Ventana El Conquistador Tandem

Ventana’s meticulous craftsmanship and engineering design skills were put to the test with El Conquistador de Montañas. By combining our industry renowned rear suspension technology with a super-stiff mainframe, we have produced a high performance tandem with real off-road capabilities.

Submitted by Adam F

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2013

Strengths:    Fantastically well made, beautiful frame. Geometry that works well going up, riding along and coming down.

Weaknesses:    Only limiting factor so far is the captain. (Must try harder)

Bottom Line:
We (as with most I suppose) tried tandem riding because my wife couldn't ride places I did. Because of this we tried a basic road tandem and loved the sensation of "togetherness". We bought a cheap adventure tandem which I beefed up with MTB parts and enjoyed our first off road experiences together, lasting three months before we broke it.
We decided to take the plunge and buy a proper off road beast! Long discussions took place and we chose a full suspension 26er ECDM. We have not been disappointed, my wife now takes a major part in where we go to ride and what we ride when we get there.
In the 2 months we have had our bike we have rode local routes (Nottingham UK), Cannock Chase, Wales - several different areas and the Scottish borders. We have ridden together every weekend since we got ECDM whatever the weather.
The bottom line in this is that I look forward to riding the Ventana more than my solo bikes (Whyte 905, Yeti ASR5c) this in my opinion says it all.
My advice, if you want to give tandeming a try then do so, you might find you enjoy it as much as we do. (Stealing someone else's words) If you see a Ventana ECDM you will want to have a ride on it, if you have a ride on it you will want to buy one.
Alex at MTBtandems built ours. it takes ages to get it sorted by email, so take my advice and have a few phone conversations, or if you're lucky enough to live there go see him in person, he knows his stuff and is very helpful. The build takes a while but believe me it is worth the wait. Our Venatana ECDM absolutely R.O.C.K.S.

Submitted by gchilly a Weekend Warrior from new castle,colorado, usa

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    This is a very sturdy tandem that rides extremely smooth and is actually very quick for a tandem bicycle, especially when it comes to turns. The color is absolutely beautiful in the blue. We love this tandem!

Bottom Line:
This is our second tandem purchased from Alex at MTBTandems.com and we couldn't be happier! We've become absolutely obessed with tandem mountain bike riding and we see many more mountain bike tandem adventures in our future, along with many more tandem bikes. Alex at MTBTandems.com has been so helpful with both tandem purchases and is always available for questions or if you need help with anything.

If you're thinking about buying a mountain bike tandem, Alex is the only person you'll ever need to speak with. He's very knowledgeable about tandems and much more. Give Alex a call today or visit his website at MTBTandems.com. You won't regret it!

Favorite Trail:   rim trail, snowmass

Similar Products Used:   Fandango Tandem 29er

Bike Setup:   The tandem has White Bros fork with Chris King headset and middleburn tandem cranks along with Thomson seatposts and stems. Also, it has Magura Tandem Disk brakes, Sram X-9 derailers and shifts, White Ind. hubs and MTX Sun Rims.

Submitted by bighit1 a Cross Country Rider from eastpointe,MI,USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    Great quality product,built super strong,dual suspension smooths out the bumps and jumps.

Weaknesses:    NONE!!

Bottom Line:
An amazing Beast of a mountain bike!She goes just about anywhere i want her to go. tight turns are a bit of a challenge,climbs are no problem,bumps "what bumps"! we've even had it airborn and it handled great.we show up at some of the trails with lots of technical and climbs , and everybody looks at us like ,"your going out there with that"!
can't say enough about the bike.Alex @ MTBTandems helped me to set it up,those guys and gals know their stuff so if your in the market for a tandem, talk to them first!!

Favorite Trail:   Pinckney Rec Area

Purchased At:   MTBTandems

Similar Products Used:   First tandem

Bike Setup:   The Grinch Green Monster has, ATC Terrex T-5 fork,3-4-5 rocker kit w/Fox Float RP-3 ,Thomson posts and stem,Race Face Turbine Tandem Crankset and Handle bars ,Magura Gustav disc brakes,SRAM XO shifters and derailleurs,Chris King ahead set,Chris King hubs with sun MTX rims, Time clipless pedals ,Maxxis tires.

Submitted by mrt a Cross Country Rider from Hines, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent quality build, stable and tracks great!

