Zion 853EBB (frame) Singlespeed

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Constructed of Reynolds 853 air-hardened steel tubing - a premium steel tubeset with incredible stiffness and fatigue strength, just like the Zion 853. But with the addition of an eccentric bottom bracket shell, you gain the ability to go singlespeed! Since the frame has vertical dropouts, you'll get perfect wheel alignment and chain tension every time - no need for a tensioner, special bolt-on wheel, or fussing with an out-of-alignment disc caliper. If you've been looking to go singlespeed, an EBB is the best solution, bar none.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Handling! This bike just fits me and handle so well. I'm not saying it will be the perfect fit for everyone, but for me, just so natural.
Nice 853 steel frame (front triangle only).
EBB works well.
It takes a standard A-headset, none of this integrated or zero stack rubbish.

Weaknesses:    Only uses 853 for the front triangle, so the rear is a little heavier than it needs to be.
The v-brake boses are ugly if you dont use them (which I don't)

Bottom Line:
My favourite bike. If I could only have one bike, it would be this one. If I could change anything, it would be to be a full 853 tubeset and also no v-brake posts. As someone else said, the graphics are a little boring too.
Due to these two reasons, I'm only giving it 4 for overall. The rear tire clearance isnt the greatest either, so I only run some 2.1's.

Favorite Trail:   Billy T's in Rotorua.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Trek Cross Mountain 870 home made single speed.

Bike Setup:   Chris King hubs and headset, Fox F100 Terralogic forks, Mavic 717 Rims, Shimano Saint brakes, Thomson post and stem.

Submitted by Adam Rosenberg a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Steel! Awesome geometry, feels great looks classic and rides even better! 853 Renoylds! Ecentric BB and has Der. Hanger

Weaknesses:    Kinda lame looking logo and headbadge, but thats not that importaint. Theres isnt the best tire clearance but a nice 2.2 is more than you'll neeed on this bike! The worst thing about this bike is that the company who makes it isnt more popular

Bottom Line:
Bike feels so solid!! has a long rear end (long stays) which gives it a nice solid feel one the flats and what awesome is that while the rear end is long its set up that you can still get far over the rear tire on big decents. awesome price and awesome ride!

Favorite Trail:   Hartwood

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really

Bike Setup:   Paul hubs, surly 1X1 fork, Avid SD7s, King headset, raceface cranks.

Submitted by MONTCLAIRBOBBYB a Cross Country Rider from Belle Mead, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2006

Strengths:    Great design, inexpensive, EBB works GREAT! LOVE THE FEEL. It flies on the trails... My favorite bike to ride... Only when the hills are intense do I choose my Jekyll.. The Zion is a sheer joy to ride.

Weaknesses:    Heavyish? Eh... so what... IT'S STEEL!!

Bottom Line:
Jenson claims they're going to bring the Zion back and begin selling it again... I hope so... IT'S A GREAT BIKE FOR SILLY CHEAP MONEY!

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy, Wawayanda, Ringwood

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Ryno-Lites with Surly Disc SS hubs. Easton Carbon bars and seatpost, Avid BB7 Disc brakes, Ritchey E3 pedals, Conti Vertical and Klein Deathgrip tires.

Submitted by Jason Miller a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo CA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    Great Value for the money

Weaknesses:    None(too bad its not USA made)

Bottom Line:
This Is the best deal I think you will ever find on a mountain singlespeed.The EBB works great,the frame is good quality,it handles downhill better than my last full suspension bike.I waited one full year before submitting a review so I could give my honest opinion,and this bike rocks!.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in Cleveland N.F.

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper,Santa Cruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   Fox Fork with Stratos auto lockout,Avid Juicy Five brakes,Truvativ cranks,Tubeless tires

Submitted by Philber a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2006

Strengths:    Steel, well made, well packaged for shipping, looks good, rides great.

