Cannondale F600 XC Hardtail

4.57/5 (53 Reviews)

Submitted by zenpunkist a Weekend Warrior from pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame geometrics. Great climbing performance. Stiff fork.

Weaknesses:    Headshock leaks air,and it could use more travel squish. Handlebars are a bit to wide for my taste.

Bottom Line:
Great all around trail bike. This bike is at its best on fast rolling, choppy singletrack. Lock-out mechanism is very handy and accessible when needed. A few upgrades are in the works, for starters the tires need replaced. Very satisfied with this bike, its durability and handling is right on for the money.

Another goodie for any Cannondale fans - the SI head tube on the F600 is compatible with any Lefty fork. Thats an upgrade im considering and recommend for anyone.

Favorite Trail:   rockyridge

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycling

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   cannondale f600- fork super fatty ultra 80mm. stock everything FOR NOW

Submitted by Aidanfay a Weekend Warrior from U.K. NOW U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2010

Strengths:    THE FRAME GEOMETRY IS NICE FOR ME, I FIND IT AN EASY BIKE TO RIDE. HANDLING IS AGILE AND NIMBLE. BEST BIKE I'VE OWNED. SRAM X7 SHIFTING IS PRECISE. GOOD CLIMBER.

Weaknesses:    HEAD-SHOK LEAKS A LITTLE OIL. LOCK-OUT STOPPED WORKING AFTER 3 YEARS. A PROBLEM I KEEP HEARING ABOUT THIS MODEL. LOST AIR FROM THE SHOCK. RECENTLY BOUGHT A SHOCK-PUMP. SEEMS TO BE HOLDING AIR I'M RIDING WITH THE SHOCK AT 120psi. THAT'S PRETTY STIFF, I'M 160lbs. RECOMMENDED PRESSURE FOR MY WEIGHT IS 80psi. BUT WHO RECOMMENDS ? IF I GET A CHANCE TO PUT A RIGID FORK ON I WILL. THOUGH THAT'S A LOT OF HASTLE. I CHANGED THE ORIGINAL SEAT AND PEDALS, THEY SUCKED. I THINK THE SHOCK SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALLED AND FIXED FOR FREE.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS BIKE. CANNONDALE, FIX MY DAMN FORKS !. AND YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE WENT TO TAIWAN !. WHY DOES IT SAY "MADE IN U.S.A." ON YOUR NEW BIKES ?. ANYWAY, I'M GONNA RIDE IT TILL I BREAK IT FOR KEEPS.
BY THE WAY, I POSTED IN HERE BEFORE WHEN I FIRST GOT THE F600 BUT I LOST ALL MY LOG-IN INFO.
HAPPY TRAILS GUYS, GLAD TO BE HERE AGAIN, AIDAN.

Favorite Trail:   UMSTEAD RALEIGH.

Purchased At:   THE BICYCLE CHAIN, R

Similar Products Used:   GARY FISHER PARAGON, 1999. GREAT BIKE THOUGH MY ROOM-MATE BROKE THE FRAME. NEVER LONE YOUR BIKE, NOT EVEN FOR A SECOND.

Bike Setup:   ORIGINAL COMPONENTRY EXCEPT FOR- BONTRAGER LEATHER SADDLE, (kevlar side panels). HEMISPHERE ARMADILLO KEVLAR TIRES. STILL USE THE IRC TIRES FOR DIRT. PRIMO PLATFORM AND SHIMANO SPD PEDALS. TITEC BAR-ENDS.

Submitted by keesue a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid made in USA frame. Quality construction.

Weaknesses:    The seat

Bottom Line:
After upgrading the seat, the shifters and the crank, the bike is great. I put 1.3 conti street slicks on it for city duty and it is quick and very precise handling. It is a blast to ride. The flat black look is awesome. I get compliments on it all the time.

Favorite Trail:   The streets of San Fran

Purchased At:   Cycle City

Bike Setup:   Upgraded to XT cranks and XT shifters. Upgraded seat to Terry fly gel racing seat.

Submitted by clj766 a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte NC. usa

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Ridgid frame, nice welds, raw finish looks nice, sram x-7, frame warranty,

Weaknesses:    chain cheapest sram makes, seat sucks, wheels cheapest xc mavic 117, for what I paid should have hydros, tires suck, bars to wide, headshock not much travel,

Bottom Line:
If I could do it over I would have bought used bike with upgraded parts or maybe a 29er Rode a specialized rockhopper 29er and loved it compared to my bike. Good frame just the parts on it are pretty standard I would prefer a lefty over the headshock at least it has some travel. My back wheel has a hop in it I only weigh 150 thats after having it trued.

Favorite Trail:   sherman

Purchased At:   battle creek MI.

Similar Products Used:   GF piranna,

Bike Setup:   IRC kujo 2.35's plush but to heavey for xc, specialized seat and lock on grips, sram 991 crosslink chain best sram makes,

Submitted by roddy090 a Cross Country Rider from RI

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light, balance, smooth ride, descent components for now

Weaknesses:    wide bars, already broke the shock lockout (I went off a 4 foot drop with the lockout off. It should have handled it.)

