Surly 1x1 Singlespeed

4.7/5 (96 Reviews)

Here you find the venerable 1X1, the frame whose name is synonymous with singlespeeds the same way people call facial tissue Kleenex. The 1X1 was designed for 26" wheels, big tires, and single gear and cog drivetrains, like freewheeled singlespeeds, fixedgear, and even internal geared hubs. No derailleur hanger, no housing stops or line guides for derailleurs. The 1X1 is simple, durable and beautiful.

• Tubing: 4130 CroMoly steel. Main triangle double-butted. TIG-welded
  • Rear Dropouts: Investment cast Surly track dropouts, 135mm spaced
  • Braze-ons: 51mm disc tabs and removable cantilever bosses front and rear, rear brake toptube housing stops, seatstay mounted disc housing guides, fender eyelets front and rear, and dual water-bottle mounts
  • Tire Clearance: Room for 26 x 2.7" meat
  • Fork: TIG welded cromoly. Non-curved tapered blades. Suspension corrected for 100mm travel suspension fork. Line guides, 51mm I.S. disc caliper mount; rim brake pivots (removable post type)
  • Headset: 1-1/8" threadless

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bugly64 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2013

Strengths:    - disc and canti brakes
    - Steel
    - single speed

Weaknesses:    - Disc brakes mounted weird for removing rear wheel.

Bottom Line:
    I am so glad I finally got this bike. I am really looking forward to putting some semi fat tires on it. It handles all that I throw at it.

Submitted by Khakibikini

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    NIce and very compliant frame. Overall good quality and craftmanship. Nice paintjob. Extremely versatile. Rides like a really good XC-bike should.

Weaknesses:    None really. I have the older version which I have been riding since 2009 now and I´m thinking of buying the new one that takes a 100mm fork and doesn´t have the possibility to run v-brakes just to keep myself updated and I think it would look more "clean". The weakness with my frame is that is doesn´t take a 100 mm fork but I think Surly saw the problem before me.. Oh yeah the rigid fork is really stiff.

Bottom Line:
    I decided to write this review just because I always say that my old Surly 1x1 is "the worlds best bike" whenever i ride it. For the moment I´ve lent it to a friend and ride a more expensive and AM-oriented bike but I miss it really often and my friend loves it to even though it´s a little too big for her. She is maybe getting her own this winter as soon as the new version is out and I hope she does because I will get mine back and she will ride a really good bike that craves very little attention and handles great. I can just say if you think a steel 26er single speed xc-bike just might be your thing get the 1x1. I´ve had mine for four years now and I get online today just to write this bull#### to praise the bike.

Submitted by Elvis

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    Simple design, well crafted welds, clearance for really wide tires, takes disc, canti, or v brakes, handles well, looks cool, had a comfortable ride, climbs good, goes down hills good.

Weaknesses:    Shrouded rear dropouts (mine is an older model -- do new ones still have this?) made installing/removing rear wheel with open ended box wrench difficult. Wide tire clearance means stays stick out, so crank/bb choice is important.

Bottom Line:
    Got this thing from my friend's LBS as a frame only, and after a year or so lemme say I have a view of pluses and minuses.

First, what it is: A well made, inexpensive single speed steel bike.

This thing isn't untra lightweight, ultra cool, or ultra expensive. You kinda get what you pay for. I've heard people say its heavy. I read one review where I guy bent the fork and another where a guy had a frame break. While these are not good characteristics in a frame, let's remember we all have different view of JRA - just riding along. Hardcore jump guys could say they were "just riding along" when they took a header off a second story roof. A commuter who rides to-and-fro but doesn't hop anything more than acurb will have a different take on durability, as will a cross country rider versus a downhiller or freerider. To this, there is a reason why a lot of mountainbikes, except cross country, have suspension -- front and increasingly, rear. Bikes can break. If you're going to huck off a roof or down stairs, I wouldn't recommend this bike either, because that's not what it's for. You want an urban jump bike with a reinforced frame or a freeride bike with dual shocks.

What this is, is an affordable singlespeed handtail. A one-speed xc bike, basically.

