Cannondale F1000 XC Hardtail

• Hubs: Cannondale Lefty front, Fire Disc rear
  • Spokes: DT Champion

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2006

Strengths:    2006 F1000 White Furio frame - stiff and lightweight frame, lifetime frame warranty for original purchaser, good part selection, cannondales testing on frames and continual progression in frame building, handles great, climbs fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Standard brake setup - AVID juicy 7 levers and discs - very very overated product that in fact have far less breaking abilities than a basic lx pad setup. Sure they look good and have the x factor look but are useless.

Bottom Line:
CANNONDALE make a great lightweight frame no question about it. I raced and used my F900 almost every weekend for years and never had one problem. All frames break if abused and the old term "crakenfail" is really getting old. A lifetime frame warranty is there to cover original owner if something does go amiss.

When your riding and you see all the giants, gts, and specialised that are mass produced, its great to be on a hand made in the good ol USA CANNONDALE.

After owning 3 cannondales i would never really even look at buying a different brand bike. The only ones who dont like CANNONDALES are the ones who cant afford them and thats why they are riding asian produced giants and gts.

Favorite Trail:   Oaks Fire Trail

Similar Products Used:   98 F900 - CROSSMAX, XT, XTR, TARANTULA CRANKS,

Bike Setup:   2006 furio frame, lefty speed dlr, mavic crossland ust, maxxis ignitor lust ust, fsa megaexo crank, x.o gripshifters, avid juicy 7 brakes, fizzik nisene sport 2 saddle, shimano 520 pedals, x9 rear der, xt front der, fsa xc281 riser handlebar.

Submitted by gerry a Cross Country Rider from waitsfield,vt usa

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2006

Strengths:    Made in USA Handling, climbing and acceleration. Tracks better than anything I've ridden and the frame is a nice balance between stiffness and all day comfort. Made in USA

Weaknesses:    wide bars and Sram rapidfires I'm a gripshift guy. I like to cross chain on the big ring

Bottom Line:
Great ride, very dependable, I have ridden lots of wet singletrack this year and the Avid disc brakes have been a godsend. A bit noisy at times quiet at others. The Lefty shock performs smoothly, rarely bottoms out and has a very easy lockout. Its hard to decide if I like the climbing more than the descending. I bought it on reputation and country of origin. Could not be more pleased with over 200 hours of riding on it.

Favorite Trail:   Cyclone

Purchased At:   ski rack

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Privateer

Bike Setup:   Chris King Hub on rear

Submitted by Jimmy Chan a Cross Country Rider from South Coogee, New South Wales, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    Nice frame & geometry! The specifications are mostly good. Colour scheme of black & gold looks great. Weight and handling is fantastic when compared to more expensive bikes.

Weaknesses:    The Lefty DLR2 fork on this bike has been a disaster for Cannondale. Over the year that I've owned it I have had the fork replaced three times. All this was done at Cannondale's expense. Problems were due to regular and unexpected air loss. The cause is related directly to poor seal and piston design.

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the price paid! As with my other Cannondales this is one of the best looking rides out there until a new one comes out. I only wished that Cannondale got their act together before releasing the DLR2 with its associated problems. I know of other riders who have experienced the same fault with their bikes. It is frustrating to be out on the tracks and then suffer a major air loss. The third DLR2 fork seems to be working but for how long?

Favorite Trail:   Oaks Fire Trail

Purchased At:   Inner City Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F900SX (2000 model) & B900 (1996 model)

Bike Setup:   All original equipment has been kept but this may change shortly as the bike is due for a major refit.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Peoria, IL USA

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2005

Strengths:    Very stiff and responsive bike. I especially like the way this bike climbs. Love the Lefty fork...much better lateral stiffness than the RokShok I had to use on my last Cannondale after I destroyed the original HeadShok. I used RaceFace cranks on my old bike (and swear by them) but the Tru-Vativ cranks have performed very well so far and I have no complaints. Brakes are very good on this bike and I've had no problems. I love the Sram shifters and derailer...best stuff I've used yet. I was also happy to see a pretty decent saddle on this bike. Suffice it to say, this bike is pretty much the complete package for a xc rider and is ready to go right out of the box. Upgrades for this bike can be kept to a minimum. Plus it's made in the USA, which is important as far as I'm concerned.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the high side price-wise but I was willing to pay the extra for a handmade USA built bike. The handle bars are a bit wide for me but that's nothing a hacksaw can't fix.

Bottom Line:
If you've got the money and ride pretty consistently, I highly recommend giving this bike a try. This bike is fun, easy to ride and rock solid.

