On-One Sliding DropOut Inbred Singlespeed

4.76/5 (25 Reviews)

The on-one Inbred is designed as a bike for riding. No fancy clever bits, just engineering plain and simple to do the job. It excels in grotty conditions where it's no-nonsense construction lets the rider get on with riding. We've used our custom picked blend of DN6 aerospace 4130 chromoly to give a great ride with our unique rear triangle design to maximise lateral drivetrain stiffness, but not at the expense of vertical compliance and frame comfort. It's a different way to do it, it's not suspension, but it works.

DN6 tubing throughout. Track dropouts, mudguard and carrier mounts, bottle bosses.

Submitted by JOwens14 a Cross Country Rider from Lynchburg, VA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    GREAT, compliant frame that can take almost anything you throw at it. With a nice long top tube, it'll stretch you out, but with a 70deg. head tube angle, you have the added benefit of stability on the wild declines and technically sections. Frame is very strong, with obvious welding, making a kinda-cool utilitarian look. I'm running the slotted version now, but ran the 456 last year and liked it as well.

Weaknesses:    As others have mentioned, getting BB7's on there is a major chore. The paint is flashy, but only OK with durability.

Bottom Line:
Great great frame for your money. At 5 pounds, it tips the scale a bit more than more race-oriented XC frames, but if you're looking for a ride that will last forever and take anything you can throw at it, I highly recommend this one. The guys at On-One (or Unreal Cycles) are great to deal with. I run a 120mm up front as per the old website's recommendation - however the most recent website update (stupid CEN testing) states it's for 100mm MAX. I love the feel of 120mm though and doubt I will be dropping down to the squirrelly 4 incher anytime soon.

Favorite Trail:   Candlers

Purchased At:   Unreal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   On-One 456, Fetish Cycles Fixation, Jamis Dragon, Sette Reken,

Bike Setup:   Hope/Mavic Wheelset, RS Reba XX fork, Easton EA70, etc.

Submitted by steelsingle a Cross Country Rider from Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2010

Strengths:    Dynamic Geometry
Excellent Welds
Flexible Frame
Cheap (more expensive to get it shipped to U.S.A From U.K)

Weaknesses:    Paint Chips easy
Avid BB7 don't work perfectly on the frame.

Bottom Line:
This Frame begs to be ridden hard, fast and put away dry. Takes jumps and drops like a champ and never misses a beat.
If you want a great hard tail frame to custom build on a budget this is it. If you want a great bike to custom build without a budget this is it. All around awesome.

That inbred dude is pretty cool to.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia River State Park

Purchased At:   On One

Similar Products Used:   Surly 1x1
Specialized Rock Hopper

Bike Setup:   RS Pike 454 Coil Fork
Avid BB7
Easton EA70 seatpost, Handlebars, 100 mm Stem.
White Industries Eno SS Crank
UN54 BB, Shimano 16 Tooth freewheel, PC1 Chain
Panaracer Fire XC Tires
WTB speed saddle
Mix and match mavic surly, DT swiss Hubs, spokes.
Cane Creek 110 Headset

Submitted by Saffhag a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Compliant strong frame. Great sizing (18/Med is a spot on fit for me at 5,11). Frame offers excellent stand-over clearance and the lengthy top tube really warrants a short stem, unless you intend to adopt a more stretched out "XC racing" position. I purchased the QR Chaintug and it works well. I have no problems keeping the chainline true and I'm 190lb and ride quite hard. The bike can be bought as a complete unit for cheaper than you could build your own, if that’s what you need.

Weaknesses:    None as yet really. As with most new frames, you will need to face bb shell, headset and break mounts (if your using hydraulic breaks) as the paint on my frame was quite thick around these parts

Bottom Line:
I initially bought this bike piece by piece to build into a training bike for the winter. Since I started to ride it, I have had so much fun that now I take it with me to some of the bigger, all day, rides with more climbing involved. I carry a selection of sprockets to cater to the climbing involved. Its just good to hammer past other riders on the trail and watch their expression as they realize your on a singlespeed.
Just buy one and give it a go. You might just get hooked!

