Home | Reviews | Womens | Trek

Trek Lush S Womens

Lush gives you the confident control and comfort that comes from dedicated women's mountain bike geometry and revolutionary suspension. This is how the trail should feel.

• RockShox Reba RL Maxle Lite fork
  • Fox Evolution Series DRCV shock
  • Bontrager Duster Tubeless Ready rims

Submitted by EcoTravelerChick a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2013

Strengths:    good components for the price point,
Women Specific Design simply WORKS for a petite woman
handling
suspension tuned to a woman's weight

Weaknesses:    slooooow on the flat... but that's not why you bought a full suspension, is it?!

Bottom Line:
I picked up my Lush S 2013 in Bangkok... which is flat as a pancake. I got a great deal on it (and I already think that it is a great value for the components) because there is really no use for a full suspension bike when you never go down a hill! the S was the only version offered in the store, so I didn't try the SL or regular Lush, but this price point and component level was pretty much what I was in the market for, anyway.

I was all excited to try it out, despite the flatness of Bangkok, so I took it out with a local group who rides the trails around the rice paddies outside of town, which turned out to be almost as hard packed as the tarmac roads we took to get to them. I found myself at the tail end of the group the whole time- all of whom were riding hard tails with smooth, skinny tires - which was a bit embarrassing, really.

But then I took it home, to Kathmandu...

Suddenly I went from the back of the pack to charging up hills, passing the best of our group, and flying down singletrack like I had wings. I felt like Superwoman!

The big knobbly tires, which slowed me down on the flat hardpack in Thailand, grip the mud and layered dust of Kathmandu like glue. The plush suspension takes the drops and rocks and ruts like they weren't even there, the derailleurs shift the chain along the 3X10 rings like silk, and the slack overdrive headset steers like a dream.

The real difference with this bike, for me, is the geometry. I am 5 foot nothing, with relatively long legs and short arms- kind of a typical woman, really! I ride the 14.5 Lush S, which puts me much closer to the handlebars than my hard tail (also a Trek, but not WSD). The different angle makes my pedal stroke a lot more efficient too, which is how I find myself powering up hills about twice as fast as before, despite the rear suspension. This is also the first bike I've ever owned where I actually have the recommended stand over height! The suspension is also well designed for a lighter woman, making even the front fork significantly more cushy than my HT, while never being in danger of bottoming out- giving me a lot more control, not just a smoother ride.

The one thing I'm still getting used to is the totally different center of gravity. While it makes me feel more in control and confident on the downhill, I feel much higher off the ground than on my HT, and therefore a bit tippy. This is particularly true when I'm headed up a short very steep bit of trail- I often feel like i'm going to tip over. This is more a technique issue than anything else, and I'll get used to it soon, but I thought I'd mention it in case other people feel the same way. The steering is also much more sensitive than on my HT, so I had a bit of trouble at first on particularly skinny "half tracks" like those between the Nepali rice paddies (the Thai paddies have tractor roads between them), I felt like I was in danger of accidentally over steering and falling off the track. Again, this is just something to get used to.

Finally, it is a bit shallow, but I do have to say I love the color, and I've gotten a TON of complements on it. The powder blue and navy is just striking, and the gold accents are a nice touch!

If you want an idea of what kind of riding I do in Kathmandu, look up "colors of Kathmandu" on YouTube.

Favorite Trail:   Kopan Loop