Breezer Lightning Team XC Hardtail

A skillfully designed and well-made steel hardtail - available as a frameset. Build it into the bike of your dreams.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2014

Strengths:    Lively steel frame, short chainstays, roomy cockpit, great handling, beautiful paint job, great pedigree

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I have always wanted a Breezer Lightning, since way back when they first came out. When I found out Breezer was making them again, I had to have one. There were very few reviews online about the bike, so I was a little nervous about ordering one without riding it first. Figured worst cases, if it rode poorly, I could hang the frame on the wall as art. Well, unsurprisingly the bike rides awesome. The frame feels lively but not flexy. It corners intuitively and rails around corners once leaned over. With the steep angles, the bike drops in fast and it stays there, doesn't wander or feel like it wants to push the front. It climbs like a mtn goat in or out of the saddle, no front wheel flop or spinning out the rear. It just climbs. And the short stays makes getting over an obstacle a breeze. At 6'-1", I went with 19.5", the fit is spot on, nice roomy cockpit for my long arms. The parts kit on the bike is good, the Shimano stuffs works well, the SLX,brakes while not super powerful are good enough and quiet (unlike my avids on my bikes) The Reba fork does its job, supple on the small stuff while still having enough compression damping to soak up some what bigger hits. The only think I have added it is a chainstay protector. A XT clutch derailleur would be a nice upgrade from the stock XT if I go 1x10

The bike has done everything I have asked of it. And has done it well and with style.

Similar Products Used:   Ted Wojcik Custom, On One Inbred SS.

Bike Setup:   Factory Specs

Submitted by 29erdownunder a Racer from Melbourne Australia

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2011

Strengths:    Finish, Paint Job, hydroformed tubeset, Chainstay mounted disc tab, ride feel, geometry, handling, Designed by the nicest guy in mountain biking

Weaknesses:    I didn't find out about it sooner! Maybe it could use a replaceable derailleur hanger?

Bottom Line:
This is by far the nicest hardtail I've ever ridden. It's handling is intuitive and inspires confidence. Most hardtails I've ridden usually have some weakness that you end up just compensating for, maybe in the way they turn in or get sketchy at speed or wander on climbs. I haven't found any of those traits with this one. It just goes where you want it to. And it's such an outstanding value for the money, with better trail manners than many more expensive alternatives. And that picture of Mt. Tam on the head tube badge is pretty cool too. Thanks for bringing back the Ligntning Team frame with such style Joe.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho, Fairfax

Purchased At:   Velo Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ventana el Habanero, el Fuego, el Saltamontes, Pantera, Marble Peak, Niner EMD, Fisher Ferrous

Bike Setup:   Hope Mono Mini's, Hope Evo Pro 2/Stan's Crest Wheelset, Schwalbe Nobby Nic's, Manitou R7, SRAM XO, FSA SL-K Carbon Cranks, Ritchey WCS Livery

Breezer Lightning Team Steel

[URL]http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10052_10053_546016_-1_catNav[/URL] Anyone have any opinions about or experience with this frame? It is tempting me. Near as I can figure, it is a 2010.Read More »

Breezer Lightning 29 Team

I'm really interested in this frame. I like the styling (seat stays/head set), and I love the feel of steel. Very Ritchey P-29-like. Also, reasonably affordable. And it's a Breezer. However, there are ride reviews on this frame. Has anybody had some saddle time on this bike? And could you giv ... Read More »