Home | Reviews | Womens | Trek

Trek Skye SL Disc Womens

This bike knows what you need for a great trail ride, and it delivers. No skimping on performance, no skimping on fit.
  • Frame: WSD Alpha Gold Aluminum w/semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube w/integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts w/rack & fender mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Front Suspension: SR Suntour XCM w/30mm stanchions, coil spring & preload, hydraulic lockout, WSD Rider Right spring weight, 100mm travel (14": 80mm travel)
  • Brakeset: Tektro Women's Draco hydraulic disc brakes w/160mm rotors, adjustable-reach levers

Submitted by Meowhead a All Mountain Rider from East Texas

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2012

Strengths:    Good components, nice frame geometry, good brakes, lifetime warranty

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not suitable for aggressive riding

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2012 Skye sl disc. I bought this bike after just getting into mountain biking, and after riding on a Schwinn for a month. It is a heavier bike that is the main thing I do not like. The frame and components are nice and it handles great on the trail. Climbs well, despite the weight, and goes right where I want it to. The tires that come on it aren't the best but they will do for now. You will definitely want to replace the plastic pedals right away though! Overall this is a nice bike for a beginner and as a woman I really appreciate the geometry and subtle alterations. And best of all the bike doesn't look girly at all looks pretty sweet. I plan to ride it for about a year or until I "outgrow" it :)

Similar Products Used:   09 Schwinn Ridge AL

Submitted by dhosinski a Weekend Warrior from Center Line, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2012

Strengths:    Stable on singletrack, goes over rough patches relatively well and I feel that provides confidence,
climbs well, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Maybe the components could be upgraded, but we aren't planning on racing just yet. Tires were okay, but traded out for some WTB Weirwolf 2.1's that I couldn't resist. Excellent upgrade

Bottom Line:
Okay, we bought the 2011 SKYE SL (Disk) XC for my girlfriend so we could ride around town. Several months later we made a go at hitting the local bike trail and she absolutely loved it. I will say this. There is is a spot in the trail that can be intimidating, but she went straight through it. I think the geometry, and setup is dialed in very well and provided her confidence so she could pound the trail. She is climbing with confidence, and flying through the flats. We aren't racers, or training for one. Just out to have a good time. She loves the bike, and the only way we would change it to get her on a 29er, because we hear it's a worth while upgrade.. Otherwise, for a first bike "no complaints here!'

Great bike for a first time buyer who wants to upgrade from the local Walmart bike
The WSD is definitely a plus
Great job to the Engineers at TREK!!!
I'll give it 4 chili's only because it could have better components/tires

Purchased At:   Macomb Bike & Fitnes

Similar Products Used:   This is my girlfriends first mountain bike

Bike Setup:   SKYE SL DISK XC, stock everything except changed tires to WTB WEIRWOLF 2.1

Submitted by delicate little flower a Weekend Warrior from Ithaca, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    Solid, responsive, entry-level bike. Brakes well.

Weaknesses:    As is the case with most entry-level bikes, the Skye suffers from being heavy and coming stock with some less than hardy parts.

Bottom Line:
I was a bit worried about the extra weight of this bike at first, but I got used to it and it feels really solid on the downhills. This summer I borrowed some bikes to ride and I got used to using the lighter clamp style brakes and I think the disc brakes add a few pounds to the setup. That being said, I like how nicely the disc brakes work at slowing and stopping the bike. I also think the cheaper Suntour fork is pretty dang heavy compared to other forks, but I couldn't see spending the money on the upgrade at this time--perhaps in a few years.

If you are going on anything rougher than dirt roads, I strongly recommend some upgrades from the start.

Based on what I know I will be riding for the next 2 to 3 years as I learn the sport (easy to intermediate single-track), I upgraded the tires to some WTB WeirWolfs (wonderful and essential upgrade), and the derailleurs to Deores. The next upgrade is going to be the pedals (I'm not clipping in yet and the flat plastic pedals are really slippery).

With the upgrades, I'm really happy with the bike and I'm looking forward to years of use.

Favorite Trail:   Hammond Hill