Redline Monocog Flight AL Singlespeed

4.67/5 (21 Reviews)

Submitted by Justinbunyon a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2010

Strengths:    Simplicity!
absorbs bumps like brawny paper towels
climbs like it just drank a redbull
Made me realize how much money I wasted on my scalpel

Weaknesses:    Made me realize how much money I wasted on my scalpel

Bottom Line:
This is my first 29'er and my 2nd single speed. Right away I noticed how much more I could do on trails that I regularly rode on a 26er (both SS and dual suspension). I have officially drunk (drank? drunken?) the 29er koolaid. If you're on the fence about it...BUY IT! I'm glad I did and I'm definitely going to keep it in the rotation. Additional upgrades lighter wheels, stans, and a better crankset. Keeping it rigid because I like the way it makes me pick a better line.

Favorite Trail:   any hardpack

Purchased At:   MTBR classifieds!!!

Similar Products Used:   1996 Cannondale converted to single speed....Not similar at all.

Bike Setup:   Avid BB7 discs, speed dial 7 levers, Tioga Spyder seat, Thomson setback post, Easton Monkeylite bars, Easton ea90 stem, small block 8 rear and ignitor front, sram grips

Submitted by motosportmeatball a Racer from Cape Coral, FL

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2010

Strengths:    japanese sanko tubeset offers quick geometry with a plush, forgiving ride, and reasonable weight for steel.

Weaknesses:    stock components are low end and quite heavy, which makes for guilt-free upgrades! lol!

Bottom Line:
this frame is AWESOME. i would have never given it a second look if it wasn't on sale ... i mean come on ... a redline? but i'm glad i did. my last XC bike was quite sophisticated, but i totally sucked at riding it. this redline, being singlespeed & completely rigid, is truly teaching me how to ride XC.

if you are reading this and considering a singlespeed, trust me: try this bike! even with the stock heavy wtb wheelset, this thing climbs like the space shuttle on liftoff. going tubeless shaves a whole friggin' pound (seriously) & makes climbing that much better.

i just had the bar cut down this week. handling is now spot-on.

don't be put off by the rigid fork, either. you don't have to have a suspension fork when running a 29er in XC. do yourself a favor & buy the carbon niner fork and save another whole pound. max flite saddle is pretty much like having rear suspension, btw. worth every penny.

bottom line: my redline monocog flight 29er is smooth, simple, quick & quiet. a great buy!

Favorite Trail:   Alafia, FL

Purchased At:   Paradise Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   nada! my first 29er.

Bike Setup:   stock blue redline monocog flight 29er frame (duh), white raceface deus crank & X type BB, (going on tomorrow!), crank brothers eggbeater c pedals, white niner carbon fork (in the mail ... can't wait!), ritchey wcs stem and seat post in wet white finish, polished alu surly seat post clamp, selle italia max flite gel flow team edition (boo yah), bontrager race x lite carbon 25mm riser 31.8 (chopped), red esi grips, crank bros cobalt sl directset, maxxis ignitors w/ stans no tubes kit. stock wtb rims w/ redline hubs (so far) ... any component not listed is stock, for now ...

Submitted by Dr_MurdocChongo a Cross Country Rider from Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent components, super strong frame, unmatched geometry

Weaknesses:    Some say the BB5's but i don't have a problem with them, took a little while to dial them in but hey, more time spent with my bike and less time spent with annoying mother-in-law

Bottom Line:
There must be a reason they nickname it "flight". This thing takes off (in capable hands). Gearing is appropriate for a beginner. The component group is excellent in my opinion, you don't need the most expensive and popular components for it to be a great bike. Never thought I would like a rigid better than a suspension. Not very much I'm going to change at least for a while. In fact, I haven't had the need to upgrade it, IT upgraded my riding skills. If you are thinking about your first SS, truly consider this nice piece.

Bike Setup:   09 Monocog Flight stock, upgrades: bottle cage

Submitted by stubecontinued a Cross Country Rider from Sactown, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Super good deal, Great frame, wheels have held up decently

Weaknesses:    Cranks- Al threads stripped easily

Bottom Line:
Great versatile bike! has served well as a fixed gear city bomber w/ 1.25" tires, SS commuter. Super fun rigid bike on the trails too, fast on rolling single track, fun to jump on the trail and roll over logs, light-ish, pretty burly bike.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls, Auburn trails,

Purchased At:   Patriot Bicycles, Fa

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Yakuza, SE OM flyer, Giant Rainer, Specialized P1

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1 fork, WTB shadow V saddle, Oury grips, Tomicog Disc mount Fixed cog, surly cog, cane creek s8 headset, stock brakes, stem, wheels, tires, seatpost

Submitted by C Jewell a Cross Country Rider from Muskegon, Michigan, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2009

Strengths:    The bike holds up really good when I am in the trails it is not like my old bike that shakes and clicks

Weaknesses:    Nothing wrong with it

Bottom Line:
I love how light it is and how fast because when I go through the tight fits I can go fast through there and any other bike I had I had to slow way down to fit through there.

Favorite Trail:   Gravel Pits

Similar Products Used:   No bike this good

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by CJNickell80 a Cross Country Rider from Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    Nice and rigid frame, good tires, good wheels.

Weaknesses:    Crankset is not very strong.

Bottom Line:
I'm not a very big person, I only way about 130 with my gear, but I was just going and broke two bolts, snapped the chainring in half, and bent the arms the chainring are bolted to and didn't even hit a rock going up a hill halfway through the ride and had to walk the whole way . Now i'm going to get the FSA single speed crankset. But love the bike other than that.

