Cannondale 1FG Ultra Singlespeed

• Fork: HeadShok Super Fatty Ultra DL
  • Rims: Mavic XM117 Disc, 32 hole
  • Hubs: Cannondale Fire front, Cannondale rear
  • Spokes: DT Champion
  • Tires: Maxxis High Roller, 26 x 2.35"

Submitted by Bryan Benson

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2013

Strengths:    Solid USA made frame- no flex! Can be found cheap now that everyone is on the 29er bandwagon. Just plain fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    Ultra fork can be tough to get serviced without canondale experienced shop. Not as plush as current forks.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike used for a great price. Rebuilt the fork and had nothing but fun since. was looking for a 29er but they were expensive. Don't believe I gave up enough performance to justify the price difference at all. If you can find one, consider it.

Submitted by esaitta3 a Weekend Warrior from Naples, FL

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    LIGHT & FAST.......No blowoff from the headshock when its locked out. Great frame.

Weaknesses:    Not a big fan of the flames, but they're growing on me. Wheelset and hubs could be better. BB is making a creaking noise. Headshock is decent. Nothing like the Fox RLC I used to have though! Hard to keep up with my wife who has a geared bike when we are riding on the street.

Bottom Line:
If you want a FAST & LIGHT singlespeed bike that looks good and has complete lockout, then this is it. I'm in FL where the terrain is mostly flat, so this should be an ideal bike.

If you want to go off jumps and dropoffs, then this is NOT for you. I actually blew the headshok on my F4 going off a 4 foot dropoff.

Happy riding!

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Road to Glory

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F4 Caffeine, 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2002 Trek 4500

Bike Setup:   Stock. Lighter tires will be my next step and will save me a pound in weight! Probly gonna get a carbon seatpost too. Don't have a lot of loot though.

Submitted by Kevin a Racer from Moreno Valley,Ca.,USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is perfect for singlspeeding, stiff and with the lock-out climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    The eccentric bottom bracket first eddition, need to be creative in removal, there new one uses what I would call a wedge push/pull removable eccentric bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
Fast, Fast and Fast. Try different tire's that work in your area. The bike is stiff and strong, the key is your front shock, this one locks out 100% with no blow off, no wasted energy climbing and downhills with suspension....

Favorite Trail:   Sycamore Canyon

Purchased At:   Supergo now gone

Similar Products Used:   none, the others are full suspention bikes.

Bike Setup:   Kings front and back.

Submitted by Erik Allen a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2007

Strengths:    simplicity, light weight, responsive...

Weaknesses:    head shock is not quite perfect, needs standard upgrades

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I look at 3000$ + bikes and for the first time I don't wish I had one. I am totaly satisfied... I get a bit tired of people asking how I like the single speed thing. As if they can't already tell by the big smile on my face.
The bike Rocks. Not that I have a lot to compare it to, but I have had nothing but fun on it. It's real fast too. I can pretty much smoke any geared bike rider on the local trails. (Providing they are somewhat close in riding ability.)

Favorite Trail:   Connector in Auburn CA

Purchased At:   Auburn Bike Works

Bike Setup:   carbon fiber seat post, short stem, downhill carbon bars, other standard stuff

Submitted by dougie a Weekend Warrior from auburn, ca.

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    Ridged frame, Very quick,

Weaknesses:    Has none

Bottom Line:
On the Auburn canyon trails were I live the bike simply kicks ass. I do very very little maintance to the bike and it just keeps going. The EBB is not a problem as I have read in other reviews. Just keep it well lubed and you can tighten the chain on the trail in few min.

Purchased At:   Byc Plus Folsom

Bike Setup:   Prety much stock. I wasnt to crazy about the canondale free wheel and bought a new hub and ENO freewheel cog. And a carbon fiber seat post gives a little kush while in the saddle.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Concord, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Frame Strength, rigidity & durability; quick handling; simplicity of design (Headshok); fun factor

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
this is a one-year follow-up review, and a hats-off review, following three successful days of Downieville Downhill runs. this bike is the perfect ss to enter into the genre, to move up into training, and to outfit/comp. for racing. The Large frame ('04) I previously reviewed has been replaced, via C-dale's frame-swap-up program, with a Small 2006 -- keeping same components and upgrading the wheelset for lighter racing (original wheelset kept for training). My Jekyll had a leaking Lefty that had to be attended last week; my Scalpel Team Replica is too precise a racing machine to bomb Downieville three days in a row, so it was up to the 1FG and 2.35" High Rollers for a weekend of hardcore, extremely technical, rutted, rocky Downieville Downhill riding. Everyone else riding (90% on 6-8" travel bikes w/full body armour and full-face helmets) thought I was nuts in my XC tighties and hardtail ss . . . .until I kept up with most, passed a couple, and caught the others that got away when the climbing started! The bike felt Great! Bottomed out the 80mm Headshok several x's, but no leaks, and the bike rode VERY solidly all three days. Get one. Grow w/it. Get stronger, ride better.

