Airborne Lancaster XC Hardtail

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 3.25 MSRP : $899.00

• Size specific 3Al / 2.5V seamless titanium tubing
  • Optimal size specific tubing (Larger diameter tubing used on larger size frames)
  • Extended seat tube increases stand over height while creating a smaller and stiffer front triangle

Submitted by Bruno Abreu a Cross Country Rider from São Paulo , São Paulo, Brazil

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2007

Strengths:    - Awesome geometry (I always loved bikes that leave you streched, ready to climb hard as hell. This bike is for people who really wanna do it´s best and pedal as hard as you can, its not suited for people who just do Sunday straws...)
- The feel of Titanium!
- The strenght of Titanium!
- The looks of Titanium!
- Affordable!
- Finish is as good or even better than on much more expensive competition (Handbrusted finish, Laser Cut and Welded Titanium head tube badge...)
- Handles as good or perhaps even better than much more expensive competition!
- Pretty light for straight gauge 3Al/2.5V Aerospace grade tubbing (3.43Lbs for size 18.5 frame on my scale)

Weaknesses:    - Company no longer sales in Brazil. I hope that now that they have changed Brand to Van Nicholas and are running a new staff, they come back to Brazil and start selling them again. I need a new speed bike, and now that I have tasted Titanium I will never go back to Carbon or Aluminum (perhaps True Temper OX2 Platinum Steel...)

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks!!! When I first saw the frame I said to my self¨What he hell... Titanium this quality finish for that price...must have it!!!¨
Everything that most people said about this frame especialy in the european media is true! A great frame to race, hit the trail and enjoy in epic rides. The people at Airborne really knew what they were doing. I believe that now Van Nicholas is mantainig the goal and still offering the best titanium bikes for value. Of course they are better titanium frames out there but they cost at least twice as much, so the value is unbeatable. If you can grab it!

I strongly recomend it for anyone who likes to ride fast and competitive cross coutry.

The Lancaster changed it´s name to Zion and is now Avaliable at www.vannicholas.com

Favorite Trail:   Pico do Gavião/Aguas da Prata SP

Purchased At:   Trilha Bike-SP

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Pisgah (a firend´s bike), Trek 8500, Trek 990, GT Zaskar LE, Caloi Aluminum ATZ, Caloi Italia, Alfameq Tirreno.

Bike Setup:   Sid World Cup, Ritchey WCS stem, King headsed, Titec Pg 150 handlebar, Thompson Elite post, Selle San Marco Concor Light saddle, XTR/XT disc, Mavic 717 laced to XTR hubs and DT Revolution spokes, Vittoria Spinx tires (awesome tires).

Submitted by mule a Racer from south africa

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    Brilliant handling and superb geometry

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for racing and marathon riding. Titanium absorbs the bumps and it tracks like its on rails. no flex, no nonsense race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   aluminium and cro-mo hardtails

Bike Setup:   Raceface/SRAM/Magura discs Crossmax SL UST Marzocchi marathon race fork

Submitted by mule a Racer from south africa

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Strengths:    Brilliant handling and superb geometry

Favorite Trail:   Harkerville

Purchased At:   local dealer

Similar Products Used:   aluminium and cro-mo hardtails

Submitted by adán pinto from la laguna, asturias, spain

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    light, titaniun flex, finish, price, geometry....it's titanium.

Weaknesses:    decals design and flex seatstays with v-brakes.

Bottom Line:
for the price, there is no other option in the market. the ride is incredible and is a bike for years.

Favorite Trail:   camín real de la mesa

Purchased At:   barracuda.be

Similar Products Used:   univega alpina 5.9 cromoly

Bike Setup:   manitou r7, xt, xtr, slr, ritchey

Submitted by Carlo Franco a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2005

Strengths:    Very fast around tight corners, soft ti frame swallows the bumpy trails

Weaknesses:    company no longer sells in the US

Bottom Line:
best bike I've ever had.

Favorite Trail:   700 Acres

Purchased At:   Airborne.net

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR combo, Fox RL 80 fork, Hayes hydraulic disk brakes, WTB velociraptor front and Specialized Roll-X pro rear.

