Home | Reviews | Womens | Giant

Giant Anthem X 29er 4 W Womens

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)
MSRP : $1925.00

Implementing Liv/giant’s 3F philosophy (Fit, Form, Function), the Anthem X 29er W was designed for one reason: to bring the performance advantages of larger 29-inch wheels to women. The geometry and component selection on the lightweight ALUXX SL frame is optimized for the female rider. The Maestro Suspension is tuned to make the most of 29-inch wheels. And the frame technologies, including the OverDrive headtube, MegaDrive downtube and PowerCore bottom bracket, lend it a fast yet stable feel on any type of XC terrain.

• RockShox Recon Silver 29, OverDrive steerer suspension fork and RockShox Monarch R rear shock
  • Shimano Deore componentry
  • Avid Elixir 1 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Giant P-XC29 2 rim/Giant Tracker sealed F/R hubs, stainless spokes, wheelset
  • Color: Metallic White/Light Blue/Black

Submitted by Linda Tolman a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2012

Strengths:    Rolls over everything, goes fast, smooth peddling, feels really comfortable, love the look of the bike

Bottom Line:
The minute I got on this bike, it felt like it was made just for me. It is so comfortable to ride. I couldn't get over how much faster I could ride and how easily it went over the rocks and roots. I LOVE IT!!!!! P.S. this was a 60th birthday present. I am a Mother of 5 and Grandmother of 8.

Favorite Trail:   Castlewood Park

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Price Paid:    $1925.00

Purchased At:   Big Shark West, Ches

Submitted by Meghan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Strengths:    Momentum. descending. climbing (yes, climbing), smooths bumps. eats up the technical. The Maestro suspension feels so effective.

Weaknesses:    Aluminum alloy frame instead of carbon. Lower-end components

Bottom Line:
I am only 4'11", though I usually claim 5. I have been riding/racing for 12 years and always have been limited in which frames I can buy because of my lack of height. Previously riding a Pivot Mach4. Never thought I'd find a 29er to fit me so had resigned myself to just being slower than everyone else around me. I didn't get to demo this bike but just checked it out at the shop before I bought it. I was amazed that I actually had stand over. The fit is great. Went with a stem with some negative rise to get me in more of a forward, aggressive position.

The bike weighs in at exactly 29 pounds. The 0 model weighs 24. The frames are the same weight on each model. I am upgrading the wheels for less rotational weight and will upgrade parts to save weight here and there. However, I have ridden the bike all week. It doesn't feel like a 29 pound bike. I actually climb better because the wheel keeps contact with the ground and maintains the momentum. The downhill feels so smooth and stable. You wouldn't even have to change anything to enjoy riding this bike. It's awesome!

I can't say enough good things about this bike. If you are a petite woman in the market for a 29er, buy it and never look back. If enough of us buy one maybe Giant will realize there is a market for a smaller 29er and make it in carbon. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Favorite Trail:   Sovereign, Moab or Wasatch Crest