Weaknesses:    None worth noting

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best tandem we have ever owned or ridden. Goes where you point it and can handle just about any situation within reason. The White Brothers fork raised the bike considerably, so my stand over was much higher than expected. I was able to lower the fork legs a bit but still took some getting use to being that high off the ground. Yes, the bike is expensive, but the Rohloff build is outstanding! We will never be caught in the wrong gear again. I don't regret spending the money. We ride this bike at least 3 days a week during the season and enjoy every minute. Thank you Alex @ MTBTandems!

Purchased At:   MTBTandems.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Co-motion Road

Bike Setup:   White Brothers Magic 100 fork, Rohloff Speedhub 14 speed, Magura Louise disc brakes, FSA V-Drive Mega EXO Crankset

Submitted by mvbiker a Racer from Mill Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Excellent build quality. Available custom geometry. Laterally stiff, yet smooth through the rough.

Weaknesses:    Could use a few more water bottle mounts (has 2).

Bottom Line:
This is an incredible bike. Our fourth tandem in about 20 years of riding two-up and definitely the best yet. Rear suspension eats up most of the stuff that would normally have my wife asking me to slow down, yet doesn't seem to come with any downside. No bobbing while peddling (Pro-Pedal off), no noticeable flexing. The 40 up front just eats everything, yet doesn't seem too heavy or bouncy when pedaling. We have the fork set up with 8" now, but plan to drop it to 7" or 6" at some point, but having the full travel is just too much fun right now. Bike weighs 45 lbs as built.

Purchased At:   Tam Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Otis Guy, Ibis

Bike Setup:   Fox 40,RP23, XT, Avid Codes, Middleburn Isis cranks

Submitted by oc-biker a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo, CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Full Suspension smooths out technical trails for the stoker. Excellent build quality. Super stiff, strong frame. Made in USA.

Weaknesses:    Standard geometry has much too short top tube. Need to go with semi custom geometry to get adequate ETT reach.

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike. No comparison to the fully rigid tandems I've ridden in the past. Steep, technical downhills are no problem with this bike. The only problem is when there are tight turns it's like driving a stretch limo. The wife stoker loves the bike. Sits through pretty rough sections. I don't need to call out every little bump anymore. She just says "what bump?" The Ventana soaks up rough sections like an all mountain bike. We've done up to 2 foot drops without any problems. Climbing is a challenge due to the weight (50+ pounds). However, climbing steep terrain (up to 23% so far) is totally possible but it will be slow going.

Riding MTB Tandems comes with a number of challenges. The Ventana helps with many of those challenges but it's still a major commitment. I strongly suggest you ride a friends mtb tandem prior to making a purchase. My stoker and I love the MTB tandem experience but it's not for everyone. We've ridden for a few years on a road tandem so our team communication and skills were pretty good. It was still a major adjustment to mtb tandem riding though.

Alex at MTBTandems.com was super helpful on sizing and answering my many questions. I spoke to another Ventana dealer and I would have ended up on a bike that didn't fit the captain well. However, Alex suggested semi custom geometry which solved the short TT problem. He knows his stuff!

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   MTBTandems.com

Similar Products Used:   KHS fully rigid MTB Tandem. Cannondale fully rigid MTB tandem. KHS Road tandem.

Bike Setup:   mtbtandems.com Value Build with semi custom geometry. Kenda Nevegal 2.35 tires (excellent treads). The rest is stock and all works very well. Super strong but somewhat heavy. I believe the wheels are overbuilt for strength with a weight penalty.

Submitted by ds2199 a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    This bike does it all. Once you get used to the long wheelbase, there's not a lot that you can't ride (tight switchbacks aside). The ability to order in various sizes makes it a great candidate for height challenged riders.

Weaknesses:    Have yet to find the the weakness

Bottom Line:
We love this bike! The other mtb tandems that would be compareable would be Ellsworth Whitness and the DaVinci Symbiosis. Ellsworth only comes in one size, so for the vertically challenged - it was not an option. DaVinci would likely be a worthy competitor.

Ventana makes a sweet bike. I would reccomend to anyone looking for a full supsension tandem.

If you are in the market for a mountain tandem - talk to Alex at mtbtandems.com. He's the man!!!!!!