Submitted by marc a Cross Country Rider from Soest, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Beautiful detailed frame

Weaknesses:    geometry

Bottom Line:
The geometry is awful! Top tube is to long and seat tube angle is not steep enough, resulting in a uncomfortable long stretched position. Even after mounting a very short stem and putting the saddle in the most forward position on a Thompson seatpost I was left with a funny looking bike, which still didn't ride good. The low an long top tube results in a very sloppy front triangle.
In the end i sold the frame and ordered a handmade titanium frame from Italy

Favorite Trail:   Schoorl

Purchased At:   european dealer

Similar Products Used:   Rewel, Italian titanium handmade frame

Bike Setup:   shimano xt, rockshox duke xc

Submitted by dan milner a Cross Country Rider from UK/France

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    affordable titanium ride. Good attention to detail. Well thought out cable routing etc. Frame size has a very low top tube.. maximising your movement over the Toptube on anything technical.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm. I havbe to think hard ...Maybe the seat-tube takes the anodising off my USE seatpost ... damn that Titanium, it's way too hard!
Oh yeah and I had to get a longer seatpost (420mm) cos of the lower TT (see above)

Bottom Line:
A damn good TIT frame for anyone wanting a good comfy XC ride. Handles well on anything technical (rocky and switchbacks) and is a pleasure on long rides. This is my bike for my home trails around Chamonix (techy) and for a 2 month exploration of the singletracks across New Zealand last year. Fantastic, especially when you put on an adjustable travel fork like the Rebas (85-115mm).

Favorite Trail:   Chamonix

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar LE (the 6061 triple butted seatstay version) for 5 years until I bent the seatstay in a fall.

Bike Setup:   USE post, Atom bars & Atom stem, XT discs on Hope/Mavic. Old school XTR 8 speed (who needs 9?), Syncros c/set, Rockshox Rebas (fantastic)

Submitted by Carlo Franco a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio TX

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2005

Strengths:    Very Soft ride, quick on tight turns, tight on technical lines

Bottom Line:
Best bike I've ever owned

Favorite Trail:   OP

Submitted by paul a Cross Country Rider from netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2004

Strengths:    Handling, looks, finish, made of titanium. Standover height, cable-guides for cable- as well as hydraulic operated brakes. Price compared to other titanium frames.

Weaknesses:    None that matter really.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, it's light, handles very well, you can do almost anything with it. Race it, make long epic rides, even tour it on the road with a pair of slicks if you like.
I like to take it for a couple of hours but also like a bit of extra comfort, so I put the thudbuster post in.
Ofcourse there are cheaper frames that offer similar rides, but they're not made of titanium... no corrosion or paint to come off. I also like the fact you don't see too many of these bikes.
Would buy it again any time, I enjoy every ride on it, and that's what it's all about for me!

Favorite Trail:   singletracks

Purchased At:   bike2build

Similar Products Used:   Marin Pine Mountain '97, Cannondale SuperV '99, 2-Danger Raver '03

Bike Setup:   Rond/Magura Quake fork (coil-oil), Sram X9 shifting, XTdisc-Mavic717 wheels, Cane Creek thudbuster seatpost, Hayes HFX9 brakes.

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from Lithia

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2004

Strengths:    Price, design, finish.

Weaknesses:    None noted yet.

Bottom Line:
Great hardtail!
BB Shell wasn't quite right when I bought it and Airborne fixed the problem with no hassle. (Thanks Airborne!!)
I bought this after riding a FS for several years. I really like the way this bike behaves in the woods. It tracks like it is on rails and behaves suprisingly well through rocky and rooty sections.
If you are in the market for a nice light fast hardtail for your singletrack pleasure, this is a very nice bike.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia

Bike Setup:   Duke xc fork, Truvativ BB & Cranks, Sram/XT shifting, XT / 717 wheels, Deore Hydro 525 Disks, Easton bars and post.

Looking for trails in Lancaster/Harrisburg area

Hey guys. As I said in. My other post, I'm pretty new to this area. I've found some decent trails around here so far. I've rode Lancaster county park many times and mt penn once. I've also heard about the trails at my gretna and am planning to check those out soon. What are some other good trails in ... Read More »

New Guy from Lancaster Area

I been looking around on the forums awhile now and decided to finally say hi! My name is Matt from the Ephrata area. I'm totally brand new to mountain biking and just started this year. To keep it short I got bored one day and remembered someone had given my father a bike because he loves collect ... Read More »

Mountain Bike trails in Lancaster, PA

I hope someone can help me out. I'm heading up to Lancaster, PA for a soccer tournament for my son and I was thinking of taking my bike. Are there any single track trails close to Lancaster that one would recommend or if there is trail info somewhere or a local bike I can talk to. ThanksRead More »

Kitchens in Lancaster B and Q

We can beat B and Q kitchens prices in Lancaster by 30% guarenteed. [URL="http://www.solidwoodkitchen.co.uk/"]www.solidwoodkitchen.co.uk[/URL] 30% cheaper that B and Q kitchens in Lancaster.Read More »

Lancaster to Fair Hill, MD Drive Time

I figured lots of the Lancaster guys head south to Fair Hill, and I'm looking at a job in Elkton, so curious on the "real" drive time. Thanks,Read More »