MTB Tandems Fandango 29er Tandem

• Custom colors available
MSRP: $1699 frame only

Submitted by Norm a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, excellent trail handling with better than expected quality build and the helpful expertise of Alex at MTB Tandems.

Weaknesses:    With 29" wheels, double crown forks and a strong build it is a little heavier than our ridgid fork Cannondale. However it more than makes up for it with plush ride on fast downhills and technical trails with rocks.

Bottom Line:
After having fun riding/racing our MT800 for the last few years. We were looking for a better ride, after much review I finally broke down and bought a Fandango DC-9, for my wife, right?
WOW, our first impression was that we were more comfortable and felt more stable. This summer we played on more roads, trails and technical mountain bike parks on our tandem, than on our solo bikes. We were satisfied and having a great time riding.
So, we again applied to compete at the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival (Short Fat Course). In the final minutes of the hour long race it came down to the last hill, last turn and final corner, we were side by side with our closest competitor. Then sprinting at the finish WE WON, won by only one-half a second . The close second place mixed tandem competitor?
Yes, our friends that finished by our side, they too were also happy on their new Fandango 29" tandem with a similar build in only a different custom color.
Bottom line, if you like unique quality, superior handling and comfort call Alex at MTB tandems.

Favorite Trail:   Chequamegon and CAMBA area

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale MT800
Univega Sport Tandem

Bike Setup:   19.5/17.5 frame with 3x9 XO, Chris King hubs, velocity rims, Magura MT4 brakes and thud buster

Submitted by Michael Hopton a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2013

Strengths:    I believe that of all the strengths exhibited in this mountain capable tandem, that the knowledge and accessibility of the designer and business owner are likely two of its best strengths. Equally important, to me, is the heritage of the frame and it's status of being proudly Made in the USA. More specifically, the ability to spec optional equipment to create a semi-custom build.

Weaknesses:    More of a general industry weakness rather than a weakness of this tandem is the lack of accessibility of tandem rated parts. For example, suspension forks. Unless you are willing to risk of running a non-tandem rated fork, you are limited to only a few product offerings. This design was created with years of real world riding and appears to have limited, if any, weaknesses; at least that I've uncovered.

Bottom Line:
Riding a Fandango offroad tandem from mtbtandems.com has been a fantastic experience for my Wife and I. Living close to local trails (Blankets Creek), we find it to be our "go-to" thing to do on date night and a fantastic way to experience the more technical trails that were previously inaccessible together. In a short period of time, we have put more miles on our tandem together this year than I have on my single bike - something I never would have guessed would occur.

As a business owner, Alex Nutt has been fantastic to work with. He has endured my hours of questions and patronized on several occasions my requests to borrow one of the many demo bikes available to "make sure" we were ready to buy. His experience in helping us hand-pick our component selection, wheels, bar/stem combo, etc, allowed for the creation of a tandem that we felt at home on from the first ride.

Overall, our experience with mtbtandems.com and our Fandango DC-9 garner 5 flaming chilis. Thanks Alex!

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Purchased At:   www.mtbtandems.com

Bike Setup:   Fandango DC9, Hope V4 Stealth brakes, SRAM X9 drivetrain, Chris King/Velocity Blunt wheelset, Middleburn cranks.

Submitted by John and Lee

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2013

Strengths:    Great handling, price, quality.

Bottom Line:
Great bike handles extremely well. Handles single track like it was on rails. Had no problems with switchbacks either going up or down. flat out flies on fireroads. we upgraded to the hope hubs, being that we are a big tandem team. Captain 6'8" 225lbs and stoker 6' 180lbs. Great bike and great price. Alex is awesome to work with. Highly recommend him.

Submitted by Dan Cain

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2013

Strengths:    If you are looking for the ultimate mtb tandem, these Fandangos are the bikes to get!

Weaknesses:    Only as weak as the riders....

Bottom Line:
Buy it & you will not be disappointed!

Submitted by Ronnie Buis

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    My Fandango Tourist 29er is extremely robust. Ability to customise EXACTLY to one's needs. Mine is white frame with a mulititude of red bits & pieces (bling) and so it looks like a million bucks - as pimped by Alex Nutt of MTB Tandems. Even Wifey loves riding it (or is that because she idles at the back ??). It is very stable. I have the 14 spd Rohloff hub - no mess / no fuss. Alex guides you with vast experience to get what you SHOULD get - not always what you THINK you want. I would NEVER have considered a shift-grip or the Rohloff 14sp hub. It draws an incredible amount of attention wherever we go - it really is that awesome on the eye.

