GT Peace Singlespeed

4.42/5 (12 Reviews)

• Seat Post: 3-D cold forged, micro adjust
  • Chain: KMC Z610 HX 3/32"
  • Rims: WTB SpeedDisc, 24mm wide double wall, 32 hole
  • Handlebar: Truvativ XR Riser, 25mm rise
  • Pedals: Bolt-on alloy cage with alloy body
  • Crankset: Truvativ Blaze, forged AL 66
  • Fork: GT design, 4130 cr-mo rigid XC fork
  • Frame: GT Triple Triangle SS design

Submitted by Kale Laverentz a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2012

Strengths:    Like many other people have said this is a great introduction into the world of single speeds, 29er's, and for me disc brakes. I just got back into mtn. biking after a 10 year hiatus (last bike was a early 90's rockhopper) so this bike since light and just plain fun to ride. I would highly recommend !

Weaknesses:    I don't know enough about bikes to identify any yet.

Bottom Line:
Go for it and try this bike I love it!

Favorite Trail:   Perry Lake trails

Duration Product Used:   10 hrs

Purchased At:   CL

Submitted by seitzer a Weekend Warrior from West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2010

Strengths:    I love this bike so far. I've only had it one weekend and I've put about 30 miles on it so far. Frame is tough and I really like the disc brakes. The 29 inch tires are great for momentum and rolling over...well, everything. I had a geared MTB before; but I'm loving the simplicity of the single speed. It's also a great workout. I'm trading out the 18T rear cog for the 14T. The top speed was just too low for me, so I'll pay the price for starts and hills. Oh well!

Weaknesses:    QR Seat Clamp. I've seen lots of posts about slippage, etc. Well, mine just completely broke. It's plastic though, so go figure. I plan to either get an allow QR clamp or an alloy fixed clamp.

Bottom Line:
I love it so far. This is my first single speed 29er. I'm a minimalist and don't want to spend my time in the repair shop getting tune-ups and routine maintenance on gear components. The single speeds have a sort of cult following to them. Definitely gets noticed by the bikers.

Favorite Trail:   Mud City, USA

Purchased At:   Lake Worth Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn geared MTB

Bike Setup:   2008 model. Stock minus the 14T rear cog.

Submitted by hector a Cross Country Rider from tucson az usa

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2010

Strengths:    all around excellent bike

Weaknesses:    none to speak of

Bottom Line:
excellent bike. purchased as an intro to 29ers and single speeds. road the bike for two years. done everything from cross country to technical decents to long grueling climbs. this bike has seen it all. longest trail ride was a little over 60 miles(check out www.epicrides.com and look up the tour of the white mtns). this bike has done me well.
after two years as a rigid i purchased reba race fork. makes riding this bike that much better.
this bike has ridden every trail in tucson and phx i have done on fully squishies, but it is much funner on the ss.

Favorite Trail:   anyting in tucson mtn park

Purchased At:   ajo bikes

Similar Products Used:   dbr squishes, fisher cake, specialized rockhopper

Bike Setup:   reba race fork, and avid bb5s

Submitted by Colo Springs E a Weekend Warrior from Colo Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Strengths:    Geometry, seems solid, decent components, price

Weaknesses:    Stock pedals

Bottom Line:
I will qualify my comments: I'm brand new to single-speeding, and not particularly knowledgeable about technical aspects of bikes. That said, I'm 47 and have been mtn biking since the early 90s so I have had a good bit of experience on trails particularly in technical stuff.

I like my GT Peace! Mine is an 07 model bought new. Mine doesn't have the EBB and mine is a 26er. At 5'6", twenty-nine inch wheels simply feel to big and cumbersome to me.

This bike climbs well and the gear ratio (whatever it is) seems just about perfect to me. The only tough part for me is on straight-out level flats--I always feel I'm spinning too fast. I assume that might be the case with most single-speeds. For climbing moderate steady hills and or quick steeper climbs, it feels perfect.