Favorite Trail:   Plank Trail

Purchased At:   Russell's Cycle & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F400 and Cannondale F600(rode for 10 yrs on this bike...hard, and it never let me down!)

Submitted by Alfred Kjellman a Cross Country Rider from Jakobstad, Finland, Europe

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2005

Strengths:    Very fast ride. The F1000 feels faster and more rigid every time I take it out for a ride. The XL frame (I´m 6'7" tall, 190 lb) is a wonderfull creation from Cannondale. Also the Lefty is something I dig deeply after I learned how to adjust it and how much preaseure (I use approx. 6 bar)that fit my riding style.

Weaknesses:    The rear Magura Louise brake feels a lite bit shaky when I´m braking att high speeds. The damper leaked a lite bit in the beginning until i found out that the lockout cover wasn´t fastened enough. Crashed one eggbeater pedal after hitting a rock, even tough the eggbeater pedals are real mtb pedals and i like their function.

Bottom Line:
Quick and fast hardtail that can take a whole lot of beating.

Favorite Trail:   pörkenässkogen

Purchased At:   Pyörä Suvala, Oulu

Similar Products Used:   First Cannondale owned, absolutely not the last one...

Bike Setup:   All OEM except FSA K-force carbon flatbar and Sram X.0 twist shifters, this setup feels alot faster. Next upgrade will be a carbon seatpost, probably canondale wind.

Submitted by Roy Langman a Cross Country Rider from Hobart, Tasmania

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    This is a follow up review of my first review. Nothing has really changed in my opinion of this bike. The Frame is solid, very responsive and direct. A very capable hardtail indeed.

Weaknesses:    The Lefty DLR2 blew a seal in the air chamber but Cannondale fixed this ASAP - they have a new double seal that does the trick. The rear high roller stuck like glue then simply wore out! too soft for an everyday tire. The 2.4 high Roller is better suited to mud - I used it in a very wet x country race nad it was pretty cool. I have replaced the Cannondale Fire rear hub with a DT Swiss 340 - nice unit. a Thompson set back post & OURY grips. Now running a Phython front & Bulldog rear tyre.

Bottom Line:
Better than last time, it has coped more abuse than an xc racer might normally get and shone through. If you can't bear the thought of a squishy ride, go get one of these, you will not be at all dissapointed.

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Cyclingo

Similar Products Used:   Never had a Canondale - will look at one for the next toy!

Bike Setup:   original plus DT 340 hub, thompson setback post, selle OX seat, OURY grips, flipped stem, 30mm less bar each side, python lite front, Bulldog rear, few more scratches than before. Lots of smiles!!!!!!!

Submitted by Heath Aufenkamp a Cross Country Rider from Omaha, Ne, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2005

Strengths:    The Avid Juicy 7 and the truvativ crank a big plus, love the mavic ust wheel set. sram components top notch.

Weaknesses:    only the rider

Bottom Line:
I work for a bike shop and got a smokin deal on my f1000. I love this bike and recomend it to anybody wanting a great entry level racer, that can stand up to any punishment you throw at it. I ride alot of trails and some city/downtown riding hucking off 5 and 6 stair gaps no problem. The lefty fork is where its at as far as forks go and the juicy 7's I can't stop talking about. I was suprise as many were when cannondale went to the furio frame for the 1000 series but I've been nothing but impressed with the stiffness it provides. Get yours today

Favorite Trail:   Lewis and Clark Monument

Purchased At:   Bike Rack

Similar Products Used:   most trek full sus.

Bike Setup:   Sram X-9 shifters, xt front der. X-0 rear der. WTB pure v saddle. yeti grips. huttichson spyders tires. hollow pin chain(sram mtb), shimano 959 clipless pedals. Easton carbon seat post. spec pro comp.

Submitted by Ben Grieve-Johnson a Racer from Hobart, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    Great handing, super stiff set-up. The frame, forks, cranks and oversize bars all add heaps of stiffness. The brakes (avid juicy 7s) and sram all round

Weaknesses:    none, except maybe the stock maxxs tyres-they're a little heavy and soft for xc riding.

Bottom Line:
This bike rules. Nobody should bag the lefty before trying-it may be unconventional but it is way stiffer than other XC suspension and has 110 mm of super sweet travel- I could never go back to SIDs or Skarebs. The handling of this bike compared to my previous bikes (whose frames were made in Taiwan jobs), is awsome-it stays balanced and handles technical descending with ease, whilst I'm also climbing technical trails that I've never made before.What more can one ask of a bike?