I've used it around town, and taken it offroad. I like riding it on a mountainbike trail I know that has some downhill sections. This isn't downhill mountainbiking, per se, but you are going over tree roots and yeh it's bumpy. I need to loose a few pounds. Bike held up fine. Of course I added a fork -- a cheapo coil shock that set hard when on the street around town and loosen when riding on dirt. I've taken to the woods behind my house by the river (or did until the trail got wrecked), taken it on dirt roads and powerline trails, and on proper singletrack. Ther eis nothing this bike doesn't handle well on. Ok, maybe ice!

I couldn't find an affordable air fork with v brake mounts they are all disks, so I used a cheapo one that came off an emtry level Marin hardtail. Coil so it;s heavy. but it fits v brakes. And disk would lose my ability to run two rear cogs - 16 and 18, so I can switch if needed, on different sides of the rear wheel.
    I don't do "hard core" mountainbiking, but I've taken it to the woods often enough and bumped over enough stuff to know this bike pretty well.

In short, within the range of things it was designed to do, this is a great bike. It probably wouldn't make a great freeride bike. But it would probably make a poor time trial bike too!

Pros: Handling, low weight (for mid range steel), ability to mount 3 types of brakes. Bike also looks as slick as it rides. Can mount fenders -- I discovered a hole at right angles on the brake bridge. Great for mountainbiking or cruising around town. With different gearing and street tires would make okay commuter.

Cons:
    Wheel slippage: I tired a regular wheel with a single cog on the cassette body and spacers. It had a QR axle. The chain kept skipping. I looked and noticed I had to tighten the chain. I don't know if the wheel slipping was the fault of the wheel, the frame, or me (operator error). Still, it was a nuisance. Bolt on wheel which has had a hub rebuild have solved that.

That's about it. I can;'t say weight -- this is an affordable steel frame, and for that, it's plenty light -- or would be except for my cheap suspension fork.

I do with they came in more colors back in the day though. Saw an orange one the other day on the net and said, damn, how come I never got that....? Oh well.

Favorite Trail:   Lewis Morris out by Morristown, some others

Duration Product Used:   over a year

Purchased At:   The Bike Stand Scoth

Similar Products Used:   Sundry converted singlespeeds, various hardtail mountainbikes, my other mountainbikes, including my airborn hardtal 1x8, and my fully geared Raleigh talus 29er hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Cheapo front sus fork, no makle front hub and rim, red Origin 8 headset, v brakes from parts bin, riser bars, no name stem, 175mm 4 bolt cranks with a 34t chainring, mavic rear rim with surly doublesided single speed bolt on hub, 16t freewheel on one side, 18t freewheel on the other. Riding 34/16 now. 1.95x26" knobbies. Aluminum platform pedals.

Submitted by Thiuda a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2012

Strengths:    Strength, versatility, and ride feel.

Weaknesses:    After 6 months of riding, none.

Bottom Line:
    After my Trek 8500 frame cracked, I decided to go SS. A friend recommended the 1x1 and let me test ride his. Love on first ride. Migrated most of the parts from the Trek and ended up with a bike that handles well in every circumstance.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500/Redline Monocog

Bike Setup:   XT, DT Swiss + Brooks Professional

Submitted by Paul Miles

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2012

Strengths:    Bike rides great.

Weaknesses:    Frame failed horribly and Surly is making the warranty process exceed the cost of just buying a new frame with no guarantee of replacement. I purchased for the 3 year warranty & frame lasted 14 months or about 8 riding months here in Ohio.

Bottom Line:
    I will never buy or encourage anybody to buy another Surly product since they don't stand by their stuff, that simple. Quite frankly it really isn't safe.

Submitted by CakTinooz a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2012

Strengths:    Nice welded and paint job! I like this kinda a glossy black though ...

Weaknesses:    If you are using Disc Brake, it'll be little bit difficult to remove rear wheel. You must undo 2 (two) bolts on the rear brake caliper in order to remove the wheel.

What??! Heavy?? It's chromo dude ...

Bottom Line:
    I got this frame from friend of mine, so it wasn't new.
    It's my 2nd rigid (mountain) bike, the first one is an old Indonesian made rigid MTB called Federal, which is good but couldn't take a big rubber and solely using V-brake instead of Disc Brake.

On this 1x1 you can put anything you want. V-brake or Disc Brake, SS or IG or even RD+Sprocket with little modification on any RD.