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with the bike. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a $1000 bike.

The shock is getting replaced for no cost so I can't complain about that.

It took a little time getting used to the seat, but I can ride for hours now.

Purchased At:   ski market

Bike Setup:   stock except I cut 1 inch (thats as far as the shifter and brake lever will move in) off each side of the handle bars with a pipe cutter . Helped a bit, very easy to do.
Put quality platform pedals on for now.

Submitted by kentlewan a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Strengths:    Brakes, Frame, Smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Suspension Cartridge

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike strictly for weekend use on local fire roads. It's a good choice for that, and gets me to the top of the mountain and down without any hitches.

I have continually had problems with the suspension cartridge. After less than 1 year of use, it began leaking, and I have had to have it inflated at local shops ever since (I don't own the special high-pressure pump that is required to inflate it). Just today I was in the shop and the mech showed me that thing is leaking (showing me the gauge), and he says I need new seals - only from a licensed Cannondale shop! That's a real bummer.

I can't fully recommend this bike until Cannondale makes more reliable seals for their suspension cartrige. Or else maybe the local shop (Cylcle Sports) gave me a bummer product. I don't know. I'll probably have the suspension replaced, hopefully with a more reliable version. Otherwise, I am happy with the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tam Eldrige Grade

Purchased At:   Cycle Sports, Oaklan

Submitted by Aidan from Portadown, N. Ireland

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Strengths:    positive shifting. easy handeling on any surface. light, nimble, great bike for trails or commuting. shock lockout for commuting or climbs.

Weaknesses:    had to change the saddle and pedals, the stock ones sucked. wide handlebar could be a hinderance in the woods.

Bottom Line:
best bike i've ever owned though i did like the Fisher. I'm 46 165 lbs. still like to get out on trails. i do'nt race. i'm more the avid enthusiast. but i know bicycles and i like my Cannondale. only thing that concerns me is overhauling the Headshok. i do have a pdf manual for the shok. speacial tools required. but until it breaks i'm riding this killer bike. a lot.

Favorite Trail:   Umstead State Park, Raleigh.

Purchased At:   the bicycle chain, Raleigh. N.C. USA

Similar Products Used:   used to own a Gary Fisher Paragon til my housemate in Fla. broke the frame. never lone your bike to anyone, espeacially people who ca'nt appreciate good bikes.

Bike Setup:   Sram x7 rear works really well. Speacialized seat. IRC Tires, dirt. kevlar Armadillo road/dirt tires, (little heavier but do'nt have to worry about punctures on commutes. edge 205 GPS. Titec bar-ends. Shimano SPD.

Submitted by Zachary a Cross Country Rider from Palm Desert, CA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    Frame rigidity/lightness, Headshok fork lockout/rebound control, IRC Serac Tires, Disk brakes stop with one-finger pull.

Weaknesses:    25mm Riser Bar too wide, Seat twists, stock pedals are no-go, seat causes sore nutz.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the Porsche of hardtails. It launches like a missile, from a dead-start, climbs like an amped goat, and is SO dialed-in, that all you need to do......is point and shoot it- wherever you want it to go. It's capable of big air, and is so tossable on trails....it should be outlawed.

The handmade Furio frame is an absolute work of art, and inspires confidence and a good set of balls, while aggressively riding. Even diehard roadies are amazed at this bikes' surreal speed, handling, and durability.

If you want REAL bang-for-the-buck......this bike is as bling as it gets- no lie!

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek Park

Purchased At:   Private Party

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Piranha, Rocky Mountain Vertex 50, Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disk, Trek 9000.

Bike Setup:   Replaced seat with Fizik Nisene Wingflex Sport; Upgraded pedals to Crank Bros. Eggbeaters; SRAM X7 rear mech/shifters, Mavic XM117 rims, IRC Serac 26"x2.1" tires,

Submitted by jeff a Racer from boulder, co usa

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2007

Strengths:    cheap butlong

Weaknesses:    could keep up with my pants

Bottom Line:
quality purchase at 47 dollars got me home that guy probably not.

Purchased At:   homless mcgee pearl st

Similar Products Used:   coche

Bike Setup:   seat pedal

Submitted by Dash a Cross Country Rider from prescott

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2006

Strengths:    Reliability, light weight, looks good, resale value, Made in USA!

Weaknesses:    Headshok cartridge.

Bottom Line:
For the money I have zero complaints. Prior to this I rode a Cannondale Super V. Switched to this for lighter weight only. I had zero problems with the Super V as well.

Since purchasing the bike new in '03, the only problem I've faced is the headshok cartridge. I blew an 0-ring. But this took a good three years of many miles of riding. I'd categroize this as typical riding wear & tear. Since the seal was blown, I decided to replace the stock headshok cartridge with the Magura Cannondale CSS. This unit is a true 80mm of travel. It's very plush and has rebound dial similar to the stock Headshok's from '06 and newer.