Much is made of weight in mtn biking. I couldn't care less. The more weight the better the workout is the way I look at it. I assume this bike is on the heavier side, but again, I don't care. Mine's completely rigid, and stock other than the pedal upgrade (my feet kept slipping on the stock ones).

Overall, I highly recommend!

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Stock except swapped pedals for Forte Shovels

Submitted by MarkCAAD3 a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2009

Strengths:    Single Speed, Cost

Weaknesses:    Weight, brakes, tires, handling, seat post binder

Bottom Line:
Good entry level Single Speed (SS), but that is where it ends. This bike is heavy and sluggish. It climbs like its going thru mud.

The disc brakes stop well but that may be because I can't get the front to stop rubbing. I would recommend this if you do not want to go fast and are looking for a beginner SS MTB. If you are not fast and just looking at doing flat single track.

The tires wash out in dry conditions. I have an 08 with WTB DNA, they are not good at all. I will be replacing very soon with IRC Mythos which are lighter and hook up wet or dry.

The frame alone weighs 5.5 pounds so this out weighs my fully geared Stumpjumper hardtail. Yes I'm looking for a new frame, also looking at Avid brakes. The BB clicks under pressure.

I put a Manitou Minute on this before the first ride and will have the frame switched out pretty soon, although riding the peace makes me faster on all my other bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Salmon Falls

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper geared

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute 100mm fork

Submitted by breck50 a Cross Country Rider from monument, co, usa

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Solid,good geometry, decent quality, very good value for the money.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but at the price, that was expected.

Bottom Line:
Bought a used 29er Peace off Craigslist. It was the best money I have spent on a bike. It gives me a great workout, since I have to pedal harder on the hills and faster on the flats. Just riding this single is making me a better rider on my geared bikes. I highly recommend the single for anyone looking to add something different to their bike collection!

Favorite Trail:   everything

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the tires, swapped out for Maxxis. Also different grips.

Submitted by Alloy a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2009

Strengths:    Comes great set up with decent parts. 2009 has a nicer frame than previous models. They got rid of the creaky eccentric BB. This is the 29er version I have.

Weaknesses:    Tektro mechanical brakes--replaced them right away with BB7's

Bottom Line:
This bike fits me great, I'm 6'1 and the large frame was perfect. Where I ride there is a lot of mud. Now the 29" wheels take some grunts to get moving, but once they start I just roll through the mud. I've ridden a geared bike for years. Sold it after getting to this. I'm riding it stock, for the price it is sweet. Doesn't feel as bulky as you might think, even for it's size.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   raleigh XXIX

Bike Setup:   Stock for now

Submitted by vlipgyore a Cross Country Rider from Laguna Beach, CA. USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    Great way to break into 29er AND single speed realm without spending a lot of dough.
Solid frame (steel is strong and forgiving) and wheels (heavy but durable).
A damn good value!

Weaknesses:    Really none if you dont ride it hard - if you do then: seatpost, headset, bottom bracket, hubs - in that order.

Bottom Line:
I had been curious to try a single speed so I bought this bike on a whim figuring if the 29er, single-spped thing wasn't for me then I wouldn't be out a lot of money. That was 10 months ago and I haven't ridden my geared bike more than twice since then!
I love this bike and ride her 3 times a week - I feel like I've just wrestled a gorilla when I am done with my ride but this bike has done more for my ftness level than any other bike since my first (Schwinn Sierra MOS) 18 years ago!

Favorite Trail:   Aliso Woods

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   None - I've only had 26" geared bikes with various suspension setups.

Bike Setup:   I now sport a Thompson seatpost and stem, FSA orbit xtreme pro headset, Easton Monkey lite bars, Shimano SLX crank & BB, Salsa QR clamp and Surly 20T cog (that 18T was brutal on my local hills) - I'm now in searcvh of a decent wheelset on eBay since my LBS said my original wheelset is terminally ill. The original brakes and levers remain.

