Cannondale F500 Bike XC Hardtail

4.43/5 (67 Reviews)

F500

Submitted by Joe

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2013

Strengths:    Compact size, and long lasting durability

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike since 1996. It still runs like a champ. People thought I was nuts for paying so much for a bike back them. Looks like 17 years later i am the one laughing.

Submitted by tanner nicholson

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Weight is a huge pro to this bike

Weaknesses:    The seat is thin and uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
Believe it or not I got this bike for FREE! My friends dad gave it to me because my old bike was falling apart

Submitted by James W. Davis

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    The bike itself is great, the frame, great as well, and then you have the components, and you see the review I left, Nothing to Complain about, except the seats could have more cushion! That would be the only, and I mean only negative about this bike..Thanks

Weaknesses:    The only Weakness the bike has is the seat..That is it..Nothing else to knock on this bike..Outstanding..

Bottom Line:
The bike is as good as a 5 star hotel, Without the room service!

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Tallahassee florida united states

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    handles like it's a part of my body

Weaknesses:    shifting - it doesnt stop me from telling you this bike rocks !!

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is im a 53 year old rider and this bike handles so well that i would recomend it to anyone. the seat hurts me old arss but what can i complane about my cannondale f-500 cad-2? I payed a hundred dollars for it and 150 for two new tires and a tune up.( WINNING )

Favorite Trail:   monroe st.death trail

Purchased At:   south monroe pawn sh

Similar Products Used:   schwinn orange crate springer shock.haaaaa

Bike Setup:   headshock - standard stuff from what i have read in the reviews.

Submitted by Chretien a Cross Country Rider from Barcelona, Spain

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2008

Strengths:    Very stron and stiff frame. Have it for 10 years with original components, exept for couple of chain replacements en cables. Very light and easy to ride.

Weaknesses:    Although I still have all the original components on this bike, when biking nowadays, I feel coming short. RD is 8 speed, shifting is not as smooth as used to be, and pedals were not clipless.

Bottom Line:
Would recommend this bike (brand) to anyone. As a matter of fact, will get Cannondale Prophet this year. Green paint job is still on, even after more than 10 years of trail riding, communting, xc, lots of plane trips and having tossed an bike trail all over the world.

Favorite Trail:   Gava

Purchased At:   Mexico City (1997)

Similar Products Used:   Trek

Bike Setup:   All original

Submitted by Tim a Weekend Warrior from Lambertville, NJ

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame well built very durable. Also the component set at the time was very high quality.

Weaknesses:    I had the IRC Mythos XC, blackwall, 26 x 2.1” replaced with a specialized tire and I also reinforced the back wheel using an upgraded sun rim from about 2002. But the rim lasted 4 years so it was alright.

Bottom Line:
If you find a split pea green get it just make some adjustments and you'll have an awesome bike on your hands.

Favorite Trail:   Sourland Mountains

Rear Shock n/a
Rims Sun AT-18, 32 hole
Hubs Sachs Centera
Spokes DT Swiss stainless steel, 15 gauge
Tires IRC Mythos XC, blackwall, 26 x 2.1”
Pedals Wellgo LU-955-A w/aluminum cage
Headset CODA HeadShok
Brakeset TX-22 Side pull canti with LC-26 levers
Saddle CODA 500M
Seatpost Kalloy SP-263B
Colors Viper Red (RED), Split Pea (PEA)
Sizes S, M, L, X

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from Richmond Va.

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2004

Strengths:    one hell of a frame. Indy C still going strong

Weaknesses:    Little skimpy on the origional components

Bottom Line:
The frame and even the Indy C forks have lasted through everything I have thrown at it. Not a bad deal in '98 when i bought it and even though the only origional items on the bike are the frame and forks, this bike still kicks a**. I would by it all over again. Well worth the money!

Purchased At:   Agees Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   gary fisher

Bike Setup:   upgraded to xt 9 speed drive train, upgraded xt v-brakes, new bontrager rims, coda stem, crowbar handlebars and other mods

Submitted by Imran a Weekend Warrior from Augusta, GA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2003

Strengths:    All around great package, durable as hell

Weaknesses:    ....hmmm.......uhh......

Bottom Line:
the f500 is definitely one of the best damn bikes around...i've had it for over 4 years and have only had to replace parts because of wear and tear...a solid package, and a steal at $650...i would definitely recommend a Cannondale to anyone looking for an all around great package...they might seem a little steep at first but it's worth it in the long run!!! oh and definitely go clipless, the pedals my '98 came with didnt do justice to the rest of the bike

Favorite Trail:   modoc

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   new rear rim, bar ends, egg beaters, the rest standard

Submitted by jp a Weekend Warrior from maricopa,az usa

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    Frame, Frame Geometry, Price

Weaknesses:    Components

Bottom Line:
What a sweet deal this was. The first year this bike was introduced, it came thrlough with the fork for a whole lot less $ than the Head Shock. The fram is stiff and just great. It's got just enough acceleration and responsiveness for my needs. I use it on everything from the desert and rocks to the pine forests up north. However, the base compnentry that came with this was marginal. As each failed, I replaced them. I changed the brakes to LX V-brakes, added bar ends, put on a suspension seatpost, had to replace the headset, trashed the pedals for Ritchie Clipless, and when the Grip Shift died, replaced the 7 speed for an 8 speed cog and added Deore shifters and rear derailers. The original seat was really bad, so that too has been replaced. Got a new chain whane I changed the cog. Anxiously await the next upgrade. However, considering the purchase price and what I've done, I've got an awfully good hardtail for under $1000 total. And since a lot of the upgrades really were due to things that wear out no matter how good they are, I've really got no qualms. If you can find one of these bikes used, I'd grab it in a heartbeat!