Favorite Trail:   Lake District (various)

Purchased At:   On-One

Similar Products Used:   I have only ever converted my old alloy hardtail bike (Spesh Stumpy) to a singlespeed so the ride difference is amazing. The old Stumpy was so harsh by comparison.

Bike Setup:   Reba WC fork 100mm travel (nice Carbon crown & Steerer). FSA XC Riser Bars. FSA Carbon Seat Post. Old XT HTII Crank Arms with On-One 32T S-Steal Chainring. On-One 16T sprocket & spacer kit. XT Hydraulic Stoppers. On-One 60mm Stem. Hope Pro 2 Hubs & DT Rims. Inbred Saddle. Continental 2.35 Tyres

Submitted by sgooch627 a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    Great single speed bike!!!! I made only 2 adjustments to the stock bike...put on a bolt on rear hub to stiffen up the back end and a Fox fork for some plushness (over the carbon front fork)...lastly, I took of that strange shaped handle bar called a "Mary Bar" - some people may love it I on the other hand can't get comfortable riding with them...other than that this bike is a FUN (i stress the fun) bike...it's like having a big BMX bike in a 26" package....takes me back to childhood!!

Weaknesses:    I swapped out the original QR rear skewer/hub in favor of a bolt on....the original QR kept loosening up and I ended up bending the skewer...now with the bolt on hub I have no complaints. Also, the carbon front fork that came with it was super light but I like the plushness of a suspension fork so I swapped that out as well. Anyone looking for a "like new" carbon fork??? Oh and before I forget...I swapped out the Mary Bars for a carbon Easton set.

Bottom Line:
Great bike...be ready to make a few minor adjustments to suit your needs but the steel frame is amazing and the rear tire clearance is more than many 6inch dual suspended bikes...this bike can be set up to be an amazing geared ride as well but I will keep is as a single speed...its like having a BMX bike for adults...tons of FUN!

Similar Products Used:   1st single speed bike and no regrets

Bike Setup:   In-Bred 26" stock bike...replaced carbon fork for a Fox Float fork....swapped Mary bars for Easton carbon risers...and replaced QR hub for a WTB bolt on hub (what a big difference that makes)

Submitted by ptplano1977 a Weekend Warrior from san luis obispo, ca

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Everything! ...the bike responds perfectly to my riding style. Also, the bike is just an eye-catcher. Plus riding an SS, I don't feel like a wuss like other geared riders.

Weaknesses:    Nothing really.

Bottom Line:
I love my inbred, and will never go with another brand...EVER AGAIN!!! The rigid ride, actually made me a better rider. I especially noticed this when I put my suspension fork on. It is super light and totally the envy of a lot of riders I have come across. In fact, several had bought On-One Inbred's shortly after coming across mine. Bottom line, is that it's a SWEET bike, and I have no regrets...and it will take ridiculous abuse and still smile at you, after you have a terrible wreck.

Favorite Trail:   Lunch Loops, Grand Junction CO

Purchased At:   On-One

Similar Products Used:   None similar...I also have a Bionicon Edition Limited I, and it's collecting dust.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi xc 700 fork, Hayes hfx 9xc disc brakes...everything else is stock.

Submitted by afcraver a Cross Country Rider from salem, va, US

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    single speed. This is my 2nd ss and the best. I bought it stock complete 2 yrs ago and everything still works great. I have changed parts, but only because i wanted to, not because I had to.

Weaknesses:    the only problem i've seen is where the top tube mounts to the head tube there is a re-enforcement gusset and i've noticed some rust stains coming out from under it.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike and my Kona Kula w/ full XTR and a SID race fork sat in the corner. I just got sick of riding my Kona for 2 hrs and tuning and cleaning finniky 9sp gears/derailers for 3hrs. Now I ride my full rigid inbred, set it in the shed when i'm done, grab it the next week-end and ride some more. As Leonardo DaVinci said- "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"

Favorite Trail:   carvins cove

Similar Products Used:   jamis, kona

Bike Setup:   stock for the most part. I put an 18t free-wheel on, some 2.3 tires, and a different bar & stem.