Purchased At:   mtbtandems.com

Similar Products Used:   1st Mtb tandem, nothing to compare it to. This is our 4th tandem though and

Bike Setup:   Marzochi ATA 55, Sram x.9 shifters & derailers, Magura Louise disc brakes (203 Vented rotors), DaVinci cranks, Thompson seatposts and stem, Industry Nine DH/FR wheels.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    This is an exception mountain bike tandem. It handles well, has great clearance, and the rear set is great for the stoker. I have ridden on fire roads, single track, etc. Very efficient climber, with minimal BOB.

Bottom Line:
Working with Alex at MTBTandems.com was a great experience. He really knows how to pick the right size and fork setup based upon your size, riding style. I spent about 90 minutes with Alex, doing measurements on the riders and our other bikes and tandem. The fit was done over the phone, and it works very well. If you need a custom Tandem for off road use, this is the best way to go. This is my 4th tandem, and my 3rd mountain bike tandem.

Purchased At:   Alex at MTBTandems.com

Similar Products Used:   Santana Picolo, Cannondale MT2000. These are both good tandems, but the Ventana is outstanding.

Bike Setup:   White Brothers Fork, SRAM/XT

Submitted by Marc Norton a Weekend Warrior from Calumet, MI USA

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely well built, very stable, easy to set up and work on, great customer service for product no matter who you bought it from.

Weaknesses:    It's not articulated for tight singletrack (ha ha)

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike mainly for stoker comfort and the ECdM has delivered that and then some. Parts for the build are easy to obtain from standard fair of mountain bike parts. Never had a problem with headsets or bottom brackets as the machining is superb.
We don't take the machine to the extremes that others have. It is capable of taking just about anything. We are a heavy team 360lbs+ and it has never complained.
Definately the best value in full suspension tandems.

Favorite Trail:   Swedetown

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale MT2000, ATC T-5 fork, other parts same as ECdM

Bike Setup:   17/16 Electric Blue, 4 in travel, Fox Propedal, Maverick DUC32 fork, Sram Xgen, X.0 der, x.9 trigger shifters, Truvativ Firex tandem cranks, sun singletrack rims, ck hubs, wtb mutano raptor 2.4, avid 203mm bb7 brakes.

Submitted by Buck a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    Build quality and performance

Weaknesses:    None noted

Bottom Line:
Got the newer frame built up (I'd ordered a frame size too small - Alex @ MTB Tandems found a buyer for my old frame and saved me alot of grief) and took it to NC for a ride at DuPont State Forest. The bike floated over all the obstacles we found and performed flawlessly. The pro-pedal shock helped make the the climbing limits of this bike my own legs. If you like mountain biking and tandeming, you owe it to yourself to give Alex a call.

I did have to call Ventana for a question on swapping the rocker plates (for more travel - can't wait to try 'em out.) Got to speak w/ the owner himself and he was very helpful and personable. Much better customer service than I ever got from Tony when the Truth was broken.

Purchased At:   www.mtbtandems.com

Similar Products Used:   Burley Samba

Bike Setup:   19/14 '04 ECdM frame, Fox RP3 Shock, ATC fork (5",) Magura Julie brakes, Sun Mammoth rims laced to Chris King Hubs. 2.4 Motoraptor tires.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Strengths:    Bombproof construction - a must for a tandem

Weaknesses:    somewhat high BB and tall standover(albeit with a 7" fork)

Bottom Line:
No other FS tandem comes close for true off road worthiness. We looked hard at the Ellsworth, but it was priced $1K more than the Ventana, came in one size only, and relied on the exact same rear swingarm and suspension linkage as the XC Truth. Anybody that's ever ridden a tandem, and ridden it hard will tell you these thing see enormous stresses. Sturdy, even overbuilt construction is a must. The EcDM does not disappoint...the welds are absolutely flawless, quad bearings for durability, beautiful machine work.

A wide array of available sizes...even custom or semi custom if you're willing to fork over the $$. Tandems are inherently expesnive due to low volumes and more materials, but you get what you pay for with this one.

We started with a cheaper rigid Cannondale MT800 and after 2 years continued to enjoy it enough to go for the FS. My wife is sooooo much more comfortable and happy (and that make me happy).

Sherwood's customer service is legendary and personal.

Alex at MTBtandems.com is awesome as well and a valauable resource for what will hold up on a tandem.

You only go around once...

Favorite Trail:   Noble Canyon