Airborne Black Widow XC Hardtail

• It has an amazing new CNC Enigma seat stay yoke
  • The Widow also features lighter CNC disc brake dropouts

Submitted by Oliver Heath a Cross Country Rider from Shropshire UK

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    I've been Mountain Biking for 15 years and have developed a good appreciation of what marks a quality ride and feel. My 19.5" Black Widow is the perfect fit and reach for me and delivers a racy feel without sacrificing comfort. The springy, Airborne Ti seat-post compliments the frame perfectly and combats those smaller trail anomalies. The more aggressive your riding style the greater the bike's performance. My Widow thanks me for treating her mean and enjoys constant punishment!

I particularly enjoy challenging climbs and on the ascents my Widow performs a treat, with excellent traction, a stiff rear triangle and fast acceleration she offers a fantastic climbing experience. The forgiving properties of the Ti frame help compensate for lack of rear suspension, this benefit is emphasised when you really open her up on those long, winding forest descents. After riding Titanium any sane person would never revert to aluminium.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any

Bottom Line:
Over the last 6 month I have noticed a marked improvement in the speed around my local circuit, my bike handling skills have increased and my overall confidence is back to how it was before I owned a full susser. The Black Widow has injected the fun and spirit back into my biking.

All-in-all a well worthwhile '10 CHILI' purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Cakes of Bread, Derbyshire UK

Purchased At:   $3500

Bike Setup:   At the risk of upsetting my wife, I specced my Widow with:
Full 2005 XTR disc groupset, Pace RC39 XC remote lockout folks, Chris King headset, Mavic XC717 rims, XTR disc hubs, DT Revolution spokes, Thomson Elite stem, Easton MonkeyLite SL CNT risers, Airborne Ti post and Airlock.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Leicester, England

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    Its looks, The sheer craftmanship,(which helps when building your bike it all falls into place.) because it's so light $ stronge the abilitey to change direction & cope with your chosen new route.

Weaknesses:    As it is a polished frame if you do night trails your light cables & battery housing when secured can mark the frame.

Bottom Line:
This is a quality cross country frame! this is not a down hill rig or jump rig.
It is just as at home covering flat dirt trails as it is fast loose rocky hills in wales. It is light enough for someone doing endurance races and wont sap strength.
The waranty is second-to-non! Full life time of the original owner not repaired but replaced if you break.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere in Wales

Purchased At:   Halfords 6 mounths int free

Similar Products Used:   Nothing. You can't get a better Titanium frame for the money!

Bike Setup:   Magura Louise FR hydrolic disc brakes,full shimano XT drivetrain, shifters, front mech, hubs. rear mech XTR rapid-rise,crank bros egg beater ti, airborne titanium seatpost, mavic XE 721cd rims & Rockshox pyhlo sl forks.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff and efficient power transfer yet very comfortable and supple ride. The bike has such a stiff bottom bracket area that it feels like my road bike in acceleration. The titanium "Enigma" seat-stay yoke and ti post make the ride very forgiving to my back. I also race a (very expensive) full suspension race bike but the Black Widow is faster and almost as comfortable over rough stuff. The nose art is just great.

Weaknesses:    No color choices, but the satin titanium really fits the company culture based on 1940s aviation.

Bottom Line:
Unbeatable for value, perfomance, techno appeal. The ti stuff works so nicely when designed properly as in this frame. Airborne changes the tube diameters and butting for each size based on the different stresses. Having a bike named after a classic night fighter with nose art is a nice way to be a little different from the blue and red bikes out there. The quality of manufacture is like a work of art, and I'm simply a faster racer on this bike compared to my FS bike.

Favorite Trail:   Dausett Nature Preserve

Purchased At:   Airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar LE hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Race face deus crank, XTR shifting, Hayes HFX brakes, 717/WTB wheelset

Submitted by Rafi Julius a Cross Country Rider from Jerusalem

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    A beautiful designed titanium hard tail .
The ride on this titanium hardtail is both comfortable and inspiring. The framed combined with an airborne Ti seat post filters out small annoying bumps and moderates the bigger ones so you don’t get them into your spine.
The telepathic geometry is great on tight singeltracks, it dissents very well (easy to get behind the saddle and back), and climbs very well even technical stuff (just sit right).
When its time to ride fast the bike really shines: the stiff bb and rear end make it a perfect race machine.

Weaknesses:    On the really loose and rocky climbs you remember it’s a hardtail: it will loose grip unless your position is perfect. But this is all a hardtail is about – to remember how to ride.

Bottom Line:
Coming from a carbon softail, and not wanting a full suspension, this bike really made it right.
If you don’t like the fact that your bike looks like a motorcycle, if you don’t want more moving parts in your bike than your brain, if you don’t like the “shot and forget” ride of a full suspension (“where am I ? on the sofa at home or riding my bike in the woods?”),
But still want a perfect do it all, long lasting and beautiful bike – than the Airborne black widow is the perfect match.
This is one of the rare hardtails that makes you think if the fully fashion is really the right thing for crossies.

Purchased At:   Pantanoviz trade Israel