Spot MTB SS frame Singlespeed

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

This is the tried and true classic, 26" wheeled, single speed mountain frame that we have been building for the last 7 years. We use a mix of Dedacciai and Reynolds tubing to give the best ride to weight to price ratio and from the feedback that we receive, it looks like we have achieved that goal. These frames are designed to be ridden with an 80mm suspension fork but you can always ride them rigid if you are so inclined!

Our frames have a Dedacciai semi-ovalized down tube to stiffen the bottom bracket area. We use Reynolds top tube, seat tube, chain stays and seat stays to give a solid, responsive ride. We machine our own bottom bracket shells and dropouts, and use a DKG seat clamp... black of course!

There are a number of available options to go with this frame, which comes in 4 stock sizes (see the table below, plus our frame geometry page), or custom-sized to fit you perfectly. Our frames are painted with a single-stage wet paint and are available in 6 stock colors, or you can always opt for the flame paint job, or go fully custom where your imagination and/or your wallet are the only limits to what you can achieve.

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Preston, UK

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Strengths:    Quick enough for the twistiest singlestrack, but forgiving enough to ride for 24 hours solid without spitting you off. Cushy too if you run the chain with an extra two links.

Weaknesses:    When I got it in '98 there wasn't a disk brake option.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden and loved this bike for ten years. The only other bike I've loved as much has been my wifes red version.
It's been through at least two of everything except the rear brake and the Onza grips in that time. It's been used as my do everything bike (including BOB trailer towing), XC racing, and 24 hour solo attempts.

Anyone who likes surgical singletrack will love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Woodsy singletrack

Purchased At:   Bean Around The World, Vancouver, BC

Similar Products Used:   Dave Yates Diablo singlespeed + various 26" geared hardtails from GT, Rocky Mountain and custom built.

Bike Setup:   Pace RC-41 C-type forks (replacing Fox Float 100 RLC replacing Pace RC-31 rigids), turning on a Chris King headset. Turning forces pass through an Easton EA30 110mm stem, Race Face XC carbon bars and Specialized bar ends. The bars are wrapped in Onza Porci-paw grips.

Kore seatpost. SDG saddle.
Eno cranks/ring and Eno freewheel.
Mavic 571 rims on Hope ProII front and Spot singlespeed rear hub. Rims wrapped in IRC Mud Mad Tyres 11 months out of 12.
Hope Mini front brake. Shimano DX BMX brake at the back. Red, natch.

Submitted by Satan Spacemonkey a Weekend Warrior from Berkeley CA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, light, responsive and stupidly strong.

Weaknesses:    Decals were not clear coated, and the paint isn't great and is about par with some Tiawanese made bikes. Since I got mine originally in 1998 there weren't any options for disc mounts.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this bike for almost ten years, I've been through two wheelsets, two sets of cranks, three sets of brakes... and numerous bars, and stems and seats but the frame has remained the same. This was an early Spot made in Canada so I can't say what the new ones from Colorado are like but with any luck they are still pretty sweet. But with the change of the company's ownership it's questionable if weather or not the warranty will by honored by the new company. Hey, it's getting close to being 10 years old so I know I'm on borrowed time on this so any brake on this thing is going to be wear and tear and not a defect.

Compaired to the D.I.S.S. the Spot is more agile and a stiffer ride. Yes, I said stiffer but it's not going to kill you. The D.I.S.S. holds the line better than the Spot but the Spot is more like a surgical tool as opposed to the meat cleaver like ride of the D.I.S.S.

If broken I'll probably buy a Surly 1x1 because I can still use my Motolites and I won't have to buy a new roof rack tray.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel State Park - Santa Rosa

Purchased At:   $475 direct from Spot

Similar Products Used:   Prototype Bianchi D.I.S.S., production and D.I.S.S., frankenbike single speed from a converted Specialized Hardrock.

Bike Setup:   Paul Motolite brakes, Paul Shortie levers, Spot Hubs with Velocity rims (built by Mike G himself) , King headset, Salsa MotoAce stem, Easton bars and seat post, Syncros bb, Race Face cranks, Frog pedals, WTB crushed glass downhill seat, and SyCip segmented fork.

Submitted by Fat Tony a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent handling, superb crafsmanship, durability, stiff yet compliant ride

Bottom Line:
I am big guy [6'2", 250 lbs] and this frame has held up fine under me. There are no problems with BB flex and the frame is plenty stiff, yet compliant. The handling and fit are superb. With an 80mm fork, this thing is a singletrack fiend. The quality and crafsmanship are excellent: perfect welds, perfect alignment, perfect finish work, and perfect paint. This is a disc-only model with horizantal Spot dropouts and a slotted disc mount. This setup works perfectly with my Paul disc hubs and Marta 160's: no slipping and no problems removing the wheel. The zip-tie cable mounts route the cable perfectly. The seatpost doesn't slip either. What else can I say? I've been riding singlespeeds for over a decade, and I love this Spot more than any other SS I have ever owned.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Direct from Spot