Submitted by olderigetbetteriwas a Cross Country Rider from brisbane, queensland, australia

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    awesome geometry
solid chuckable frame
astounding value for money

Weaknesses:    finishing of the head tube (to seat the headset) & BB threads could be better

Bottom Line:
got an earlier frame (2004?) with the non-suspension-specific front fork which really lowers the whole top tube without compromising frame angles. set up with a short high stem & riser bars so super capable for all riding terrain assuming legs can push the gear. ya don't need suspension and ya don't need gears. buy it

Similar Products Used:   merlin, trek, giant

Bike Setup:   on one 2004 slotted frame
on one rigid forks
xtr v-brakeset
surly hubs with sun rhyno lite rims
raceface cranks 2:1 ratio
terry fly saddle

Submitted by paps a Cross Country Rider from Heraklion, Crete, Greece

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2008

Strengths:    Geometry, clean lines, tire clearance, cheap

Weaknesses:    cable housing(not much of a prob though esp if u ride ss)

Bottom Line:
Great ride, i really like the longish tt that with the short stem gives the bike super responsiveness, steel frames much sweeter than alu. overall well thought bike with a fun element injected somewhere in the tubes

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   none similar

Bike Setup:   Vertical dropout version converted to ss this season, On-One rigid fork, hope/mavic wheels, schwalbe marathon supremes(great tires!), mech discs, 38/14 gear ratio

Submitted by rockinrod35 a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    Good quality, neat welds and quality finish, nice riding frame for the money. Longish top tube for 18". Smooth riding, stable bike with nice bit of spring and shock absorption feel to frame. Slot drop-outs and brake caliper mount design does not give any problems with wheel slippage. Loads of room for fat tyres.

Weaknesses:    No probs so far...maybe some more color options?

Bottom Line:
Really like this frame. It surprised me with its ability to soak up trail chatter (much better than my old aluminum hardtails) and is a good xc all-rounder. Climbs and descends well. I am 5'10" and I chose this bike for the longish top tube, 23.7". Real fun bike, love the steel frame. My other bike has sat in the corner since I got this frame.

Purchased At:   PPoint

Similar Products Used:   Two Alu xc hard tails and a few xc full sussers.

Bike Setup:   18" slot drop out frame, Fox 100RLC, Juicy 5 brakes, Salsa pro-moto 17 deg carbon bar,120 mm stem, Hope/DT Swiss wheels with spacer kit and 32/18 Blackspire/kickass rings, Crossmark/Python.

Submitted by nathan gould a Cross Country Rider from cambridge

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    lush ride, long tt, fast and stable, abilaty to take gears and be a ss

Weaknesses:    mech hanger.... ya cant get rid of it.
the bb shel had weld init so had to cleen and tap it
the hedset was a total s@!t to get in
all small things that ae esaly sorted tbh

Bottom Line:
this is a bike for the single track lover and phyco daytriper however i have done a race cors with it alredy and its totaly fine for that..
its stable fast forgivin but with pin handling and mental pikup.
iv had a fue good bike like gary fishers, oringe even dmr frames and its safe to say this is without a dowet the best bike iv ever had to ride. i comute on it aswell and love it on the road its just the tits of a bike tbh

a breth of fresh air comperd to the whipets im ust to and its beter than them in evryway

after sales is ok there is a big comunaty on onones site and flickr aswell with help and for rums should i need it.

the mager shame of this brand in the man who runs it is a bisy chap so you get a propa inpersanal service wich anoyed me tho i understand he is run off his feet somwhat.

and the ather mager thing that hakt me off was the state of the frame wen i got it bb shel hedset i had to sraten the dic mounts and all sorts nun of it a mager isue but y did i have to do it?!