Handling is good, not too stiff like an aluminum but not too soft like steel bike (my previous rigid MTB)

I put medium size tire, Maxxis Advantage 2.25 and front rack from Axiom bolted on front canti bosses, then it became my ATB, all terrain bike. I ride it everywhere, on road and off road. I put Surly Open Bar too ...

I sold my Giant Anthem after 5 month riding this bike.

More you ride this bike, even more you love this bike ....

Favorite Trail:   Serpong, Indonesia

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   From friend

Similar Products Used:   Federal Frame from Indonesia

Bike Setup:   Since I'm not ready for SS crosscountry, so I put 3x9 speed configuration.
    Mixed component of XT 9 speed Dual Control with XT rotor 6" rear+ 7" front, SLX Sprocket and Deore Crankset.
    Ritchey Seatpost and Stem with Surly Open Bar.
    Front Rack from Axiom.
    SLX Hubsets with camo Sunrims Singletrack with Maxxis Advantage rubber.

Submitted by sasquatch rides a SS a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2012

Strengths:    Geometry, weight, strength, fork, rear dropouts, versatility, big tires

Weaknesses:    If you don't like to have fun while riding, you probably won't like this frameset...

Bottom Line:
    I bought this frame when my older singlespeed frame broke. It was a frame that I had converted over to singlespeed, and even though I had been drooling over a 1x1 for years, I didn't have a need for one. When I first rode the Surly I wondered why I had ever messed with a conversion in the first place! This is by far my favorite bike. I don't even ride my Stumpjumper FSR that much anymore because of this bike. Building it was a breeze, however I do suggest having the headtube and bottom bracket shell faced (as you should with any new frame). Once built up there were no problems. The finish is flawless and the overall quality is superb. I thought I would have issues keeping chain tension with disc brakes, but I have had no issues. It climbs well, and decents fairly decent too. I'm about 210lbs while writing this post and ride pretty aggressively, lots of bunny hops, rocks, creeks, and overall carnage. The weight is awesome as well. With pedals, my 22" framed 1x1 is right around 25lbs...which is great in my opinion. I really like how the frame handles with the rigid fork, but I did opt for a suspension fork so my wrists didn't get as worn out. I thoroughly enjoy both rigid and front squish, however the rigid fork will be on the bike for all of my winter/snow riding.

Long story short, this is my favorite bike. It gets ridden, it gets beat up, and it's going to be with me until either I can't ride, or I get another one! I will say, strap a fishing pole to the toptube with a backpack full of stuff, and you can have yourself a great time.

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi M.U.S.S.
    Various converted singlespeed bikes

Bike Setup:   Rigid or Front squish
    Singlespeed
    Tubeless

Submitted by b0mb3r a Cross Country Rider from newark de

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2011

Strengths:    great geometry, steel, disk and canti brakes, inexpensive, fatties fit fine (up to 2.7 rear tire).

Weaknesses:    none that i can see

Bottom Line:
    I bought this frame because I wanted to try single speed. I thought I would be riding it casually, but that did not happen. This bike became my primary ride. It is simply too much fun. In end, I think it made me a better ride because I am more aggressive. I am attacking uphills now. This bike is not super nimble and sometimes it feels like a truck on tight single track, but that does not take away from it being fun. I run a 2.4 sized tire in the back, with lower pressure and the ride quality is similar to my KHS soft tail. I honestly could not be happier with my purchase!

Favorite Trail:   middlerun

Bike Setup:   1x1, Marzocchi Z1, Saint Cranks, magura rim brakes, cheap wheels.

Submitted by Ice-man a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    Simplicity, versatility, looks awesome, steel, Comfortable, absorbs a lot more than you expect it to, everything

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of except need special attachments or zip ties for hydraulic cable running

Bottom Line:
    I've wanted this frame for a long time and finally decided to buy one and I built it up with almost all high-end parts. What I ended up with is an insane single track destroyer that is very comfortable fully rigid. While all the other components perform very well, the 1x1 frame is so compliant in the right places and rides so enjoyably that it is the highlight of the setup (besides maybe the hubs!) It ended up being very light for a mountain bike ( feels like 23 pounds). I rip so hard on this thing it isn't even fair. I feel like I'm cheating using this bike. The fact that it cam be built as a commuter or whatever you want makes it even more amazing. I don't think I'll ever own another bike as enjoyable as this 1x1. Buy one and build it up however you want! Just don't do huge jumps and drops with it or insane downhill and you're good to go.

