Trek 69er Single Speed Singlespeed

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

• Hydroformed bi-axial down tube and top tube
  • Forged horizontally adjustable disc dropouts
  • Front Suspension: Maverick Custom Double crown, 100mm
  • Wheels: Bontrager Race X Lite Single Speed; 29" front, 26" rear

Submitted by Japsel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, Stiffness, Acceleration, It's somewhat different

Weaknesses:    Comfort: It is quite harsh and stiff, plus you need to stick a fat (tubeless) rear tire to achieve some balance between the front and the rear.

Standard ISIS crankset which is flexy, and being ISIS does not last very long.

Bottom Line:
- Summary:
Very stiff and responsive frameset that excels in acceleration and cornering.
It is very well made, slider drop-outs make for easy chain tension adjustments.
(they are noticeably better made then the Marlin 29er SS)
Easy to unweight the front in order to get over obstacles. This also makes it a fun bike on pump sections or manuals.
The smaller wheel diameter makes for a fast accelerating bike which is always a good thing to have on a singlespeed.
Did I mention that it is a fast accelerating bike?

However, all that glitters is not gold.
Being very stiff means a harsh and unforgiving ride. The ride is also dominated by the wheel difference, This can be felt on certain trails or conditions where the rear does not seems to hold it's momentum.
I am thinking about sticking a 650b in the rear in order to get a more balanced ride.

The standard components are a not bad. The ISIS crankset is the only real letdown. It lacks stiffness and being ISIS it is not that durable either.

I bought a second-hand 21inch 2009 69er in November 2012 as a (cheap) winter / mud bike
The two-tone brown and black with the funky '70's graphics. It came without the Fox rp24 g2 fork. So I can not comment on that.

Components:
It was well used so I immediately replaced the standard cranks -which where worn and creaky- with some single ringed and bashed 180mm XT's. Also replaced the creaky Bontrager seatpost with a Thomson. Cleaned and re-greased the hubs and headset and put in a Niner Carbon rigid fork.
It still had the funky oviod shimano chain, and standard cogs. These where worn and replaced as well.

Wheels:
I do have some issues with the axle and fork drop-out interface. It has some side to side play, unless I pul the quick release REAL tight. I did have the same issue with my Bontrager RXL's from my Fisher 29er. Some combinations in fork axle don't play well together in terms of compatibility

Other then that, this wheelset is almost 4yrs old and they still are amazingly smooth, so kudos to Bontrager.
The duster rims were still true, and easy to set up tubeless with Bontrager own plastic rimtape.
I did not know what rimtape to use, so I experimented with a-symmetric and symmetric rimtape. Both worked, but the symmetric seems to hold air a little better.
I used Bontrager Mud-TLR's, and recently switched out the front for a beefier Continental Mountain King 2.4. In order to set this one up tubeless I needed to put some electrical tape underneath the plastic Bontrager tape.

Favorite Trail:   Bergschenhoek, Zoetermeer, Torsby, Laage Vuursche, Oostvoorne

Purchased At:   Parking-lot transact

Similar Products Used:   2009 Gary Fisher X-caliber 29er

Bike Setup:   Trek 69er frameset, Standard weelset (Bontrager race-lite hubs, Bontrager Duster rims)
Shimano XT 180mm crankset (single ring and bashguard, 34t Salsa singlespeed ring)
Token Bottom Bracket Cups
Avid Elixer CR brakeset
KMC singlespeed chain
On One Grove Armada cogset (20t)
Thomson Elite seatpost
Thomson Elite stem (90mm 5°)
Niner Carbon bar
Niner Carbon fork

Submitted by Bustedup a Cross Country Rider from Delaware, USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Strengths:    Fork, Best That I have ever riden. Can be adjusted for any rider with any riding style.I guess thats what you get with forks in the $1000 price range. Weighs 4 ponds

Weaknesses:    Seat was hard as a rock. It lasted 2 rides and I switched to a softer seat.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. There are 6 Mt. bikes in the garage.Two 20 year old kids living at home. The 69'r is the one that I ride the most. Fork is super plush and has a lock out that works good. It also has rebound adjustment by lock out on top right side for quick easy adjustments. This fork eats up everything. Stock tires work very good on both hard pack and soft damp trails.They also do good in mud(Good choice Trek). IT needs very little maintance(clean and lube the chain) and I love the no noise when riding the 69r single speed(No chain bouncing or sticks in rear derailer) Lock the fork and it goes right up hills. Fast on downhills, not twitchie at all. Inspires confidents. Looks awsome with lots of people wanting to check it out on the trails. My other bikes are collecting dust.

