Banshee Bikes Viento XC Hardtail

4.76/5 (17 Reviews)

The new Banshee Viento is the ultimate versatile all mountain hardtail. Constructed with new custom lightweight ½ RAD tube set, the Viento’s chassis is light and solid for blasting through rocky sections and exclusive internally ribbed seat and chain stays deliver the power to the ground with authority.

Submitted by dleal a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2012

Strengths:    Agility, stiffness, stability, speed.

Weaknesses:    Lighter front end on the uphills.

Bottom Line:
I'm easing into this bike - so far the only disappointment is that it leaves no room for excuses. It goes where I point it, I'm taking lines I wouldn't have before, and it wants me to sprint. It's really fun to ride & provides a solid transfer of power from pedals to the dirt. It makes me happy and looks pretty good too.

Favorite Trail:   redwood park - west ridge

Purchased At:   rbike

Bike Setup:   reba sl, xtr rear, slx front, elixir 5, gripshift attacks

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    rock solid

Weaknesses:    paint job is $hitty

Bottom Line:
have reviewed this bike before but wanted to write one more cause i weight 250lbs and have beat on this thing and it's still going strong. wish the original paint wouldn't have chipped so fast because it was a beautiful frame with a bought it with the black chrome color but oh well it's all go and no show otherwise it gets 5 chilis

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, really stiff, great details in every way, lightweight for what it is and for the purpose it is built for.

Weaknesses:    -a bit pricey (I bought mine second-hand)
-I would have preferred a 3-4º difference between seatpost and headset angles. Too much "effective top tube" effect.

Bottom Line:
It is built for something more on the Trail/All Mountain side... This is not the typical XC frame. It reminds me in some way the Santacruz Chameleon, although this frame takes full advantage of the cockpit space and minimizes the rest, thanks to the extra large (a bit exagerated) effective top tube measure. axle to axle distance is minimal at the same time, so this bike has much to do with catwalks (wheelies), little jumps but aggresive XC climbing ability as well.

I am keeping it forever.

Favorite Trail:   secret trail

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   nothing like this -there is nothing like this

Bike Setup:   Sektor u-turn fork, SLX/Saint drivetrain, supra wheels w/novatec hubs, kenda tires

Submitted by JayneEm a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Responsive and tough. Feels like a mini DH bike on the corners, but also climbs like a light weight XC bike.

Weaknesses:    Could be a bit stiff for longer enduro rides.

Bottom Line:
The maiden voyage of the Viento was very enjoyable! It was stiff on the rear, so any small lips or jumps it easily launched. Landings were not as rough as I expected (being a hardtail). Cornering it felt like a DH bike. I don’t have wide bars on it, but it just felt great and tracked well on the corners. Could be the length of the bike and the rake of the forks I’m not sure.
It climbed surprisingly well. I’m used to riding carbon XC bikes, and I thought this may impact on its climbing ability. But when I cranked the pedals over it immediately responded and took off.

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek

Purchased At:   Barspin Imports - ht

Similar Products Used:   Scott Scale 20

Bike Setup:   The running gear is all SRAM X0 with the Avid/SRAM X0 brakes. I’ve got Fox 120mm forks and DT Swiss rims and Hope hubs.

Submitted by jonny mischief a Racer from london england

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2010

Strengths:    super stiff, tough, confidence inspiring hardtail. a real weapon in the right hands

Weaknesses:    front mech cable stop points in the wrong direction for shimano xt. still works ok, but looks a bit suspect.

Bottom Line:
great frame. mine set up for all day epics on the surrey hills, unwind the u-turn for welsh rocky downhills. i went a size smaller and run a medium (6ft tall rider) for a super chuckable ride, can still hit up the dirtjumps on the way home. the ultimate all rounder.

Favorite Trail:   pila world cup downhill

Purchased At:   freeborn esher

Similar Products Used:   stumpjumper m4 / m5, cotic soda, orange e3, pace rc100, santa cruz chameleon

Bike Setup:   pike air uturn 20mm thru, xt all round, bontrager rythm wheels. elixar brakes thomson easton ea30

Submitted by Moodrid a Cross Country Rider from Ft Worth Texas USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Perfect geometry,built tuff,climbs GREAT front and rear wheels stay glued to the trail,absorbs hits great for a hardtail,handles corners good,good looking.

Weaknesses:    I got the mercury finish and it looks really good but it does chip easy.But thats the only thing I have found and that is the same on a lot of bikes.

Bottom Line:
I am very happy with it and would buy it again.I contacted Banshee about the size and got great service help.

Favorite Trail:   Sansom Park

Purchased At:   Bike Bling

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo,Trek 4500.