Similar Products Used:   Rock Lobster SS, Blue Collar SS, Spot custom geared, Fat Chance Yo Eddy, WTB Phoenix, Kona Hot

Bike Setup:   Spot 21" disc-only SS frame, Fox F80 RLC, Paul/DT/717 wheels, Cinder 2.25's, Marta 180/160 w/ Goodrich lines, M900 XTR cranks w/ Phil BB, Atac pedals, Spot 34 ring, White Ind. 20t FW, King HS, Salsa Cromoto stem, EA50 riser bars, XTR post w/ Flite saddle

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2006

Strengths:    Several strengths make this my favorite bike to ride. It serves several purposes in my daily commute as a cruiser, townie and high performance mountain bike. The frame is very well made with perfect welds and attention to detail. It is a bike that is ready to race when you are!

Weaknesses:    Spot has a limited selection of colors and the wait is at least 6 weeks for delivery.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a performer not a talker. It can handle anything you put it through. It is a fun ride for the true Single Speeder and casual rider.

Purchased At:   BC direct from Spot

Similar Products Used:   Surley, red line, vanilla, hargadon, Dean

Bike Setup:   Frame size: 17.5, Spot hubs on Bontrager rims, spot tensioners, chain ring and guard, Bontrager bar, stem, post and cranks.

Submitted by Doc Joe a Racer from Litchfield Park, Arizona

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    Stiffer and lighter than would be expected for a steel frame. Climbs awesome. I'm making climbs on this frame that I didn't on my converted(singulator) ti frame. Had a custom paintjob that Spot and Rage made really easy.

Weaknesses:    Stickers are coming off the chainstay. Would like to see something on the headtube other than a sticker. With a 100mm fork the head angle is more upright and less "aggresive" so to speak-but I find this setup works very well for me. I race on this thing and can attack the terrain as much as I want to. On steep climbs I'm out of the saddle anyway.

Bottom Line:
this bike is my funnest bike-it simply doesn't know it's a steel frame!

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   titus mtb frame with singulator

Bike Setup:   King hub, mavic rim tubeless wheelset(awesome too), hollowtech shimano crank (stiffness a must with ss in the cranks), minute 2 fork, easton riser handlebars

Submitted by Matthew Page a Racer from Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2006

Strengths:    Very responsive, Ride quality is great, Compliant without being over-flexy.

Weaknesses:    Disc attachment not the best on the market, but it functions well enough for me.

Bottom Line:
Of the few bikes I own this is the one that gives me the most pleasure. The ride is amazing, springy enough without being flexy. Fantastic on singletrack.

A dream to ride. I'm so glad I bought this frame.

Purchased At:   Sideways Cycles

Bike Setup:   17" Disc only frame, Kona P2 Disc forks, Hope minis, CK Ti headset, 717/DMR revolver/DT rev, FSA Kforce post, 115XC stem, SLR saddle, carbon flat bars, Middleburn RS7 cranks, UNO ring. 32:16 gear.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Strengths:    This frame rides really compliant without feeling whippy. The geometry is on the faster side without being twitchy. Paint finish is great. Great company to deal with.

Weaknesses:    At the time I bought my frame the EBB option was Very expensive, I think this is no longer true.

Bottom Line:
If you like a rock solid, fun riding singlespeed without the non-sense this bike is for you. Nicer ride quality than a Surly, lighter too. This bike rails fast terrain, no need to think about turning, its telepathic. Michael at Spot is great to deal with . Spot is a very small, very successful company. Sometimes frame lead times can get long as the international pull of this frame is huge. It's worth the wait. One thing nice about dealing with a company like this is service. When my frame was finished with the welding Michael called me and we discussed colors and other options. Within a week of that call my frame was on its way. Its great to deal with a company that is totally focused on singlespeeds.

Favorite Trail:   Cave Run Lake, KY

Purchased At:   Direct from Spot

Similar Products Used:   Surly 1x1, On-One Inbred, several converted bikes.

Bike Setup:   Disc only frame running Avid's. ENO crank and freewheel. Paul Hubs/717 rims. Paul love levers, Thomson Post/Stem. WTB DH seat. Vicious fork.

SS MTB Racing Frame

I'm looking to do some racing in SS and would like to build up a dedicated SS frame. Anyone have suggestions? I'm planning to use it for the NUE series and a few XC races. Thanks! I currently ride a hardtail 29er that I race XC with. I race Cat 1, but the feel of SS has be drawing me in ever since ... Read More »

economy SS frame: cross or mtb?

where to buy an economy SS frame: cross or mtb? chromolly preferred. medium/19". i have XT/LX gruppo set and a Manitou coil fork from a whole spare bike, a Moab 3, to canibalized parts from, nearly new, to set it up with. i guess i'll donate the shifters, cassette, and rings. think i'll go ridgid ... Read More »