Purchased At:   From a friend that n

Similar Products Used:   Been riding full suspension for last 15 years. Schwin,K2,Fuji, GT, Iron Horse. all full suspension

Bike Setup:   Stock. XT pedals, switched the seat(softer) It is tubeless with stock tires an some kind of flat prevent goo. No flats so far 7 months. Excellent Juicy7 disc brakes. Almost all of the parts are bontragner race lite.

Submitted by Tom the bomb a Weekend Warrior from Alta loma, ca.

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2010

Strengths:    Super stiff bb, Best looking bike I have ever seen, 69r design, great chain tensioning design.

Weaknesses:    Maverick fork No comp damp or lock out .
Blew seals and had garage works work their magic , very nice, heavy 27 lbs with use sus seat post.

Bottom Line:
Fun bike , climbs well power to the dirt, geometry is good and great chain tensioning system . Don't have to deal with ebb. Wish it was 4 lbs lighter.

Favorite Trail:   Portal trail

Purchased At:   incycle

Similar Products Used:   lenz 29r behemoth

Bike Setup:   Stock with time carbon pedals and specialized carbon barends , mountain king rear tire.

Submitted by Longbow a Weekend Warrior from Denham Springs, LA USA

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2009

Strengths:    Without a doubt - the Maverick fork.

Weaknesses:    Though it looks good, the stock saddle. I only made a half of a day on my first ride & went to the nearest bike shop & replaced it.

Bottom Line:
I decided to dive into the world of single speed & figured that this bike would meet my needs. Plus, the dealer couldn't move it after 18 months, so I got it new for $1600. This bike has been a blast each & every time out. I like everything about the way it handles & rides, not to mention the remarks that others make after just one look - all good. I am looking forward to when the tires wear so that I can replace them with Nevegal's, but until then the Jones' are fine. I don't see me riding my geared bike anytime soon & even thinking of selling it - hooked on single speeding.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Azalea

Purchased At:   Trek Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500 hardtail.

Bike Setup:   I added Shimano SPD pedals (PD-M540) & changed the saddle to the Phenom by Specialized.

Submitted by early adopter a Weekend Warrior from phoenix az

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2008

Strengths:    geometry, 29er front, 26 rear, sweet, simple, best of both worlds, stiff, quick, front fork, awesome color and intimadating appearance.

Weaknesses:    front fork, a tad heavy,

Bottom Line:
I first demoed and then bought the 2007 full suspension 69er. I used it on my regular loop and the ride started to get too easy. Loving the 69er set up, I got the single speed and have not looked back since. The bike rocks. I am the envy of my friends. All have tried my bike, then purchased 29er single speeds to enjoy yet not as much as this one. The 26 rear really makes a difference in the tight turns and when powering up a climb. It also makes for a very intimidating appearance.

The fork is awesome, yet a bit temperamental, I did blow a seal which evidently happens more often on this fork than most others. It is still worth it as when it is dialed in, it is plush!

The bike is a bit heavy for a $2000+ single speed. The fork weighs a bit more than normal but worth it. With the ergon grips, computer, bell, XTR spd pedals and a bit of dirt, the bike weighs in around 24 pounds. (my full suspension 69er is 26.5 pounds).

Using this bike has made a better stronger rider.

Favorite Trail:   hawes/schultz

Purchased At:   mtbr classified

Similar Products Used:   Fisher rig-good. Fisher Super Fly Carbon - Awesome for full 29er.

Bike Setup:   stock plus ergon grips and converted the tubeless ready tires to tubeless.

Top Fuel 69er Single Speed

After 3 years on the white 69er hardtail, I stepped up to the Top Fuel frame with the help of a contact made on this forum. She rides fantastic! Even though I have her built up on the heavy side, she is fast and agile. The single speed was slapped on there because I didn't get to the bike shop ... Read More »

Trek 69er Single Speed vs. 69er 3*9

Hi, I ride the 69er single speed version (2009) . I really like the way this bike handles so I thought of adding the 3*9 version to the stable as my geared bike. So I went and took a parking lot test and noticed it ain't really a geared version of my single speed. First, the frame looks differ ... Read More »

Trek 69er Single Speed

For Sale - 17.5" - This is a like new Trek 69er single speed. It has less than 100 miles on it. It includes Oury MTB Grips, Straightline Brake levers, 18T rear cog and factory 16T cog. The front fork was tuned by Ethan at Maverick and is super smooth and compliant. Please email me for pictures or if ... Read More »