Bike Setup:   x7 shifters and rear derailuer,Deore LX cranks.WTB wheelset FOX vanilla RL 100mm.

Submitted by mike_d_1583 a Racer from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent construction, great attention to detail, welds are awesome. Love the S-bend seatstays. I run 2.35 tires and still have plenty of room. Dropouts are extra strong. Holds a straight line like no other and climbs like a beast.

Weaknesses:    none really except the cable guide for the front derailleur is pointed in an odd way, but this has no effect on performance. Seatpost diameter is misprinted on the website but they include a quality seatpost.

Bottom Line:
Had this bike a week, and already put about 100 miles on it. 50 on and 50 off road. This bikes corners like crazy, just point it where you want to go and it follows. I noticed it's easier to wheelie and straight line ride because it's so balanced. It was ready to build up out of the box, no need to face the BB, just some grease. This frame enabled me to finally climb a huge hill, (on platform pedals) that I couldn't do on my Hardrock. It's a climbing machine, and that's with my AM setup weighing in at 32lbs. I'm sure I could get it down to 24 with a lighter fork and lighter wheels. The paint job is sick, I got the black anodized and no chips or scratches yet, maybe the other guy shouldn't "throw" it in the trunk and respect it. If you can afford it, BUY IT!!! No regrets!

Favorite Trail:   Tower Park

DMR V12 Mag white pedals
Avid BB7 185mm front & rear

Submitted by snowdrifter a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    All around, great frame, looks great (see weakness) ride great. So far as other reviews it seems strong.

Weaknesses:    paint job (I have the black chrome) chips very easily.

Bottom Line:
for the price it's a great buy and I'd highly recommend it but you have to be careful for the paint job. Wish I'd known how easy the paint chipped before I tossed it in the trunk. By comparison my Intense 6.6 has been knocked around 10X more and is barely scratched.

Favorite Trail:   Local Trail - Demo Forest

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar LE, American ELF

Bike Setup:   XTR and a Rock Shox Pike...

Submitted by Dazed a Weekend Warrior from Eastern Norway

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2009

Strengths:    Good price, very stiff frame, tracks very good, great paint job, solid and reasonably light. Good clearance everywhere, and all threads/faces were good straight out of the box. Nice susprise that it comes with a seatpost. Ample tire clearence.

Weaknesses:    None yet. It's a pretty basic hardtail design, so there's not much to do wrong. The only thing is that I can't understand why the right chainstay isn't painted.

Bottom Line:
I wanted an "XC" bike with a slightly less agressive geometry and riding position than an ordinary racing hardtail, and I needed a stiff and durable bike for a 220 pound rider. This is spot on! Great bike! And VERY versatile. This is one "do it all" bike. Takes me back to the time when there were no "subcategories" to "mountain bikes", and a "mountain bike" was just a bike for riding off road that you could take absolutely anywhere. The Viento is such a bike. I couldn't be happier.

Purchased At:   Somar Sport

Similar Products Used:   Assorted "norba geometry" XC frames and FS trail bikes, but nothing quite like this.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Reba @115mm, XT M775 hubs, DT Revolution spokes w/alum. nipples, Mavic XC717 Disc rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.25" tires, Thomson Elite stem and seatpost,
Syntace VRO Ecoriser bars, Selle Italia SLR XC saddle, XT 770 derailleurs and shifters, Formula Oro K18 180/160 brakes, SLX triple crankset, XT 770 cassette, XTR Chain, FSA Orbit XL-II headset and Shimano PD-M540 pedals.

Submitted by willem3 a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Stiff, strong very high quality frame. Superb finish (anodized Black in my case). The Geometry allows for a longer travel fork (130mm in my case). Rides like a dream...truly point and shoot... Great climber...and superb on the downhill...Not the lightest XC frame, but it is more of an All Mountain Hardtail. I don't miss my full suspension one bit.

Weaknesses:    None thus far....If it were lighter, it would not be as strong...

Bottom Line:
Bullet Proof...Point and shoot...Superb!

Favorite Trail:   Flagline

Purchased At:   LBS - Sagebrush Cycl

Similar Products Used:   Ventana Frames, Jamis, etc....

Bike Setup:   Banshee Viento Frame Size Medium - Black Anodized Finished
2008 Shimano XT Wheelset with Maxxis Ignitor 2.35 UST Tires
2007 Shimano XT Cranks with 2008 Chainrings
XTR Front
XT Shadow Rear
XT Brakes + Levers (2008)
XT Rapid Fire Shifters (2008)
Chris King Headset
Raceface Carbon Riser Bar
SRAM 991 Chain

Submitted by braider33 a Cross Country Rider from Clarksville, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Strengths:    Heavy duty welds and strong aluminum frame. Total weight w/pedals under 27lbs.

