VooDoo Wanga One Singlespeed

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)
Weight : 4.3 lbs MSRP : $480.00

• Reynolds 631 butted steel tubing with head badge
  • Adjustable aluminum rear dropouts with built-in tensioners
  • Sloping top tube, extended seat tube, offset machined headtube
  • Detachable brake bosses

Submitted by maximo a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque,NM

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2011

Strengths:    Great geometry, very responsive, great looking bike,great value, and its steel

Weaknesses:    none yet???

Bottom Line:
Great bike Great value, Tons of fun

Favorite Trail:   windsor trail

Purchased At:   stevies happy bikes

Similar Products Used:   1996 kona kuelauea, yeti arc hardtail

Bike Setup:   thompson stem and seatpost, chris king headset race face bar and crank spot hubs salsa chanring 36t 18t freewheel, salsa chromoto rigid fork.

Submitted by Lehardy a Weekend Warrior from Lexington, KY

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2011

Strengths:    Handling. Light enough, stiff enough.

Weaknesses:    Paint: color and finish. Durability

Bottom Line:
Love it already, snappy and tight. Like driving a German car!

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Bike Setup:   Surly forks, avid bb7, SS, thud buster post.

Submitted by Cyclops a Weekend Warrior from Western Australia

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light, fast, beautiful to look at and better to ride. Most perfect geometry I've yet experienced yet, just awesome to ride you must ride one.

Weaknesses:    Paint, it's very pretty but uselessly soft. The rear adjuster thingies can move about, not enough to alter chain tension or geometry mid ride but enough to squeak a little to remind you to adjust them.

Bottom Line:
My poor Kona has been unused for nearly a year now unless I lend it out or take it to the bmx track. This Voodoo rocks, words cannot tell you how good it rides, or how smooth is is. You will need to borrow or buy one, you owe it to yourself to try one. Is red. Is rocket.

Favorite Trail:   Dwellingup

Purchased At:   E-bay

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kikapoo based home built, Haro V3, Kona Hoss deluxe, Giant Rincon, generic hardtails.

Bike Setup:   RST first air fork with lockout, Deore cranks, Magura clara front brake, tektro io rear/Avid mag speed dial. EA50 seat post, fizik seat, mavic 317/magura pro front, velocity deep vee/cannondale fire rear + Hutchinson Pythons. Hussar headset, Orbit headstem, Probar and pro-palm grips.

Submitted by cobym2 a Weekend Warrior from san juan, Phils

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    The ride: the signature steel ride is simply perfect. Snappy and responsive, but never harsh. It makes you want to stomp and go fast. Spot on geometry yields excellent handling whether for xc or aggressive trails.
Versatility: geared or single, you got it.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing can be improved, but no big deal.
the sliding dropouts will tend to slide a bit, unless you shave off the paint at the dropout area. Also, the tiny alloy spacer/plate will get deformed from all the tightening and loosening. I changed mine to steel and had no problems since.

Bottom Line:
Handles like a dream due to its spot on geometry. Snappy but forgiving feel. Great clean tensionerless look. Plus, the ability to run it geared if you want. But its a lot more fun SS. :)
This is a keeper.

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   local distributor

Similar Products Used:   Ive converted several aluminum frames, tried surly 1x1 and a niner too. This is the best so far.

Bike Setup:   Wanga 17", Fox VanR 100mm, Mary bars, Ringle hubs, Sun MachIV rims, WS spokes, Shimano Deore Hydraulic DBs, Chris king headset, Thomson post and stem, WTB saddle and Kenda/Geax/WTB rubber, depending on season

Submitted by dan a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle, australia

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    fast, fast, fast. This thing is quick. Steers quick, climbs quick. Has just enough flex to take the sting out of hits, but not to much to make it sluggish.

Weaknesses:    cable guides. Snappy handling will sit you on your ar$e if your not concentrating.

Have to take of the paint on the frame under the sliders to stop the sliders from sliding when you don't want them to slide.

Bottom Line:
super fast. More of a racing sser than a cruising sser.

you have no choice but to go fast on this thing. Did I say that it was fast. Angles are pretty step whcih accounts for the snappy handling.

Favorite Trail:   Glenrock

Similar Products Used:   gt Peace

Bike Setup:   hope hubs, Dt rims. Azonic bar, thomson stem seatpost xt brakes blackspire chainring, sheap as sprocket fox rlc

Submitted by JC a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Quality Steel. Perfect Geometry (In my opinion). User friendly/quality rear slider setup and dropouts.

Weaknesses:    Wish they made a SS only version to get rid of all the excess cable routing guides.

Currently very difficult to find. My LBS is a dealer and currently cannot get VooDoo frames. I had to go online. I would guess that customer service from VooDoo is poor at this point.

Bottom Line:
I am so stoked on this bike that I felt obligated to write a review. I looked long and hard at what SS I wanted. I looked at 29ers, 26ers, bargain basement and higher end versions of both. In the end, I went all the way back to the bike I originally wanted: The VooDoo.

I have been riding my SC Heckler exclusively since 99 and absolutely love that bike. I cannot believe it, but the SC has sat untouched in my garage since the Wanga arrived. I was very concerned about going to a hardtail after riding FS for so long, but the steel VooDoo frame is surprisingly comfortable, and the ride is crisp but not harsh.

Without going on and on, the bottom line is that in my opinion, VooDoo offers amazing, well thought out, quality frames and a very good price. I built the bike the way I wanted it and the frame was worth building up with higher end parts. They are somewhat difficult to find in the US right now, but Phat tire got me a frame in 3 days.

The next step up for me would be a Ti frame with the same build I currently have, but to be quite honest...I am happy where I am at.

Purchased At:   Phat Tire

Similar Products Used:   Tried various 29ers including Jamis Exile, but in the end 26' SS was the choice for me.

I also ride a 99 Santa Cruz Heckler.

Bike Setup:   07 Wanga, Marzocchi XC 600, Thompson seat post (layback)and stem, Azonic DW bars, King headset, Hopes laced to Mavic rims, Race Face Atlas cranks, Avid Juicy 5's.

Submitted by Perry a Racer from Tulsa,Ok.U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    The flexable ride steel frames provide.The geometry is perfect for tight singletrack in the woods or open country.Because of the sliding droupout the bottombracket has plenty of clearance.

Weaknesses:    ????????????

Bottom Line:
Singlespeeding is the wave of the future.Simple and basic.Build your own or buy one complete this bike is flexable fast and blast to ride.Now go get one.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone

Purchased At:   Adventure Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Home made singlespeed using a chain tensioning device on a steel hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Sid race,Thompson post and stem,Bontrager racelite seat,avid mechanical disc,American Classic singlespeed disc hubs,Stans tubeless system.

Submitted by thomas cummings a Cross Country Rider from fort worth,tx,usa

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    life time frame. can be easily change from ss to multi speed. adjustable rear drop outs for ss. light weigh for steel. excellent build quality. smooth ride for a hard tail.

Weaknesses:    my other bikes are getting little use while i ride this one.

Bottom Line:
i looked at on one,soma,surly,redline,and kona frames. i liked the price,materials,geometry of the voodoo wanga one frame the best. i switched the components from the kona 'A'
easily. RIDES AND HANDLES GREAT. very pleased with my choice. if you are looking for a steel ss hard tail this one won't dissapoint you.

Favorite Trail:   cedar hill