ill buy anuther one tho and one for my girlfrend and the ti inbred wen it arives there cos i love em so yeh buy one boys n girls its the best frame by farrr

Favorite Trail:   thetford

Purchased At:   on one

Similar Products Used:   trek 69 ss thing
surly
etc

Bike Setup:   thomson stem,post
hope hubs on mavic freride rims
r.s. pikes wound dowen to 130mm
estern ec 70 bars
xt chainset
sram lightwate chain
conty tyer and spuds

Submitted by Richard Tinley a Cross Country Rider from Lymington, Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    Price, Well thought out, Mary Bars, Ladybird bell!

Weaknesses:    Chain Tugs/Rear skewer

Bottom Line:
The bike has a great springy frame with good geometry. The Carbon forks have taken some serious abuse and take the worst out of rough terrain. The bike handles well, is fairly light and great fun to ride. The handlebars are a fantastic idea. I was very skeptical at first, but thought I would give them a go. They are brilliant for single speed use, when you have to really stomp up hills, the raked back angle really helps you to efficiently use the strength of your arms. The Avid brakes are a bonus. On the downside, the rear wheel adjustment is a slight pain. Only a tiny amount of error and the disk brake rubs. The supplied skewer is not strong enough, so I replaced it with a Mavic skewer. The chain tugs supplied have not got long enough bolts, allowing less than a half link of adjustment! This is a bargain bike that makes a good single speed starting point... but don't expect good after sales support at this price!!! And expect to tinker with the rear wheel alignment/chain tension before every ride.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Skyline

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona, etc., etc.

Bike Setup:   Factory except Panaracer Razor Tyres and Stans No Tubes, Mavic rear skewer, modified chain tugs, Surley rear sprocket, KMC 1/2 link chain.

Submitted by Chris Price a Racer from Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2007

Strengths:    Steel. Little inbred fellow on seat tube.

Weaknesses:    No disc tab, but I have an older model.

Bottom Line:
So awsome. When i get on it, i get a big smile and just want to rip. I have 12 years or so of racing and riding behind me. Of the 20 or more bikes I have had, this is on my top two list, next to the Klein Attitude. Its nice and laid back. Climbs awsome, smooth ride, eats rock guardens for lunch. My only beef is my own fault, and that is i am running a 100mm thomson stem. 80mm would be more ideal, but i had the stem before the frame, and i am in no hurry to go spend that kind of money on another one right yet. I have raced it in quite a few races in the last two years, and it rocked the trails all the way. Two 8 hour solo races, a 4 hour solo, and 8 or 9 ragular xc races. Even raced a short track series last spring. Aside from racing, you can go out on the sunday morning ride, and have a blast just screwing around in the woods, or head out some fire roads and get lost for the day. Like a true Inbred this bike belongs way out in the woods.

Favorite Trail:   French Cove

Purchased At:   www.bikeroom.com

Similar Products Used:   Soul Cycles Rufus. Frame failed on 5th ride.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Marithon xc, King headset, thomson stem and post, Easton monkey lite bar, white SLR saddle, XTR cranks, avid bb7 front, SD7 rear v, paul love levers, DMR hubs, rhyno lites.

Submitted by christopher a Cross Country Rider from flagstaffrica, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2007

Strengths:    STEEL! What a ride compared to my old s-works HT. This frame feels alive, and it is much lighter than Surly's beefcake SS frame. The TT is long enough that I chose the 18" frame, even though I stand 6'2. I bought the frame only and built it as a heavy-duty XC bike with 120mm of travel and a bit of a set-back riding position.

Bottom Line:
My favorite bike, period. I can commute, bomb down some free-ridey-type trails, blast over open XC, jump, climb with ease, and even keep up with my friends on dually AM bikes on most downhill sections around here. I am confident enough on this rig to take on most log crossings and other stunts, this is my do-it-all-go-to-bike for everything.

Favorite Trail:   dingleberry

Similar Products Used:   Surly SS, old Gary Fisher aluminum HT converted to SS...

