Home | Reviews | Womens | Trek

Trek Skye SL Womens

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

This bike knows what you need for a great trail ride, and it delivers. No skimping on performance, no skimping on fit.
  • Front Suspension: Spinner 300 w/coil spring, preload, hydraulic lockout, WSD Rider Right spring weight, 80 or 100mm travel
  • Frame: WSD Alpha Black Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Wheels: Formula alloy FM21 front hub, Shimano alloy RM30 rear hub; Bontrager Camino 36-hole rims
  • Brakes: ektro linear pull brakes w/Shimano EF51 adjustable-reach levers

Submitted by E-Reg a Weekend Warrior from San Juan, PR

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Sturdy. Looks.

Weaknesses:    On of the pedals (Wellgo Alloy Platform BO87) was making a clicking sound and had to be replaced.

Bottom Line:
Bought a 2011 Trek Skye SL (non-disc) for my wife the same day that I purchased a 2011 Trek 4300 Disc. The Skye SL is the WSD version of the Trek 4300 Non-disc model and has the exact same drive train and components except the WSD SSR saddle (vs Evoke 1 on the Trek) and WSD sized stems and handlebars. The WSD parts drop the bikes weight. Trek sent cage pedals to replace the stock platforms that were much lighter than stock. Bike weighed 30 lbs stock.

No creaks or issues so far, but no aggresive riding yet (wife not very skilled). No compliants about the Spinner fork (100mm) travel. It has a hydraulic lockout. Solid assembly by the LBS. 2011 components a step up from 2010, so consider that carefully when comparing prices.

Solid formed and butted frame. Looks great.

The LT3 tires are designed for light trail and dirt path riding, not serious trail riding. Spend an extra $120 for knobby tires and hydraulic disc brakes, and it will both save you the cost of upgrading the tires at a later dath and give you hydraulics. Brakes do the job and stop on a dime in dry conditions.

Favorite Trail:   Monagas

Purchased At:   Koishma Multisport

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by byow04 a Downhiller from Burnsville, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frames

Weaknesses:    Shifters aren't very smooth, Fork tends to creak a lot

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike for heavy single track trail riding, but apparently I didn't do enough research, because I find online that the bike is not even made for singletrack but rather dirt path/commuting. Sort of dissapointed, but with regular maintenence checks I should be able to keep riding it for another year or so before I get sick of the "cheap" feel of the components. But the frame is nice and solid.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Regional MTB trail

Purchased At:   Penn Cycle Eagan, MN

anyone know anything about the skye sl?

Looking at getting my girlfriend a bike, we don't do anything extremely crazy but we do a lot of trail riding. The LBS recommend a 16" frame, and mentioned the skye sl.. any other bikes I should check out for her?Read More »

Trek Skye SL for my wife

my wife wants to ride with me. she, like me, is new to mountain biking. she will also be riding a mix of streets and trails. is this decent? [IMG]http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2011/xl/skyesl_white.jpg[/IMG] [url]http://www.trekbikes.com/women/wsd_products/bikes/mountain/skyesl/[/url]Read More »

Trek Skye SL 2010

Wanting to pick one of these up for my wife. My lbs has them priced for $529.99. I'm guessing this is going to be standard for all brick & morter retailers withing a reasonable distance from my location. My question is, how much do you think they go down in price for when the 2011 come in and wh ... Read More »