Best handling XC hardtail for the cash. Replace the cheaper components as they wear out with higher quality/lighter and keep on riding till the paint falls off. Great quality bike, MADE IN THE USA!!

Favorite Trail:   the dirt kind :)

Bike Setup:   Specialized ergo seat, platform pedals, Kenda Nevagal, Rockshox suspension seat post, riser bars, Magura CSS headshok cartridge.

Submitted by Graham a Cross Country Rider from Coeur d Alene, ID

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2006

Strengths:    Head Shock, Climbing

Weaknesses:    Steering tube bolt rusted quickly.

Bottom Line:
When I bought the bike I was looking for a good deal on a hardtail. I've ridden the bike for two years now, two to three times a week and no problems as of yet, although the rear derailleur is starting to act up. The bike is a great climber and servicable on the descent. I like the ability to lock out the head shock for smoother climbs and the ride to the trail. Probably upgrade to a full suspension in another year or two, but this bike had held up really well for me.

Favorite Trail:   Canfield Mounain

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale M800

Bike Setup:   Stock, nothing failed yet

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Makes me want to ride. Bike is Light, Quick, and Responsive. I love Cannondale's Front Suspension Super Fatty DLR, with adjustable rebound, only 2.85! The Bike just seems well balanced, without excessive wt. in the front from a typical heavy suspension fork. the Avid BB5 disc breaks are one finger action! lots of stopping power. Love the matte blue finish.

Weaknesses:    Comes with Sram components... I personlly prefer shimano Rapid Fire. I did not like the stock c-dale grips.

Bottom Line:
Fun Fun Fun to Ride! this bike feels like a solid built quality made bike. that should last quite a while. This bike begs to be ridden and ridden hard! I love to be out on the trail on my new F600. like i said before, what i like best about this bike is it makes me want to ride.. I can't wait for the next time. Just a side note, the Customer Service at Princeton Sports on Falls Road is Fantastic! thanks guys.

Favorite Trail:   Potapsco (Avalon)

Purchased At:   LBS (Princeton Sports)

Similar Products Used:   '95 GT Timberline (STX/Alivio) fully rigid. never failed. (old faithful).

Bike Setup:   I had my LBS set it up with shimano XT Rear Derail. and Shimano LX Rapid Fire shifters. i prefer this over the thumb/thumb action of Sram. Kevlar WTB Velociraptors which are among the best tires out there. changed grips to Odi Lock-on Rouges, awesome upgrade.

Submitted by Adam White a Cross Country Rider from Great Barrington, MA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Frame/Fork Design, Construction and Finish

Weaknesses:    Some of the Components (Pedals, Seat, Bars, Brake Levers) are on the cheap side. The Jury is still out on the Avid Mechanical Discs.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for two years now. I love the handling, especially on climbs - I rode a GT LTS-1 full suspension before this and never realized how hard I was working. The finish on the frame is unbelievable - I have the Sobe team yellow with the Tribal designs, and the clearcoat is so thick that I have yet to put a significant scratch in it after a couple dozen serious wipeouts.

This is a great bike to buy if you want to get right on the trails and slowly add upgrades over time. The stock components are OK, but as you get more and more comfortable on the bike you'll outgrow many of them. The seat is the one thing I'd replace immediately; the torture device that comes stock is more or less worthless.

What's the deal with Avid Mechanical Discs? In my experience so far they have NOWHERE NEAR the stopping power of V-Brakes, even in wet and muddy conditions! My local wrench monkey says that it's just a matter of fine-tuning, but neither he nor anyone else has been able to dial these things in to my liking. If I had this purchase to make over again, I would opt for regular old V-Brakes.

All-in-all, a sweet ride indeed. And handmade in the U.S.A. too, gotta love that.

Favorite Trail:   The Power Lines in Amherst

Similar Products Used:   F400

Bike Setup:   LP Composites XC Riser Bars, Crank Brothers Candy Pedals, TekTro Levers, Serfas Seat, Panaracer Fire XC Tires

Submitted by Mike Sweum a Cross Country Rider from Sioux city

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    Frame,Headshok,disc brakes,front and rear derailleur,rims

Weaknesses:    Cannondale in house parts such as seatpost,brake levers and seat.Crank set could be better but have not had any trouble yet with them.No option to put v brakes on the frame.

Bottom Line:
I race cross country and this bike just flat out gets the job done.I weight 200 lbs and it feels very nimble and sturdy.Climbing is never a issue with this bike.I have the headshok set for my weight and it seems to respond really well to moderate to big bumps.People have been saying the Alpha Drive crankset stinks but honestly I have not had trouble with them.I can live with the in house Cannondale parts,they have to save money somewhere.I can easily hang with riders who have bikes that cost twice as much,and thats the satisfying part.Great bike,I highly recommend it for budget minded cross country racers.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Park