Home | Reviews | Womens | Trek

Trek Skye Womens

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

This bike knows what you need for a great trail ride, and it delivers. No skimping on performance, no skimping on fit.
  • Frame: WSD Alpha Silver Aluminum w/externally relieved head tube, bi-axial down tube, disc compatible dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour M-2025 w/coil spring, 63mm travel
  • Wheels: Formula FM21 alloy front hub, FM31 alloy rear hub; Bontrager 550 36-hole rims w/machined sidewalls
  • Shifters: Shimano Revo, 7-speed twist
  • Brakeset: Tektro linear-pull brakes w/Tektro adjustable-reach levers

Submitted by Susan Muench Ploplys

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2015

Strengths:    I purchased for riding on sandy and gravel mostly flat terrain roads on the island I live on. I'll be doing 20 mile rides. I like the way the bike feels on the road. I needed a frame that does not rust so easily given my environment. This bike is light enough for me. I spent 375 on it as it is an older model but brand new. I purchased it on Grand Cayman and I live on Little Cayman so I did not have a lot of time to think about my purchase before catching a flight out. I am happy with the bike overall, the handling and shifting ease.

Weaknesses:    I got a flat tire second ride due to sand burrs on a sandy path. I am very disappointed in the tires, that a tiny sand burr could poke through to puncture the tube. I paid enough for the bike that the tires should be able to get me over the easy surfaces I am riding on. Also, although I am only 5'4", the seat cannot go high enough for me and I have to purchase a new seat post. I know I should have ridden the bike first for a while but I was so short on time and felt that since I am not an overly tall woman, it would fit me fine. I will spend more time if I ever buy a bike again.

Bottom Line:
Customer service inquiry on the tires was handled politely and quickly but not satisfactorily. My main problem with this bike is the fact that thin casing tires were put on it. I expected better from TREK. I am having to spend more money on an already expensive (for me) bike just to make it work for easy riding around the island. It's not reliable without thicker casing tires. I believe the seat post should have been longer than 10".

Submitted by Mevnet a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2014

Strengths:    Decent components, sturdy frame, good geometry for a comfortable ride.

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy

Bottom Line:
Had the chance to buy a 2012 Trek Skye Women's Sport mountain bike and I am very pleased with it. My wife loves the handling, good brakes, saddle and overall comfortable ride. I put together a quick video for more derails:

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel EX 7

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Meowhead a All Mountain Rider from East Texas

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    Good components, nice frame geometry, good brakes, lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not suitable for aggressive riding

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2012 Skye sl disc. I bought this bike after just getting into mountain biking, and after riding on a Schwinn for a month. It is a heavier bike that is the main thing I do not like. The frame and components are nice and it handles great on the trail. Climbs well, despite the weight, and goes right where I want it to. The tires that come on it aren't the best but they will do for now. You will definitely want to replace the plastic pedals right away though! Overall this is a nice bike for a beginner and as a woman I really appreciate the geometry and subtle alterations. And best of all the bike doesn't look girly at all looks pretty sweet. I plan to ride it for about a year or until I "outgrow" it :)

Similar Products Used:   09 Schwinn Ridge AL

Submitted by dhosinski a Weekend Warrior from Center Line, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2012

Strengths:    Stable on singletrack, goes over rough patches relatively well and I feel that provides confidence,
climbs well, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Maybe the components could be upgraded, but we aren't planning on racing just yet. Tires were okay, but traded out for some WTB Weirwolf 2.1's that I couldn't resist. Excellent upgrade

Bottom Line:
Okay, we bought the 2011 SKYE SL (Disk) XC for my girlfriend so we could ride around town. Several months later we made a go at hitting the local bike trail and she absolutely loved it. I will say this. There is is a spot in the trail that can be intimidating, but she went straight through it. I think the geometry, and setup is dialed in very well and provided her confidence so she could pound the trail. She is climbing with confidence, and flying through the flats. We aren't racers, or training for one. Just out to have a good time. She loves the bike, and the only way we would change it to get her on a 29er, because we hear it's a worth while upgrade.. Otherwise, for a first bike "no complaints here!'

Great bike for a first time buyer who wants to upgrade from the local Walmart bike
The WSD is definitely a plus
Great job to the Engineers at TREK!!!
I'll give it 4 chili's only because it could have better components/tires

Purchased At:   Macomb Bike & Fitnes

Similar Products Used:   This is my girlfriends first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   SKYE SL DISK XC, stock everything except changed tires to WTB WEIRWOLF 2.1

Submitted by delicate little flower a Weekend Warrior from Ithaca, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    Solid, responsive, entry-level bike. Brakes well.

Weaknesses:    As is the case with most entry-level bikes, the Skye suffers from being heavy and coming stock with some less than hardy parts.

Bottom Line:
I was a bit worried about the extra weight of this bike at first, but I got used to it and it feels really solid on the downhills. This summer I borrowed some bikes to ride and I got used to using the lighter clamp style brakes and I think the disc brakes add a few pounds to the setup. That being said, I like how nicely the disc brakes work at slowing and stopping the bike. I also think the cheaper Suntour fork is pretty dang heavy compared to other forks, but I couldn't see spending the money on the upgrade at this time--perhaps in a few years.

If you are going on anything rougher than dirt roads, I strongly recommend some upgrades from the start.

Based on what I know I will be riding for the next 2 to 3 years as I learn the sport (easy to intermediate single-track), I upgraded the tires to some WTB WeirWolfs (wonderful and essential upgrade), and the derailleurs to Deores. The next upgrade is going to be the pedals (I'm not clipping in yet and the flat plastic pedals are really slippery).

With the upgrades, I'm really happy with the bike and I'm looking forward to years of use.

Favorite Trail:   Hammond Hill

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Wahoo and Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by E-Reg a Weekend Warrior from San Juan, PR

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Sturdy. Looks.

Weaknesses:    On of the pedals (Wellgo Alloy Platform BO87) was making a clicking sound and had to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
Bought a 2011 Trek Skye SL (non-disc) for my wife the same day that I purchased a 2011 Trek 4300 Disc. The Skye SL is the WSD version of the Trek 4300 Non-disc model and has the exact same drive train and components except the WSD SSR saddle (vs Evoke 1 on the Trek) and WSD sized stems and handlebars. The WSD parts drop the bikes weight. Trek sent cage pedals to replace the stock platforms that were much lighter than stock. Bike weighed 30 lbs stock.

No creaks or issues so far, but no aggresive riding yet (wife not very skilled). No compliants about the Spinner fork (100mm) travel. It has a hydraulic lockout. Solid assembly by the LBS. 2011 components a step up from 2010, so consider that carefully when comparing prices.

Solid formed and butted frame. Looks great.

The LT3 tires are designed for light trail and dirt path riding, not serious trail riding. Spend an extra $120 for knobby tires and hydraulic disc brakes, and it will both save you the cost of upgrading the tires at a later dath and give you hydraulics. Brakes do the job and stop on a dime in dry conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Monagas