Favorite Trail:   anything Tahoe-technical or redwood singletrack'n

Similar Products Used:   no need to

Bike Setup:   Egg Beaters, carbon handlebar and seatpost; MavicX19 wheelset w/Chris King hubs; tires vary per terrain and season

Submitted by Andrew Voigtsberger a Cross Country Rider from Conshohocken, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    looks cool, fits good

Bottom Line:
whoopass bike.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Human Zoom, King of Prussia

Bike Setup:   easton cnt jawns, marta sl, race face deus cranks, thopmson.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2005

Strengths:    Headshok, tight geometry for snappy handling, light, stiff

Weaknesses:    EBB is a pain and the chainstays are too narrow for larger tires

Bottom Line:
I have a love/hate relationship with this bike. Like a lotta guys on singles, I like to ride a little bigger rear tire. But on an XL size frame and with my weight right at 200 lbs., I can scrub the chainstays with all but the smallest of tires. I'm now running a 2.1 Conti Vapor on it which looks more like a 1.9.

The other thing I don't care for is the EBB. C'dale is such an innovative company you think they could do something a little more advanced. My 15 year old tandem has an eccentric like this one. And it's just difficult to deal with, which I have to do about once a month. Take a look at Niner's design to see what a really nice, easy-to-use design is like.

All that said, I love the way this bike rides. I've absolutely beaten the crap outa this thing on trails in the midwest and in Colorado and Arizona and just love it. The head and seat tube angles are steep so the handling is lightening fast. It's light on it's feet and stiff for outa the seat climbing (though I can generate a fair amount of flex on an XL frame). And the headshok is about the perfect suspension design for singlespeed riding.

Buy it if you want a well-designed singlespeed that you can ride on tight, technical trails. Good for racing, good for weekend warriors.

Favorite Trail:   Crest in Salida

Purchased At:   $1,000

Similar Products Used:   Other bikes converted to be singles

Bike Setup:   Avid mechanicals

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Canastota NY USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, light, FUN, it floats...

Weaknesses:    stock seat, lawyer stickers UNDER clearcoat.

Bottom Line:
This is an addendum to the review I posted under the '04 column. I've had my 1FG for a year now, and still love it! I had another set of wheels laying around, so I put Specialized Hemisphere hybrid tires (cranked up to 80 psi)on and a 16t cog. I converted the freewheel with a Gusset 1'er. When I want to use the bike for commuting via bikepath, I slap those wheels on, adjust the chain and go! When I want to do the offroad thing, I put the Maxxis High Rollers back on.

I don't know why everyone complains about adjusting the BB - I use a T-handle allen wrench, reach through the "windows" in the "bash guard" and loosen it up - no problem. (If I turned the EBB around, it would be more of a PITA to get at the holes for the pin spanner)

I put Shimano XT hydraulic brakes on, not because the Avids were bad, but because I happened to have them laying around and there's no beating hydros for feel.

My bro-in-law rode this bike down a boat ramp and into a reservoir (yes, alcohol was involved) and we stood in stunned amazement as the bike FLOATED!

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Purchased At:   Advance Cyclery

Bike Setup:   stock...sort of...(see below)

Submitted by fritZman a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, light, nice paint.

Weaknesses:    Sizing when compared to other C-Dale rides. Snap ring on the ECC. Warning sticker under the clearcoat. Seat-tube bottle mounts are too high to fit larger bottles.

Bottom Line:
I love Cannondale bikes. They're super stiff, responsive, light, and ride realy well. Back that up with a lifetime warranty and you can't go wrong.

I originally rode a Scapel and loved the ride. I eventually moved to SS to get a better workout over shorter rides.

The 1FG certainly delivers. Tight, fast trails are taken to a new level with this machine. It BEGS to be ridden fast.

Swap the wedges on the EBB so you can adjust the tension from the non-drive side. Take care of the snap ring on the bolt as I broke mine and now it's a lot harder to break the drive-side wedge free.

If you ride other C-Dale bikes, take note that the 1FG has a shorter TT and rides a little more upright. I noticed the .25-5" shorter TT compared to the Scalpel. Perhaps it's designed that way to encourage you to jump out of the saddle more easily.