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 120mm XC fork, Mavic Crossmax XL ceramic front wheel, King SS/ M717 rear wheel, carbon riser bar, Truvativ SS crank, sub-23 pound steel bike with 2.1 tires!

Submitted by brian parsley a Weekend Warrior from kendallvile,in.usa

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    great geometry, especially the long tt. exceptional quality at an affordable price. great on the tough climbs.

Weaknesses:    color availability, only offered in white and possibly green.

Bottom Line:
this is only the second ss i have owned, if something happened that i had to replace it i would without hesitation. i haven't had the geared bike on the trails since taking a ss for a trial ride 4 years ago.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   direct from on-one

Similar Products Used:   i only have owned one other ss, it was a jamis dakota. it was actually a conversion. it doesn't compare to the handling of the inbred.

Bike Setup:   kona project2 rigid fork, thomson post and stem, monkey lite bar, white industries 18t rear gear, hutchinson spider airlight tire's(they're awseome).

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Strengths:    sweet handling, inexpensive, looks good, long TT, lots of standover, sliding drops

Weaknesses:    not your Ventana welds, it would be good in the sliders had a little more range, to eliminate the need for 1/2 links.

Bottom Line:
I used to think this SS stuff was ridiculous. The I tried a friend's SS Chameleon & thought 'hey, this is fun'. I converted my Dean Duke to SS & found that the geometry was not well suited to SS. The TT was too short. After much research, I settled on the Inbred, largely because of the long TT & low standover.
Turned out to be an excellent decision. It's built up with a mismatched mix of parts. Big tires & a travel-adjustable fork. I run the fork in the middle for twisty ST & drop it to 5" for the gnar. Turned out to be too much fun - I broke my ankle on its maiden voyage. I prefer to think that it was because of the new Time Aliums rather than rider error. Nevertheless, the Aliums have been banished to the road bike & replaced with ATAC carbons.
This baby rails the ST with a 4" setting, climbs nicely with a 1" setting, and handles stably at 5".
My Dean, which is a really great bike, is back to geared & collecting dust.

Purchased At:   zedsport

Similar Products Used:   Dean converted to SS, SC chameleon SS.

Bike Setup:   18" Inbred, sliding drops, Minute 3:00 fork, BB7's, Nevegal 2.35's

On One Inbred 456 vs. Inbred sliding dropout

Anybody ridden both? Doesn't seem to be a huge difference geometry wise between the two. I'm looking to replace my "freeride" aluminum hardtail which is sitting around gathering dust. I'd be riding the same trails I ride on my Trance X, fast and technical, not hitting any drops or jumps. The 456 ... Read More »

SPAM: Now I've gone and done it - 18" sliding dropout Inbred for sale!

I've decided a smaller frame size (16" Inbred or something similar) will be a better fit for me, so my 18" frame with extras is up for grabs. If you are close enough and are interested in the whole bike, I would consider that as well. Or if you have a 16" that feels too small we could do a frame s ... Read More »

SPAM - On-One Sliding Dropout Inbred For sale

Ad paid for: Really nice frame/fork/headset. I decided just to keep my Spot. Someone's getting a nice deal. Let me know what questions you have. I'll have pictures to share tomorrow. [url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=3811&cat=7[/url] Thanks for looking, Mello ... Read More »

Question for Sliding Dropout Inbred Owners

I'm thinking of building a sliding dropout On One inbred into a rigid daily commuter. I haven't aquired the bike yet. However in my scheme, I would want to build it up with disc brakes, fenders and racks. My concern is that the disc brakes may interfere with the mounting of the rack and/or (plane ... Read More »

SPAM(ad paid for) On-One Inbred sliding dropout frame for sale

[FONT=arial,helvetica,verdana,swiss][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][B]Running this frame in MTBR for a week before hitting e-bay with it. Ad #108873 Frame is a 20" and comes with a Surly seat collar. Great shape, I'll post some pics on the classified site tomorrow. Deci ... Read More »