Weaknesses:    Narrow chainstays, v-brake bosses, Jenson didn't include a seat post collar.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike, and I ride it more than my HT and my FS combined. The frame fits me very nicely, and seems to be very well constructed. I have thrashed this bike on many rides, and it always comes out fine. No maintenance, no tuning, no mechanicals. Beautiful. The chainstays are stupid narrow, meaning my Pana 2.4's have stayed in the box, but with Pana 2.1's it handles very nicely. The Avid mechs fit the bike great, and the EBB means no fuss if you need to change a tire on the trail. Stupid Jenson didn't include a seat post collar, and when I couldn't find one locally, they gouged me to send me one (shipping to Canada $$$). That pissed me off, and it is their house brand, so they should know better. The rear dropouts are a bit finicky - the XT QR lever has to point down, instead of back, which I don't like, and on the nut side, the spring has to sit outboard the actual dropout, or the wheel won't sit all the way into the dropouts. But bottom line is I love riding this bike, and I managed to build a really nice riding steel singlespeed for not a lot of money. Cheers

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Avid mechs, XT-317s, Truvativ SS crank/bb, 32-16, Easton bars and stem, CC headset, Thomson post.

Submitted by Shawn Collins a Cross Country Rider from San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2006

Strengths:    I spent over 3 months researching frames before settling on the Zion. It is definitely the deal you are going to find on a high quality steel frame out an eccentric bottom bracket (EBB). The Zion’s EBB is locked by two setscrews that are screwed in from the bottom bracket shell. I was concerned that the design would loosen up and creak, but it’s still solid as a rock. After initially adjusting the chain tension, I haven’t touched it in over 6 months of riding. I now ride this bike about 80% of the time, much to the chagrin of my Klein Palomino and Mantra. The frame is well constructed and has great ride characteristics. I have been a dedicated rider and racer since 1994 and this is one of my favorite bikes of all time.

Weaknesses:    As noted by others, the chainstays are pretty narrow, limiting rear tire choice to an absolute max of 2.1. I would recommend a 1.9 and expect the paint to get rubbed off. Additionally, the decals are not going to look pretty in a year – but you’re not riding a singlespeed to look pretty, are you?

Bottom Line:
If you are in the market for a singlespeed frame, the Zion is definitely the way to go. It doesn't break the piggy bank and serves up a smooth but springy ride, with nice features like an EBB. And, with all the money you save you can start a knee-surgergy fund, because, with how often you'll ride this bike, you're probably going to need it. Enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Gulch, WA

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden a Spot and, irrespective of the price, liked the Zion a lot better. I've been a full suspension guy since the late 90's: Trek y-33, Klein Mantra, Cannondale Jekyll, Klein Palomino.

Bike Setup:   Skareb Super 80, XT v-brakes, Spinergy Xyclones, and a classic Scott LFX Carbon bullhorn bar (flexy as all get go, but super comfortable with tons of leverage). 32x16 gearing.

Submitted by Tom a Racer from Philly

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good geometry for intended purpose. Handles very well. Steel frame takes some of the sting out of those hard hits of the hardtail. Price.

Weaknesses:    Narrow chainstays limit your tire choices, but I would not put fat tires on this bike anyway. I have a downhill and a trail bike for fat tire fun.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a blast to ride. It even handles well at speed on downhills, although the Talas fork may have a lot to do with that. The design of the EBB seems to be very good so far. I would recommend this frame to anyone looking to build a sweet singlespeed. If you can still get one.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   This is my first singlespeed.

Bike Setup:   Talas RLC, Kenda nevegal 1.95, mavic 317 rims, dues crankset, singlespeed

Submitted by RAY C. a Weekend Warrior from Long Beach CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    great Matte Black frame, disc only, I cut my V-brake bosses out and sand it out paint it and it look very clean. I wish I can show you. the bike weigh in at 23lb

Weaknesses:    there was a weekness now there none

Bottom Line:
My friend bought it first and did all the cuting needed such as the ugly V-brake bosses all the unnessary stuff etc. his bike is very clean. cleaner than mine. than I decided to buy one. this bike is beautiful and looks very mean and tough. I think my bike looks better than the demo at Jensonusa.

Favorite Trail:   Turbo Canyon

Purchased At:   Jensonusa

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale f3000,f800, Raven 4000,

Bike Setup:   Crossmax sl disc only, fox float 2005 disc only, Hope Mini Mono disc with koolstop pads, Velo carbon fiber seat easton Carbon fiber stem, seatpost, handlbar, Raceface deus crankset, raceface headset and Maxxis oriflamme tire.