Similar Products Used:   Converted HT ORYX

Bike Setup:   2005 1FG, Maxm bars & seatpost, Formula B4SL+ brakes, FSA carbon cranks with Boone spiderless 32 ring, Velocity VXC rims with WTB Lazer disc hubs, Endless 16t Al cog, WTB Rocket V saddle, Extreme silicone grips.

= 19.35 lbs of rippin' speed.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Concord, Ca

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2005

Strengths:    it's a Cannondale; fairly light; singlespeed = good for: 1. mud riding, 2. strength training. Headshock and Headshock lock out; Maxxis High Rollers; fantastic geometry

Weaknesses:    cheaper brake levers, but they work and unless they break on me, they're fine

Bottom Line:
I have a Cannondale Jekyll for regular mtb riding, and racing; the 1FG, originally, was specifically for mud and strength training. CAUTION: if you have a geared bike, even a Really nice one, it will need a lot of reassurance, soothing and visiting out in the garage; perhaps bring it into the living room with you while you watch a movie or something. I can tell that I'm going to be riding the 1FG a lot more than originally planned. it's a kick to ride; I am surprised how fun it is to actually lock out the Headshock and go F/R - fully ridid; also surprised at how well it handles technical singletrack and drop-offs; though the geometry is vastly different from the Jekyll in such cases.
I am 5'4" and my 1FG is a Large. (My Jekyll is a Medium) Perhaps Cannondale sized down, but my experience resonates with the other two reviewers': This bike just fits! From the first test ride the bike was completely intuitive -- despite the apparent size vs. rider discrepancy, my 1FG feels completely intuitive, natural and good!
I had never before ridden Maxxis tires, much less a 2.35 and wasn't so sure about the intelligence of putting such a fat tire on a singlespeed. These tires are great! Very good traction up and down hill; brilliant cornering confidence, and if aired down, they add a whole lotta shock absorption and soften the ride an amazing amount.
I did get mine for a steal - @ $975 it was about 30% off retail. Even if you pay full price ($1,400), after a few rides, you won't be counting the cost; you'll be too busy having fun and reaping the rewards.
I'd originally planned on purchasing a Specialized Hardrock S.S. until I pulled one off the shelf and realized I couldn't even justify buying such a bike for my five y/o nephew -- way too heavy, disc brakes have less braking ability than the cantilever brakes on my 1991 Diamond Back Toponga. Had also considered turning a Kona Kikapu (XC race) into a S.S., but the simplicity and quality of the 1FG (not to mention the killer deal I got) changed my mind quite quickly.
Buy one. Enjoy.

Favorite Trail:   anything Tahoe-technical

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hardrock S.S.

Bike Setup:   Egg Beater pedals; wireless cyclocomputer for training and interest factor

Submitted by HALF SPEED a Cross Country Rider from Madison

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, stiff frame, with a headshok front suspension. Also has the eccentric bottom bracket, which makes things a little cleaner (also allows you to use a QR).

Weaknesses:    Eccentric BB is hard to adjust with bolt on the drive side, I have to take my cranks apart every time is switch the gear ratio. This can be a major pain in the @$$, and the thing that Cannondale says to do with the angled allen wrench doesn't work for $h!t. It only strips the bolt head out, you have to use a regular allen wrench, and the bolt is too close to the center of the cranks. I have to get the bolt really tight, to make sure it doesn't slip or creak. The only place I found the bolts at was Festanal, and I still don't know where to get a C-clip that small. Also the bearings on the headset rusted out and got really bad, after about two years of riding. I think they should have a little better seal on them. The bearings are also very hard to find and only available through Cannondale, I'm assuming that's where you can find the C-clips. I rode my frame for two years and I had to get the frame and fork warrentied.

Bottom Line:
I still think this bike is sweet. It ride super nice, and is really solid once you have it figured out. I usually don't have many problmes with it. I'm a heavy rider about 220 lbs, and I just beat on it all the time. I put on a lot of miles, and take it out west, and thats the only mtb that I ever use if I ride off road. The frame developed some cracks on the chain stays, and the fork got a really loud knock in it. Cannondale warrantied it for free, it all worked out ok. I think I might put a lefty on it, or I might just get a bike for "west rding" something with a little more suspension. But I really love the bike for riding and racing for around the midwest. Or places like Sun Valley Idaho or other smoother trails, but trails like Porcupine Rim, things get a little rough with a 80 mm hardtail if you know what I mean. I still think it's a really good bike, it fits me really well and riders like a race car. Bike is good, Cannondale sucks it gets a 4.

Favorite Trail:   Fisher Creek