Soma Fabrications 4one5 Singlespeed

Our new single-speed hardtail frame. This detours from our "versatility is beautiful" mantra, but fun is beautiful, too. You can have lots of fun when you don't have to think about changing gears.

• Reynolds 631 air hardened steel front triangle; butted CrMo rear end
• Geometry designed to accomadate a 3" travel fork
• Int'l disc brake tabs (rear)
• Custom horizontal dropouts
• S-bend seatstays and chainstays
• Rigid CrMo steel fork available (specify canti or disc)
• 1-1/8" size headtube
• 27.2mm post size
• Colors: Matte Powder Black
• Wt: 4.5 lbs. (15")
• Sizes: 15, 17, 19, 21" (Center to top)

Submitted by Spencer a Cross Country Rider from Twin Cities, Minnesota

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very Strong, Clean design, Powdercoated paint is very durable, Great color

Weaknesses:    V-Brake posts aren't removable, fork that was sold with this frame didn't match (shiny black, not matte like the frame, a quick fix with a rattlecan solved this)

Bottom Line:
I went for this bike because I was looking for a strong steel frame that would last a long time. So far, I've got absolutely no complaints about the performance or the strength of the frame. My only annoyance is that the v-brake posts aren't removable which has no effect on performance but is just an aesthetic problem. I have taken several tough tumbles on this frame and have not been able to scratch the powdercoat yet. I would definitely reccomend this frame to anyone looking for an alternative to one of the other similarly priced steel framemakers out there. The rigid setup is not for everyone but, fortunately, the frame is suspension corrected for those who want some forgiveness in their fork.

Favorite Trail:   Lebanon Hills

Purchased At:   County Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rainier (2001), Surly 1x1, Kona A

Bike Setup:   Rigid fork, surly disc hubs laced to bontrager tubeless rims, bontrager race ss crank, easton EC70 seatpost, easton EA70 stem, Salsa ProMoto flat bar (11deg bend), Avid BB7 discs, Specialized BG2 saddle, lock-on grips, Crank Bros Candy pedals

Submitted by chris from st. louis mo

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Strengths:    Steel, Geometry, Price, Looks

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I was going to hold off on this review until I owned the bike for 3+ months, but I honestly couldn't wait to share the love.
This bike rules! I'm 5'10 260 lbs. When I crash it is a scene out of a Peter Jackson movie... So I had my first major wreck on my soma this past week. Tore myself up something bad. If this same wreck happened on my dualie, it woulda been in the shop, no doubt. (Actually, I have not ridden my dualie at all this year and I've been riding the soma at least 3x per week) Expecting that something bad happened to the bike I almost freaked out to find nothing wrong at all. Not even a friggin scratch. I'm not BS-ing. So here it is: It rides really nice. The geometry is great. It looks hot. I'm simply in love. If you are thinking about trying out a soma, stop thinking and do it.

Similar Products Used:   This is my first ss.

Bike Setup:   20" frame, surly fork, chain ring, rear hub, lx cranks, cane creek headset, fsa handlebar and stem, tioga factory DH, etc.