Favorite Trail:   24 Hours in the Old Pueblo Race Track

Purchased At:   Sun N' Spokes

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit 2-9

Bike Setup:   Reba Race Forks, Shimano clipless pedals, and Sette bar ends, but everything else stock.

Submitted by mark a Cross Country Rider from los banos, ca, usof a

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    the frame!!! rigid and lite w/ enough flex to dampen the ouchies

Weaknesses:    the crank set is just ok, bb is just ok, headset is garbage, but what was i expecting from a $700 dollar bike

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike for the money and totally upgradable. If you didnt want to have to upgrade this bike then you should have just bought the frame and components seperately but then youd end up spending a fortune counting grams. In summary, it gets you on the road with a pretty good bike at a pretty great price. After investing a little money time and tlc you will have an awesome performer with a light and comfortable frame!

Favorite Trail:   canal trails

Purchased At:   fast bicycle, san jose

Similar Products Used:   specialized and giant

Bike Setup:   stock except for easton monkeylite xc carbon rizer bars

Submitted by Todd a Racer from Seattle

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Loosk Nice. Rides Nice. It is nice. The fit is awesome, the fork is a dream and I love the BB7 brakes.

Weaknesses:    Weight of frame. It is no Easton Ultralite, but it is steel, and it's a super-deal.

Bottom Line:
The guys at Revolutions Cyles here in Seattle were the best to work with. I looked at A LOT of stock SS bikes. The Redline was certainly the best deal. I started with the idea of the stock bike with a Reba fork. I am not ready for a SS rigid, maybe someday. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to upgrade parts for racing. When all was said I done I have a fast rolling, good looking, one-of-a-kind bike. The stock bike w or w/o suspension would be an awesome weekend warrior bike.

** With just two rides, and one of them a race, I'm hooked-on-phonics for SS MTBs. Fix it and foget it.

Favorite Trail:   Plains of Abrahams

Purchased At:   1500

Bike Setup:   RockShox Reba Team / FSA Carbon / Truvatic Stylo / Avid BB7 / Shimano LX Wheelset

Submitted by Jamie a Racer from Butler, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    accelerates great. responsive handling. lightweight. climbs like a beast. very simple and minimalist.

Weaknesses:    i doesnt clean itself

Bottom Line:
sweet bike. cheap price tag and it smokes even the guys with gears.

nice and simple and it puts all my other bikes to shame.

Favorite Trail:   Bavington

Similar Products Used:   its my only SS mountain but i have a sweet soma prestige road bike i converted.

Bike Setup:   all stock except shimano pedals and panaracer XC tires.

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the money, light frame, nice geometry, decent component selection, cool paint job

Weaknesses:    Headset could be better, cranks are flexy

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great way to get into the single speed market. I considered the regular steel Monocog but the Flight was speced closer to what I would have upgraded to anyway. The bike is light and responsive. The part spec is a great starting point since things like saddles, tires, etc tend to be personal choices. The only parts I will upgrade soon because I am truly not happy with them are the headset and the cranks. The price truly can't be beat, sure its not a botique bike or a flashy name but you can pour your saving into dialing the bike in.

Favorite Trail:   Allaire

Purchased At:   Padi's Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   Nishiki Cascade, Giant Anthem

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Shimano 647 pedals, WTB Weirwolf 2.5 or Mutanoraptor 2.4 up front depending on my mood, WTB grips, Rocket Race saddle, Avid 7 V brakes

Submitted by Joe a Cross Country Rider from Carlsbad, CA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, handles great and is fun to ride...also builds a serious set of legs when it's your only mtn. bike

Weaknesses:    Wheels only lasted 4 rides.

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike, It's the only mtn I bike have and the only one I need right now. After you learn how to ride it, it's fun to pass geared suspension bikes up and downhill sometimes. Or if you have a geared suspension bike you should at least try a SS once..

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   None needed

Bike Setup:   Easton EA70 Stem, Easton Carbon DH bars, King head set, Avid BB7's, King hubs on Mavic 819's, XT cranks, Race Face rock ring....I'm running out of parts to change...maybe a fork next.

Submitted by Tyler from Skagway, AK USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    Light! Stiff! Rigid! sealed parts and ritchey extras.... disc ready to boot

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This bike is a breath of fresh air after hauling around a 38 pound all mountain prophet. It is way rigid and took some getting used too but soo much fun! Take twice a day and watch your legs grow!

Favorite Trail:   lower dewey

Purchased At:   Sockeye Cycle

Similar Products Used:   First single speed

Bike Setup:   Stock plus Avid BB7 mech. disc brakes, Surly tuggnut chain tensioner/bottle opener, salsa grips, mallet c pedals

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Coleville CA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, simple, rugged.

Weaknesses:    Paint scheme.

Bottom Line:
Love it. I'm new to SS but what a way to get into it. The dimensions are just right for the varied terrain in the eastern Sierra's and I hardly miss any suspension even with the alum frame. It's more agile and as aggressive as my Scalpel and goes anywhere. Had some issues with the rear cog being crossthreaded, but since the repair it's juuust right. Can't rate the stock parts, but outstanding with the stuff that came with it. Overall great deal and such a good ride and feel, I'm just upgrading/personalizing some parts and keeping the rest of the beast for racing! Lot's of flaming turds. Semper Fi.

Favorite Trail:   Sonora Pass