Cannondale 1FG Singlespeed

4.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by paul j a Cross Country Rider from chaska ,mn, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2011

Strengths:    I love my 1fg . I would not trade it for any bike in the world. I was lucky enough to stumble into this bike . never even seen or heard of it before. It is upgraded at every component and it only weighs 16 lbs. It is virtually maintenance free and is a beautiful ride.I have not had a problem yet with the eccentric bracket yet but from what i read i know its just a matter of time. I am thinking if you weigh over 200 lbs and you are very hard on your bike than maybe this isnt the bike 4 you. If your under 200 and you take care of it you will be rewarded with the lowest maintenance ,the nicest ride that money can buy.I Had a softride MTB that I paid 2500.00 and rode for 10 years and I liked it alot. This Cannondale is better.I should add that with out my Mavic Crossmax SUP ceramic rims and hubs I am not sure that would feel the same.

Weaknesses:    You cant tske it with you when you die'

Bottom Line:
Make the bike as light as possible (You only need 1 brake ) Buy the best and the lightest parts you can get and do not have anything on the bike you do not need. NOTHING

Favorite Trail:   chaska

Purchased At:   pawn america

Similar Products Used:   Huffy Pro thunder

Bike Setup:   If you really want to know call me 952 381 4509

Submitted by rob from edinburgh

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    light and fun

Weaknesses:    c'dale b/b is no good as all

Bottom Line:
great realy fun bike, i only ride this now but the cdale ebb is rubbish, i ordered a new one from seven and put that is and iv never had to adjust it. the stocl stem is huge but that came off before i left the store. bike feels like my old beast of the east only even more fun.

Purchased At:   875

Similar Products Used:   on one

Bike Setup:   stock with hayes brakes, new stem seat and ebb

Submitted by karl a Racer from Baltimore

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Strengths:    No nonsence, stiff and light.

Weaknesses:    BB a bit of a pain

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike used after a hammer session with a bunch of local Single Speed riders convinced me to try it. I rented one and bought it from the store directly after the first ride. My other mtn ride is a Scalpel 2000 which has been a bit of a mechanical nightmare so the Single Speed is a refreshing change. It is a terrific ride. Very responsive and very quick over all terrain. It forces you to adjust your riding style and energy management for the better. For those of you concerned with speed and efficiency... Over a regular 13 mile loop on mildly technical rolling terrain (Patapsco State Park, Md) I completed a ride in 1:13 with an average HR of 156. The intention was to ride at a steady pace, not to hammer. The next day I ran the same loop under near identical conditions and with the same intention on the 1FG and completed it 3 minutes quicker with an average HR of 161. This type of comparrison has been pretty constant on any number of other similarly matched runs. In essence the Single Speed demands more in the way of energy from you but it does it quite naturally. Hill riding is the trick. On a long climb there is no gearing out, you simply have to knuckle down, find your pace and get the job done. Though the bike is beautifully simple it is a much more complicated machine to master than a gear'd machine but so much more rewarding to ride.
I'd agree with some of the notes on the components, a little iffy at times. Overall the the 1FG is a thing of beauty. The Eccentric BB set-up can be a little fickle to adjust but the quick release rear is a real advantage for quick flat fixes so all is good. I love this bike. I love that it never breaks and that it hurts in all the right ways and I love that it cost a fraction of its geared relatives and can gobble them up on the trail.......If you're looking for a Single Speed this is a pretty good one.

Purchased At:   Light Street Cycles

Similar Products Used:   first Single Speed..all else is geared, road and Mtn

Bike Setup:   Fully rigid 03 but Upgraded to lighter bar, stem and post with Avid Mechanicals in the rear and running Fire XC Pros

Submitted by Jesse VOZA a Racer from St-Martin, Caribbean

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2006

Strengths:    - Simple
- Clean
- Look
- Stiff
- Light
- Troublefree

Weaknesses:    - BB Shell
- Cheap parts

Bottom Line:
I own 4 bikes and this one is really unique.
It is light (9.5kg) and always ready to ride. Nothing to adjust, just go. Reliability is 100%.
It is true that you have to ride it differently. Momentum is key. Hard on the wrists. I have the 1st version and I think it is the nicest.

Now for the BB, if you grease it too much it moves, if you don't, it creaks. To adjust it easier, turn it around, you will be able to access 'the bolt' without removing the crank. Also intall the self removing bolts from a road bike.

Upgrading your freewheel with one from White Industries is a nice addition. Also, put a pair of 2.25 light tires from Hutchinson.

Happy riding.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rim in Moab

Purchased At:   TRISPORT St-Maarten

Similar Products Used:   Ventana ss 29'

Bike Setup:   Upgraded with XT and tubeless

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2005

Strengths:    One F*&#ing Gear baby.

Weaknesses:    I have had issues with the EBB slipping as well, but it seems to slip less after you've had the bike a while.

Bottom Line:
The EBB and vertical drop-outs, although sometimes a pain to adjust, allows you to use a standard quick release on the back wheel so you don't have to carry wrenchs like you do with horizontal drops. Initially, I was adjusting the silly thing after every ride and sometimes during the ride, but lately it's been good. I was on a week bike vacation and didn't have to touch it once.
One thing you should know about this frame though is that it is STIFF! My geared bike is a Specialized M4 and it's a much smoother ride. Although the 1FG is a thing of beauty with it's polished bare frame, I may have to go to a steel frame just to have a smoother ride.
Overall, a very fun bike for short rides but all day outings kick the heck out of you.

Favorite Trail:   Jumping pound/Cox hill

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   All manner of bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except XT hydraulic disks and Fox Float fork. I don't know what the stock tire is, but I'm running FireXC's. You need the grip on a ss.

