Cannondale F2 Caffeine XC Hardtail

• Frame: Caffeine
  • Fork: Lefty Speed DLR2, 110 mm
  • Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
  • Spokes: DT Swiss Champion
  • Tires: CST Caballero, 26 x 2.1"
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M520
  • Crank: FSA V-Drive MegaExo
  • Chain: Shimano 9-speed
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA V-Drive MegaExo
  • Handlebars: FSA XC-281AOS, 25 mm rise
  • Stem: Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 31.8 mm

Submitted by dazzle a Cross Country Rider from Malacca, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Uphill & downhill is good....
Bike weight is light ...(10.3kg)
Lefty work perfect during....off-road cycling..

Bottom Line:
The best Hardtail bike.....

Purchased At:   SBH

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F2 Lefty - Team Replica Frame.
Stock except for:
Wheelset - Mavic Crosstrail lefty
Crankset - FSA K-FORCE LIGHT TRIPLE MEGAEXO
Tire - Maxxis Maxxlite310
Tube - Maxxis flyweight tube
Handle bar - K-FORCE LOW RISER

Submitted by asmallsol a Racer from Livonia, MI

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    First off, let me start by saying, I'm reviewing the 2008 bike (you can't give a full review the day after buying it, right?) The bike is speced with race quality parts that aren't made of glass, meaning they can be abused. Bike is pretty light for the money.

Weaknesses:    The plastic Quick Release Seat Collar is worthless. Even after tightening the heck out of the allen screw before pushing down the quick release, after ~ 10 miles of trails, my post will slip up to 2cm. This is the only reason I knocked a star off.

Another little beef I had about this bike is the fact they speced it with crank brother smartie pedals instead of the more race oriented Crank brother's Egg betters. This is a race bike after all.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden the bike now for about a year, and overall, its a great bike. Light enough for racing, but tough enough to be slightly abused. For the money, its a great product. Pick up a standard metal seat collar, and you can ride the heck out of this bike.

Favorite Trail:   MTU's Tech Trails

Purchased At:   Trails Edge Plymouth

Similar Products Used:   Everything.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for egg beater pedals.

Submitted by YungLefty a Weekend Warrior from Northcoast

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2008

Strengths:    Quick steering, Lefty fork works taking bumps away.Shimano LX brakes and shifter

Weaknesses:    Lefty can be heavy

Bottom Line:
Purchased on Ebay a 2007 closeout floor model. Paid $750. I got a great deal on this bike. Wanted Cannondale with a Lefty fork for a long time, but never worked with the F700. But this bike is worth the wait. Quick on the trail and the Lefty fork is awesome. It is capable of soaking up small bumps and large ones on the trail with equal ease. Shimano LX shifter and hydro brakes works fine. Wheels are performing ok, probably will be upgraded in the future. I am 5'6" tall with long torso and short legs. The frame is a small, stand over length is perfect but the cockpit felt a bit cramped. I swapped out the stock stem(100mm) to a 150mm one and inverted. The fit is much better. Seat post was at the manimum length and felt a bit short. Possibly I need to purchase a new seatpost with a longer length. Will follow up with an update in the weeks to come.

Favorite Trail:   Hammond

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   F700, Super v

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock except lightweight saddle. Avid cable thing Time Atac pedals. Deletion of front derailleur and shifter.Sycros handlebar, Ringle rear Twister skewer.

Submitted by Serlab a Weekend Warrior from Quebec

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2008

Strengths:    Light and fast. The lefty is amazing.

Weaknesses:    Handle bar too wide, saddle not comfy for long ride, tires not good in muddy condition, the rear cables are not all fully cover, and the color is too flashy, but I am being picky.

Bottom Line:
After testing and riding many bikes, I choose this one and do not regret it. I spend way more time riding it than my previous Kona Kula.

Favorite Trail:   Vermont

Purchased At:   Montreal North

Bike Setup:   So far I only change the Maxxis Ridgeline tire for Kenda Nevegal 2.1 Fr and 1.95 back and the seat for a Tioga Spyder.

Submitted by bubuli a Weekend Warrior from Monroe NJ

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Great Ride.
Cool-looking.
Lefty is awesome.
Stock components are good.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Yes, we're in the era where people would push you to buy a FS 26-incher. To buy a decent FS 26-incher you need to blow around 2K. Consider your biking habits: Do you really need an FS? I say buy a real nice HT than get a okay FS. CDale Caffeines are REALLY NICE HTs.

With the F2, the stock components are good enough not warranting an upgrade...except maybe for the pedals depending on what you're used to.

The handlebar IS wider than most bikes i tried...it's usually recommended to cut off at least half-an-inch from each end...but I would recommend to try first before cutting...and I am glad I did not cut right away because I prefer the handle bar the way it is; it is much more maneuverable in technical trails.

Purchased At:   Halter's Cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano XT clipless pedals

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Maple Grove, MN USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2007

Strengths:    Light, nimble, and climbs like a goat on crack. This is my first brand new bike and my first Lefty, and I think it's amazing. Plenty of travel, tracks perfectly. Can be a little rough on the big rock gardens, but I like the challenge. I can't recommend this bike enough.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars were waaaay too wide, but it wasn't a problem to cut them down.

Bottom Line:
This was such a step up from my old bike, sometimes I don't even know how I got around on that thing. If you like hardtails, get this bike. If you don't like hardtails, get this bike and give it to someone who does.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Ana River Trail

Purchased At:   Black Mountain Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   98 Cannondale F500, 92 Specialized Stumpjumper stiff bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from St Kilda, VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2007

Strengths:    The first time I rode this bike I was in love. Having only ridden full suss in the past, the Caffeine blew me away. It almost felt like it was pedalling for me. Light, super sharp handling on the single track, the Caffeine improved my skill and endurance by 25% (if that makes any sense). I am certainly no pro, but was now able to keep up with much better riders in the climbs. It really does make that much difference. I took my full suss (prophet 1000) out a while ago and it seriously felt like it had square wheels and flat tyres. The bike is still stock. I planned to upgrade parts, but honestly it all works so well that theres just no need. Finish on the frame is superb and the bike looks as sharp as it rides. My second lefty, but this ones got lockout which I find pretty handy on the really flat stuff.

Weaknesses:    None. Make sure you get a feel for the hardtail before you ride flat stick down your favourite trails. I found out the hard way (within 100m) that they're nowhere near as forgiving as a full susser on the way down. That said, when your skills improves they are even more fun.

Bottom Line:
If you ride single track, there is no other option. Caffeine is for you. They may be pricey for what you get, but they just handle and pedal so sweet. Brings a permanent smile to my face just thinking about it. The best fun I've had riding....ever!

Purchased At:   Ivanhoe Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Prophet (yes I'm a 'dale fan). Still love it but the Caffeine is the number one son.

Bike Setup:   Stock. XT rear, LX front and LX brakes.

Submitted by pmt011 a Cross Country Rider from Florida

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike, this is my third cannondale (I think I have a Fleet now) and I am as happy with it as I could be. Very light and stiff with good braking and suspension. This is my first experience with a lefty fork, but its done surprisingly well and I have no complaints about it. Absolutely a great ride, expensive, but you get what you pay for. Its break in trial was a 150 mile charity bike ride, handled great and even outran a few roadies with it.

Bottom Line:
If you don't have one, you need one.