Similar Products Used:   Treh 850, Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Indy C Fork instead of Head Shock, else stock.

Submitted by Troy a Weekend Warrior from Nebraska

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2001

Strengths:    Real smooth ride, especially downhills. Gets going at a pretty decent clip. Durable frame that is pretty light (26 lbs). Head shock is great.

Weaknesses:    Seat is very uncomfortable...that was the first thing I had to replace. Grip shifters tend to shift by themselves at times, this is an easy fix with a tune up, but it is still annoying

Bottom Line:
I love the bike. Good on pavement or off road. Brakes can stop on a dime. An overall mint ride.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone

Similar Products Used:   Some kind of Gary Fisher

Bike Setup:   odometer, water bottle carrier, head/tail lights. Everything else is standard.

Submitted by Patrick Kryzsko a Weekend Warrior from Overland

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2000

Strengths:    Frame weight

Weaknesses:    Nothing major yet, makes little cracking sounds when I turn the handlebars

Bottom Line:
So far I'm very pleased with this small frame Cad 2, F500. Bought it used last month and I'm not really sure of it's age. No problem, this bike has been great so far. For the $$ I spent on this bike, I couldn't have asked for more. If anyone knows what year Cannondale made a Cad 2, F500 w/killer V frame, please let me know.

Favorite Trail:   None yet

Similar Products Used:   Giant Sedon; Jamis Exile; Marin Bear Woods

Bike Setup:   STX rear deraleur; XT front and rear brakes; grip shift

Submitted by david a Cross-Country Rider from coquitlam, b.c.

Date Reviewed: August 8, 1999

Strengths:
great frame, love the shock, replaceable dropout.

Weaknesses:
cheap components,crummy bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
my previous bike was stolen so I bought the f500 it was highly recommended to me.I blewout the bottom bracket in one month.Shimano recalled the crankset(alivio) so I bought a new one while waiting for the replacement.As I weight over 200lb.I decided to upgrade it. I love the bike and have put many miles on it. If I could change anything I wish I had the cad 2 or 3 frame but maybe next time.

alice lake

more than 3 years

upgraded headshock,new bottom bracket,new crankset,v-brakes,just put on esp9.0 sl

Submitted by S. T. a Cross-Country Rider from Boston MA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 1999

Strengths:
Light, fast, all around good

Weaknesses:
front derailleur (or BB, or crankset, CODA 200) Can't adjust it without it either jumping off the lower chainring or sticking in the middle ring, also I snapped the chain after 6 months of riding, wish it came with barends

Bottom Line:
Whoever said it looks good in viper red, damn straight. Wish I had some money so I could upgrade to at least Deore LX for 27 speeds, but the stx rc stuff works well. It would be nice if this model year came with clipless pedals also(I know the 99's do) All in all a sweet bike for the money.

2 Years

Gt tequesta with rock shox judy of somesort(was happy with that, but it got stolen)

STX-rc all around, except for crank, and I have no idea about the BB, and I added coda barends (to complete the look)

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Cottswalds, England

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1999

Strengths:
Light- weight frame
Handling

Weaknesses:
Poor gear components
Heavy seat post

Bottom Line:
After purchasing the 98 Cannondale at a super discount price, I have to say I was pretty dissapointed with the gear components, the sach rear mech is the worst I have ever seen on any bike, there is so much flex in it its a wonder is manages to keep it in any gear for more than a few seconds.Needless to say this was soon replaced with the XT deore mech of my old GT and this has done the trick. The SACH Wavey shifters still seem pretty stiff, but I am hoping that they will loosen up after use.The handling and climbing abilities of this bike are excellent, definitly recommended (so long as you dont mind the odd upgrade)

less than 1 month

Rocky Mountain - Oxygen Race
Klien alttitude comp

Upgraded rear mech to XT deore. Replaced seat

Submitted by Jay G a Cross-Country Rider from Adams Co, OH

Date Reviewed: April 5, 1999

Strengths:
-Killer Frame
-Sweet shock: especially with upgrade
-Climbs like a Mt.goat

Weaknesses:
Stock componentry isn't top of the line, but what can you expect for the price.

Bottom Line:
Kickin' ride: fast and maneuverable on the downhills and climbs like a goat. I'm tired of hearing all you wenies complaining about the components. If you know anything about riding, you should know you shred the components every year or so anyway, no matter where they stand on the line.

Snowshoe, WVa

6 months

Trek carbon fiber and KHS chromoly

Upgraded to clipless peds,new bar and some ends, new saddle

"What's this bike worth?" (F500 with xtras)

Sorry these pics are so terrible. I'm usually a stickler for photography but I was in a dark room with an iPhone. Shimano Deore XT crankset, rear,............expert handlebars, few other goodies. Looking to buy it locally and need an estimate of it's value so I know what to offer. Throw me som ... Read More »