Weaknesses:    Heavy (can't have it both ways I guess). Still adapting to the twist grip - the Rohloff does not shift easily under load - means adapting one's riding style. For us in South Africa, it was VERY expensive at over R9-00 = $1-00. Mine is the Tourista as , at 58, I am past serious bush-bashing. Wife won't do that anyway - I have a 29er Niner Air 9 carbon hardtail and a Silverback Mercury Elite 29er full-susser for solo off-roading. We are going to try it on a local trail centre this week-end - nothing serious (eh?). But, it is such a shame to get it dirty - it is sooooo pretty.

Bottom Line:
I have the fat ACT fork, Hope hub, Hope V4 Tech brakes (superb), Sun Ringle MTX33 rims, cane Creek Thudbuster stokers seatpost, Middleburn cranks and all the rest are also quality bits. Wife hasn't ridden since Sept '12 (we came off the Cannondale road tandem - she had a good faceplant - hence) "I won't ride on thin tyres again - you can get a MTB Tandem" (Praise The LORD !!! for that "off"). We have only had about 8 road rides of between 20km & 35km each so far. Changed the tyres from the supplied Kenda Nevegals to Maxxis Crossmarks straight away as we are very arid here in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. Had them converted to tubeless - a wee bit difficult as the rims are so wide. I find the Rohloff shifting is not great under load - this is problematic when hitting a hill. As we have not been off-road yet, I think this could be exacerbated in the bush. Well, just gotta plan a bit better - I think it will mean sacrificing some momentum (well, as much as we 2 Teletubbies can muster). One problem is transporting it - without stripping the wheels off (not a quick task as per a normal quick release set-up on a standard bike). Any ideas here are most welcome. I am thinking of rigging a clamp against the cab of my 1/2 ton Fiat Strada. Even with the canopy on, I think it will stand upright if I remove the Captains seatpost / saddle and stokers handlebar assy - one clamp bolt and it all comes out in one piece. No pain there. Haven't had the opportunity to do a high speed descent as Wifey is still VERY nervous about coming off again (she really did take a big smack when we fell on the road). I heartily recommend Alex Nutt of MTB Tandems in the USA for guidance if you are interested in a beast of this nature. He can be a bit slow at times (oh, I wasn't the only customer ?) but you won't go wrong with him in your corner. And he is very pleasant to chat to as well - and his wife, Kim, is too.

Submitted by Pete Colan

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2012

Strengths:    Outstanding dynamics for trail racing, very rugged and well-built frame. Very well spec'd for the money

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet. A little nervous with hubs using traditional pawls because we tend to break them, so we're building a set of wheels with the DT Swiss ratchet ring for racing. We'll use the stock wheels with road tires for road riding

Bottom Line:
This is an outstanding bike for the money. My wife and I own a performance bike shop, and we don't currently sell FANDANGO, so we went outside our current brands to get this bike. My wife and I race ICEMAN every year on a tandem, we're getting tired of bike issues so we went with a new FANDANGO after many recommendations and terrific communication with Alex Nutt. Lots of range available for fitting, in fact I didn't need a stem and could use the stock Thompson. Right away on our first trail run (a highly technical trail) we were very impressed with the agile dynamics and had no issues on very tight switchbacks, off-camber corners, diagonal roots, etc. Very high ground clearance takes a little getting used to, but it's a welcome feature. The fork is responsive and tight. Cranks and chain rings very rugged, excellent gear ratio including climb-like-a-goat "granny gear". My wife digs the Cane Creek Thudbuster, finding she can keep her posture much better than the typical vertical suspension posts. I could not feel when my wife was up and down out of the saddle powering in climbs. We're looking forward to a lot of miles.

Favorite Trail:   ICEMAN

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale MT800 Tandem

Bike Setup:   Large Captain, Medium Stoker.

Submitted by Mark & Wanda Sadowski a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, build quality, value for money

Weaknesses:    No complaints whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
We live in Western Australia and chose the Fandango over the mountain bike tandems on the market based on the reviews and Alex's good reputation for service...... no luxury of a test ride. Alex went the extra mile to respond to our many queries and requests for changes to the standard specs. Shipping to Oz went without a hitch and on time. We were not disappointed on arrival of the Fandango. A few weeks of trail riding and we were ready for the Karri Cup race which included some serious single track. We finsished well up in the field of single bikes, to the amazement of many. The Fandango set up by MTB Tandems was perfect and inspires confidence for those high speed descents, technical singletracks and climbs.

