Home | Reviews | Tandem | KHS

KHS Tandemania Alite Tandem

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by Marcus B a Cross Country Rider from arkansas

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight alum frame, 40 spoke wheels bug hub double wall eyelet wheels, xt rear derailer all stock parts

Weaknesses:    Not a smoth as the steel tandom I have riden captian wheel to foot clearance not as mutch as a moutain bike should have
Stock rear seatpost not tall enough. handle bars only 21 inches wide. front brake had a rubber power modulater that killed its stopping power

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great tandom for people wo ride both paved and unpaved roads change to a wider tires for a more stable feeling. me and my wife love how close this bike brought us together. If you can paddle a canoe with out killing each other you can ride a tandom. you have to be able to speak with each other to ride not just with words but will your actions
Give the stoker a camra to take some pics. go fishing go camping just ride it to the store and people will be out looking at you bike saying that is the coolest bike they ever saw. But if you are not sure about it borrow one for a weekend
I load this thing evertime we go camping people will aways wave at a tandom team

Favorite Trail:   womble

Purchased At:   pappawheeles

Similar Products Used:   custom made santa cruz cro moly tamdom (bicycle shop owners own tandom loan to me and my wife for a 2 week time . we put 200 miles on this bike in two weeks we had to have our own

Bike Setup:   orian 8 air stocker seat post, Geax sturdy 2.1 tires,added problem solvers travel agent to both front and rear brakes,
xt reverse spring rear derailer. topeak quick release rear pannierand trucnk back and rack. duel wireless speedometer
garmin gps for rear stoker 26" wide cruser handle bars.four water bottle holders 8 speed twist shfter

Submitted by Murilo de Carvalho a Downhiller from Giania - GO Brazil

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    For the price is a very nice machine. The frame is the most important thing and KHS is a good option. Understand, in Brazil hardware is more difficult to add than other countries.

Weaknesses:    some weak parts should be changed as i did.

Bottom Line:
if you want to have fun with a girl or a friend this is one good choice. the changes what i did change this tsndem to a mountain bike!

Favorite Trail:   all on dirt

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   fepase

Similar Products Used:   one SPECIALIZED MMatrix tandem

Bike Setup:   The frame KHS, FOX forx Float 100 r, CANE CREEK S2, SHIMANO XT rear and LX front derailleurs, XT rapidfire, AVID bb7 brakes SHIMANO TANDEM rear hub with HUGI adapter for disk, TRUVATIV 5D cranks

Submitted by Thomas Peters a Weekend Warrior from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2006

Strengths:    Overbuilt frame, Skid-wobble free, Double-chain primary drive (designed by Kevin Ng of TS Cycles) allows for powered 'captain-only' rides - 74% head tube allows for comfy upright city riding - telescopic stoker-stem keeps stoker at a comfy distance with captain's bum . 52t crank achieves speeds up to 50mph whilst grunting.

Weaknesses:    Primary drive chain tensioner cam unreliable - needs to be loctite'd periodically (Kevin's baffled but he's working on it) - No other issues for now - It's been 10 years and lots of miles.

Bottom Line:
Comfy and natural and feels instantly at home beneath you and stoker. It almost feels like a single on 'captain-only' rides. Skid and wag-free due to the overbuilt frame. Locking the rear on asphalt descents is a small thrill but descending gravel is where this limo shines. The 40spk Suns are unbreakable but they howl under heavy breaking. Jed's right - it's definitely a tool for couples. I got my wife Jan safely into biking through tandeming and nothing beats the idle banter with your riding partner without shouting on top of your lungs or using a Talkabout.

Favorite Trail:   Kiara, Kuala Lumpur

Purchased At:   TS Cycles, Kuala Lumpur

Similar Products Used:   Softride

Bike Setup:   Kenda Kharisma, 40spk SUN Rims, Diatech Brakes/ XT Cantilevers, Power Tools CNC stem, Kore 3" rise Captain, KHS telescopic Stoker stem, Coda Competition Stoker bar, XTR RD, XT FD, Sugino 30/42/52 crank, Shimano 646 pedals, Double-chain primary drive Sugino 40t sprockets, Specialized BG saddles, Post Modern stoker seatpost and a Marzocci 700c air forks.

Submitted by Jed a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Strengths:    Decent components. Reasonably light. As a tandem, it's FAST!!

Weaknesses:    Frame stiffness, but only when riding hard. As we get better at riding, we are able to keep in better sync, making the stiffness much less noticable.

Bottom Line:
First Tandem, but now I (and my girlfriend) love tandeming. I can't quite understand why EVERY couple does not have a tandem. It's brought us closer together and we ride a lot more. I was a serious rider, she was not. Now we both are and we can stay together on our rides. Of the beginner tandems, I'd say this is one of the better ones. It's a great bike to start out tandeming on if you're not sure about it.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   SRAM and XT components. Removed ARAI drum brake, not needed.