Submitted by Tricky13 a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2008

Strengths:    OLD SCHOOL!!!

This bike is an absolute delight to ride. It is uber-cool, simple and as beautiful as an old-movie screen siren.

Weaknesses:    It is what it is with good, but not outstanding quality componentry. The main issue I found is trying to set up the Tektro Aquila brake pads to sit parallel to the rotor. Haven't mastered that yet!

Bottom Line:
A superb bike that is a delight to ride. Welcome back cro-moly frames, I forgot how comfortable steel frames were! It's been a long time since I rode my cool 'Dragster' back in the 70's and this is as close to rekindling my youth as I can get. On the road this bike is as much fun to ride as my FSR Stumpy is cross-country!

If you like old-school simplicity and a very beautiful looking and timeless bike then look no further. It won't win any races but if you're looking for something different to just jump on and ride then this bike is it.

Purchased At:   City Bike Depot (Syd

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Hardtail, Malvern Star Dragster (hehehe)

Bike Setup:   Stock, but changed to tyres for Maxxis 'Holy Rollers' and glad I did. These tyres are terrific for urban riding and soak up the bumps well yet roll without effort on the tarmac.

Submitted by flightmedic_tim a Cross Country Rider from Jonesboro, AR

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2008

Strengths:    Bullit proof, good components, 29'r

Weaknesses:    seat tube and clamp

Bottom Line:
First bike since a fews years off a bike (school and new daughter) and I wanted a SS. Glad I went with the GT. It is solid and fast on the trail and with the 29r you can just about roll over everything. I am glad I got rid of my other bikes because I wouldn't ride them again after this one. GET THIS BIKE you will NOT regret it!

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop- Jones

Similar Products Used:   Giant, Specialized Epic FS

Bike Setup:   Stock except just swapped stock grips for OURY's

Submitted by phudnut a Cross Country Rider from Jackson Hole, WY USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2008

Strengths:    simple, durable, good parts at this price (a lot of easton stuff, the cranks and BB are good stuff) the steel triple triangle frame is forgiving for a hardtail and an oldschool throwback. I dig it and I thrash my gear hard

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, but at this price I'd rather have durable and heavy over flimsy and light. narrow seatpost (but when I singlespeed I spend a lot more time standing on the pedals) not impressed with the cane creek headset, had to dish and tighten the wheels when the bike came.

Bottom Line:
I'm 25 but I started riding mountain bikes in '92 when I was 9. I like racing x-country and hitting jumps and stunts. I think all aspects of mountain biking are cool. I have other bikes but this one is seeing a lot of ride time. It's a cool bike, and the frame is a classic, not a cheap hunk of steel. I have a tall fork on the bike which makes the geometry pretty slack, I think the slower handling works well for a hardtail. Mine has 26 inch wheels, I don't think GT offers this bike without 29 inch wheels now. Singlespeeds aren't for most riders. It is just plain hard to crunch them up long uphills at altitude. I think it's a good bike and a good value.

Favorite Trail:   panguitch, utah, reno flag bear deadmans, crested butte, hagen/farrins/wilson canyon, jackson hole

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   this is bike #4. I also have a Bianchi Cross bike, a Santa Cruz Heckler, and a Specialized S-Works FSR. This is the first hardtail mountain bike I've had since my first generation Schwinn Homegrown. Definately like steel better than aluminum.

Bike Setup:   as it came, but put a Reba w/ 100mm of travel up front.

Submitted by Tony a Downhiller from Maryland

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2008

Strengths:    Decent components, good solid wheels, good feel

Weaknesses:    None thus far

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I use it mostly for commuting but do not hesitate to take it on any XC trails(I ride it at the Frederick Watershed in MD if you know where that is). Its a solid bike, highly recommended as a first SS bike. My only potential regret is not getting the 9'er version, but still an outstanding bike. 5 flaming turds for value and overall.

Favorite Trail:   the watershed