Submitted by Billy Budd from Madison

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great frameset. Very cool looks. Makes me feel like a tweelve year old.

Weaknesses:    Cannondale's EBB is poorly designed. The extractor strips out easily and requires "gentle blunt force displacement". The OEM Truvativ BB seals are junk - fouled out after one winter. Cannondale replaced (funded a different BB) under warranty.

Bottom Line:
I've got a problem with stickers. First night I had my 1FG I stayed up all night and took each and every sticker off the frame, fork and wheels with a razor blade and a bottle of lighter fluid. Result: bad-ass stealth bike.

I test rode the 1FG and fell in love immediately. I haven't had so much fun on a bike since my Schwinn Predator when I was twelve. I love the rigid no-nonsense aesthetic, and it just plain makes me happy to ride. I get off-road some, but most of my miles are on asphalt. As such, I replaced the very good, but highly knobby, rubber with more street friendly tires. The Maxis will probably go back on for snow and ice commuting.

I hate the new painted 2005 frames. Horde any pre '05 raw aluminum framesets.

I imagine I'll have this bike for a long time. Attrition-necessitated upgrades (BB, headset, etc.) will improve some of the OEM parts, which are mostly mid-grade. Nice that the hubs are disc-ready.

Uber bottom line is that I love this bike. A lower retail price and/or higher quality trimmings would have increased my ratings.

Purchased At:   Willy East

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5900 10x DA isn't exactly similar, but it's my "other car".

Bike Setup:   Bushnell EBB. Race Face XC BB. Conti Traffic tires. SKS Shockboard and X-Blade fenders.

Submitted by Michael a Cross Country Rider from Lincoln, Nebraska

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2005

Strengths:    Simplicity, great looks, great in techinical areas, good for building strength and lungs. FUN

Weaknesses:    New, off the shelf is a pricey, but it is a Cannondale.

Bottom Line:
If you've been mountain biking for a long time on a variety of different bikes and want a new challenge, a single speed is the way to go. It has taken me a year to fully change my riding style. This bike forces you to ride better and smarter. It's a great feeling to follow a geared/suspended bike through a hilly, technical section and end up right on their tail.

The most rewarding ride you'll get; but you'll have to re-learn how to mountain bike again, and it won't be easy.

Favorite Trail:   Platte River State Park

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Converted an older Marin

Bike Setup:   Stock. Variety of front chainrings.

Submitted by lomoid a Weekend Warrior from brooklyn

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2005

Strengths:    super light, fast, fun, easy to set up, easy to maintain (so far), fun, looks great, did I mention fun?

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I won this on ebay and I conisdered it a real steal. It was shipped in the factory box unused and untouched. man I love the brushed aluminum look to the newer black and gold jobs---there's nothing else like it.
I was nervous at first about setting it up myself as I haven't touched a bike in 15 years, but I figured I'm handy and the worse case scenario is that I'd take it to a shop to finish it up. It turns out that it couldn't have been easier to do on my own. After reading about the problems with the EBB I was nervous, but it performed perfectly the first time I went to adjust it and It hasn't shifted or creaked since. I'm only 5'6" and 130lbs and I mainly ride in the parks and on the streets of new york, so I'm not especially aggresive with it, but man, this is as much fun as I ever remember having on my GT Performer from back in the day. My only problem is that everytime I lock it up I'm afraid it will be the last time I see it.
After riding a bit I can see why a single speed isn't for everyone. . .(It's tough on the legs and lungs). . .but I can't see how anyone who's done their research and decided on a single be dissapointed in this bike. And as far as the hard tail and stiff front end, I just installed a thudbuster seatpost and it has made a huge difference in evening out the rough spots. (Based on prior reviews I would consider upgrading to the ultra fatty dl fork if riding rough isn't your thing). Bottom line:: If you are lucky enough to find one through ebay or elsewhere snatch it up. . .Im considering finding another one just to keep in storage in case anything happens to this one :]

Purchased At:   ebay-- New in box

Bike Setup:   avid bdb5 mechanicals-front and rear, thudbuster seatpost, mallet c pedals. . .otherwise stock

Submitted by Ronald a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Fun to ride, no need to think about shifting gears.

Weaknesses:    Kind of worry about the eccentric bottom bracket. I read some folks had problems with it before.

Bottom Line:
I start riding again to lose a few pounds and want to enjoy all the bike paths around DC.
I did some research online about single speed and decide to get one. This is not a cheap bike but it sure is fun. Really enjoy the fact that I don't have to think about shifting and just ride. This is not a fast bike per se but it sure is fun, bring back memories when I was a kid.

Purchased At:   CityBikes

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from westminster,ca,usa

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Price!!!Light, stiff, frame. Decent parts mix. Love the raw finish look.

Weaknesses:    Eccentric bottom bracket. Slips and creaks needs constant adjustment even after 2 trips back to LBS. EBB has pulled out to drive side on occasion :(

Bottom Line:
This is a fun bike to ride. Very quick and responsive. Great conversation piece on the trails. I have a Santa Cruz Blur but I haven't ridden it since I got the 1FG. Fully rigid aluminum frame is actually comfortable to ride. Xtra wide bars help with leverage on the hills.

The Eccentric Bottom Bracket is another story. I like the fact that I still have vertical dropouts but since first buying the bike, I've constantly had to readjust the EBB even during the middle of rides. It has come loose enough to cause chain slap and other times created too much tension. It requires a ball-end allen wrench to reach an adjusting screw on the drive side which can be a pain to get to. C-dale should have put the adjustment on the non-drive for easier access. I was wary of buying a C-dale because of issues with their Coda components and their EBB design is no exception. You'd think a SS would be less maintenence, but I'm always readjusting the EBB. Buy the 1FG if you don't mind getting playing around with the EBB.

Favorite Trail:   aliso/woods