Zion 660 EBB (frame) Singlespeed

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

• Same frame as the Zion 660, but with no derailleur hanger or cable stops for shifter cables (singlespeed use only)
  • ccepts 51mm International Standard disc brake caliper (rim brakes cannot be used)
  • Sturdy and lightweight double-butted chromoly construction
  • We suggest an 80mm fork for racing, or a 100mm model for a more laid-back, all day ride
  • Accepts standard 26" MTB wheels

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by kevinbobxc a Cross Country Rider from San Bruno, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, good geometry, responsive, convenient, EBB

Weaknesses:    Weight, poor eccentric bb material

Bottom Line:
    I had this before I swooped up on a Soma Juice. I had both of them set up singlespeed and I like the convenience of an eccentric BB. I had QR on my Juice and it kept slipping on those horizontal track ends. I ended up riding the Zion and parted out the Juice an shelved it for a year before I turned it on a 1X9. I like the simplicity of a singlespeed 29er. The EBB is great, I didn't have to tweak the calipers when putting the wheel back on. Also, the geometry is twitchy enough on tight corners. It's a bit awkward but that's a general 29er thing.

The only thing I didn't like was the aluminum piece inside the EBB squeaks after a wet ride. I usually just grease it up but it's not too bad. Also, the screws seized on me once and I almost stripped the bolt. Furthermore, sometimes the EBB is not centered properly but that's my bad.

Overall, it's a really nice frame for the price. I am very happy with it. Too bad Jenson doesnt sell it anymore.

Favorite Trail:   Waterdog

Similar Products Used:   Soma Juice

Bike Setup:   Fully rigid with IRD steel fork, avid bb7, LX cranks, WTB wheelset

Submitted by lucyfek a Cross Country Rider from lake co, il, usa

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2010

Strengths:    cheap steel frame, ride feels great, ebb, simplicity of rigid ss can't be beat - low maintenance, low cost, yet fast enough

Weaknesses:    ebb - some corners were cut - screw braze-ons are cheaply made - mine show cracks at the base, will replace soon with niner's bio-ebb (seems compatible, waiting for spring to mount it), even with this issue the bb does not seems to be affected (no creaks to speak of), somewhat inconvenient to adjust bb - from crankset side, very little crankarm clearance with bb size recommended for sugino ss crankset

Bottom Line:
    this bike will go anywhere you can push pedals, hop and go, some things could be improved (even at this price level) but overall it's great and gets better (tuned up) with time
    steel is great (though less flex at the head tube - especially for nashbar's frame - would be welcome, not sure if this is common thing for all large steel frames)

Favorite Trail:   anywhere that wheels keep rolling

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   made me to purchase nashbar's "orange" 853 frame (that one seems kinda flexy up front - size 21, will test it with rigid, shorter fork to determine whether it's frame or other element)

Bike Setup:   had it setup with czech made coaster brake (tried to cheat and used qr axle - almost worked, ran for 2500km before negligence in maintenance (bearing cone was loosening constantly) damaged it to the point where I gave up and got nashbar's ss hub with frame matching spacing of 135mm (nice, ss specific, dish-less wheel = stronger wheel, the freewheel mech could be better - almost too simple design, strong ratchets with only a ring spring (kinda weak), use just a drop of light oil in pawls sockets or it may fail to engage in winter), rigid dimension steel fork, etc ...

Submitted by kevinbuddy a Cross Country Rider from San Bruno, CA

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    Super cheap. Eccentric BB is the best. Steel frame

Weaknesses:    Slack geometry. Heavy. EBB creaks w/o proper amount of grease.

Bottom Line:
    If you want to build up a cheap 29er bike and don't want to deal with the BS track ends on other ss bikes. Its worth it. You don't have to keep messing with the rear disc when taking out the wheel. That's the situation with my Soma Juice, it might be lighter and nicer but the Zion's EBB makes it easier to take out the rear wheel.
    The bike handles pretty well, its not as snappy as my Stumpy on switchbacks but rides the rest of the singletrack ok. The bike rolls over stuff that takes some concentration to ride with my Stumpy. It just goes.

Favorite Trail:   WaterDog Lake

Similar Products Used:   Soma Juice

Bike Setup:   Rigid fork, Avid mech disc, Deore wheelset, Deore cranks.

Submitted by ProssX a Racer from Kansas City

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Strengths:    Classic XC race geometry. Steel.

Weaknesses:    ?

Bottom Line:
    I was skeptical, but had been thinking SS for awhile. Like many, I had a bunch of parts laying around and wanted an inexpensive path into an SS. If I didn't like it, no skin. However, this frame is damn good for the cash. I have nothing to compare it to sans an older Fisher Alum geared hardtail. Steel is so much better and worth the weight penalty. With a nice fork this bike is very fast and fun. I haven't touched my geared full suspension bike since and don't plan to until next year's race season.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   Old parts laying around + Fox Talas & Avid BB7s.

Submitted by Tyler Cannon a Cross Country Rider from Lake Forest CA. USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Strengths:    Ride Quality is very smooth and forgiving. Suprisingly clean welds for the price of the frame. Good looking color in flat black. Disk only.

Weaknesses:    Disk only.

Bottom Line:
    This bike is a great buy, If your looking for a quality singlespeed and you want to save your money for some nice parts this is the frame to get. Eccentric BB makes bike look very clean and smooth. This is an outstanding ride.

Favorite Trail:   Broken Arrow

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   On One inbred

Bike Setup:   crossmax wheels, Endless Bike cog, LX cranks, Avid BB7 brakes with Paul levers, chris king headset, thomson stem, ritchey seatpost, fizik arione saddle, salsa bars, maxxis crossmark sneakers, zion rigid fork or fox F80x.

Zion 660 EBB Frame

Anyone riding one? durability or know anything about them? they're on closeout at Jenson for 115 buks.Read More »

Got a Zion 21" 660 ebb frame what Fork do I need? Under $200?

I got a 21" Zion EBB. Can you guys give me some forks that will fit my frame!?! Need mucho help. :DRead More »

NEED HELP w/ Zion 660 EBB frame

I just picked up a 21" Zion 660 EBB frame for a steal of a deal ($115), at that price I could not let the chance to build up a SS bike. Problem is I have never built a bike before, but have some prior knowledge, so this will be my learning curve, I am using some of the parts from my previous Mongoos ... Read More »

Just picked up a Zion 660 EBB frame NEED Help fello experts!!

tire fit in 660 ebb frame

fyi i've found that the maxxis ignitor 2.35 LUST fits pretty well. more than most tires out there, this tire has a low sidewall relative to the tread footprint, and thus it works well on low-clearance frames like this one. plus it's an excellent tire for western US type of trails.Read More »