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill

Purchased At:   Second Ascent

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose aluminum ripper

Bike Setup:   20" frame, Phil kiss-off hubs, dt swiss spokes and EX500 rims, king headset, thomson x4 stem and masterpiece seatpost, silver eno cranks and 36t chainring, WI 18t freeweel, WI BB, ODI ruffians, Kenda small block 4 tires, Kona Wah-wah pedals

Submitted by PeteCress a Cross Country Rider from Paoli, PA USA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    - Rear fender/rack eyes do not allow a rack tb mounted if disc brakes used
    - No rack eyes up top under the saddle
    - Had to take it to a shop to get the BB shell faced and chased

Bottom Line:
    The price was right, but the rack mounting thing seems like a needless PITA: if they had just located the eyes properly...

Favorite Trail:   Valley Forge bridle paths

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Bike Setup:   Rohloff hub w/Surly's tugnut, Avid mech discs

Submitted by Captain Chaos a Weekend Warrior from Scotland, UK

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonably inexpensive. Extremely versatile, I can easily switch between slicks and knobblies and feel confident on the road or trails. The quality is high, nice welds, thick paint and nice detailing in the track ends etc. I like the ability to run V-Brakes, something missing from a lot of modern frames. I wanted to build a bike that was cheap to run and easy to maintain so V-Brakes were high on my list.

I like that the rigid fork is included.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    Simple, rugged, reliable!

10/10

Specialized Lo Pro Mag Pedals
    KMC Chain

Submitted by SuperCoolBiker a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL USA

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2009

Strengths:    The Surly 1×1 is a super rad machine. It can handle any trail and any condition. With fancy parts the bike can be built up as light as 20lbs and with regular parts it can easily be built up to be sub 25lbs. The frame is stout, stiff, and simple…everything I would look for in a mountain bike. The 1×1 can be setup using either the supplied Surly 1×1 rigid fork(or any other suspension corrected rigid fork) or a squishy suspension fork with 80mm of travel such as a Rockshox Reba or Sid. The rider also has the option of running either V, Canti, or Disc Brakes on the frame and fork. The frame-set is affordable in comparison to most other single speed frames and frame-sets on the market… the retail price of a 1×1 frame-set is $430 and a complete bike can be built up starting between 750 and a 1000 dollars.

Weaknesses:    What what? I suppose if you want to use gears the 1×1 would not be your cup of tea. The 1×1 can only be setup single speed, though it can be run with an internal hub such as a Shimano Alfine 8speed if you really need to get your gears on. Some might consider the 5lb frame weight as a weakness but the reality is that a 5lb frame is strong, not weak.

Bottom Line:
    The best way to describe how a 1×1 rides is: it rides like a bike. There is nothing special about its frame geometry or its intended use, it is meant to be ridden on and off road and can handle just about anything you can put under its wheels. If you like to ride… you will like to ride a Surly 1×1. It is very nice.

Favorite Trail:   Santos Vortex

Purchased At:   Super Cool Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Comparable products I have ridden include: Cannondale 1FG, Sano custom mountain bike w/ gears, and a Villin SS.

Bike Setup:   Surly 1×1 Frame and 1×1 Fork. Mavic 717 Ceramic laced to Paul High Flange front hub/ Mavic 717 laced to Paul WORD single speed rear hub. Paul Motolite V-brakes/ Avid Ultimate Levers. Moots Setback Ti Post. Ritchey WCS stem 90mm/ Answer Protaper 2? rise bar. Shimano XTR Pedals White Industries ENO Crank-set w/ 34t including matching Ti BB. White Industries 17t freewheel. Topped off with Kenda Smallblock 8 Tires and a Tioga Spyder saddle. The bike weighs just under 21lbs.

Submitted by Fred a Weekend Warrior from Lille, France

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2009

Strengths:    great bike : easy to handle, not heavy, "comfortable" steel frame, very good fork

Bottom Line:
    not expensive and really good : the best singlespeed frame in an entry price level...

Purchased At:   second hand