Submitted by Lizardo a Cross Country Rider from Box Elder, SD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2011

Strengths:    Rock solid over 2800 miles of heavily-loaded mixed-surface cycle touring. Alex's knowledge and support from first call and onward has been great.

Weaknesses:    None found yet. We're just completing our first 2800 mile "shakedown" tour on the bike and we're now feeling confident about our

Bottom Line:
Would buy it again.

Also, both the Rohloff hub and Gustav brake decisions have served us very well. We love both.

Driving the Rohloff with a front derailleur (which I requested) we would not do again outside of our specific mixed surface, often solo-powered application. It's nice to have that very wide range of gearing but you pay a time/complexity price on flat repairs since you have to remove the idler gears to get the wheel out.

We bought this bike planning to eventually do the Great Divide Route. However, our immediate project was a combined hike and bike of the Pacific Crest Trail and Sierra Cascades Route which involved me solo riding the tandem about a third of the time. We should reach Canada tomorrow, completing the second phase of our tour and 2800 miles on the bike as we do. At this point we're completely confident in the bike and are ready to tackle the GDR and beyond. More details about the bike and trip can be had at tadteam.posterous.com.

Purchased At:   mtbtandems.com

Similar Products Used:   None. All of our prior experience has been on mountain(26 and 29er) and road singles. This is our first tandem.

Bike Setup:   19.5/17 frame. Rohloff hub. White Industries 40-spoke front hub. White Bros 100T fork. Magura Gustav brakes. Middleburn cranks with 36/46T rings. SRAM X-9 front derailleur. Thudbuster LT on the stoker seat. Alex also sold us some frame bags which have worked out well.

Submitted by ds2199 a Weekend Warrior from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    Not sure where to start. It's ALL GOOD! Alex has put together a solid tandem frame at a value price point. 29" platform is awesome. The geometry seems just right. I can't think of what I would change.

Weaknesses:    Have yet to find one.

Bottom Line:
This bike is the real deal. I don't know if there is a better application for 29" wheels. Having that big wheel (especially the front wheel) on a tandem just ROCKS!

We have completed several longish distance races on this bike and have been VERY pleased with the ride and the results.

ANYTHING mountainbike tandem related - talk to Alex at mtbtandems.com, he's the man!

Favorite Trail:   hard to say...

Similar Products Used:   Ventana El Conquistador de Montana

Bike Setup:   Maverick DUC 32 fork, Velocity P35 rims, Sram X0 shifters & deraileur, right side drive using LX cranks with large chainring used for timing rings. Thudbuster seatpost for stoker, Magura Louise brakes, 203 rotors, Chris King hubs. Panaracer 2.35 in the back and Maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    This bike is incredibly nimble for a mountain bike tandem.  I expected it to feel a little bit more tank like.  But it is so quick, so agile; and it maintains some serious momentum at medium to high speeds.  Really a pleasure to ride. 29 inch wheels are perfect for tandem use--roll through and over just about everything. And clearance is also terrific--my son and I even took it out on the local BMX track to the astonishment of the local riders. It's unlikely I'd ever purchase a new 26" mountain bike again. The welds on the head tube and rear triangle are something else.  Ventana builds the frames for Mtbtandems, so no surprise there on the quality. The Da Vinci cranks are works of art--they have a little bit more flex than I am used to, but the flex seems to be all lateral, and the triple holed rear crank works for all ages in our family--six and up.

Weaknesses:    Long captain top tube is ideal for most and the geometry is generally terrific; but for short riders, the top tube lendth on the 17.5/15.5 frame may be problematic. My wife, who is 5'4", can manage with a 45mm stem and zero stack height. But this bike may not work for captains shorter than that.

Bottom Line:
That is an awesome bike!  Beyond awesome.  It is also the only bike I've ever purchased that I did not have the opportunity to ride first (nobody has one around here, so I could not test ride it), so customer service on this sale meant a lot to me. Alex Nutt at Mtbtandems excels at customer service--we probably spent a total of three hours on the phone as the build was taking place.  (It's a bit scary purchasing a $4.5K bike site unseen.) I cannot recommend Alex, MTB Tandems, and this bike highly enough.