Weaknesses:    I haven't experienced any problems so far.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. When hitting the local shops for what they considered a "high end" hardtail, I just didn't find something that caught my eye. I knew I wanted something other than what everyone else might be riding. Read about Banshee and checked out their site. I contacted the guys at Rbikes and was pumped after getting off the phone with them. They sell every color offered by Banshee and even upgraded a few compenants at no additional cost. This is a strong frame that has handled everything I've thrown at it so far (to include snow/ice covered trails in OH two weeks ago). At 6'3", 215lbs, I'm not too worried about weight but I do feel like this is a "light" bike. I'm pretty sure this thing will hold up for anyone looking for a solid XC hardtail.

Purchased At:   rbikes

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500

Bike Setup:   X.9 build kit with RockShox Recon Race fork.

Submitted by tpm7 a Weekend Warrior from Camlachie, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    The welds on the frame are strong and the bike is built to be ridden. Light at only 4.3lbs this bike is an awesome choice for all mountain riding and can accommodate a wide range of fork sizes. It climbs amazingly well with a 140mm fork on the front. Built and rides solid.

Weaknesses:    The paint scratches on rocks ;)

But seriously, the only weakness I can find is the angle of the cable stop on the seat tube for the front dérailleur, which is angled to the non-drive side of the frame. If your FD pulls from the drive side, the cable will look wonky coming out of the cable stop, but otherwise perform with no issues whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
Overall this product is by far the best frame I have ever ridden - bar none. If you're looking for a light yet strong All Mountain Oriented frame, this is a frame to seriously consider.

Favorite Trail:   3 Stage

Cane Creek S-8 Headset
Sun Rims DS-1 XC

Submitted by KM_Behrens a Weekend Warrior from Lazo

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2008

Strengths:    absolutely beautiful frame! stiff, light and strong. Banshee bikes returns phone calls and emails quite quickly. Banshees website and blogs offer plenty of information for someone searching to purchase one of their bikes. Like the Viento is advertised, it does soften small trail vibrations. climbs like a goat on speed and descends even better.

Weaknesses:    Nit-picking here: the rear brake mounts only fit certain types of i.s. calipers. ie: my magura marta i.s. caliper wouldn't fit. I had to buy a post-mount caliper with an i.s. adapter. also, their website can be a little suspect. It is a good site for information but some of it is wrong. ie: the seatpost size was incorrectly printed in their bike geometry section (but they do ship their frames with correct seatpost binders and seatposts which I had no idea they did)

Bottom Line:
I couldn`t stop smiling and laughing the first time a rode the Viento. It was so fun! Unbelievable stiffness in the frame.
but here is the rub-Either buy the bike as a complete bike or buy the frame, THEN buy the components to fit! do NOT do what I did and buy the components first based on information from Banshees' and other websites. it will only compicate matters.
I give it 5 chilis for value even though it was $700.00 for the frame only, but it is completely worth it.
5 chilis for an overall rating despite the sketchy info on banshees' website.
this is a frame for someone who still loves the feel of a hardtail. You cannot accelerate and hammer on a full-suss like you can on a hardtail. Those who know, know. Buy it if your trails consist of smooth flowy singletrack.
I would stay away from this frame if you live in a place with lots of roots and big rocks, a full-sus will perform better on that kind of trail.
If you are in the market for a sweet, stiff, light-weight hardtail frame that can you can race on in the morning and then fly down the local trails in the afternoon then I encourage you to find a dealer that will let you try this bike out. you will not be disappointed!
Bottom line-you will fly down the trails on this bike and wonder why you waited this long to have a bike like this!

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.xom

Similar Products Used:   cove stiffee set-up as an all-mountain bike. honestly I don't even think I can compare the Cove to my Banshee. The stiffness of the Banshee frame makes my Cove frame feel like a wet noodle.

Bike Setup:   set-up for more trail/ all-mountain riding.
426 revelation air u-turn, magara marta brakes, sram x.9 derailleurs and thumb shifters, sram cassette, race face atlas crankset and mavix xm819 ust.wheelset w/ xt hubs.

Submitted by Karl a Cross Country Rider from Las Vegas, Nevada

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Perfect geometry, excellent craftsmanship, best riding hardtail I have ridden

Bottom Line:
This is the best hardtail I have ever ridden. The curved seatstays perform as promised to reduce abuse from rear wheel obstacle impact. The frame is bomb proof but not insanely heavy, with the right components it can easily be a race bike. The geometry is perfect for all day rides or cross county races. Lastly, and not as important but still impressive, the mercury finish is sexy.

Favorite Trail:   Cowboy Trails