Jericho Bicycles Leadfoot Singlespeed

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

The Leadfoot is constructed from Columbus Zona tubing. Drivetrain options are derailleur based, single speed, or Rohloff. Canti studs are standard, and Hayes disc brake mounts are available for $50.

Leadfoot-Derailleur: $1000
Leadfoot-Single Speed: $1050
Leadfoot-Rohloff: $1150

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2004

Strengths:    lightweight
frame materail + geometry

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
I'll put it this way....before I built up the SS over a year ago, I was riding/racing a geared Moots YBB. After I built it, I only mounted the geared bike a handfull of times and sold that frame many months ago. I have an S-works epic that just gathers dust. I absolutely love the ride on this bike. The Leadfoot frame matched with an F80X fork is the best combination. This bike tracks like it's on rails. Climbs like a mountain goat and has an uncanny abiltity of finding the best lines down technical descents. nuff said!

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere up at Annadel

Similar Products Used:   Moots YBB, Stumpjumper Pro, S-works epic

Bike Setup:   XTR brakes/levers/cranks/pedals, F80X, Chris King headset + hubs, Mavic 517, Thomson post, Monkeylite bar, WTB saddle

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Mill Valley, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2004

Strengths:    Light.
Fast.
Great geometry for climbing.
Smooth ride.
Amazing fit.
My other mountain bikes (geared hardtail, geared full sus) live in the storage unit now - the Leadfoot is all I ever ride!

Weaknesses:    None so far. It took me a while to get the EBB dialed in, (I've got the 2001 model with smaller ebb) but since then it's been flawless.
I've heard complaints about customer service, but that's not my experience. I met Josh at a 24 hr race & later stopped by his shop with questions on the ebb. He took a full 90 minutes late on a Friday afternoon helping me sort out the EBB! I couldn't ask for more!

Bottom Line:
Love it. My favorite bike by far.

They may be hard to get a hold of - but they're more than worth the effort!

Favorite Trail:   Sshhh... don't tell

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Voodoo Bizango singlespeed conversion

Bike Setup:   Leadfoot frame, RS Psylo Race fork, Paul hubs, mavic x819 rims, Hayes discs, XTR cranks...

Submitted by Jed Peters a Racer from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry, handling, weight, actual durability of the frame, paint job.

Weaknesses:    Possibility of long lead times, Expensive (but worth it!).

Bottom Line:
Bottom line? Best bicycle I have EVER thrown a leg over. No joke. I love my Jericho more and more every time I ride it. It's the most fun machine I've ever had.
I recently rode my bike back to back on the same trail with another big name steel bike, and was shocked at the comfort level that my bike had over that one....it was phenomenal.

I have since gotten rid of all my other bikes, and only ride my geared Leadfoot now. I can recommend this one or the Payback for lighter riders...they really are that sweet, but Josh, the owner of Jericho, recommended the Leadfoot for my size (200 lbs.).This is what it comes down to...I was once a serious skeptic when I was first talked into this bike. Now I'm a believer. Jericho bikes are REALLY that good.

Favorite Trail:   Rockstacker, Moab/Ribbon, Grand Junction

Purchased At:   www.natomasbikeshop.com

Similar Products Used:   Seven Steel, IF Deluxe, Sycip, Steelman, Soulcraft.

Bike Setup:   Fox TALAS fork, '03 XTR kit (since November), WTB Tires, saddle, Thomson stem/post, easton bars.

Submitted by Grover a Weekend Warrior from San Diego,CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Very nice ride/handling. Great looks. The welds LOOK great

Weaknesses:    Horrible product support; long waits, lots of excuses.
(At least they are friendly about it.)

Bottom Line:
I had similar experience to the poster below. There were lots of delays (which was OK, I was willing to wait, and they kicked in a shirt) Once I got it, on the Fri before a 3 day weekend, it looked great but they forgot to provide the instructions for the eccentric BB. Once it was built up I got a few rides in, and loved the frame, untill the rear disc tab broke off at the weld. They did their tests, determined that it was a bad weld and promised a new frame. After several excuses (out of town, painter is slow etc.)and about six weeks, I had a new frame. (only had time to ride once.)So far, so good with that. But they promised me a new disc rotor to replace the one that bent when the mount failed, as well as some schwag for my time and patience. None of that has happened yet (the rotor is "backordered from their supplier"?)
Bottom line is: It is a great frame. (even with the disc tab mishap, which I write off to a fluke.) But the service, when buying AND returning for warranty, negates all of that, and keeps me from being able to recommend buying from Jericho. There are several other companies that build custom Single Speed frames. If I had it to do again I'd buy from someone else. At least untill they get their act together.