Favorite Trail:   Captain Jack's

Purchased At:   MTB Tandems

Similar Products Used:   Santana Picante Suspension: Hannebrink fork, XTR, Hadley Racing Hubs, Formula hydraulic brakes, Da Vinci cranks.

Bike Setup:   17.5/15.5 frame. White Brothers Magic 100t dual crown fork, Sram x-9, White Industries hubs, Avid BB7 203mm brakes, Da Vinci cranks, Thompson seat posts/stem, 959 spd pedals

Submitted by Joe and Kathy a Racer from North Andover, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2011

Strengths:    Ride quality and versatility

Weaknesses:    None that I could identify

Bottom Line:
We are roadies, but really enjoy the challenge of riding off road. The bike is smooth and easy to handle. We really like the bike - it a smooth riding, capable, versatile bike that will serve up well.

Favorite Trail:   Willowdale State forest

Purchased At:   MTB Tandems

Similar Products Used:   This is our first mountain tandem. We are primarily road riders and bought this to extend the riding season and go out with our off road riding friends.

Bike Setup:   Stock DC-9 Set up with mechanical brakes rather the hydraulic ones.

Submitted by gchilly a Weekend Warrior from New Castle, CO (USA)

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    Frame is extremely well made with quality parts. The 29er wheels are definitely fantastic on a tandem mountain bike. This bike is very forgiving and we feel would be great for all level of riders.

Weaknesses:    None that we know of.

Bottom Line:
Words cannot express how awesome this tandem bike is. The bike handles singletrack like a dream eating up everything in its path. 29er tandem bikes are the only way to go if you want to clear obstacles with no problem. And, we must admit that we love the attention that this bike gets from both riders and nonriders alike. Our first ride at Mary's Loop and Horsethief Loop in Fruita, CO, was not only spectacular and tons of fun, but we were also able to ride about 90% of the trails. And best of all was the service we received from Alex at MTBTandems.com. If you are seriously considering buying a mountain bike tandem, we highly recommend you speak with Alex at MTBTandems.com. You'll truly be happy that you did!

Favorite Trail:   The Rim Trail

Purchased At:   MTBTandems.com

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey tandem bike

Bike Setup:   White Bros T-100 tandem fork, Sram X-9 components, Magura Louise disk brakes, Chris King headset, Cane Creek Thudbuster Stoker seatpost, White Ind. Hubs with Sun Ringle MTX tandem 29er rims, Thomson seatpost and stem, and finally Middleburn Tandem Cranks.

Submitted by jandrews5 a Cross Country Rider from Acworth, GA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2011

Strengths:    Rigid, responsive frame with high bottom bracket for excellent clearance. Climbs,decends and handles almost like a single.

Bottom Line:
We have worked with Alex on all of our tandems. Our 1st, the 26 Fandango was so much fun we started racing! That led to the full suspension Ventana(for stoker comfort)that is still part of the corral. Then Alex invited us to demo the 29er.....
Our new 29er tandem is extremely quick - so much so that this stoker has to gently remind the captain at times that there are 2 of us on the bike!
The stiffness of the frame and the quick handling of the fork is incredible! The 29er wheels roll over just about anything. We climb better, descend faster and smile a lot!
Alex really knows tandems and the Fandango 29er is a must have for new or experienced tandem teams!

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Similar Products Used:   Fandango 26 Hardtail
Ventana El Conquistador De Montanas

Bike Setup:   New Fandango frame w/ 1.5 Headtube,White Brothers Single Crown fork, King hubs,Velocity Chunker rims,WTB Wolverine tires, Middleburn Cranks, Sram X-9 drivetrain.

Submitted by caraapp a Racer from black mountain, nc

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    solid off road tandem built on a 29 inch wheel platform, with perfect, well thought out geometry and a very reasonable price

Weaknesses:    none .... you get more than what you pay for

Bottom Line:
After riding road tandems for years and messing about on our c-dale 26" wheel tandem, I had a big suspicion that 29 inch wheels on an offroad tandem was the way to go.... when we found out Alex at MTBtandems was having these bikes made ,... and at a great price... we had to have one. We were not disappointed. The geometry of this bike coupled with the big wheels makes it handle better than we would have imagined possible for a big bike. We liked it so much we decided to do Leadville on it last year and won the tandem category with a new tandem course record time.... what more can you say about a bike than that!?

andy and cara applegate

Favorite Trail:   on the tandem: anything at bent creek

Purchased At:   MTBtandems.com