Home | Reviews | Womens | Giant

Giant Anthem w Womens

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Anthem is Giant's new no-holds-barred, cross-country racing rig. Every Anthem features minimal weight, lightning-fast geometry and a wide-open cockpit. Anthem sets the new standard in XC full suspension.

Submitted by Tzvia a Cross Country Rider from Woodland Hills CA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2009

Strengths:    Good suspension; the front and rear is well balanced once dialed in. The Pro-Pedal feature on the RP23 shock, along with the front fork lockout make those long uphill stretches much easier. Maybe for some women, the WSD thing doesn't mean much, but for me, having a bike that fits without weird short stems, no standover clearance and saddles that are sized for a man's sit bones means feeling good on the bike. It wasn't perfect, but it's a step in the right direction.

Weaknesses:    Only one model. Maybe some women would not spend more for better components, but I would like a choice of 2 or 3 models. As it was, it was too heavy. The Wheels were boat anchors- so I got Easton XC-Ones. The Race Face crankset was heavy, and shifted poorly, so I upgraded to XT. I would have preferred XT shifters and derailleurs but the LX works fair (will upgrade down the road.) The Seatpost was too heavy but I use only Thompson anyway so changed that out. Small Block 8 tires? Sure, for commuting, but not for serious MTBing. Giant has a good idea with the Anthem and Maestro; they just need to provide a choice to us women who are willing to spend more for better components. They do that for the 'mens' models...

Bottom Line:
Nice frame and fork. Needs better parts spec. A womens bike should not be setup with heavy components (especially wheels), then shod with crappy tires. The bike is a good bike, don't get me wrong, just give us choice! I would (and did) end up spending more to upgrade the bike to something better suited to the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Any Sedona AZ trail

Similar Products Used:   I've had my Proflex 856 since the mid 90's and bought the Anthem as a replacement.

Bike Setup:   Easton XC-One wheels, Negaval 2.1 front, WTB Werewolf Race 2.1 rear, Thompson Masterpiece seatpost, XT crankset, Race Face Next SL carbon bars/Lizard Skins grips. LX shifters/derailleurs

Submitted by laurap a Cross Country Rider from Eau Claire, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Great overall bike, rides very smooth and has a great flow. I ride a XXS (13.5), which I don't think that they produced for 2008. Bought it new in June 2007. My first full suspension, but I love it. I upgraded to full XTR when I bought the bike and swapped for a WTB Speed V saddle and WTB velociraptor tires. Other than that, I'm riding it as it came.

Weaknesses:    The only negative is the lower bottom bracket, which means I need to be more careful so as not to hit my feet or pedals on rocks, logs, stumps, etc.

Bottom Line:

Favorite Trail:   Lowes Creek

Purchased At:   Eau Claire Bike and

Similar Products Used:   Have ridden a GT Avalanche for 7 years, then got the Anthem.

Bike Setup:   See above.

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!