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, Bianchi BOSS

Bike Setup:   Single speed: Zoke Z2 Atom Race, Truvative Stylo cranks, thomson post/stem, Monkey lites, Avid Discs, Paul/mustang wheelset.

Submitted by Pete a Racer from Ann Arbor, Mi

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2002

Strengths:    Steel
technology
Beatiful paint

Weaknesses:    Service is non-existent

Bottom Line:
Had a chance to check a Jericho Leadfoot out at a 24hr Adrenaline event at Hurkey Creek. There was some single speed riders there and one of them had a disc specific Leadfoot. I tried it out and I knew that I needed one...Great point and shoot geometry and it looked extremely well made. The dude who owned it was quite happy with it.
After talking with Jericho, I placed an order for a frame with my LBS in October of 01 and was told that it would be completed in about 8 weeks.
Well that didnt happen. So I called in the middle of December and talked to Josh and he read back my order verbatim and he told me that it was "on the board" and that it would be shipped in the first week in January. I said that it was no problem and that I didnt mind the wait.
Well that didnt happen either...
BUT, towards the end of february they did call my LBS and said they were ready to ship...with a frame....that I didnt order...
So its March now and no frame but the one that I ordered
can be built in about 6 weeks! So I said okay and Josh thanked me for my patience and left me his personal email.
And its April and a few emails to Josh\Jericho and no response. Sooo I had my LBS cancel the order. Cut my losses and moved on.
The long and short of it is this....I didnt mind the wait for the frame. My contention with Jericho was the lack of communication. They promised me everything and delivered on nothing. If they had contacted me once and let me know what was going on I would not have cancelled the order. When your willing to spend $$$ on a custom frame service should be part of the story... 5 chilis for the quality frame and 1 chili for the outlandish service...

Favorite Trail:   The Rim@Porcupine

Similar Products Used:   yoooooEddy

Submitted by david yakaitis a Cross Country Rider from oakland

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, short wheel base (extremely nimble and responsive) absorbs bumps well for hardtail

Bottom Line:
after being intoduced to single speed riding and jericho by forrest i just had to own one. there isn't a better way to enjoy the fast rolling, windy single tracks of santa cruz, marin and the oakland hills. the leadfoot is light and quick on the uphills and easy to maneuver on the downhills. i recommend the bigger tires which improve the handling immensely. i think the leadfoot is for the experienced and fit cross country rider that wants to add a new dimension to their riding. i like riding this thing so much i am staring to race it!

Similar Products Used:   bontrager ti hardtail

Bike Setup:   chris king wheel and headset and hubs, shimano xtr cranks, hayes disc brakes, marzocchi marathon shock, wtb rims, tires (2.5 front, 2.4 rear) seat and pedals, koski handle bars

Submitted by bones a Cross Country Rider from North America

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2002

Strengths:    Beautiful framework, very nice welds, excellent paint, very responsive ride, great singletrack geometry.

Weaknesses:    The eccentric bb adjustment, the eccentric bb, constantly peeling stickers.

Bottom Line:
When the opportunity to purchase a Jericho singlespeed came up I couldn't resist. After meeting the frame-guru, Josh Ogle, at a 24hours of adrenalin race and chatting with him, it was obvious that his bikes are some of the best and definitely most progressive on the market.

After a thorough flogging of the leadfoot frame including a 24hour race, and a southwestern US mountain bike tour, my Jericho is easily the best bike I've owned. Even the National trail in Phoenix was cake to descend on this bike. The geometry is really fun in singletrack and it climbs very well. The paint has stayed very nice, finally a strong powdercoat! It's definitely a head-turner and generates quite a bit of trailside bike-lust.

The problems I have had with the bike have been worthwhile. But they are worth mentioning:

First of all, the frame I own now is the second version. The first ridden for a month or so before I noticed that the rear triangle was way off. A series of miswelds and inequalities in the triangle, explained why the bike just never felt right to me and that no matter what size of wheel I put on there the paint on one side of the chainstays was worn through. Josh did the right thing by building a new frame for me. Both frames were supposed to be belt-drive compatible also, but both versions came without that option. Secondly, the eccentric bb has cracked. Jericho has promised me a new one that is hard anodized but it's a month overdue and I haven't heard from them yet.

