Home | Reviews | Womens | Trek

Trek 1999 6500 Womens

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

1999 Trek 6500 Ladies, mountain bike, front suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Jett XC, 2.5" travel fork

Submitted by Tracy a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke Rapids NC USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Strengths:    Frame Geometry, After the first ten feet I said WOW! Great for a woman with shorter reach etc... Responsive, Awesome climber, my orange bike is too cool.

Weaknesses:    no shift indicators.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome. When Trek says it is designed for women, they mean it. I am 37 years old, so I'm not the springest chicken on the trails, but this bike lets me ride like I am. This bike is fast, responsive, handles fast trails and technical trails. This bike never lets me down. I've rode this bike for two years, and you couldn't give me another bike(unless of course it was this year's model)Nay maybe not, it wouldn't be that spectacular dragonfly orange.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Purchased At:   Countryside Bikes

Similar Products Used:   tested Raleigh M800, Raleigh, Giant, Specialed full-suspensions.

Bike Setup:   LX shifters, clipless pedals

Submitted by mountainbike mama2 a Weekend Warrior from Ft.Lauderdale , FL

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2000

Strengths:    Great set up for a girl!! Easy to toss around on the trails.
VERY COOL COLOR. Dragonfly organge!

Weaknesses:    Front Derailleur like to jump down to little ring when going over bumps. Flat bars make you lean too much.

Bottom Line:
Great bike!!!! Fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Oleta State Park-N.Miami

Purchased At:   International Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   old trek antalope 800-no suspn.

Bike Setup:   Go Fast riser bars, answer body shock suspn. seat post, xt brakes, shimano 535 pedals.

Submitted by Cargo Girl a Weekend Warrior from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    Frame size and strength. Front suspension.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable seat and stock pedals.

Bottom Line:
I don't have any complaints about my 1999 6500 WSD. It's a tough little bike that fits female and smaller male riders perfectly!

My bike has withstood alot of tough rides over the past year (They don't call New Hampshire the "Granite State" for nothing!), and it's still going strong.

The only suggestion I'd make, is to grab a pair of good clipless pedals for this bike, then go out and ride and enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   FOMBA Trails at Massabesic

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Time ATAC pedals.

Submitted by ed a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: September 3, 1999

Strengths:
kool frame feels better than bokes bike for jumps n stuff

Weaknesses:
lx shifters would have been nicer...

Bottom Line:
Kool bike for the smaller rider.

specilized rockhopper A1 FS

Submitted by Downhill Dude a Racer from Utah

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff frame very responsive.

Weaknesses:
The Saddle. I don't want to gross you out but just honest, it gave me vaginal brusing it was so hard. This took me off of the racing circuit for a while.

Bottom Line:
Except for the vagina destroying saddle a great overall bike.

6 months

Trek 7000

Crappy Saddle

Submitted by Mary G. a Weekend Warrior from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Strengths:
Climbs great. Stiff and responsive. Great fit and feel.

Weaknesses:
None I've experienced.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike. I am riding much more often now and can't wait to get out again! Love the Dragonfly Orange color.

Dunn Road

3 months

Submitted by Kathy a Weekend Warrior from Allison Park, PA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1999

Strengths:
This bike fits my 5' frame perfectly. This is my 3rd Mt. Bike, my 2nd Trek and I will ride this on the road and some easy trails. I sit more upright than my first two bikes.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. My only problem is not having enough time to ride!

North Park

less than 1 month

None really, I even ordered this without even trying it first! I wondered for a week if I did the right thing and after sitting on it for 5 seconds I knew I made the right decision.

Submitted by Holly a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: March 22, 1999

Bottom Line:
Although I have only had this bike for a short time, I really like it. I test rode some cheaper bikes like the Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, but they felt very unstable. They didn't shift well, and they didn't feel solid. I decided that it was best for me to spend the extra cash and get the better bike. I am also pretty small (5'4), so I was very concerned about getting a bike with a good fit. Trek does a good job at fitting this bike to my smaller female frame. To me, fit is everything. When I ride this bike, I feel as if I am controlling the bike rather than it controlling me. I highly recommend this bike to any female who is small of stature and looking for a good beginning mountain bike.

Submitted by Broken Rider a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: March 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
Test rode this bike for an hour, over all this was a great bike for the price. Top cross tubes shorter length made for a very comfortable ride, both on the wrists and back. Great for those of us with long legs and a shorter torso.

tested or demo'ed only