Submitted by K.C. Howell a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Strengths:    Quality product for a great price. 853 Steel frame, EBB, disc mounts, good geometry. I migrated from a 'home-brewed' singlespeed set-up and this is sooooo much better - chain tension is no longer a problem.

Weaknesses:    No really a weakness, but rear wheel clearance is limited to a very true wheel with a maximum actual tire width of 2.2 inches (opening on my frame is exactly 2.375 inches).

Bottom Line:
I'm still in the early days of breaking-in this new build, but I have not seen any problems or concerns so far. Outstanding Value and Great Quality.

Purchased At:   Jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   'home-brewed' singlespeed conversion of a Specialized HardRock frame.

Bike Setup:   Bike 2 of 2: Zion 853EBB frame (21"), Surly 1x1 fork, Avid discs, Truvativ Style SS creankset with integrated BB, Mavic wheelset.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2005

Strengths:    It's Steel! Nice welds/excellent color & finish/Bottom bracket doesnt flex like other steel bikes I have ridden/Much more comfortable than my last Aluminum Single speed/ Received the frame 3 days afer I ordered it/Did I mention that it's Steel!

Weaknesses:    Wish I could have ordered it without V-Brake Bosses. I don't understand why they couldn't have spent 5 bucks & sent seat a post clamp with it?? I dont like the Green Reynolds 853 sticker on the seat tube but it can be removed easily.

Bottom Line:
Overall I'm very pleased with this frame. It is a little heavier than expected weighing in at 24.2lbs. It could easily be lightened up with a lighter fork & lighter tires. I sacrificed a little weight to build a very durable commuter bike. The fox fork is over 4 lbs & the tires are 680 grams a peice. I would recommend this frame to anyone wanting a top quality Eccentric Bottom Bracket Steel frame for less than half the cost of other Eccentric Bottom Bracket frames. I may write another review when I've had the bike longer but so far It's a great ride!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere around Durango

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper pro set up as a single speed, Independant Fabrication SS, Surley SS, Jamis Komodo, Trek 9.8, Giant NRS air, Nishiki Alien, Gary Fisher Joshua,

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla 100R, FSA carbon riser bars,FSA seat post, Chris King disc hubs with mavic819 tubeless rims, Gusset SS conversion w/16T cog, Richey Pro crank with 36T ring, Hayes Comp hyd. brakes,Schwaab Fast Fred Tubeless tires,Stans Latex,SRAM PC1 chain,WTB Stealth saddle

Submitted by j p a Cross Country Rider from tr, ca USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    I wanted to build a dedicated single speed and the frame was the perfect setup - I got it when it first came in - ebb, disk brake mounts, great finish, excellent Geometry. It's a blast to ride - handles well, looks cool,imo - what else can I say...it's a high quality reynolds steel frame, all the parts mounted to it and they are staying on great! And it was an incredible price compared to all the other dedicated ss frameset other than surly...and those...well, I pass. I like having a ss that everyone else doesn't have...yet.

Weaknesses:    Weakness? None other than would like to cut off the rear brake bosses because I use disks. I wish it were ti for the same price...

Bottom Line:
Honestly, it's been a great frame so far. The build quality is there, the matte black finish is really great, even the packaging in the box was well done. The ebb works very well - I already got another friend to convert to it - I wouldn't recommend something to him that wasn't a good product, otherwise I'll hear about it forever. For the price, you cannot beat the quality - it's easily worth $500-600 and I got it for $425.

Favorite Trail:   silverado, santiago truck, san juan

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   pretty much been a hardtail xc rider from the get go...sworks m2's have usually been my thing, a litespeed, but this is my first steel bike and it's been a nice change. This is my first ebb and it is incredible for ss - no more tensioner on the back, it is great!

Bike Setup:   full custom built single speed - 32-18 gears with fox fork 80x terra logic, race face cranks, xtr disks and wheels. 23 lbs - pretty nice bike. can I submit a picture?