Jericho is definitely on the leading edge of bicycle building, a trip to their shop will convince you that they are comitted to making the best of everything. The technology that they are developing for all types of bikes is ahead of the times but still in the refinement stages. That said, I love my Jericho and wouldn't trade it for anything and I would recommend anyone wanting a cutting edge bike to take a serious look at these bikes. Keep calling though as they're customer service is great but you have to keep reminding them about your request.

5 chilis for alot of frame and talent for the cost that is a couple hundred less than comparible frames.
4 chilis for overall due to the problems experienced.

Favorite Trail:   Magic Carpet

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Nzumbi ss, homebuilt marin ss.

Bike Setup:   Jericho Leadfoot eccentric, Phil Wood/Mavic 317 disc wheels, Hayes hydraulic front/rear, King h/s, Thomson stem/ seatpost, WTB rocket V saddle, WTB mutanoraptor (2.4) rear, Weirwolf (2.5) front, raceface cranks, raceface bb.

Submitted by Forrest Arakawa a Downhiller from Pleasant Hill Ca

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    Great for descending technical terrain. Handles well in fast rocky sections. Not having a cross support on the chainstays gives you the feeling that there is a shock back there! Very lightweight. Sucks up small and large hits like they aren't there. Perfect geometry for tight single track.

Bottom Line:
I'm not one to ride hardtails, in fact I've always ridden suspension bikes, but.... My buddy Mark talked me into doing a single speed race in Marin. I didn't have a bike so his friend Josh lent me one. It was a Jericho with Discs. At first I was really skeptical as to the descending prowess of this bike. But during the race I realized that you don't need a DH rig to descend. I was able to fly through and over sections where a DH bike may have been the norm.
This bike was more enjoyable to ride than any of my longtravel bikes due to the low amount of chatter. My DH rigs make so much noise on cross country rides that I actually start freaking out! Now, since buying one of these, I'm the silent guy! It really is cool not having to deal with derailleurs all the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a firm believer in suspension bikes but... I'll be riding my single speed on at least once a week from now on....

Favorite Trail:   Redwood Peak Trail

Similar Products Used:   Phil Wood Kiss off. Voodoo. IF. Bianchi.

Bike Setup:   WTB Laserbeam wheels and hubs. WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 in the front and 2.1 Nano in the rear. Hayes. Koski bar, Thompson stem. Marzocchi X fly 100. King headset. WTB pedals. XTR cranks. Jericho chanring. Rohloff chain. WTB Laserbeam saddle.

Jericho Leadfoot - Limitations?

so i pickup up a steel jericho leadfoot frame last week to make the jump into the single speed world. i built it up this last weekend with donor parts from my other mtb to get a feel for it and i found myself jumping everything i could find and jibbing ledges and benches all over town. i really dont ... Read More »

jericho leadfoot gearing question

i have a jericho leadfoot, and i want to change the gearing. i'm currently running 34/17. i originally wanted 34/18, but when i bought the bike the shop told me that gearing wouldn't work due, i guess, to the range of the EBB. the shop also told me that the next easiest gearing i could run is 36/ ... Read More »

Jericho Leadfoot Appraisal

I have a #4 (I think) Jericho Leadfoot, not sure of year, but it has the small EBB and the rear caliper mounted between the seat stay and chainstay. The frame is in what I would estimate 85-90% of new condition with a couple of small dings and limited scratches (no rust) I would be including the rea ... Read More »

Spammage: NEW Jericho Singlespeed Leadfoot frame

Sorry for the spam, but I thought it might be forum-specific. I've got a NEW Jericho singlespeed Leadfoot frame on eBay right now. If you have any questions, feel free to PM or email me. I'd like to see this go to a MTBR.com member. Auction is [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... Read More »

Jericho Leadfoot for sale in classifieds

Someone needs to get their ride "pimped" as the kids say... medium Leadfoot EBB. [URL=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=MtbReview&website=MtbReview&language=&session_key=43ee60a36dd7cdc3&search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=97440&results_format=long&photo_size= ... Read More »