Specialized Myka HT Womens

Built for lightweight efficiency with anatomical engineering and components for women, the Myka is the best performing recreational mountain bike at a value everyone can appreciate.
  • Fully butted A1 Premium Aluminum frame with women's recreational XC geometry and low standover for a confident and lightweight ride, plus disc mounts for upgrading
  • 80mm smooth-travel SR Suntour fork with preload adjustment and custom women's-specific spring weights means the suspension is dialed for your size
  • Light and durable double-walled alloy rims are tough enough to handle the rough stuff
  • Specialized Fast Trak LK Sport 60tpi tires use a reduced knob height for lower rolling resistance, but have plenty of grip for confidence on the trail
  • Women's-specific dual-compound grips keep hands pain-free and loose on long rides
  • SRAM X4 rear derailleur and X3 trigger shifters deliver quick, sure-fire gear changes every time
  • SRAM 7-speed, 12/32t cassette replaces the freewheel mechanism of years past for lighter weight and more durability
  • Body Geometry Women's Riva MTB saddle combines generous padding and durable scuff guards for all-day performance and comfort

Submitted by MattK a Weekend Warrior from Fairfax, Va, USA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    Standover/frame size
Quality Aluminum frame
Drive train components work very well

Weaknesses:    Cheap brake arms
Very low-end suspension fork
Uncomfortable saddle

Bottom Line:
Needed a bike for my 'tweenage daughter. Sloping top tube, plus the small frame size, gave us a bike that fits now and she will still ride as an adult. Drivetrain is good. Shimano Acera is not flashy or feather-light, but it works great. EF50 brake lever/shifters are good, and now my son wants a set of them for his bike. The Mega-range freewheel is nice for young riders, but an experienced rider might not care for the jump to a 34-tooth cog.
Brake arms are cheap no-name linnear pull. This is the big miss on this bike. There are enough affordable yet good quality brakes that they should not use what they did. They look like what you might see on a department store bike, and the spring screws are rusting. I plan to replace them by Spring.
Fork is low-end and pogos a little, but it is holding up well and will probably last. At this price point, I would rather they just put on a rigid fork. The low-end suspension forks they include are very limited and scream to be replaced. The for does, however, seem to be durable and will probably last if you are happy with it.
My daughter finds the saddle and grips uncomfortable, but those can be subjective items. I just put on a Bell Praia saddle (got on clearance somewhere) and bought Avenir Comfy Soft grips, but have not installed yet.
I would recommend this bike for a young teen who is looking for a bike to carry her into adult riding. I also recommend for new or recreational adult riders. A great bike to enjoy now and possibly upgrade in the future. If you already have a basic hardtail and are looking for something more, you won't want the Myka HT; but you should take a look at other bikes in the Myka line. The upper level bikes add disk brakes, better forks, and even full suspension, if that is what you are looking for.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Accotink Park