooth ride

Old M500 Restoration

I have an old M500 that I bought new back in 1996. Its been sitting in the garage now for probably close to a Decade maybe more. Since I used some of the parts on other bikes I was wondering if its possible to get original parts again and if so what are they. Right now Im looking for a headset, a ... Read More »

Cannondale m500 front suspension help

I have a 1994 cannondale m500. Its my first bike and I'm wanting to make it a front suspension bike. I'm wondering if anyone knows what shocks would work. ThanksRead More »

M500 front fork replacement

I am just getting back into riding after getting hurt real bad. I got a Cannondale m500 from a buddy. Front fork is off of something else and is trashed. Looking for a replacement suspension fork. I have no idea what to get. Sop near me is telling me its not worth fixing as it will cost too much. Ju ... Read More »

Retro 97 or 98 M500 rigid fork

I was cleaning out the garage and came across something I had totally forgotten about. Waaaay back in 1997 I jumped into the suspension craze by slapping a Manitou III onto my month old and beloved Cannondale M500, my first mountain bike. It was that metal flake purple that kinda changes color a lit ... Read More »

Which is the better frame 07 M500 or 08 F5?

i have a chance to see buy an 07 M500 and currently own an 08 F5. Would i be getting a better frame if i bought the M500?Read More »